1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The experience of owning many dolls

Sep 10, 2009

1. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I really don't know.:? I didn't have a goal, really... I wasn't set on getting characters I've created in resin form or anything like that. Of course, i did eventually. :sweat It started with a guy BJD. Then I thought, "Oh, I want to have a girl to dress all pretty and stuff and they can be lovers or something. XP" Then it just kind of went from there. I saw so many that I really loved, and I was fortunate in that I could afford them. However, I've gotten picky lately when it comes to adding more to my collection; I've become more content in just looking at pictures. ^^

How does it feel to own a lot of dolls?
      I suppose I do have kind of a lot, and it does makes me feel strange sometimes. ^^ I don't regret having any of them but I do like the thought of having a very small collection and really focusing on those few. I would do that but I like all of my dolls. U__U I try not to talk about what I have. I do have a list of them in my profile though... and sometimes I worry that it's flaunting what I have too much.

How organized is your collection?
      I keep track of when I ordered and got each doll. I don't forget what molds I have but if I were to list them off the top I might forget one. Maybe. :sweat I tend to group them; they all have a basic feeling that I want to express, but a few of them have a more detailed personality and back story. If I can't find a way to fit them in somehow or have a basic personality I want to convey with them I don't get them. That's how I stay in check now. XP

Can you give a general description of how you usually play with or enjoy your many dolls?
      For most of them I am happy displaying them, posing them, changing what they wear every once in a while. I like drawing them and thinking up little stories about the characters they represent. ^^ I take pictures sometimes but I don't post them often. Lately, I've been getting into role playing with the few that have more fleshed out characters; that's been a lot of fun. :D

What do you consider the best part of owning many dolls?
      Probably variety. XP Some of them are similar but they all represent something for me. Does that make sense?:? loliduno Uh, I mean... being able to have many different types of characters in a 3D form.

And the last question:
      How many dolls do you own and what do you consider a "large" collection?

I have more than some people, but less than some people. XP
      Hmm, it's hard to say what would be considered a large collection for me...like, 10 or 20 can sound like a lot but won't seem so big if it's a lot of tinys.

2. How did you end up with a large collection?
      i liked way to many dolls. XD.

i try not to thank of the number or the money. it does bad things. but i don't regret i guess it's more of a omg, i really made that much?

i guess not really any envy, it gets hard to drag them all to meets now which sucks :(

i count floating heads as a doll, and parts that i have in house as a doll, but i do list them as the parts. a part = .5 of a doll in my place. XD if i've ordered it it also counts. XD.

and i have never really sold a doll. i've sold a head that i got only so i could get the other one sold with it. but i kept it in a box save for one picture so i wouldn't get attached.

i have a rough idea of when they arrived. i do get them mixed up out of order sometimes. usually when i forget someone it's someone on order and hasn't arrived yet. (soom waits here)

Can you give a general description of how you usually play with or enjoy your many dolls?i sew for them and take pictures take them out to places. it really just depends on my mood who goes, who i'm meeting who they are bringing. and all that jazz. it also depends on who is with me cause alot stay at my freinds house.

lot's of projects. XD long term entanment. it takes a long time to finish a doll for me. usually envolves heavy modding.

And the last question:
      How many dolls do you own and what do you consider a "large" collection?after counting on my fingers and toes i have
      4 floating heads
      14 full dolls
      parts for 3 more on order
      parts for 2 more in a box ([tail and arm ]and a torso)
      and 9 puki faceplates in a box XD 6 of which are for new people not a second face. :?

so when i finish with bodies it'll be 29 :sweat :faint:

3. How did you end up with a large collection?
      This is kinda a mixture of different things. XD; I'm a writer and I love making up stories by myself and with others. I decided that I wanted to have dolls for characters from my stories, got Loki--and then his world began to expand. And then I began to have more storylines and things just grew from there. ^^;; DoA didn't help any, either. >>; Seeing certain molds and the possibilities that one could have with them made me start thinking, "Omg! That mold would be PERFECT for this character!" ...and things just continued to grow. XD

