1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Doll Hobby: Is "Conspicuous Consumption" the Main Event?

Feb 26, 2009

1. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I don't really find dolls commercial at all so I don't feel tired of anything. I don't really ignore it because I don't see it that way.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?
      No, not at all. I've never felt under any pressure with my dolls to 'keep up with the jones'. I put money into the hobby because I enjoy it. I love buying new clothes and taking pictures. This is my only hobby so I get a lot of pleasure from it.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?
      NO! Never, I wish I could spend more time with them! I don't really shop for new dolls, they just sort of happen along my path, even if it's a doll that has been out for a year or so. I'll just see it one day and know it's time. I like to get new things for my dolls but not all the time, They already have more clothes than me as it is, lol. But no, if I'm not shopping for them I never once get bored of them. Not even for a second.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?
      No, it's not my business how other people spend their time shopping. I don't really think about what other people do to be honest. I have 5 dolls of my own to think about. I do get bored when I see people obsessing slightly -"Oh the seller hasn't gotten back to me and I asked them that question two hours ago!' :( :x
      :doh but that is another matter.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?
      No. I'm very careful with my dolls. I only have one doll that I might ever consider selling in future and that is due to bonding issues not because I got bored of her. I wish I did love her the same, I really do. But I do have a lot of love for her, that's why I haven't sold her yet. I only buy clothes I know my dolls would wear, (as people) not because it's pretty or cute. I'm one of those 'For Keeps' buyers. ;)

2. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      NO! Shopping NEVER fatigues me..! :fangirl: I love window shopping...and don't feel the need to buy everything I see, anyway. It's great to have so many options to choose from so you can find what FITS for you.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.?
      No. I don't compare my artistic vision with anyone else's. I like what I like and only get what I want when I have a little extra to spend on it.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls?
      I don't get bored easily. I have so many responsibilities that I get great enjoyment when I can have some 'down time' with my dolls! They are a release for me and a great source of relaxation. Redressing and posing dolls is Zen-worthy!

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off?
      I have no idea what other people are doing...really. But, I can imagine it does happen~~it happens with lots of people with lots of hobbies or obsessions. I do find that on a stressful day I will spend too much time on the computer perusing through doll sites and this forum.
      5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?
      I don't know about others, but I mostly buy for keeps.

3. Before I read through this entire topic, I wanted to answer. Cause, well, Need to type things out and warm up from snow shoveling. XD

1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why? Oh god, YES. Every time I log into the board, I'm drawn to the market place despite the fact I know I don't have the time for more dolls. That's something I dispise about doll hobbies in general. When I was talking to LisaN about this one day, she said it's like people buy a doll just to sell it for when the next one comes out. And with the SOOM dolls, It's become very rampant, I think, on the marketplace with all the MDs being sold almost as soon as they arrive.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.? Again, yes, but since I've refused to spend more on my doll's clothes than my own (I think the last time I bought clothes I spent three bucks at good will... I can't even remember when I last bought a new pair of shoes...) it's not so much the accessories as it is the DOLLS. Every time a new Soom doll, or a new tiny comes out (let alone if it's a Volks Tiny! Gah, DOOM) I almost always literally shout "WANT!" And a month later? Only about one or two of those dolls I still lust after. (Darn you birdy tiny. Darn you to Dolly heaven!)

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? I can't say that I do. There are days I'm too tired for my doll. There are days that all I want to do is play with her. Ironically, I DID experince this, and faster, the more dolls I acquired.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off? It depends on the people. 'Younger' collectors seem to be still looking for the perfect doll. 'Older' ones seem to have settled. I know some people never stop looking, and some who stop almost as soon as they begin. There are circumstances that change, so changing dolls, selling collections, etc, that all happens.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps? I did it a few times. The biggest one that sticks out in my head was the Puki Rose I had, the next being my MSD Tsubaki. Those were the first two I sold. I had some minor remorse over money spent, but ultimately enjoyed the heck out of the dolls XD.

Okay, a bit more to add. I actually recently sold off most of my dolls for far less than I paid for them in most cases. (as the collectors in my area can attest. They all bought them >.>) Why? I had too much. Too much stuff in general. And you know, I started to play with my one remaining doll. Actually sew for her, pose her, hold on to her. It's the most enjoyment I've gotten out of the hobby since I got past two dolls. I think that the constant BUY!BUY!BUY! keeps us from enjoying what we already have.

Though I'm not going to try making my own shoes. Been there, done that, here's thirty bucks, dolly shoes nao kk thnx. XD

4. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby?

