1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Doll Hobby: Is "Conspicuous Consumption" the Main Event?

Feb 26, 2009

1. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I don't spend a lot of money on my dolls. They don't have much stuff and the things I bought them, albeit expensive, are more often than not the only things they wear. So no, not really.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?

As I said. My dolls don't have much, mostly because I buy something. When it's perfect it's perfect and stays that way untill I tire of it.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?
      Never.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?
      yes! Especially when they complain that they can't afford important RL stuff, but did buy a doll. And I'm talking about things they knew from the start.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?
      I do tend to buy things prematurely. As in. I could have waited a month and bought it comfortably instead of buying it now and have money issues. As in... turning things down, because I lack funds.

2. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Nope, real life grinds my butt to the bone, dolls are pure escapism. Whip him out at work and ALL the jerks stay far away!

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?

I'm much too old for peer pressure. However being a total clothes and jewelry whore myself I find having to buy for four soon to be six of us a little frustrating.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?

Nope, somedays I don't do much with them and they wait patiently for me to return. Mostly we watch old movies and 70's TV cop shows together.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?

Oh sure, but that's their business not mine.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?

I'm a spontaneous buyer and go through cycles, but I rarely have buyer's remorse, if think you have to have a more highly defined sense of guilt than I possess to experience that...

3. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I've never felt fatigued and I just ignore most of it. I like looking at all the new releases but a lot don't interest me enough to want them. I'm not into a lot of the popular clothing styles, so maybe that shields me from feeling "fatigued."

I don't feel any pressure. I'm not interested in buying new dolls at all (I still love to look at them). My dolls all have face-ups, are nicely wigged and clothed and shoed (shod?). I would like to polish them up a little - a new wig for one, a new face-up for another, a pair of shoes in a different style - but these things will be done eventually and I don't feel like I'm in a rush to have it all now.

I don't feel boredom or less enjoyment. I rarely buy them things now and I enjoy just looking at them in my room everyday. :)

I don't feel that way, agonizing can be a fun part of the hobby as long as it doesn't cross into true frustration.

I plan most of my purchases and have been happy with most of them. I carefully chose all but one of my dolls and their outfits but no matter how hard I tried, some dolls/clothes/shoes weren't what I expected, weren't quite what I was looking for, didn't fit or didn't match the rest of the collection.

I bought my YoSD on a whim. I ordered her a few hours after I first saw a picture of her. I think she's the best Yo ever and she's tied for my favorite doll now! I went through 4 carefully chosen YoSD-sized dolls before her and had each less than a month before selling them. Sometimes careful planning or liking certain features just doesn't work out in person.

4. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I'm not really tired out by it, but that may be because I take breaks every so often from the hobby. Mainly because it's necessary--I'm in grad school and it takes priority in a sense. I think it's a balance in things. When I have time, on my school breaks, summers, and holidays I get to be more actively involved in the hobby.

I definitely don't feel pressure to buy the latest dolls. I wait until I really fall for a sculpt--it can't just be lusting. I've really liked the Limhwa, Supia, and Soom sculpts for some time, but I never had the opportunity to order them. I'm taking the opportunity now. However, it's always great to come across something new that you like (for me it's BuddyDoll's Isabel) and put them on the wishlist.

No. I still get excited looking at my first doll and imagining what I'm going to sew for her.

I don't really take it to heart. People will do what they will and I don't take the time to read too far into anyone's motivations (it's their call on what they want to do with their money, time, and energy)--it takes the fun out of the hobby.

I can't speak for most people, but I am the type to buy quickly when I have funds. The dolls that I buy are ones I've thought of after some serious research and meditation. When the opportunity arises, I jump at it though. :)

5. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby?
      Yes, I feel like I've been too materialistic and careless with money lately, even though I've generally planned out all my major doll purchases. I guess that is what happens when you're not used to spending so much money in such a short amount of time.

I'm trying to curb the urge to buy more clothes by making most of my doll's stuff. That way it costs less, I learn a skill, and it's more personal and fits them better.

No not really. I just get excited to see new cool things.

