1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Doll Hobby: Is "Conspicuous Consumption" the Main Event?

Feb 26, 2009

1. Hmmm, I don't argue that up to a point it's fun to get excited over new dolls, or old dolls done up in a new exciting way. It would be a pretty bleak hobby indeed if we didn't have products and artists giving it a shot in the arm with their wares every so often. However, with the increasing numbers of companies springing up especially, sometimes the number of potential choices and the rapid cycling at which the dolls "churn" seems out of hand, like more emphasis is being placed on the "getting" or the "choosing" of dolls and goods rather than the "playing" with them.

On bad days it reminds me of when I was a kid on the tail end of the baby boom and there was a LOT of aggressive toy and kid-product (like snack food) marketing targeted at kids. Very few kids got everything that was advertised and a lot of it, you might not even want, but there was also a lot of yearning after the latest new toys and "keeping up with the Joneses". Half the time when you got whatever it was, it didn't live up to its adverts. When I got old enough to understand theories of created demand, I became upset in hindsight, not only that companies manipulated kids to sell toy and food products, but also that in so doing the companies were training the kids that consumption was the way to go.

One could say that we're all adults here in the doll hobby and to an extent that's true (as shown by the WAY higher prices we pay than for kids cheap plastic toys) but there is also an emotional dimension at play in the doll hobby, just like there's one in the fashion world. Humans have a natural human yearning for perfection that can be channeled into many activities - religious ecstacy, creation of art, improving the world around themselves, or...buying the latest and greatest whatevers. To the extent the doll hobby focuses on "creation of art" (which could be as simple as someone styling a doll and enjoying looking at it, if not actually drawing, photographing or exhibiting it) then that's great. To the extent it focuses on "buying the latest and greatest", maybe not so great.

Also, I think we're hitting the saturation point where a lot of dolls are not maintaining their value. There are exceptions but many of the dolls on the Marketplace seem to be selling for less than what the owner originally paid, or for what the owner paid but with "improvements" (faceups, eyes/ wigs, etc.) thrown in for free - or else they are just sitting on the Market for a very long time because no one wants that particular doll at the price asked. No doubt this is due in large part to the crappy economy, but also I think the greater number of dolls available, particularly at the lower-priced end of the spectrum, and the increased speed at which new improved models of doll come out, are helping to depress the cost of the older dolls.

2. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

It doesn't really bother me. I looooove buying stuff for my dolls (almost a little too much ;)), so new stuff coming out that I like is exciting for me. There are some times when I just get sick of trying to find that right wig or eyes or whatever for one of my dolls, so I just get off the computer and do something else. I just come back and find it eventually later on. But usually the hunt for such items is one of the funnest parts for me!

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?

Hmmm... It's not that I feel pressure as much as I just desire to improve my dolls. I don't really take a lot of pictures of my dolls, so any improvements I make to them are usually just for my own enjoyment. I tend to get excited over certain new dolls that come out, and part of that is the other fellow doll collector's getting so thrilled that it is a bit infectious. And there is sometimes a part of me that has a twinge of sadness when I decide to pass on that doll and imagine that someday I may see one of them owned by someone else in all its glory, and wish I had gotten it. However, I'm a person that loves art and gets caught up in beautiful things, and it's important for me to keep in mind the certain dolls that have stuck with me that I know I really want, which keeps me from throwing too much money to the wind.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?

Not really. I am always thrilled by the idea of getting a new doll when it comes around, but that doesn't make me like the ones I have any less. I've only loved them more over time.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?

Not really. I don't really judge people like that too much. It's a hobby, and people experience it in different ways. Just because I grow attached to certain dolls and couldn't imagine selling them doesn't mean everyone is like that.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?

I don't think so. I've not really had a rampant history of being like this. I've sold two dolls, both which I admittedly bought before thinking it through too well, but one of those I got a lot of good memories out of before finally deciding it wasn't for me. I've sold off a few wigs here and there, an outfit or two, but otherwise I buy things I like and generally end up keeping them. My only other friend who is in the BJD hobby bought both of her dolls and adores both of them still, she would never dream of selling either of them. So I would say that both of us buy things that we know we like and we keep them, even if they were bought on a whim. ;)

3. See, I don't see the hobby that way. I see it as more of a creative hobby where you buy the materials to create a beautiful doll in the style you choose, not just something where you run out and buy a lot of dolls already done up and check them off your list. I know some BJD collectors are more into the "collecting" aspect but to me the "collecting" hobbies are more like the people who buy mint in box Barbies wearing different outfits and then never take them out of the box, as opposed to most BJD people who will customize and play with their dolls and invest in them emotionally beyond just acquiring them to have and display.

