1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tailoring an Limited Edition outfit?

Apr 18, 2012

1. Story time first: One of my dolls is a Soom Bygg w/unicorn parts, and she has the fullset dress and cape. Very cute. The only thing that bothers me about the outfit is the neck jewelry (scroll down on the Soom page a bit) - it's really tight against her neck and I'm worried that it would eventually damage the sealant or blushing. My plan is to take it off and move it a little farther down on the straps.

If I ever sold the altered outfit I would tell my buyer that I had done so. No question.

I know that general wear and tear and mending of unfortunate mishaps can decrease the value of an outfit, but what about tweaking an outfit so that if fits just that little bit better? There is such a huge variety of doll body shapes that an outfit made for one doll won't necessarily fit another.

Skill in execution is obviously a factor, but...

Does even a little bit of tailoring destroy the value of an outfit?

Is there a scale of how much tailoring you can do before it starts to affect the value?

Would it matter if the tailoring was reversible (e.g. shortening straps or a skirt and leaving the excess fabric)?

What about adding to an outfit? One of my dolls is rather busty, so she probably couldn't, for example, fit into one of those much-coveted Fers. I'd have to add fabric or maybe grommets and ribbon to make it able to close decently.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

2. If I planned to ever re-sell a limited outfit and wanted to get full price or more for it, I personally would not do anything to it that isn't easily completely reversible by pulling out a few stitches, which I would do before listing it for sale. If I like a limited outfit and plan to keep it, I have no problem altering it to fit whichever of my dolls I want it to fit. I think any alterations make an outfit less desirable to buyers who want to buy a specific outfit, and most people will not expect to pay full price for a garment that has been changed in some way, even if it is for the better. Many people who want specific limited outfits for a doll are trying to get the look that the fullset doll had and they may have the actual doll that the clothes were made to fit, so if the outfit is tweaked to fit another doll or made to look different from the company photos, it will not be the same as a mint outfit. If it isn't important for you to get the full original payment for this outfit if you should want to sell it later, you might as well enjoy it and make improvements.