1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Decade Club...10 years of BJD ownership

Nov 5, 2016

1. I haven't owned a bjd for 10 years, but I've been a fan for longer. My tastes have changedpretty wildly, but thats moslty from my personal intrests changing as I get older, and being exposed to different companies, sculpts, and other hobbyists takes on those sculpts.

2. I started a little over ten years ago with a Delf as my first doll. The first three years I focused on SD sized Delfs and I picked up two 16cm Elfdoll Catsys because... mature super tiny cats!

When I first got into the hobby, I did not like the YO sized dolls. Granted my only experience with them was at meets and with Volks, but they just were not to my taste. They reminded me too much of baby dolls.
      Then along came my friend Pandy with her cute little not Volks Yo sized doll .. and then Soom started making SUPER cute tiny versions of the big dolls that were out of my budget. And then when I saw a Soom Ai in person, I have to have my own. For the next three years I was Soomed.

Year six I bought my first and only human doll. Granted I planned on getting her wolf parts, but it never happened. I still love my odd little normal girl though!

Year seven, I got into minis. I finally tracked down a Kid Delf Ttorri Elf girl. I also got nostalgic and bought another classic Delf.

Years eight and nine I bought some Fairlyland heads (the Juri 05 remake and an Elf version of Soony). They still need bodies, but I had to get them for the classic Delf vibe that they have.

Year nine, I saw a Doll Chateau Anges at a meet. She was way out of my norm in face and body type, but I had to have one! I tracked own the possibly last y-01 body on the market at a dealer and bought it along with an Agnes head on a long layaway. I also bought another little Soom and now own three of the same sculpt.

Year ten: I bought my first ever in production not limited doll! All my previous purchases had been either limited or no longer in production dolls. I also got another DC and a older Kid Delf.

While I still love the old classic Delf and Kid Delf dolls the most, my resin palate is definitely expanding, but at the same time I do not see myself getting many more dolls. I know I still need to get at least one more MSD as the hen house needs a rooster, but aside from a few classic Delfs, I am not certain what will catch my eye enough to get me to open my wallet and find more room on the resin buffet. (I seriously have them all on a buffet).

3. I have changed in that I learned over the years what I love, and what I don't. Not just has my tastes changed in how they look, but I have grown more faithful to certain companies, while others I would never return to again. Of course I have also tweaked what I am more open to, what is a strict rule list to any dolls I buy, and I have also been more open to smaller fashion sized BJD. I always thought I would go always with big dolls, Dollshe and Dollstown. But as I get older and my body tells me things; I realize I have to be smart if I want to see another 10 years in hobby.
      So while I will always try a little bit of something out of my usual zone, I also see me letting go more and trying to really look at what I want from hobby in these next God willing 10 years.

4. Almost eleven years in the hobby now, and I think my tastes have definitely changed over time. I'd started out mainly with Luts/CP dolls and most of those were in the fantasy/elfy styles, but now I've got just as many realistic and human sculpts and I've bought from a number of different companies. Dollmore is one of my faves now. I find I still prefer the larger dolls over the tinies. My Dollmore Trinities and Lusions are my favorites out of the bunch. :)

5. I have been in the hobby for over ten years and my doll preferences have changed. Originally I was only going to get yo-sd because they were adorable,took up less space and were more affordable. Sadly to say out of my many,many dolls only three are yo-sd and the SD an MSD have taken over.

6. I just recently passed the ten year mark, too! I still only have two dolls, but I've circled through a few of them. At first, I was really in loved with Dream of Doll and my first doll was an E-an. Over time, though, I started to prefer slightly more realistic sculpts. Migidoll, Elfdoll, Iplehouse, and Oasisdoll are now my favorites.

I think one of the biggest changes for me, actually, was that I really disliked Volks dolls when I began the hobby. I feel like their sculpting style has definitely shifted - I've fallen for more than a few these days. Their face-ups have also definitely improved, which I think helps.