1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Buying Experience: In-Person vs Internet

Feb 15, 2010

1. Most people simply don't have a choice. But if I did, it depends on what I'm doing:

If I'm browsing, in person is definitely the way to go.
      If I am after something specific, online is king.

Regarding accessibility, buying experience and product quality--this is kind of a nonsensical question. If a company truly lacked in any one of these, that would be enough to largely kill my interest.

A company that can't sell to you (geographically or whatever), you can't buy from.
      A company that does not have any customer service will not have many repeat customers.
      A company without products you want to buy (including items always out of stock), you also can't buy from, by definition.

It's about maintaining minimum standards in all 3 fields rather than picking and choosing.

Personally, I prefer stores with both online and store presence. If the two are linked well (like Best Buy), then bonus points to them.

2. I personally, think Volks is a bit of an odd example, since their way of selling and marketing is vastly different that most companies.

Only a choice few use brick and morter stores, and despite how many of us would love to go to a physical store and look at the dolls in person, I have zero issue with using the internet for most of my doll shopping. However, I prefer handling distributors both to save on shipping and to get past language barriers.

3. If you had a choice, would you prefer to buy dolls in-person or over the internet? Which type of buying experience do you feel is better and why?

I would rather have it in person. It would be great if i'll see the doll that i'm going to buy in person. For instance, when you buy something in the net and you looked at the pictures, there is a limit in the pictures. It doesn't have much details and the color of the product may be different because of the lighting. and at least, You wont REGRET anything. You've seen it with your own 2 eyes. I think that buying dolls in person is a good idea but you see, there are only limited countries who offer this kind of services. For instance, my country doesn't have any BJD stores so we just need to use the internet to see the pictures.

Which is most important to you: accessibility, quality buying experience or the product? In your opinion, can you have one without the other? Is the buying experience a part of the product or should it be?

I think the most important for me is the quality buying experience. I think that all of it should exist among the shops. The accessibility would be first in line followed by the quality buying experience and the product it self. Buying experience is also a part of the product. I can remember my feasibility study that the all of it should be considered before selling the product because it will affect the sales of the product to your target market.

Which company-type (NOT company) do you think is best: internet only, internet and in-person or in-person only? Why?

internet and in-person. The idea of accessibility reigns with these ideas. The buyer will be rest assured that the product comes from a place and it is trustworthy to buy from that store. Would you consider to see the product yourself? Many people don't trust online stores because there's a tendency that they would be scammed or they will be disappointed about the product if they have already received it in person.

4. If you had a choice, would you prefer to buy dolls in-person or over the internet? Which type of buying experience do you feel is better and why?

I MUCH prefer to buy them in person. I have brought a few dolls from local people now, and I feel happy that they will be able to see the doll whenever they like and I can get a good look at the doll before I decide to buy. It negates shipping costs and import costs, I suppose the only problem is there is never much variety.

Which is most important to you: accessibility, quality buying experience or the product? In your opinion, can you have one without the other? Is the buying experience a part of the product or should it be?

I wouldn't say buying a doll is part of the product one recieves. I'm not entierly sure how to answer this question! I suppose the most important thing for me in buying a doll, is indeed the doll itself. I would prefer a good experience in buying the doll though.

Which company-type (NOT company) do you think is best: internet only, internet and in-person or in-person only? Why?

I think both would be nice. When I was at Dollheart shop in HK, I was able to look at dolls from the box, new, untouched and *wish I could afford one*. Obviously I dont mind online shops, as I live in the UK there are no walk in shops for many of my hobbies.

5. I love being able to do my research online. To compare and contrast photos... but maybe that's because I've only ever been able to do it online.

I hate the waiting, I hate not knowing if my doll will look as good as the picture, and if it weren't for DoA's resources (accounts on how each company works, user pictures, etc) then I don't know that I would have ever bought online.

Customer service is only as good as an email or phone call (and the email can leave a bit to be desired when they don't address all your questions). I must say... the idea of going into a store to pick out a dolls seems so nice, but I wonder if it's "grass is greener" syndrome. What I do like it sitting in my jammies, comparing, contrasting, and buying EXACTLY what I want (not just what's in stock).

So yeah, not a ton of help, but I guess I'd just like to have BOTH options. That way I could say "I love this shop" or "I will just buy online" much like I do with everything else...

6. If I had the opportunity to purchase a doll in person, whether it was second hand, or in a store, it hink I would prefer that, being able to see it, understand it, before I have to take it home? hell yes! However there is something to be said for the excitement of having that package arrive in the mail.....

I have never purchased a doll or doll part in person though, only ever online, both in stores and aftermarket, so honestly I cannot say how much being able to would add to the experience for me

7. If you had a choice, would you prefer to buy dolls in-person or over the internet? Which type of buying experience do you feel is better and why?

I would love to be able to go to more events where I could buy dolls in person (since about 2 years we have a dutch event, and I love it !) and that is simply for the reason that you can actually see the doll in person before buying it, so you can see if they really fit you in person.

Actually I think I prefer the quality of the product, even if I were at the perfect event with a lot of nice people and quality service, I would still not buy a doll if the doll itself is not what I was looking for, or of considerable less quality.

I love the combination of online buying and in-person shopping. online you have an almost unending choise of what you want, and the posibility of buying second hand dolls, wigs, clothing. but in person buting actually gives you contact with the seller which I love. AND it offers you the chance to try things on your dolls like wigs, to make absolutly sure they fit before you buy them.

