1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tenshi-no-Sato Museum

May 23, 2020

1. Has anyone been able to go and visit the Volks Doll museum at the tenshi-no-sato location? What was it like? Which doll was your favorite? Were you surprised by something that you didn't know had been made before?

2. I've been there a couple times. I'm sure when I'm able to travel, I'll visit again. The grounds are beautiful, the cafe is charming, the shop has items not sold in other locations, it's great to see all the old sculpts in their museum, and great to see all of the FCS head sculpts in person.

I've been into BJDs since Volks made the first few, so I'm hard to surprise. I've seen all of them. But seeing all the sculpts displayed in order gives them historical context. I think my favorite display is the one with Hikaru Genji.

Both times I've been there when other guests had welcoming ceremonies which is a little much for me. It's so hard not to giggle through it when the song comes on, "Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You." I wish Volks would get the idea that "celebrating my love" is a euphemism for sex and switch to a new song. It's so awkward. >_<

3. Wow, that does sound hard. Have you ever made a FCS order there?

4. You can only place an FCS order at a Japanese Volks location if you have a Japanese home address. So, no I haven't personally placed an FCS order there. They used to be more lenient about allowing proxy orders (having someone who lives there place an order for you) but they don't want people doing it that way. I don't know if anyone even offers proxy services anymore.

But, being there does allow you to get a real feel for all the sculpts. They have busts lined up showing each and every head and you can take a close look at the sculpts, the eyes, the option parts, etc.They also have look books featuring the FCS sculpts and showing different makeup styles. I made notes about which sculpts I liked, in what resin colors, with what kinds of faceup. Most heads eventually rotate through VolksUSA's online Full Choice, so I was pre-shopping.

You can take photos in the designated display areas and you can take photos of the grounds, but no photos are allowed in the shop or museum. That's why I took notes rather than photos for reference.

5. Do they have clothes for sale there? Since it is Kyoto, I would imagine they would have beautiful kimono. I really hope to go one day. Fingers crossed for 2022!!!

6. Yes, I've been there are few times.
      It was actually the very first place I went the day after moving to Japan.
      I have placed my one and only FCS there but as I live quite far from Sato (all the way in Ibaraki) I picked up my order at a closer Sumika location and thus no Welcoming Ceremony.

It's super fun and relaxing as there are various photo spaces both within the main building, around the grounds and in the Dolly Doctor's office. I also love the shop as they have specialty items that aren't sold at other locations such as option hands and feet for sunlight skin and YoSD option parts like hands and wings for YoTenshi. They do, as many Sumika locations do, have some dealer clothes, eyes and props for sale as well as VOLKS clothes so sometimes there are kimono but just because it's in Kyoto doesn't necessarily mean that you'll find doll-sized kimono for sale when you go as their stock is limited and restocks seem to be random. Coordinate models and OneOffs are also super fun although I've never entered for nor purchased one.
      The museum doesn't really change much aside from some new LEs being added and some older dolls being taken down for maintenance every now and again. My favorite part of the museum is the old standard F-01 corner and they also occasionally have a seasonal display in between the two sections of the museum (standards and LEs are in separate halves of the floor). The Pureskin Bisque Kasumi was also gorgeous every time I've seen her.

I wish you luck on your trip there! It's definitely a place that all BJD enthusiasts should visit if they have the opportunity:3nodding:
      Remember to make a reservation and bring your passport/photo I.D. or they will not let you in.