4. This is an interesting subject. I only have three dolls and I have to admit I am sort of agog when I learn of someone who has something like thirty, forty, or more. I can't say I feel a dicomfort such as you describe. I look a lot but I don't feel pressure to buy every beautiful item out there.

1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I ignore it or rather don't notice it. Maybe it's just because I am old and accept the idea that the prices reflect demand. Also, I suppose the companies understand their market very well. Doll owners are just ...weird. And obsessive. Just the sort of people who will spend more on their doll's shoes than on their own.
      I can understand the feeling of fatigue but I wonder if that is not brought on one's self sometimes. I don't get enough doll time.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?
      As far as dolls are concerned I don't pay attention to latest releases. There are too many older dolls out there which are on my radar. (dolldar?)
      If I feel pressure it is from myself and apparently not enough to get me in gear every time. What some might call pressure from others I see more as motivation. When someone does something cool it makes me want to do well also. Not in the sense of one-upping them but sharing.
      I am mostly in this hobby for myself. I do like to share photos of things I am trying or have tried, and I will get something for the purpose of a few photos but only if I want it for myself as well.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?
      Not really. In the case of dolls I know I don't have as much time as I would like for the ones I have already. Although I am still thinking of *maybe* getting another doll or two because it would bring more options to photos.. Actually, I am always shopping for my dolls in that I like to go to flea markets where you can find all sorts of things which can be used fo dolls. I tend to think in 1/3 scale a lot when I am in flea markets, stores, or on Ebay.
      Another thing: I got little jewelry projects and such items which are waiting for me to finish. there are a lot of aspects to this hobby which for me require more time than cash.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?
      I think new people might feel a natural urge to get all the paraphernalia at first. Once I had begun to accumulate a few wigs and clothes and shoes and eyes, I became more discerning.
      Many people , whether you are talking about dolls, cars, guns, or musical intruments actually enjoy the wheeling and dealing and agonizing more than the objects involved.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?
      I am aware of at least one who seemed to get tired of their first doll awfully quick. Whether they intend to buy another is unknown.
      I spend some time in thought about items and dolls and have not sold anything I've purchased. I don't intend to either, even if some of the things I have may go for weeks without being put on my doll. If love at first sight equals whim, I may be guilty of that. I saw a pair of high heel DollHeart shoes and knew they would be perfect for the option feet on my Soom.

Maybe "Conspicuous Consumption" is the Main Event. You can , if you have the money, buy instant credibility. If you intend to participate online in the hobby by means of photos you may feel it is pointles to post yet another picture of some company's doll which has been around awhile unless it has a new wig or new eyes, new clothes, or a custom face up.

5. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

No, because it's part of the nature of the beast--there are plenty of other aspects of the hobby too, but buying dolls and accessories for them is always going to be a large part of the hobby in general. If I'm in the mood to discuss other things, then I'll seek those things out and pass by what I'm not interested in.

No, I only buy what I like and don't really feel any pressure. I do really like to buy dolls, but I'll also hit periods where I feel like I need to spend time with the ones I have before buying another--I just go by what feels right. I have felt a stronger desire to spend more on them in terms of improving their wardrobes and making sure people have the right eyes and wigs (granted, most of my dolls have set eye/wig color, so once I find what works, that's what I use for them--I just have a couple that have been harder to find exactly what I need for them). I don't think that this stems from needing to keep up with other people so much as that I've gotten pickier the longer I've been in the hobby.

No--and this is especially true right now. My current finances don't allow for any doll buying/clothes buying at the moment, so it's not even an option. Instead I've really been enjoying making stuff for them--something I had never done much of in the past. I've always written about their characters and liked going to doll meet ups, so while I do enjoy dolly shopping quite a bit, there are a lot of other doll related things I enjoy as well.

Honestly, I tend not to give what other people are doing too much thought--this is a really big forum, so I don't really know most people very well, so I don't know what their individual situations are or what aspects of the hobby they enjoy the most.