So i vote..... both :)

8. If you had a choice, would you prefer to buy dolls in-person or over the internet? Which type of buying experience do you feel is better and why?
      If I had a choice, I'd definitely want to buy in person. I generally like to see the product I am planning to lay down so much money for. On the internet, I have to go on blind faith that I'm not being scammed by the company with pretty pictures that mislead the actual product quality and final look.

Quality of course is the driving factor but no matter how good the quality of a product is, if it's not easy to get or if the customer service is not up to par, I won't buy from the company/person. There's no excuse for bad customer service when you're charging that much for a product. I want to feel confident in the seller and know I'll be well taken care of if I decide to buy from them.

I prefer in person because not only do I get to view the product but I also get to gauge how sincere a seller is. Online buying makes me uncomfortable because you never know how genuine seller/product is going to be.

9. I think that it would be good to be able to physically see the doll and products a company has to offer by going to the shop, however I think that I would prefer browsing on the internet, just because of the diversity of it in that you could very easily compare prices and products from different companies in a matter of seconds by going to their websites.

10. If you had a choice, would you prefer to buy dolls in-person or over the internet? Which type of buying experience do you feel is better and why?

definetely the store is much better. i had the privilage of finding a dollzone store and i love it. i think going into a store is just fun in general i think it's good for all your senses. plus a lot of the times the images you see on line are touched up and professionally done to enhance the doll. so when you actually see the doll there is always a slight difference and that difference sometimes determines if you really want that doll or not. besides browsing is just so fun.

Which is most important to you: accessibility, quality buying experience or the product? In

with the internet these days accessibility really isn't a issue, and i think buying experience and product is kind on the same boat.

being in person is always the best and once you gotten some stuff then it's good just to go on the internet but that oftentimes with the doll community it is not possible. so you have to rely on trust.

11. In person buying isn't really an option for most people. Volks has one US store and even though I live in Cali it's still a long expensive trip and I've never been to the Volks store ever. All but one of my Volks come from the DoA Marketplace and all my dolls have come from afar.

It'd be nice to buy in person just to see the doll in real life before you get it but it certainly isn't feasable.

Good customer service makes up for a lot at any rate. I have purchased a lot from Soom and Dollmore and they've been great to deal with.

12. I love being able to pick out a doll in person, but sometimes that's just not possible due to location, time, etc...and I find that internet shopping is great and so very convenient.

13. I'd love to be able to buy in person, as then I could really get a feel for the doll, as often internet pics are well ... crap. And also the amount of money you end up putting down for a doll that you've only seen through pics is daunting to say the least. But until the companies open UK based stores I'm stuck with the internet

14. If I could, I'd go to the Denver Doll store here in the US, or the Volks Store in LA, just to have the experience of going to a doll store personally. All of my dolls have been bought over the internet, but at IDEX, Denver Doll was there, and they did bring dolls to buy. If I had the money, I totally would have gotten something there. No worries about shipping, accidental broken pieces, custom waits... I think it would be awesome. Plus, you get to see the doll in person before buying.

15. sigh...if only there was a doll store close to me...i would much rather go and see it and buy it in person. there's always some level of risk when buying online. buying anything, not just dolls. and there's also the instant gratification of buying in person as well. waiting is such a pain, so if you have the option to skip the wait all together, i say take it!
      but there's also the issue of availability, no matter what, the doll company's website will have the product, in stock or not. but with the store itself, i suppose it would be a guessing game.
      and especially in my case, its just a necessity to buy online.

16. i don't know but these past couple of years there is always one lady that sold doll parts at the conventions. it's mostly the neo dolls and accessories i don't remember if she had BJDs but i know she had large dolls behind the table and someone bought a bjd at one of the tables and you can always get cloths now at the artist alley. ^_^

17. I actually would prefer to buy in person, but I'm no where near any dealers, and the dolls they have in America, just I don't know...not on the same level and quality as other doll shops I've looked at.
      I'd have to say in my opinion, the quality of the product is at the top of the list, second would be accessibility which is the internet only right now for me.
      Company type would have to be both, in-person location and internet. The reason being is that many of the doll companies in Japan and other countries started out as small specialty shops and grew through word of mouth..

18. Purchasing dolls definitely I would prefer to do it in person. I flew all the way Japan just to pick up mine. I was really hesitate at first until I walked into a Volks show room and my eyes popped out when I first laid eyes on one. Spent the greater part of my trip hunting everywhere until I finally found it for sale.

Clothing is a different matter, as most of it is limited I don't mind directly ordering from Volks online store. A lot of independent clothes maker sell most of their stuff online, though I would love to be able to feel the fabric uses at least once.

19. I would actually dislike going to a store or an event for a doll. I dislike going to the store for general day-to-day things I need, let alone for dolls. I much prefer being able to do things without the hassle of other people, but that's me. I have a few issues with being surrounded by people, it makes it awkward. I usually end up so disturbed by the close quarters with other shoppers that I'd rather just go home and let it alone, so being able to look at the dolls on the internet, and browse the owner photos and such makes the experience a lot more bearable. I think if I had to go some place to look at them I'd never have picked one up.

Though if it was a store that had an internet site that you could do the ordering from, and then you only had to duck into the store itself to pick it up, I could manage. So a combination of store and on-line is preferable for me, because I can't stand crowds.

20. Well there are pros and cons for both options. I mean I like the idea of being able to walk into a store and purchase my doll (no wait times YAY) but given that I live in an area in Canada where there isn't much of a market for BJDs, I'd have to say the interent. It allows people in areas such as where I am to get a hold of these dolls and the accessories to go with them. If it weren't for the net I'd never know about these dolls. A friend of mine has one, but after seeing it I used the internet to do the reasearch and look up dolls.

So internet for me :)