Yes yes and YES. From the meets I've been to, I get the impression that owning the newest, most popular, and most expensive clothes and accessories is a valued way to show off. I don't want to expand too much on this for fear of being rude, but some people seem to need brand new stuff every time there's a meet and show distress/anxiety when they don't get new stuff. Not sure if people look down on the dolls that are always there with the same stuff (like mine lol). This is definitely not everyone but I still get that impression sometimes.
      I try to buy things for keeps, although I may have made mistakes (mostly on small clothing items). A lot of people seem to buy and sell real quick, though. I don't have the energy or patience to flip dolls like that.

6. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why? Hmm... lately, yes. After I bought my first doll, I settled in comfortably into the hobby and didn't buy another one for half a year. However, recently (past 3 months) all these great doll that I wanted were released, and somehow without realising it I've bought way too many. So I'm a little tired when I consider how many new dolls I'm expecting, and a little anxious about the money I've spent and which dolls i will have to rehome. :sweat

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?- I don't really feel pressure, persay. However, looking at other people's new dolls does make me dissatisfied with my own, and it makes me want the new doll.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?- I wouldnt say I get bored with my dolls, just uninspired sometimes. However, I sew a lot for my dolls, and every time I make something new for a specific doll I get really excited and fall in love all over again.:)

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?- Possibly. I cant judge how others enjoy the hobby, but I think I'm tapped out on the buying for more dolls. Unless something radically crazy different comes out, I'm done buying for a while. Also done making wishlists, because those just lead to trouble.

I don't often buy things and then feel remorse, but sometimes it happens. There is one doll I bought recently that I will definitely have to rehome as soon as I get her because I've realized I dont really want her.

7. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      Yes, Its easy for me to ignore because i don't socialize with my hobby. Its mostly something i keep to myself. We have a really awesome local group but they meet when im working so no face to face bjd friends to see.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?-
      No, I feel pressure to buy stuff if i get inspiration for a certain look but thats it.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?-
      No I like them the same.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?-
      I have no idea, I never paid attention to others business.

I never have buyers remorse but i have had dolls i didnt care for as much after owning them a long while.

8. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      Eh . . in a way, yes. When I got my first boy, I was in a frenzy to get him clothed, get him a wig and eyes and everything, but as soon as he was in a complete state, I slowed down. I occupied myself mainly with him as he was and perfecting face up techniques, and I completely drifted away from the dolling community for over a year. I ignored BJDs, and mine had become shelf decoration, but one day I woke up, remember he was there, and started getting back into it. When you're not easing into the hobby for the first time, when you suddenly reimmerse yourself into all things BJD, it's easy to get overwhelmed by how fast-paced it is. There are constantly new dolls coming out to fawn over, you end up with new clothes, wigs, eyes, and other styles being shoved in your face all the time and it's just plain tiring.

Honestly, I miss not caring.

I don't feel so much pressure, as it takes something that really stands out to wow me. So I'm not always lusting after dolls, but even so, I still feel that sometimes I need to sit back and take a hard look at what I want, as I feel I still want too much. Even though I'm not after the newest or the latest dolls, I don't want to get distracted from what I already have. I like to take my time and make sure every last detail is perfect and then I can move on - but then I don't want to forget what I've already accomplished.

In a way, yes, I do. While most of the doll hobby, not just BJDs, is about spending, it's entirely different with our resin kiddies. They are made to be moved and posed. They are made for activity, and when you're paying as much attention to something as it was made for, you need to switch things up every now and then to make yourself stay interested. Yes, for that year while I strayed from the BJD hobby, my boy was in the same outfit and same wig. I didn't even adjust his eyes. I think that if I had tried more to make him stand out and different times, I never would have slipped away. I admit, I get bored more easily than the average person, but when it comes to BJD, you need that variety. Once again, variety is what they were made for.

Yes, I do. It's not so much that it feels like their concentrating too much on the buying and selling, but rather they get caught up in it, which is very easy to do. As I mentioned, there is always new and often times better things becoming available for purchase and when you bore as easily as I do, you want to look for ways to keep yourself involved, even if that means hopping straight into the rat race to have the newest things before they get sold out.

It could also be a pride issue, as I know others have mentioned. BJDs are definitely a source of vanity. People like to show them off, and that's hard to do when they're in "outdated" products.