No, not at all.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out?

Nope. I would like to buy more when I have the money, but I feel under no pressure to have this or get that.

Hell no. If I am not buying for them I am creating for them.

No. They will agonise over stuff however much they wish to, and it has nothing to do with me.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you / most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps?

I buy for keeps. I still have armies from way back and do not sell my stuff. I wasn't always like that in my youth, but with maturity comes the loathing to sell things that you have worked hard to obtain.

It is exactly the same with anything I do.

Commentary:

The only hobby I have ever seen where everything was about buying and selling was the virtual world known as Second Life. I joined the rebels and became a Second Life Hobo (Aged Hobo).

Phil.

5. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I don't really see BJDs as a commercial hobby because BJDs are pretty much niche and most are made by small studio artists and advertising is at a minimum. I see doll buyers supporting the commercial side more, ie: fads, trends etc.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer faceups, nicer clothing, etc.? I have a small collection of wigs, shoes, eyes. I tend to spend a lot on fabric, since I sew and am a fabric whore.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? No.

4) Do you ever feel like other people in the hobby spend too much time concentrating on acquiring things or selling things off, or agonizing over what to acquire and/or sell off? Call me apathetic, I don't really care what other people do in the hobby. Their dolls, their life.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps? I hate shopping, but for dolls it's a different matter. I don't need them, but I love them. I get buyer's remorse whenever I spend money on them. I should be buying house paint and decorating my house.

6. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

There does seem to be a "designer label" aspect to the hobby that sort of bothers me, but it's nothing I really follow, so no, I'm not fatigued by the commercial aspect.

No. I mostly make all my own clothes and accessories, and really only spend money on the dolls themselves and the things I can't make, like eyes and wigs.

No, that's not why I got them to begin with. I'm not big into shopping, anyway, I find it sort of boring. I use my dolls as an extension of my writing and art, and enjoy sewing for them and coming up with new ideas for outfits.

I haven't paid much attention.

I don't have enough money to buy things on a whim, though I seem to keep ending up with all kinds of eyes I can't use! Hee hee!

7. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      Why ignore it? It's interesting to see things coming and going, to watch trends, often to see dolls coming up for sale that have been modified in some way (not everyone regularly contributes to the Gallery. Sometimes the Marketplace is where you get to see some secret beauties coming to light.) And as someone said, window-shopping is a cultural pastime.

The premise in these questions makes it sound like the BJD hobby is somehow odd or unique. Sorry, if it was, there wouldn't be regular releases of new series of action figures, or trains, or Barbies. There wouldn't be annual floggings of new color-patterned or versions of sports equipment or clothing. There wouldn't be new lines of craft kits or yarns or fabrics, or as many monthly magazines for all kinds of interests, with most of the ads in them being for new items being brought out. Commerciality is what drives most of everything. Even if you're just a Disney buff, they depend on that with their "restored and only available for a short time!" dvd and merchandise campaigns. And every convention or hobby show, even horticultural shows, have dealers trying and hoping you'll buy something new to add to your collection.

You want commerciality that blows this marketplace out of the water, try following the auctions being held for props of TV shows like Stargate and Battlestar Galactica. Thousands of items, dozens of auctions, and people buying $600 chairs and $2000 and up costumes used only in the background -- It's boggling what things are going for that can only be stored away or stared at.

Nope. If I really like a new doll, that's one thing, but not buying for the sake of buying. As far as "improving/finishing" - well, sometimes eyes change, wigs change, but the doll is who it is before that. It's "finished" as soon as I find it's character. All else is fine-tuning. And their characters have to deal with "making do", just as I do in my real life! (And nicer faceups -- I get them because of a faceup I like, or I do one I like. And nicer clothing is a relative term to begin with. But buying some doesn't make a doll suddenly "finished" any more than me buying a new winter coat makes my winter self somehow better or more complete than it was before.)

Everybody loves the "frisson", the shiver of a new purchase, the excitement of the hunt, the thrill of something new. It's what makes dealers rooms and art shows in SF/media cons special experiences as well. But my emotional investment is primarily IN my dolls and their associated characters, not in add-ons. The only time I get extra thrilled is when I see a new doll and a character pops into mind right then. Besides, I've gotten very little free time with my dolls over this past year, and will for the foreseeable future -- I look forward to every chance I can have with them and photographing their stories.

Yeah, sometimes I see people who are slaves to the thrill of the new purchase, or who want applause for each ne purchase. But why would I spend a lot of time focusing on that aspect? That's their business. I look at the dolls and the stories and the artistic things people do with their dolls.