There's good things and bad things to it. I can't take everyone to a meet so no one has ever seen just how many dolls I really have--which I've always been leery of talking about in regards to numbers. My friends who know I collect (and some of them collect as well) have asked how many I have, and I've learned to hate that question. Because each time I answer, I get disbelief and questions about how expensive they are, and just the things that they say make me feel guilty and I absolutely hate that because my boys and girls make me happy. I love working with them, I love photographing them. I love sending certain ones off to elisa_maza (my favorite face-up artist) to have her bring them to life. There are so many things about them that make me happy, and add in the fact that they're representations of my characters and stories... how could I not love them?

The dolls themselves are grouped together, but I have different categories for them. XD I know which doll belongs to which story, said dolls history and relationship to the other dolls within a certain story... XD; Their things are just as organized, too. *facepalms* I'm not so good at remembering birthdates and arrival dates for them, though. :\ The only one who has a concrete birthday and arrival day is Akio, and that's because he arrived on Halloween last year. XD Easy to remember and awesome besides~

Can you give a general description of how you usually play with or enjoy your many dolls?
      I do have favorites--Loki is a main one since he was the first and he's the main character in my first story, anyway. Seimei gets a ton of attention, too. He's Loki's boyfriend in the non-RP storyline, I love his sculpt, and elisa_maza did such an amazing job with him. I'm so blown away! ^^ And Noah is the last one who gets favorite treatment. I fell in love with her when she originally belonged to a friend. So these three get photographed on a pretty regular basis. Everyone else... when I feel like it or when I think that they're 'complete.' XD; So I still have a couple of dolls that no one has ever seen before except in person (and therefore my friends).

The diversity. I love seeing different company bodies and the head molds for each. I love the different sizes, though I'm starting to realize that SD-size is most definitely my favorite. XD; Besides that, also learning the best way in working with a certain mold. It took me forever before I was able to get the hang of Loki's mold and now I'm currently planning a photoshoot for a friend's Ducan since she told me that she's never been able to get any decent pictures of him. ^^

I have nineteen dolls. And I don't really think of anything specific as being a "large" collection. Some people think that two dolls is a large collection; some people think that one hundred dolls is a large collection. So it's subjective and, as for me, I don't really think that anything is considered a large collection--it's just changing and growing and becoming more what you want.

4. How did you end up with a large collection?

I honestly don't know, the dolls just seem to be multiplying. My original plan was to have two MSD boys, but now nearly two years later I've got 11 dolls and one floating head.
      Maybe I should blame Fairyland? I just adore their sculpts, and especially the El mold. I've got three Minifรฉe Els, a Delf El mod and a Delf El Elf head.

How does it feel to own a lot of dolls
      I love looking at them and I feel so lucky to own them.

Organised at least so that I know when they arrived, since their arrival date is their 'birthday'. Otherwise they're pretty unorganised.

They are always seated in our living room, sometimes one or two of them sit with me or my husband at the computer and sometimes I also cuddle one of them when I watch tv. I change their clothes every now and then, but they seem to have their favourite clothing.

There's enought of them to play with - to take photos, make clothing etc.

Maybe 20 or more, so my collection is still quite small.

5. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I am a collector, in my way I always have been, my mother started this trend, encouraging stamp collecting etc. I was obsessed with horses as a kid and have every barbie horse released between 1984 and 1995 with three exceptions (and if I ever find them......)

I originally only wanted one BJD, I mean I looked at the price and was WHOA! I only got into them because I used to do goth customs on other dolls, repaints and the like, then I found dollfies, then super dollfies, then Luts, then Hound...and then I was lost, it was his hands I tell ya! After I got him my partner wanted one, and I saw elf Yder and wanted a playmate for my boy, his cousin, so a few months after the first one arrived a vamp shiwoo (witht he normal shiwoo head) and an elf Yder arrived....and then the floating heads became characters...who needed bodies..and then I had to collect the rest of the matching charas (I only need an Estella Boy to get them sorted) then I needed the other elves, then the wolves showed up uninvited.....