I keep all the dolls I buy. This means I end up with a lot of dolls, but also that I'm very happy with the ones I have. A lot of mine are pretty planned out since they are based on pre-existing characters. The ones that were just purchased because they were pretty I guess are the closest to buying on a whim, and I do have several of those, though it wasn't as if I suddenly decided to buy a doll out of the blue--usually I put at least some thought into it. I have a few friends that don't sell any of theirs, and one that does periodically sell some off, but I wouldn't call it a high turnover rate.

Even if new and improved models have been coming out faster lately, they're still going to come out eventually and that will affect what older dolls go for. For instance, as much as I adore my Soul Doll Paris, I would never expect him to go for what the new Soul Dolls do, since their bodies have been completely redesigned to appeal to a growing segment of the hobby that goes for double jointing and more realistic sculpts. Things like that just happen. Right now there is a lot of competition between companies, but that isn't such a bad thing since it can also encourage improvements. Prices on collectibles can also be hard to predict anyway--you never know what people will consider desirable and popular a few years down the road.

6. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I like "window shopping" and enjoy looking at new dolls and products, even though I rarely buy them. If I'm not in the mood to look or buy, then I just don't.

I don't feel any pressure to buy anything, because collecting these dolls and their accessories is not a competition sport to me. I chose the dolls I have because I like them and have fun playing with them. Naturally, I want them to look as nice as possible, but I work on them at my own pace. I like looking at new dolls, but most of them don't move me enough to consider buying them. I love buying dolls and like to make wishlists (which I constantly revise), but I doubt if I will ever buy all or even most of them on my list.

Nope. I like photographing them and moving them around in my house. I'm not so much into shopping; I'd rather play with them.

I don't care what other people do with their dolls. Everyone is free to enjoy the hobby as they please.

I rarely have buyer's remorse because I don't often buy on a whim. I usually think long and hard before buying a new doll. Most people I know personally in this hobby, generally buy for keeps, but I know one person who seems to buy and sell often. I have no idea why she does it, but it's none of my business anyway.

7. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why? Sometimes I do feel tired. There are so many people out there bringing out dolls, bringing out clothes, wanting to face-up our dolls, wanting to sell us furniture...I feel like sometimes there are so many companies clamouring for the community's attention that I get so tired of it regardless of whether I've personally spent anything recently or not. I tend to only buy when I want to, I don't get normally get swayed by marketing and sales pitches, but it doesn't mean I don't get worn out by all the competition.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc...? Yes, but it's not a constant thing, I'm not consuming new dolls and new things constantly. I get attracted to a few dolls and then my attraction wanes if I realise it was only 'shiny newness' that attracted me to them, or it increases if I realise I really do love the doll. I do feel pressure to get better eyes, clothes and wigs for my dolls though because I want them to look good. I feel like the appearance of my dolls reflects back on me as the owner and for that reason I can't have them sitting around in sock dresses and wool wigs in case other people think I'm a bad owner. I don't normally let other people's opinions influence me, I'm comfortable with the quality of doll in my possession, but I like them to be kitted out in a way that makes it obvious that I care for them and deserve them in a way.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? No, I do appreciate the dolls I have. My interest in my dolls goes beyond my interest in shopping for them, I do lots of other free things with them, :lol:

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off? Sometimes I think that. If I see someone who has a new doll arriving every couple of months or so and an older doll has to go to make room, my heartstrings get twanged and I think about the older doll getting shoved out...even though it's not my doll or my business and the doll won't actually care either way. There seems to be a frenzy of "acquire, acquire, acquire" and there is a strong materialistic streak in the hobby that isn't always healthy, particularly for people who are made to feel like they have to take part when they don't have that much disposable income. This isn't the poor man's hobby, sadly.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps? I have had buyer's remorse before, but I suck it up. I have to, particularly if the transaction (we're talking dollies here) was on the Marketplace. I like having positive feedback and the people I've dealt with have been lovely, I'd hate to let someone down after I'd put down a deposit and committed myself to the sale, so I go through with it and I've never felt bad once the doll has come home. The buyer's remorse I get is unconnected with how much I want the doll and how much I'm going to enjoy them once they come home, it has everything to do with how much money I've spent! I wouldn't feel guilty or remorseful if BJDs were much cheaper, but it is what it is.

8. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I like to window shop so the commercialism doesn't bother me that much, there's a lot more pretty pictures to look at this way.

A bit, not that much I like how my doll looks and he can always get more clothing but I don't feel pressured to get him new clothes. I've had Razi for 8 months already and I am very hesitant of getting another doll in the near future even thought there are many molds I admire. I really like the Me and Him balance and him commanding all of my attentions.