I don't know about people concentrating on selling things off. Life happens and sometimes people need money and so they agonize over and choose things they can sell. I wouldn't think of putting them down for that. It might be a need, not a character defect.

And some people just like the anticipation of new things, or second-guess themselves when they get something. There are appropriate threads for those situations, where people can support each other's excitement or work through the agonizing. It's not like the whole forum is drenched with shoppers' concerns.

I've seen people "flip" purchases really fast. I've bought a couple of things that I really liked in pictures, but when it got here, didn't match up well with my troupe, or was a part too hard to find a match for. I don't know how much "thoughtfully" really factors in, because sometimes you have to jump in order to get. But usually once something acquires the extra dimension of a character here, it's staying.

I think that, when you realize that someone is the type who buys, works up doll personas but then sells them off quickly and/or unexpectedly, you learn to rein in your initial welcoming/congratulatory responses and not "buy into" the character/story presented, since it's likely to only be temporary. Maybe there's a deadening-down that happens because of that, but it gets offset by the dolls you see cherished for years by their owners.

8. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

Although I haven't really been a part of BJD fandom for very long, I've been collecting anime figures which has a very similar commercial nature - complete with the fixation on limited and exclusive goods. Things like that don't bother me most of the time, but it can get annoying. At least the BJD companies are somewhat more subtle about milking fans for money than figure companies!

Not really. I buy new things for my doll because I want to, and I can't buy loads and loads of dolls due to financial constraints so I restrict myself to only things I really, really want. I'm not a crowd follower - I'm only interested in personal satisfaction when it comes to my hobbies.

Getting new things is fun, and I found that in the gap between getting my new doll and actually getting more things for him that the excitement died down quite a lot, but it was less boredom and more frustration at having an expensive new toy and not a lot to do with him - sort of like having a games console with no games to play.

I guess people do, but it's nothing to do with me. With such an expensive hobby it's no surprise that a lot of thought has to go into making purchases.

I don't normally have buyer's remorse especially. If it's something expensive I like to take the time and consider things before buying them to make sure I'm not going to lose interest.

9. I don't know if I find it easy to ignore the commercial part of this hobby. I do like window shopping to pass the time but I don't spend much on buying clothes or wigs for my doll. Anytime I am tempted to buy an outfit I stop myself. I remind myself that I promised my husband that I would learn to SEW! I want this hobby to be about me improving my skills and creating something. I have spent enough Saturdays shopping for myself over the years. I am trying (with great success) to channel my energy else where.

No I don't feel pressure. I focus on the four I have at the moment. I just repainted two of them. I am always making an outfit for at least one of them etc...

No actually. Again I promised when I bought these dolls that I would not spend time shopping for them. I promised to myself and my husband that I would make all their clothes and learn to do face ups. I asked for a sewing machine for Xmas that year and honestly I do make most of their stuff. I am not a great seamstress or anything but I enjoy making things for them. Laine has some nice Volk's clothes but he received those as a gift from a friend in Japan :)

Not sure really. Many of my friends also make stuff for their dolls. I can say that I dislike selling stuff. I try to be careful with what I chose but you know wigs and eyes often just DON'T work! Overall I don't want to spend too much energy buying and selling in the marketplace. It feels like a time suck.

I try to buy for keeps :) I pay close attention to why a product does not work for me and TRY very hard NOT to make the same mistake twice. EYES are the worst for me. It is the one item I spend a lot of money on and often need to resell because they don't work on my dolls.

10. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      My bank account may feel a bit Fatigued:). But other then that, not really. Sometimes I worry something will disappear before I have saved the money for it. But shopping for dolls or stuff for them is all part of the fun.

I could see people being pressured with the limited dolls. But then again there is always the marketplace. Right now I'm concerned with improving the dolls I already have before buying anymore.

This seems to happen to me when I'm waiting for a new doll to get here. But other then that, some days they're with me everywhere I go and sometimes they sit alone all day - but it usually has to do with how busy I've been at work.

What people want to do with their dolls is their business. I'm just happy when I find someone selling what I really want. Tastes change overtime. What you liked then, you may not like now.

I can't really say for other people. So far the only remorse I've felt has been with clothing I bought for them that didn't fit right. All dolls I have bought so far have been for keeps, they've been thought out before hand and I know they are perfect for me.

11. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      I generally ignore it, for the most part. It bothers me in as much as I can't get anything for my dolls that I'd like to have. I simply don't have the money to get it, which can annoy me.