The collection has grown in a very organic way, there are my partner's vampires, my elves, band and wolves, and their families are slowly showing up as well.

I am not consistent in my count, sometimes I count the ones that are just heads, but only if they already have a character, sometimes I count ones I plan to have, but only if I am talking about the characters, not the actual resin.

I love owning a lot of dolls but I feel a little guilty that I simply do not have the time to sew for all of them. I take commissions and use the money I earn off sewing to purchase the dolls to fill out my collection. I have certain characters i am still chasing, that have been put off due to the release of limiteds and the like, but I work at it slowly and will get there eventually. I have all my dolls lined up on a shelf opposite my bed, and on the bedside tables, and it gives me a warm feeling to see not just the beauty I own and have collected but what I have created, since I created their looks, clothes, mods and in all cases but one, their faceups. The one is a Lee Jun Ki, and he will not be refaceupped until his rubs right off.

There is a wonderful side to owning a lot of dolls too, since mine are all different sculpts, it means I can help others, never seen a Domuya Zen? I hae one, here take a look. Want to know about hybriding this particular sculpt? well here is my advice on the matter. Most of my dolls are modded or hybrid, and I love them for that, and it always intrigues other people to see them. A lot of people also tell me that seeing what I have done with my collection has encouraged them to be more hands on and customise their dolls to get that perfect look as well.

The bad side would come in a couple of categories, guilt over money (I don't have any really) time to divide between them (I love them all a great deal and do not feel bad about this) and the attitudes of others. This has been a problem for me. I tend to toss it off and say "so what? they can think what they like, I am LUCKY and I know it, but I am not changing my doll habits to suit other people" In the past I have been called greedy for having so many (and I had no where near what I have now) I have been called rash in my purchasing, I have been called reckless in my modding and one person I know of hurt me so badly that I nearly left the boards (but certainly not the hobby) when they called one of my dolls in particular "fugly". People get hurtful, or jealous, or mean, and personally I have learned to ignore them. I have made a lot of great friends throughthis hobby, and those who know me, know my stories and know my dolls are supportive of me, those who criticise without knowing anything about what I am about, who I am, or what is the story with my dolls can do something I can't mention on the boards...slowly...with a chainsaw.

How do I deal with this sort of attitude? I don't, because is someone has it then it is their problem, not mine. I know a lot of people on the boards have had a lot of this sort of problem, but for the most part people are supportive. I do list them all in my profile, but not in my sig, it got a bit long and cumbersome. I will say that most of my collection has never been posted on the boards, I got most of them in my inactive period, so there were no opening threads, no intro threads, and often no database listings for my lot. The ones I have now? honestly between work, study and sewing I do not have time to do photostories and gallery posts very often, but I am planning some soon. I guess it is time to give the family an airing, and if anyone wants to tell me off for having a lot of dolls...well sod em!

Overall my experience of owning a lot of dolls has been wonderful, it means I have resin companions to suit all of my moods, it means I can sew for most dolls, and it means I can look up at them, get that warm feeling, and smile, knowing I love them all. The good outweighs the bad, by a long way, even if I did just focus a lot on the bad in my answer.

I used to meticulously keep track of their arrival dates and make those their birthdates, however I gave up on this after a while, i know roughly (month and year) when each arrived, whether it was second hand or new, and the details of sculpt (head and body) colour, faceup, eyes, wig, mods etc. I do not keep a record of this I just know it all.

