1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dollshe side of the Dollshe/Dollmore copy issue *translated statement page 27*

Nov 21, 2006

1. Because smart people can do stupid things too.

Its still too soon for me to pick sides and wave banners. I was very unhappy with Dollmore's response (mostly their explanation for the interchangeable parts and the internal markings), but maybe thats all they are allowed to say at this time. Right now my own opinions don't make any difference to anybody but me, so I'll leave it at that.

2. I've seen theh comparison pictures, and honestly, other then the next and maybe the sides of the chest, I can't really see any simularities. kyle definatly has differnt proportions and enough differences that I would not consider it a copy. and well, the defects inside, I don't know, but if two people were using simular methods to do the insides, it's entirely possible to get very simular defects.
      that's my little two cents.

3. I understand some people may be feeling very hurt. But please understand you are not the only one. Please don't say insulting things, even if it's in a roundabout way.
      Obviously there are some Dollshe fans who feel hurt about the 'copy'. But also Dollmore fans feel hurt by the attacks and also by the possibilty of being betrayed.

I really think we should all be working together here....Not forming opposing gangs. Please think hard about what you are doing. Is it the Dollshe fans fault if an 'attack' was made on Dollmore? Not at all!!! Is it Dollmore fans fault if Dollmore made a copy? Not at all!!!

I understand people are angry but be careful where you vent it and try not to hurt people needlessly. Because it will only make people for a bad opinion of the company you are trying to stand up for, won't it?

/plea]

4. Exactly. The fact is they do NOT have to be literal copies to violate copyright. Substantial similarity is usually the standard for copyright infringement. To me I feel the Kyle body meets that standard and the internal marks only add to the evidence against Dollmore, but I suppose it will ultimately be up to a judge or jury to decide that point after viewing all the evidence presented.

5. I read what people have to say about waving banners and whatnot, and I just had to mention this one fact: that banner down there? It does not in ANY way mean I'm not listening to what the other "side" has to say. But I am completely dissatisfied with their response, or should I say lack thereof. The fact that it was filled with shameless plugs about how great Kyle is didn't help at all. -o-;

That's also not to say I'm going to seek out and avoid everything having to do with Dollmore. I'll just continue my usual routine, looking at dolls and sculpts I like, not clicking on ones I don't.

That said, I will continue to support Mr. Ki-Yong, and I can only pray that his inspiration and confidence will return to him tenfold after this ordeal is over.

6. one thing:

there is nothing wrong with supporting dollmore

there is nothing wrong with supporting Mr.Dollshe

there is nothing, NOTHING wrong with supporting one love

and there is NOTHING wrong with supporting neither, or being indecisive, or just waiting for court, or just waiting period.

:D as long as we don't get hostile anyway.

7. Hmm... maybe I should have said "Because smart people can make mistakes too". Stupid is just what came to my head first, which was very stupid of me. And even though the quote was about Dollmore it could have easily been applied to Dollshe's behaviour towards this whole fiasco. I meant it as more of a general statement towards "Why would so-and-so do this if they knew it would..." remarks which come up a lot in these debate threads. People make mistakes (or maybe they don't as nothing has been proved by a third party yet). I am not a Dollshe fan or a Dollmore fan, up until now I've liked both companies. Actually I still like both companies.

I also dislike the divide, or what seems to be a divide, that is going on among the fans.

8. well, i consider it a "civil war" XD (kinda like the american comic, Civil war joke thing going on. but i guess no non-comic readers will get it)

the divide can't be helped. so might as well try not to be too hostile about it i think

9. If I was an innocent doll company, being falsely accused of selling a doll whose parts were copied/modefied from another company's work to such an extent that the internal accidental flaws are the same, the first thing I would do is take my own internal comparison photos to show the world.

That way, not only do I prove my innocence but also knock my opponent out for good both with a libal law suit and by destroying his reputation. Especially if I think it was serious enough to be called Cyber Terror

10. Things I am not sure have been discussed yet. I am worried that Mr Ki-Yong may be hurting his court case and we may be contributing. In a major doll forum these are alot of strong accusations that Dollmore could point to and call libel if they win their case. So I think we sould never call on a ban of Kyle or Dollmore dolls until the case is settled.