I know people who buybuybuy and sellsellsell. I also know people who carefully plan out what they buy and try to make the most out of it. I know people in both areas and those in between, and their numbers pretty much balance evenly. I, personally, am in a grey area, as while I like to plan things out, I can still forget about things relatively easily or be fine with getting rid of them quickly. However, I'm more of a packrat because I know that a while after I get rid of something I will want it back. So my funds pretty much flow only one way. xD

9. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why? Yes, sometimes I get very tired with how much this hobby depends on money, but it's quite possible that that's because I don't ever really have any. I feel that gap between the haves and have nots quite sharply sometimes, but I try not to let it ruin the enjoyment I feel when I'm making things for Elly and stuff.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.? No, no pressure, only wishing. I don't give in to peer pressure very easily.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? No, I only get bored when I can't afford to or think of anything to make for them. Like, I hate hand sewing, so I haven't been able to really make anything new for Elly because I have no sewing machine, and it's boring.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off? What they concentrate on i their business, but I tend to avoid people who only ever seem to be buying and selling dolls all the time, just because.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps? I don't buy on a whim, and I really don't know anyone personally who does. Most my friends tend to be very responsible people. And even when *I* make impulse buys, usually I've actually put a good deal of thought into it before, even if I wasn't seriously considering buying it, so I almost never have buyers remorse. Now, loss-of-money remorse is a different matter.

10. This is a really really really great thread. I'm impressed by how insightful so many folks are and I'm also comforted by the fact that I'm "not alone" in many of my feelings.

1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Sometimes, yes. But I think it is more the expensive nature of this hobby. That wears me out. I am very picky and have a very particular taste, so when I come across something I like, it's a MIRACLE! And then I feel like I must get that doll because it's rare for me to find something that I like a lot. Of course, that pattern gets expensive and tiring.

As someone who has come from the Blythe hobby, I totally know what it's like to feel pressure about new dolls. Especially with all the hype that surrounds new Blythe releases. But with BJDs, there are so many different dolls and different companies, it's hard to feel pressure because there's less focus on individual brands (e.g. Peak's Woods [one of my favorites]). That's what I love about BJDs - you can reach a point where you stop buying dolls and are satisfied (with Blythes, that's nigh impossible).

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?-

It's the opposite. I like a finished doll that I'm happy with; it's not fun to shop and shop. I like to get enough stuff and then not buy anymore so that I can focus on my dolls. That's where the enjoyment lies.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?-

Yes, but I do this as well. I think it's bad to do. I'm trying to focus hard and really think before I buy so that I'm not constantly buying and selling.

Clothes and shoes and stuff - yes, I have had buyer's remorse because sometimes things end up being much lower quality than expected. I do not tend to have buyer's remorse about dolls.

11. Oh, good topic! There's a lot of interesting things to be said on this.

1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Yes, and no, neither one more than the other but I certainly have some moments where I'm very overwhelmed by the "commercialness" of the hobby. And, at other times, I either ignore it or simply don't notice it at all.

When my friends in the hobby catalog their future purchases and form wish lists that seem never ending, it definitely irks me. To me, there are too many new things being released to have anything set in stone... Even flexible wish lists seem tiresome to me, especially the lengthy ones. I can see having one or two large future purchases planned out (I've got one or two of my own), but when people map out their time in the hobby with purchase after purchase (for example, "and after I get him, I'll buy that Souldoll I want, but it is like number eight or so on my wish list"... Really, for real?)... It just makes me feel as if they're perhaps focusing too much on the obtaining of an object, and not the ownership of that particular doll.

Yes, yes, yes. Of course. When I see a doll I like and feel the desire of wanting to own it I am very much affected when I see others discussing that same doll and their plans to get one. It seems that their excitement confirms that the doll is something worth working for, and not a passing fancy (I am good at convincing myself that everything I want is a passing fancy). In that way, I am very much affected by the community and their consumerism and how it influences my own. I think we often feed off each others interest, it is like a form of reassurance, isn't it?

Concerning faceups and clothing and wigs and such, I'm not as affected by particular companies and their wares. A new release from such-and-such isn't likely to get me too excited, but then again there are not a lot of companies that regularly carry styles I really like. But what does make me want to improve my own dolls is seeing unique photos of others' dolls. When I see a doll that is polished and complete looking, a doll that has an effortless sort of perfection, it makes me really want to have my dolls look like that too.