2) Do you ever feel pressure to buy the latest new dolls coming out, or to constantly put money into improving/ finishing the dolls you already have with better wigs and eyes, nicer face-ups, nicer clothing, etc.?
      I wouldn't say "pressured" to get better things for my dolls, but I do want to get the eyes and wigs that I feel would best suit the idea I have for my doll.

Not at all. While sometimes it renews my interest when I get something new for my doll(s), my interest generally waxes and wanes with no regard to shopping or buying. I obviously want to take pictures of my newest acquisition, but if I'm not interested in my dolls at the moment, it's a desire that passes fairly quickly. There are times when, even without buying or shopping for anything, I just want to play with my dolls.

I've seen people who seem to be compelled to buy, buy, buy dolls, or for their dolls, and are always in some transaction or other, but I've also seen people who work at it and those who just have a set number of dolls that they work with. I just figure to each his/her own, and if it makes them happy. We all enter this hobby for different reasons.

I'll admit that Haven was a whim, but Lu definitely wasn't. As for buyer's remorse, the only time I've really experienced it is with a wig I got for another doll (that I wasn't able to get, but ah well). And the only reason I have buyer's remorse for it is because I couldn't see how poor the quality was on the website, and the state of some of the braids. Despite that, I plan on modding it and making it mine, or at least making it so I don't cringe every time I see it. For the most part, I generally think long and hard about anything I'm getting, doll related. This is usually because I'm going to have to save up to buy it (doll, outfit, eyes, wig), or I have to make sure it matches what I have already (outfit, accessory, eyes, wig). As for most people, they're very different from what I can tell. I've seen people who change what they want or have almost monthly, while there are those who seem to have had the same doll(s) for years.

12. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?
      No. I ignore the commercialism as my interest in bjds is an extension of my sewing and crafting hobby. My only feelings of 'fatigue' are more often than not associated with not having enough bjd sewing time

No. I don't have my finger on the pulse of the latest bjd news so often by the time I hear about any new releases they're already sold out. Also I'm often buying dolls on the secondary market. As for improving the dolls that I already have, I'm pretty much happy with their faceups from the outset. The only times I've had to commission faceups has been when a second hand bjd I've bought has had a poorly done faceup. This has happened twice. Again the only pressure that I feel in relation to my dolls is not having enough sewing time for them.

No. The times that I feel that I'm not enjoying my dolls is when I'm so busy with my family and everyday life. It's always lovely when I get back to the dolls and start rediscovering them all over again.

Not sure. I guess this hobby attracts all kinds of collectors personalities.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them,
      Not really. Mostly because I don't that much disposal income to make an impulse buy.

13. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I don't get fatigued by the commercialism at all, if it wasn't there then buying for our dolls would be a lot harder and more frustrating. I don't have a problem with tuning in or out of the commercial stuff, because I never feel like I have to buy something just because it's there! :)

The only pressure I get is from myself. Most of the time, I'm frustrated that I can't spend as much as I would like, creating dramatic sets and such.

I do seem to have a quick turnover with dolls, this is mostly because I usually have to sell one to get another, especially if it's LE, it's not going to be around forever. I do like and enjoy investigating new sculpts and company's. I feel like I haven't seen it all yet! ;) But to answer the question, not really boredom, just more frustration.

This is very much up to them, but I tend to stay away from threads that have too much of the agonizing. I try to keep positive! :)

I get infatuated a lot, fall in and out of love with certain dolls., I'd like ideally to have been able to hold on to some that I've let go, but often finances get in the way of this.....'for keeps' is a sentimental notion I think. Some people are marathon runners and some are sprinters, nuff said! ;)

14. Then leave. :lol: Just kidding, but wow. Quel ennui. I can't fathom anyone wanting to stay in a hobby that fatigues them.

15. I've definitely cut back my participation significantly in the last six months.

I would also note that since I started this thread, the trends I've seen in the hobby, such as more fullsets, more fantasy dolls and more generally "safe" or "pretty" sculpts, have made it easier for me to ignore a lot of what's coming out, because none of those things are to my taste.

16. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby - It's part of the hobby, it's hard to deny that but I do my best to ignore it for the most part.

2) Do you ever feel pressure- Not really, I am not terribly active here so I don't feel as much pressure to try and keep up with anyone, I just buy what I want as funds allow.

3) Do you ever get bored or feel less enjoyment from your dolls when you're not shopping for them, or shopping for new dolls? No, although I am getting less enjoyment out of one of my pukipukis until I can get a replacement hand for her as one of hers went awol, so I guess I get less enjoyment out of her until I go shopping for her.