And we keep talking about the ART being stolen. Although dollmakers love these dolls and love making them- they do it so they can have an income- so they can eat and their employees can eat. SO every penny that we spend on a stolen design, is on we could have spent on the original, and is taking money out of Dollshe's pockets. People only have so dollars to spend on dolls, we shoud think about who worked harder for the money in this case. If Mr Ki- young spent hundreds of hours working on the HOund body, he also spent hundreds of hours working in the Kyle body without getting paid. How would you feel if someone was making money off your work?
      Just something to think about.

11. Sometimes people get a bit insane about things they love. I have read some of these responses and thought, "whoa! down tiger!" because they were so reactionary, merely because you decided not to jump on the Dollmore Bashing Bandwagon. You have clearly stated that:

1. It is sad that this is happening.
      2. You see differences in the dolls.
      3. You love both dolls and both companies.

As for me, I also feel that it is unfortunate that it is happening. It's not for me to say "oh, that is or isn't a copy". That's for the companies and possibly a court to decide.

While unfortunate, this does NOTHING to dissuade me from purchasing a doll from Dollmore next week.

12. Thank you Miseri, for organizing your thoughts into a post that make sense of my OWN emotionalism towards this issue.

I appreciate your concise thought, and your post.

And here's hoping you love your new Bella as much as I love my TWO of em(what can I say, I am addicted to the Model girls) LOL

Clearly, I love these girls, and I am sure you will be utterly wowed and delighted by your own!

13. is it totally crazy to support both dollshe *and* dollmore; two companies that make the dolls that make us all so happy???

14. Well the comparison photos don't help Dollmore one bit. Neither does their open letter. Kyle looks so similar to the Dollshe body it's unbelievable. I am very, very disappointed in Dollmore and I think that's the last i'll say about it. I think i'm so disappointed because I loved Dollmore very much.

15. You're welcome, Gayle! I kind of consider you a 'net friend' simply because I enjoy your Avril so much...she's really helped 'tide me over'. ;)

I cannot wait. I can't stop thinking about her! I get to finally order her on December 10th. It will be interesting to see how my girl turns out since she will be faced by me (I'm a makeup artist).

Anyway, BADRA and DOA will be flooded with pictures!

16. Well, the problem with this is that if a person believes Dollmore is innocent, they would be angry with Dollshe for wrongfully accusing them. And if a person believes Dollmore is guilty, they would be rightfully furious at a company passing off something unoriginal as their own, and what this does to the BJD market in general. So, it's sort of a lose-lose situation regardless of belief, and neutrality is difficult because mostly everyone on this forum is very passionate about the hobby, and the concept of stealing and bootlegs/copying is sensitive as it takes credibility away from the exclusivity and rarity, originality, of the market ^^

17. Oh gosh, thanks Miseri! Avril is a neat girl, and I am glad she inspires!

Back to topic, I have a few "what if thoughts"

What "If". things have proceeded in such a way, legally, that Kim Ki Yong, now regrets his decision to bring this all public.....

And then, what IF both sides regret horribly that they have hurt each others reputations, when they have previously been good associates, and now, need room to work that out.

What IF this is actually what is beginning to happen?

I for one would be pleased, if both companies ARE managing to work out their own resolutions, and, that it might be smoothe and fair to both.

You know, It IS possible........

18. That's a very nice sentiment Gayle, hopefully all will work itself out in the end. we're so far away from the whole deal and true most people here are passionate. But we need to stay objective and BELIEVE that only a higher autorithy than all of us her can settle this dispute.

I just wish this would all calm down so we can go back to thinking just about the love we have for our dolls.

19. I'm trying to be neutral in this whole thing especially not owning dolls from either company. I still say that what people see as dollmore seeming fishy and as though they are hiding something is just them not trying to get caught up in all the internet mess part of it.

and VinylFaerie supporting both is mainly being neutral with a care as to what ends up happening, like me. I hope just as much as anyone that this gets smoothed over as easily as possible becuase as people have said both companies are getting their reputations pulled down in this mess.

20. The suggestion that somehow the owner of the DollShe company is smearing his own name by pursuing what he believes to be a recast of his own doll sculpt is ludicrous.