1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The BJD Crash

Aug 15, 2010

1. In that case I would buy tons of doll stuff for my boys!:lol:
      But seriously `m against changes. All these market games are so painful for companies! I wish people, who made my boys, prosperity, not crash.

2. I, for one, would adopt like a madwoman if there were a BJD crash. I suspect this "crash" wouldn't last long considering how many people share my point of view.

3. Oh goodness! That sounds rather frightening!

But honestly, it would make it make it much easier for me to get dolls! Just like Zuka Engel said, I'd be able to snatch up some BJDs I couldn't have afforded otherwise with the value down so low! (And I would! I'd go on a BJD shopping spree!) But I'd be more worried about the actual stores closing down!! OAO; I'd be really scared of never getting anything else for my BJDs and all those abandoned things!

4. I would be so happy to actually be able to purchase one with the little money I have, that a crash wouldn't bother me. And I would probably keep them forever and they might be worth something when I'm old. :)

5. I tihnk I'm going to have to agree with sakuraharu on this one. BJD prices actually CAN'T go down a whole lot because of the costs of making them. We won't be seeing $50 SD sized dolls any time soon because the cost of the resin/equipment etc would be more than that! lol
      Then again...I think this is supposed to be a hypothetical question so...
      I suppose I would be bothered because of the amount of money I spent, (like buying electronics when they're new and nifty and shiny, only to have the prices drop a few months later...ie...if only I'd WAITED!! lol), but I certainly wouln't love my dolls any less because of it :)

6. I would still collect. She would be just as cute for $50 as she was for $600. Then I could afford to buy her more friends.

7. Since I don't buy BJDs to sell them for a profit, I wouldn't love my dolls less if they lose their secondary market value, but I'd be upset if a crash means that certain doll companies would disappear. If a large chunk of collectors would dump their dolls for cheap at the secondary market (due to loss of interest for example), less people will buy from companies. Companies would then raise prices to cover the costs of keeping up production with fewer sales, but that would put off customers as long as there are cheap dolls in the secondary market.

Once people want molds that are no longer in production (company went down under), prices for those dolls would go up, but that won't bring the company back. I'd be sad to see the loss of diversity a crash would bring.

8. I don't purchase dolls just for resale value either-- I'm still hanging onto them, so I don't see a crash affecting me. Right now, a good many of my dolls are NOT worth what I paid for them in 2005, because there has already been a bit of a crash (or, at least, the market has become extremely squishy) in the demand & resale value of older Volks dolls, and even the scarcest Dollmore limiteds have never really been a hot resale ticket. This is the usual way of markets though, as fads & tastes always fluctuate. If you hang onto anything long enough it'll become desirable again at some point.

If a massive worldwide crash meant being able to get more fabulous secondhand things for cheaper, that would be a windfall, especially for old/limited/discontinued/HTF sculpts. But productionwise, I think a more likely side-effect is along the lines of what Muisje just said, there could be the loss of a lot of wonderful companies/studios who couldn't afford to stay in business. Which would be awful.

9. This is the only part I would worry about. Not sure where else it was said, except that it was said a few times; if a crash caused the costs to really plummet to where it cost more to make the dolls than they would ever make from selling them, they really might vanish. ;~; It would be difficult to recover from that.

10. When I buy a doll, I don't buying it while thinking about how much I might get for it later or what the value might be after a few years. I buy them because I love them and they inspire me. If something like this happened, that wouldn't change and I would definitely still want to collect them. :3

11. I have to go with the opposite mind frame of most people on this thread..

If a BJD crash did somehow happen.. Yes I would be bothered. I don't buy my dolls as an investment or because what they are worth, but it is a comfort. If something were to ever happen where I would have to sell a doll for whatever reason, I like that I can get my money back. It may take a bit to sell, but I can usually get most of what I paid back. I would never think of my dolls as a waste of money, but I have had other hobbies where I spent A LOT and when it faded out, I was SOL.

Let's do Beanie Babies for example~ XD When I was a kid I wasted SO much money on these. I had limiteds, HTF, special double tagged things, etc. I didn't buy them for their cost, but I made sure to keep them in good conidition and didn't play roughly with them. They are now worth about $1-$2 nowadays. That crash sort of blows. It's nothing compared to BJD, it's just a quick example.

Never to say I would love my dolls any less or feel bad about what I spent for them.. (well, maybe if I spent 2x or 3x the original price, perhaps) but it is nice to know when you buy a doll, as long as you treat them right, you can generally get back what you paid.

12. I would still buy BJDs regardless because I'm not purchasing them for investment purposes. It's sort of like buying a car I like, once the car leaves the dealership it decreases in value but if it's a car I like, I'll end up liking it regardless of its value. Plus, I don't have plans to sell my current BJD and dolls or BJDs I get in the future so to me, it doesn't matter if there was a BJD crash or not.

13. I definitely still love my dollie the same as I do now and I would still be interested in collecting them.

14. It would be great! I would have alot more dolls and accesories. I can hardly wait until it happens.

15. As a "fashionista" in MMO's, i'm accustomed to paying more for items when they're very first released, even if the game company makes them mass released and cheap as dirt later. I think i'd be just fine if they're value tanked. I love them for what they are, not their price tag.

However, the sad downside would be that they'd likely to cease to be made. If the company can't make up for the cost of labor and production, and the skilled artist that are required to make each doll, i don't think they'd continue to make them at all. And if they did they'd likely have to lower the quality of materials used. Would anyone really want that?

Even if they cost an arm and a leg, i'd prefer for BJD's to keep their value so they can keep being made, and keep being such a lovely quality.

16. Actually, like everything else, the value for these dolls has decreased considerably in the past few years. You see this in the Marketplace in terms of pricing and how long many dolls remain unsold. In addition, lots of Korean companies have reduced pricing on their dolls to reflect the economic drop in the market.

For me personally, I don't buy my dolls as investments in any way, and haven't found myself in a situation where I had to sell any, so it really doesn't matter what happens in the market as far as I am concerned and has little or no bearing on how I feel about the dolls. When I have sold dolls, I have been lucky enough to at least recoup a fairly high percentage of what I paid for them, which is all I ask to be able to do.

17. These companies already exist. They produce "relatively" cheap/inexpensive bjds which IMHO directly affects how people feel about purchasing a better quality, higher priced doll. The bjd companies that spring up overnight just trying to make a quick profit have already seen a crash, so to speak, of their own, because so few people purchase their poorly designed dolls. I am with most here who buy on the feeling they get when a doll "calls" to them. You know it almost immediately when the doll will be yours, and then you can't stop going to the website to look at the doll one-more-time, and then you buy, not ever thinking about the price in terms of future monetary value. The value is inherent to your feelings and memories. Interesting thread. Best, Ani

18. I like the sentiment expressed here about the feeling you get when a doll "calls" to you. Thank you.

19. yes and I will always love my dolls. If they lost the value I would probably still collect them because well it is something I enjoy no matter how valuable they are. If they were being produced less often though that would be the only way I would stop.

20. If the current pricing structure collasped, and values plummeted, I would probably snap up as many dolls as I could before the companies folded. The only thing that holds me back from owning more dolls is price. My wallet just isn't as big as my eyes.