Not really, I haven't shopped for him in more than 2 months, but then I make jewelry and I guess in that sense I'm always putting new things on him to try out.

Not really, it's part of the fun and it's not all that people do 24/7 so it doesn't bother me.

The second category. Most of my friends and I are very tentative about spending money in large numerations beyond the initial doll purchase. I chose and think a lot on an item before I buy it, I think there is only one item so far which I regret buying. This is all about self control and the size of your wallet. Mine is small so thank gods my self control and habits are well established. :)

9. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Nope. In fact, this hobby seems a lot less commercial to me than most collecting hobbies simply because, for a lot of people, BJD isn't just about the buying, but also about the creating. There are quite a few who buy a doll and then, instead of buying clothes, wigs, accessories etc., make their own.

Nope. I don't enjoy 'keeping up with the Joneses' in any aspect of my life, let alone a hobby that's supposed to be fun for me.

I've never had this problem. A lot of my personal enjoyment with BJD comes from photography and face-up/tattoo work. My dolls tend to only have one or two outfits and one wig a piece, (that they swap if I've feeling like they need a change). Sure shopping and getting new goodies is fun, but it's not the lifeblood of my BJD-dom.

I have met/encountered a few people who waste an awful lot of valuable energy buying and selling and buying and selling over and over again and REALLY stressing over it. I never quite understood why they put themselves through that, especially for a hobby that, again, is supposed it be fun. Stress isn't fun. Why put yourself through it unneccesarily?

I generally buy dolls for keeps. Dolls are expensive. They take up a lot of my time and a lot of space and I would never purchase something like that without giving it careful consideration. That's just who I am. There have been a few times, of course, when it hasn't worked out and the doll wasn't quite what I was looking for, but I think that's a risk with with any item purchased sight unseen from an online source and I haven't had 'buyer's remorse' because of it. But it's actually pretty amazing how many people in this hobby are willing to plunk down hundreds of dollars in 'impulse buy' dolls. Again, it boggles my brain a bit why people do it.

10. Definitely agree with you there. Even though it's great to have all the variety currently available, I do believe a certain saturation point is being hit. It happens with all sorts of collectibles, of course, & the current economy certainly isn't helping anything. If you have the cash to buy though, it's a great time to do so, there're many great bargains on lovely dolls right now.

But I fear that many people may be selling for the same reasons I am, not simply to acquire a new doll but because real life expenses have gotten out of hand. Something has to give & our luxury items are the first to go.

I'm only hoping that this market doesn't go the way of the fashion doll market where nothing's moving at almost any price. Dolls that cost hundreds of dollars are barely realising $25-$50 now. Strangely enough though, the people I feel the worst for are the MIB collectors who spent fortunes on lovely dolls & never played with them for fear of diminishing their value. At least most of us, even if we end up loosing money when the need to sell arises, have had some FUN with our dolls in the meantime & really, how can you put a price on that?

11. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I personally feel pretty comfortable in this matter. I don't spend a lot on my doll, so I have a lot more fun creating things for him. Even though money plays a huge part in this hobby, I think that the emotions toward the dolls have much more value than their price tag. Sure, I wish dolls were cheaper and I had more money, but I don't feel pressured to constantly spend money on my dolls when my affections for them are just as good.

Latest dolls coming out, certainly. A lot of them are so unique that I automatically try to think if I have have a character suited to the sculpt. Usually the big WANT feelings go away after a few days unless the sculpt really sticks for the character. I don't buy much for my doll, because I think its more fun to make things myself. I find that I enjoy spending more time with him if I'm making him pajamas, or a chair to sit in. Same with face-ups, I prefer to do my own, even if they aren't that great.

Not at all. It might be the thrill of only having one doll to spoil, but I find myself always thinking of new stuff to make for him, new pictures and poses to try and such.

Yes. I don't understand it when owners give away a doll, often a brand new one, so they can pay for another doll that just came out. It seems fickle to me, and I feel sorry for the doll being sold, like it didn't even have a chance to be special to that person. And I think it's unwise to impulsively buy a newly released doll as soon as pictures start coming up on the websites. Unless they're limited, I don't see the need to rush and buy them. Even if they are limited, a buyer can usually find one in the marketplace a little bit later on when they have saved up money.