Not really. It would be nice to have new things... New dolls, more clothes, but not having them doesn't cause any disinterest for me.

I do think I pay less attention to my dolls when they have not gotten something new in a while, but not because I don't like them any less, more because there isn't something fresh to experiment with.

No, I can't put myself into their position so I can't begin to imagine whether or not the time and money and energy they invest is "too much". But sometimes when I see people selling lots of things, it does sometimes make me wonder why they acquired so much to begin with.

Well.... Maybe a little. I think this relates back to my irritation to never ending wish lists.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them?

Oh yes. There have been times I've ordered something online and doubted it even before the package arrived... I think that's one massive set back with the internet. Buying is so easy and so impersonal. You have a lot of time to reflect on the purchase while the package is in transit and since you've likely never seen it is person, it is easy to question whether or not it was wise to buy it. I think a certain amount of remorse is common.

I have a big problem with whims. I usually have to tell myself that something better will come along, or that if I still want it later another chance will come along. Usually, something better does come along, but I have not always gotten my second chance.

One thing I really do like about this hobby is that it is easy enough to distance yourself from it if it gets too much and if you're ever feeling rundown by the things you can't have. It isn't as easy with something like... Let's say mainstream fashion, or anything else that is difficult to get away from in day to day life.

Dolls are not something we're constantly subjected to whether we like it or not, we have to seek them out. Because of that, it is easy to just turn it all off and take a break. I like that.

12. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

It is always something to keep in mind since it is inevitable.

No. I buy the dolls not to fit the latest trend but to fulfill my views of my already predetermined characters. All of the accessories will be most likely made by me and so will their face ups. I will improve and fine tone the doll until is portrays the character and reaches a 'finished' state.

No. I understand that, and sometimes I loose interest in them temporarily but the interest always comes back. It is usually with art projects that revolve around them that the interest comes back.

No. People can do what ever they want, as long as they dont hinder my space I dont mind at all.

No. I know what dolls I want and for what characters. When I get to buy a doll I am glad and thankful that I got to do it.

13. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I'm new to this hobby, so my answers may change with time, but the commercial nature of this hobby is not what drew me to it. Rather, it's the beauty of the dolls, and the idea of putting my creativity to work to make the dolls their accessories. If I had the money, I'm sure it would be fun to spend and spend and get every doll that appealed to me and every accessory that looked cute, but the reality is that even buying my first doll has been a budget crunching experience. I'm going to be making all of his clothes (which I am excited about!) and it will be a very long time before I can afford his partner. And when I do get her, I'll be making all of her clothes, too, and finding thrifty ways to get the beautiful fabrics needed to do so (deconstructing thrift store garments, etc.) The fact that I am on a budget makes this a challenge, and actually it adds to the excitement. It would be too easy if I could just go out and spend to my heart's content. If that were the case, I think I would experience the fatigue over getting and spending that you allude to. There's not a lot of challenge when acquiring is the major goal.

Getting the "right" eyes or wigs for the character is more important than getting the newest. I can see a point where my doll would be done and can simply be enjoyed as a work of art.

Can't answer this one yet!

Each person approaches a hobby in his or her own way. It has no impact on me or others, so why worry about it? My concern is that the acquisition and sales happen ethically, and for the most part this is true. And as the community seems to be very good about policing its own, even this is not a major concern.

I am an impulse buyer-- when something "speaks" to me, I go for it. That's not true when buying a major appliance or a car that has to function reliably, but for a doll, a lot of the criteria are purely asthetic. I knew my "right" doll when I saw him, and that was that. However, I did put a lot of research into the decision-- I looked at every BJD's offerings before happening upon my dream doll.

I am NOT an impulse buyer when it comes to things that must function at a high level, like a car, washing machine, etc., but that is a totally different situation. For me, asthetics come more from the heart, and not the mind. I've never fall in love with a particular refrigerator, but I did fall for a particular doll.

14. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Um, a little, but I entered the hobby as a crafty person, hoping to make most of their clothing and stuff. I know I can't afford buying stuff right now, so I just don't look. So I suppose for me, it is easy to ignore.

nah....

no... I feel less enjoyment when I am shopping actually because I hate spending money >_>

Ummm whatever, it's their stuff xD I might roll my eyes a little at the time but it doesn't keep me up at night. As long as they have the money and energy... well.. I guess they can do what they want. I don't really care.

Well I've only bought a few things for my doll, and I already do feel buyer's remorse, but mainly because I bought them before I decided on what style he was going to wear. I initially was going to go for something modern but now I want to do victorian style, and jeans and hoody kinda don't match anymore.. so I will probably sell that stuff off eventually. Luckily, I only have three articles like that.

15. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? I hate to shop for myself, but I love to look at what people are selling. I often will look at things and then not buy them, but I like to look. Window shopping of sorts. I get ideas from what other people have made and sold and then I can apply them to my own creations. So no, I don't think I ever have felt tired of the buying and selling aspect. I think it's really a great feeling for someone to buy something that you've made and it's always nice to get things that were made by hand. It adds that personal touch that you don't always get in the stores.

I don't necessarily feel the need to immediately go get the newest releases. There are some that I like, but most of the time, they're more expensive when they're new releases. I like to put more money into getting dolls that aren't new releases (more like old favorites) and then finishing them. I also like to put money towards getting nicer things for my current dolls and "finishing" them. I also put a lot of money into improving my sewing skills, by buying lots of fabric, new types of materials (like fabric flowers) to learn what I can do to make my creations as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Nope. I love my girls, and seeing as I never have enough money to buy them much, I make them a lot of things and that's where I have the most fun with them. I also love taking them places just to see what kind of reactions I get (that's not the best reasoning...).

No. A lot of people make some money off of selling their wares and it's really helpful to the other members. This hobby, for some people, is a collection hobby, so their mindset is to get as many as possible. I personally don't have a hard time deciding what stays and what goes, since most of it is home made, I can always go and make another one. I'm trying to let go of things that I don't use anymore, because it's good for your health to do that.

I often have that moment of "what have I done?!?" but it passes quickly. I think that if you buy something (especially a doll!) that you're not completely sold on, you're more likely to feel this way. Since they're so expensive and there's no guarantee that they would resell, I think very carefully before buying something.

Great topic :)

16. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      No. I am not in a state of wanting more then I can afford and I buy within my means. I actually get a nice high from checking out the different websites and their wares and sometimes buying. It's definitely the fun of window shopping.

Never.

No. I always have projects like sewing or restringing to fill the (short) amount of time I would be shopping.

I assume people are having a good time in this hobby--that it is basically a positive hobby of people loving their dolls and wanting to share that passion. Maybe for some agonizing over acquiring and selling is a break from some tough situation or serious responsibilities they have in their non-dollie time.

Buying on a whim isn't necessarily a bad thing! I have all the dolls I've ever bought except my first BJD Domuya Fay which I gave to a good friend who was moving back to her native country and who I knew I would probably never see again. Dolls are the same for me as many things--I know what I like and usually my first reaction of adoration doesn't change. I have a good sized doll "family" and I love all them. I've never had buyers remorse and I have never spent months researching dolls.

17. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby,
      Sometimes. Whenever I see a pretty doll, I want it. I think its just the red ball theory though. You see someone who has something you don't and you want it. -shrug-

2) Do you ever feel pressure...?
      A lot. If I see a really beautiful doll who I can tell the owner has spent a lot of time on, I feel kinda bad. My boy's closet is full of clothes I made for him (some very poorly made) and a few nice (but very inexpensive) things. I just want him to have nice things...

Honestly...a little. Though I feel like he's mad at me when I'm not doing anything with him. Right now, he's sitting in his "room" on my shelf holding my teddy bear. Normally, he's right next to me on my bed or I'm sewing for him or something.

Only when the person has a doll that I KNOW is expensive as hell with tons of nice clothes and stuff. It makes me wonder how they can support themselves AND have a nice doll like that. Though it's not my business, it's their money and it's their choice what to spend it on. Hell, they could have even made those "expensive" things.

