1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Talking" Dolls

Aug 18, 2017

1. This sort of imaginative thinking is not limited to the doll world. People personify and give "life" to any number of everyday items in their daily world. It could be a cranky car who hates mornings, or a pair of unruly shoe laces that like a good fight. We imagine things and have short hand colorful ways of expressing our points of view.

I think we can even use this type of imagination when thinking about people we know. We may project their thoughts and feelings about something based on what we know about them. "He'd hate this thing." or "She would laugh at that joke." is a projection based on known parameters, but that observation may not actually be true. Have you ever people-watched in a cafe and projected who they are and what they are doing there? Other people can be just as much a part of your imagination as any other thing around you.

2. @idrisfynn: Yes, well put.

As for how my dolls "talk," I would say it's usually just a feeling I get when I spend time with them. Like "oh, I better get her out of that uncomfortable pose, I can see her joints slipping." Or "she looks really pleased in this dress, I guess she likes it." Rationally, I know this is just anthropomorphism applied to inanimate objects. But as far as I'm concerned, my dolls having this lively (slightly uncanny) presence is a feature, not a bug.

3. I definitely agree that for me, it's more the character the doll is based on that "talks" rather than the doll itself. Much like authors claim that their characters have minds of their own and make decisions independently, I consider my dolls to be an extension of my imagination and the stories in my head. So when I give them certain names or buy them certain outfits, things just "click" into place or they don't. It's an instinctual process where I pay attention to the vibes I'm getting from that character and how well they relate to my mental construct of them. If that makes any sense at all! They obviously don't really talk. Thank goodness. :sweat

4. Characters have always expressed themselves in my head, but this is the first time in a long time (since making characters for my stuffed animals as a kid) that I've had an "embodied" character with a (representative) physical presence, and I'm sure that will definitely influence his personality.

5. dolls can't talk.

6. If I say anything like that, I'm being silly. My friend has a boy who due to his stringing often arches his back when picked up. So well tell him to "quit twerking!" My Resinsoul boy sits very rigidly and primly. We may remark he seems disapproving of something another doll is doing, but we're really just playing, and nothing an inanimate object "does" according to the shape of his joints or some lax elastic or dropping eye putty has bearing on styling or financial decisions for me.

I do have conversations with the characters imaginary friend-style, and they do seem to have powerful preferences and minds of their own, but they are generally unaware of the existence of their dollself-caricatures and probably couldn't care less about wigs or shoes or photoshoots even if they did. (In all honesty most would be creeped out.) Still, it's nice to think the doll is appreciative of the brand-new prop I just put in his hands. The ability to pretend is becoming rarer these days.