I know a few people who buy a little impulsively and keep changing their minds about their dolls/future dolls. I'm a little like that, for instance I sometimes change the planned sculpt of a character many times before I finally settle on one, but overall I try to buy logically and realistically with the intent on keeping the item/doll for a long time.

12. At the risk of dragging this thread off topic, I have to agree with your remark about the economy. There's a number of dolls that I like and would want. But my desires are partly or mostly driven by the fear that the companies that make the molds I like will be going out of business. Did you know that the Korean won has fallen 40% against the US dollar? Which makes overseas markets even more crucial for Korean doll companies, but overseas buyers are just as affected by the crashing economy as everyone else. It's a vicious cycle.

13. I know I bought most of my dolls with the feeling that I would probably not get back what I paid for them. When you drive a new car off the lot it immediately declines in value. The fact that dolls hold their value better than cars, or at least used to do so, seemed to me more a consequence of the fact that the market was still in growth mode/ not yet oversaturated than some kind of a norm for the hobby. I just figured it would eventually reach saturation point for most dolls and/or the resin would yellow or get in "played with" condition over time.

Why anyone would buy a cherished collectible and keep it MIB so it would hold its value just boggles me. I don't see any enjoyment in never even taking a possession out of the box. It's like those shopaholic people who buy stuff every day and then leave it in bags in their bedroom and go buy more.

14. Ahh, but that's only the way YOU collect! You may not want to admit that some people collect BJDs the same way others collect in-the-box Barbies or Bratz, because BJDs must be something different & more sacred than Barbies. But it's true, there are plenty who do. Not all BJD collectors are the "wet" variety.

And I see no reason why we can't have it both ways, either. Collection IS the name of the game-- by definition-- but this absolutely doesn't mean that you can't also love the objects, cherish them, customize them, play with them, & all that. I don't understand why collecting & acquiring necessarily has to mean that you never touch, creatively use, or love the objects you collect.

This is a common mental block a lot of people have these days-- they assume that because something is expensive, or because it's bought with its future value in mind, that this was the result of a callous & soulless decision. But since there are as many different styles of collectors as there are objects to collect, you cannot guess what is in each one's heart.

So, wow, you must have a time machine or a crystal ball, if you're so sure that those dolls' value will never go back up again! Never ever ever! :lol: Just like with the Barbies or the Star Wars action-figures, you may have to wait a couple decades before the prices go truly crazy. But on that day in 2035, those MIB collectors will still have that doll untouched in the box in the closet, and then $$$$.

I repeat: Those shopaholics & MIB People are your friends. Sometimes they clean house, and then you clean UP on eBay. My impossible-to-find Isao Nanjou v.2 fullset was unearthed from some couture-hound's closet, in virgin MIB condition after 2 years, and by that point, she was happy to take the market price on him. In my mind, I thank her every day. ^^ (And if you think this Acquisitor's Tale means that I don't adore that doll all the way down to his eye-putty, think again... I don't care if his value never goes up again.)

15. That actually has nothing to do with it. I have an extensive collection of vintage Barbies. I've never collected anything MIB - not Barbies, not Blythes and not BJDs - and I never will, because it's boring.

I don't think BJDs are "more sacred than Barbies." The main reasons I like BJDs better is that they have more variance in the body type, don't break/ melt so easily, and the focus is not so much on how the dolls are dressed. I still like all the Barbies I have, and will still pick up a vintage one from time to time, but have little interest in collecting modern Barbies as I now prefer BJD and Blythe.

I realize "different strokes for different folks" but in the end, I don't care whether you're collecting a MIB Barbie or a MIB Volks Genji or buying a Ferrari that you never drive. If you buy something that's ostensibly designed for use (as opposed to the Mona Lisa which is just meant to hang on a wall and be looked at) and don't "use" it, at least a little bit, I can't relate to it. If it makes you happy as a clam, that's fine. I still can't relate to it.

16. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why? I'm going to answer a bit differently from everyone else and say yes, sometimes I do. Like the OP, until I joined this hobby I really didn't spend much money on myself at all, I was content with simply replacing worn out things and would only very occasionally buy myself a video game or whatever. Now I'm alarmed at how much money I've been pouring into this hobby and sometimes wish there was an end to it, a way of "finishing the game".