I don't. I tend to wait it out for a while to see if I still want something before I buy it. Though that's only with expensive or permanent things like dolls, piercings, tattoos, iPods, ect...
      I'm really impulsive when it comes to cheap things. When I shop, if I have money, I barely look at the prices xD

18. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      Yes and no. As others have mentioned, this is an acquiring hobby, so a certain amount of commercialism is to be expected. But I do see a lot of needless, thoughtless spending that I have trouble ignoring, and the constant "must have" attitude directed towards some dolls or companies (SOOM, anyone?) is a little tiring.

No, not really. It probably helps that I only want to get dolls from two companies, because I personally don't like how some companies look together. My dolls are simply there to be pretty, so I want them to look nice together. It keeps my wishlist pretty short.

A little, I guess, but I also go through phases with all of my hobbies, where one is more prominent than the rest. But as I said, my dolls aren't for "play", really. They're just dolls, just art.

Absolutely.

I don't have any friends in real life who have dolls, so I can't really answer that way, but I've certainly seen a lot of impulsive buying here on DOA that makes me sad. While I understand the fun of impulse shopping, to do so on something so expensive...it seems irresponsible to me. When my hobbies are concerned, I only buy if I know I want it, and I'm going to continue to want it. Why spend the money otherwise?

19. To chip in my (very small) two cents, this hobby is less commercial than my hobby in Magic: the Gathering. I'm willing to bet that in six months, I'll have spent less on this hobby than I have on Magic in the past six months.

Although, as far as peple with revolving-door syndrome, that's frustrating in any collecting hobby. I fuss for days - sometimes months over purchases. It's incredibly hard to watch people just buy and sell off, buy and trade, and really, just show that they're not putting as much emotional commitment into the hobby as perhaps they should. But that's just my opinion :\

20. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby,

I think every hobby has a deep commercial nature too it. You just have to be in the right place. I dont see dollfies shoved onto me via TV commercials but visit a dollfie website and its "Buy this wig! That outfit! This head!". Its very overwhelming, and my other hobby has much the same issue in some areas. I find BJDs to be much less pressure filled than horse showing where a lot of the bigger breed oriented shows really push people to spend more than a lot of peoples houses are worth just to stand a chance in the show ring.

I would think maybe I put pressure on myself for something I want but not to have something just because its 'required' so to speak. I like BJDs because its so free form. You dont have to have the nicest wig in the world just to play with it or enjoy and take pictures. You can do what you want. You may strive to make it perfect in your eyes but its not someone elses idea of perfect being pushed on you.

wouldnt know yet, but likely not. I actually tend to loathe when I have to spend money..

I think everyones limit is different. But I think the limit is reached when its no longer fun and feels like an obligation. I have to finish making this dress for this doll, instead of OH! I could make this dress for my doll. Sometimes when you reach the point of being so overwhelmed you dont enjoy it, its time to get rid of some stuff, take a step back and decide what you really want. If you constantly buy and sell to keep yourself at a certain level prior to being overwhelmed there is nothing wrong. If I only want 10 outfits for each doll then limiting is a great plan, I will think twice before buying a new one as I would have to get rid of another. But it would keep me from being overwhelmed as well.

I tend to get buyers remorse no matter what I buy. It takes me really having the item and enjoying it for a while before I justify the purchase. I bought a ps2 and felt so regretful for a while until I had it for a few months and found I used it for everything. I got my wii and was exstatic getting it but after I got it I felt bad until I found some games I loved and played like crazy. I bought a simple av switch for $4 and felt bad until I found how nice it was to have all my cords organized and to be able to watch or play games without having to shift stuff around and swap out cables, all I had to do was flip the switch. I will drool over something and then finally get around to buying it then regret it. Which is probably why I dont tend to spend much overall I just save up and am able to buy things I really want immediately but I still wait it out to see if I want it. This really helps my buyers remorse I think, to know that 3 months later I still want the bjd and have not spent $800 then forgotten about it.

I dont think any hobby overall is just the thrill of the buy, its the person who makes it the thrill of the buy. If you are the kind who only feels good when ordering the clothes instead of when you have them, its not the hobby and you might need some help. I know of at least one girl like this who had her parents spend a good $20k on her for her hobby but she never ended up using the stuff... ever. For her it was just the thrill of getting what she wanted, but she only wanted it until it was hers. For her dreaming about owning it was thrilling but actually having to put in effort once it was hers, was not thrilling