Everyone enjoys the hobby differently, I don't begrudge anyone their hobby or how they enjoy it. For me personally, I know I wouldn't be happy selling one of my beloved dolls to get a new one just because all the cool kids want the new doll coming out.

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, The one doll I bought on a whim ended up being rehomed. I have a fairly extensive wishlist and I save up money until I get to a certain point then kind of see who is available from there. So far with the exception of the one doll I bought on a whim I haven't gotten bored of any of my lovelies.

17. Yeah, it's actually cool that way-- being able to 'retreat' really goes a long way in preventing Burnout. (esp. for old-timers ^^) You let 'er rip for awhile, you take a rest, you come back later when there's more stuff/people you like. The scene's huge enough that you can be choosy.

But I'm just good at ignoring what I don't like [survival mechanism], so the sales-related crises of others don't bother me in the first place.

18. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

No, I find the commercial aspect of the hobby just a necessary part of it. After all, if I get a creative idea I wish to explore, I certainly want to be able to find what I need to fulfill it. And I enjoy looking at new things to stoke my own artistic fires. I window shop more for inspiration than for the desire of purchasing things. I just love seeing what's out there.

Oh heavens no! My enjoyment in this hobby stems from my own creative vision for my dolls. If I have an idea and I need a new pair of shoes for a particular costume I'm creating, then I'll hunt for them...and I certainly do enjoy the hunting, don't get me wrong. But I never shop for the sake of keeping up with the latest trends, or trying to get my dolls to someone else's level of perfection, or anything like that.

Absolutely not...nuff said!

I don't know. It's none of my business, really, and I know for some people that's how they enjoy their hobby...they just love to wheel and deal. And for others, the wishlist is a big part of the fun. It's their hobby, so let them enjoy it however they like. I certainly am far more dismayed by people in other hobbies who keep mint in box dolls or action figures in their "plastic prisons" permantly locked away in some storage shed where they never see the light of day. I always thought that was a little strange...and perhaps more like gambling than true collecting..."oh, if this is never touched and kept locked away in the dark, it "might" actually net a profit one day." (Yeah, good luck with that.)

5) Do you or other people you know often buy on a whim, have "buyer's remorse" or get tired of things in a really short time after getting them, or do you/ most people you know usually buy things thoughtfully and for keeps

I never buy on a whim and don't know anyone who does. Nor have I ever had buyer's remorse either. But having said that, I realize that for me this hobby has been a journey. I have thoroughly enjoyed experimenting with different kinds and sizes of dolls along the way, and I've learned a lot about myself in doing so. But sometimes I've come to a fork in the road and had to make a difficult decision about where my collection was going. At one point, I realized my SDs were overwhelming their display spaces (which I adore building for my dolls.) So I made the very difficult decision to sell them all and downsize to smaller MSDs and tinies. I also tried out a fairyland puki and pukifee once, and sadly found them just way too small for me to enjoy...but this wasn't something I could have forseen without actually having the dolls in my hands for a period of time. The dolls I've sold just didn't work out for me size-wise...nothing more than that. But I'm quite philosophical about selling dolls in the marketplace. I've always had the romantic belief that dolls will wind up where they're truly meant to be. Sometimes we are just facillitators of their journeys.

19. 1) Do you ever feel "fatigued" by the commercial nature of this hobby, regardless of whether or not you spend money regularly on doll stuff? Or is it something you find easy to ignore, and if so, why?

I think all hobbies have a commercial aspect that may be more magnified when collectors talk of their newest acquisitions, or post photos, etc. I mostly kind of ignore it, as I like perusing the forum, and the dolls, it is a great stress reliever for me.

No, I simply buy what I like.. I'm not going to buy a doll just because it is the newest 'it' thing out. I do spend alot of time on planning my collection & items that will show the dolls in the best light in photos, stories, etc. I don't feel the need to compete with others in my collection, after all, this is a hobby...

No, I have one bjd at this time, but am planning for a couple of more. I do like to acquire items when they are layaway or order. I never get bored doing that though.

No, I don't worry about what other people do, that is their choice. I have noticed what you refer to, but I am mostly a person who thinks out their buying decisions carefully, as when i buy a doll, I want to keep it.

I suppose you do have impulse buyers, but most of the people I know carefully decide and plan for their dolls, as this is an expensive hobby. In my other hobbies, collecting dollhouses for instance, I see Waaaaayyyyy more impulse buying and project starting (we have a name for it- UFO- Unfinished Objects/projects in the dollhouse hobby) than I do in the bjd & doll collecting hobby.