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.? I don't really have a desire to buy the newest dolls. When I see one I like I simply wait a week, and almost always the desire to own it has faded. I have narrowed down my wishlist considerably! As for the clothes/faceups/etc, I don't feel pressure from other people but I do feel it from myself, to make my dolls as nice and perfect as I can get them. I've got loads of discarded wigs, eyes, and clothing sitting around, I keep upgrading my boys until I'm satisfied. So far, out of 5-6 dolls, I've "completed" two. *_* Its a really fun part of the hobby yeah, but sometimes I wish it didn't cost so much to satisfy myself.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? I only get frustrated with my dolls when I still haven't gotten them the way I want. It so happens that getting them the way I want involves shopping for new things, but I'm not getting enjoyment from the shopping itself, just at finding something that fits the doll's character.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off? No, not exactly. I mean this stuff costs a lot of money and sometimes becomes rare or hard to find. I find it odd when people DON'T agonize over an expensive purchase. Who wants to spend that much cash and have it turn out to be a mistake? Or sell something and regret it later, as it may not be able to be bought again?

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps? I don't buy dolls on a whim at all, they are too pricey for that. I used to buy clothes and accessories on a whim but happily I've managed to mostly break myself of that. I should probably sell some of the things I've gotten, but it seems so time consuming. I don't know how other people manage selling things off constantly, but then I'm often not at home so it makes that aspect much more difficult.

17. Sure it does! It has everything to do with it. Your quote right here:

>>to me the "collecting" hobbies are more like the people who buy mint in box Barbies wearing different outfits and then never take them out of the box, as opposed to most BJD people who will customize and play with their dolls and invest in them emotionally beyond just acquiring them to have and display.<<​
      This assumes that BJD people have to be emotionally invested in their dolls. Not all collectors are so emotionally involved with the dolls per se, but that doesn't mean they don't still get a deep enjoyment & fulfillment out of the very act of collecting. (With all the shopping, lists, and joyously rank capitalism that it entails.) Still another person may get very real enjoyment from just seeing the doll in its flawless little glass case every day (as you would enjoy an exquisite painting). Each person's emotional sustenance might come from a different facet of the same thing. So the matter of how they 'should' be spending their time with their dolls, or the manner in which they acquire them, or how long it is until they acquire the next one-- is really the irrelevant part.

Perhaps that is the attitude that keeps me from getting the Chronic Capitalism Fatigue Syndrome mentioned in the OP. Every time I get fed up with one type of collector and their attitudes, I meet another sort I've never encountered before, and they keep me fascinated.

18. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby?
      No. Maybe it's because I make so much of their stuff with my bare hands, it becomes much more of an Art thing than a Commercial thing... besides there's always the fun of doll gatherings :)

2) Do you ever feel pressure?
      Nope, no pressure at all. I only buy stuff for them because I really, really like it, and/or it's just the thing I need to pull a few pieces of thier clothes together. I feel no need to compete with other doll owners, so to speak, over dolls' aesthetic appeal - we all like different things after all.

If I get bored, I simply sew more stuff. The cloth's already there anyways (my grandmother owns a fabric/sewing machine shop).

Honestly? Yes. Though I understand and empathise.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them?
      I'm the salesperson's nightmare. I get a piece of clothing off the rack, try it in 3 different colours and 2 different sizes, decide it's too expensive after all and go home without anything, only to pine after it for 2 weeks and go back. :sweat Same applies to doll stuff - I go on and off the website for a few days until it gets unbearable. My shopping rule is to allow myself some time to cool down before buying stuff, so I almost never regret it - except the part when I go back and they've sold out. LOL.

19. The only problem with that reasoning is that most of those collectors won't be around in 2035 to see their dolls rise in price again. We're not talking 20 year olds here, most of the fashion doll collectors seem to be in their 40s at least & some much older.

Another problem arises in that Barbie & the Star Wars figures were actual child toys & many, if not most, were destroyed over the years which drove up the value of the few perfect ones left. The fashion dolls were targeted to an adult audience & many, many were MIB collectors so there's never going to be the massive loss of pristine dolls that there were with child's toys.

And yet again there's the standard 30 year collecting rules. Most of the people buying the 60s & 70s toys are adults who remember them fondly from their childhood & are recapturing a bit of that. Since these weren't children's toys to begin with, from where are you drawing your collecting market?

I'm not saying that the market will never recover at all but I highly doubt that we'll see record prices again in our lifetimes. It's one of the reasons I never buy dolls with resale value in mind. Collectibles in general are not good investments, the market is too mercurial. I simply buy what I love, play with it & when I need to sell, don't expect a profit.

20. -deleted ~~~~~~