I do keep them organised in certain ways though, mostly by groups. All of my groups are connected to one central character pretty much

Corpselight is my central character, the apex of my collection, and my first doll

The elves- these are members of Corpse's family from when he was a child, in Sinsereach, all magic using elves who deny technology (I think of then as the Elven Amish in a way) This group includes Devin, corpse's cousin, his wife (who is also C's sister) and their three children Tanneth, Zieruth and Thalis, Tanneth's husband Kerryn, C's other siblings Sammel and Leyla, and will eventually include C's parents Dauntine and Gabriel as well, and possibly some babies for Tanneth and kerryn.

The Band- Corpse is the lead singer of the band, all the other members are human, Originally I was just going to have Corpse and Devin, but Cain showed up by accident (he was the spare shiwoo head that came with my partner's first doll) so then I just had to get them all. The band includes Cain (double bass) and Able (drums) who are the twins, Darcy (viola) and Synner (keyboards) who are lovers, Aaron (second guitar) I am changing him to an estella soon, and Willow (lead guitar) but it also vaguely includes Lillith, Willow's daughter, and Brenda, Corpse's ex wife (their divorce surprised the hell out of me)

The Wolves- The wolves turned up by accident, when I got Devin his sleeping head hung around for over a year before it suddenly infomed me it was a werewolf named Gunther, Gunther attached himself to the band as a lighting and sound technition, and he has been following them around ever since. His long lost family have slowly turned up looking for him. The wolves include Gunther, his big brother Heindrikker, Heindrickker's kid Segurd, and Segurd's mother Niva.

The Dragons- Um...yeah these guys sort of turned up by accident too. i did a trade for a modified tender too, who was originally going to be Zieruth, but when Karsh showed up for sale the little Too informed me he was really a juvenille great dragon. Around the same time I purchased a Tender Bee A and Too, since I wanted a Bee A on a Petsha body to be Lillith, and this is just what the girl was, and I got the boy too thinking he would be an interesting neko boy. He had other plans and is now a water dragon. I have a feeling that the Bee A will be joining him soon as a fire dragon since I saw Rosette Fir, who is likely taking over the role of Lillith. Eventually there will be six dragons, water, air, fire, earth, light and dark.

It depends on my mood, who needs attention (newfaceup etc) or new clothes, who I am using as a sewing model, and who I just feel like hanging out with. Generally it will be a gorup, such as Cain and Able, Willow and Lillith, that sort of thing. Sometimes all the minis come out at once, sometimes the whole band, sometimes I want to play with one family, sometimes just an individual doll. If a new one has arrived, or just been completed, or gotten a new body then i will spend a fair bit of time getting to know them before I rotate again, I need to get to know all the quirks etc to be happy with them, and often mod them to make them right. Right now Able is getting the most time, he has a new body, but it needs some work to be perfect.

two things do it for me, the creativity and the community. I used to paint and draw a lot, but don't have time any more so I use my dolls as a creative outlet, I RP the characters, I sew for them, i paint and sculpt on them, and make them my own. I have learned no one else has to even like my dolls, I love them, and that is all that matters. I get a great deal of satisfaction from them.

I currently own 23 dolls, two are currently without bodies, one floating head with no character, and two heads for sale and two on order. I also have three dolls belonging to my partner in the house, making it 26 actual dolls and a few heads that live in our bedroom

This is certainly a large collection, but not huge, nothing really that unusual, there are many people on DoA with as many and a fair few with more.

6. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I think I've always had a decently long wish list. I don't think I've ever been a person to say "just one/two/five", I just feel like buying the dolls I want till I feel that I don't want or need anymore. The past year has been a lot better for me financially too, so it's been easier for me to buy dolls. XD
      I've always collected things though, before this it was anime figurines, so it's not surprising to me that I have ended up with so many.

I enjoy it. I've never really felt guilt for spending the money - I've earned it, I pay my bills, sponsor a child, and then this is my play money. There was a period where I felt guilty for not giving every doll equal attention, but I think that was more brought on from attitudes and opinions within the community (where some people feel you have to lavish constant attention on them to feel that you love them) rather than my own feelings. Once I got over that I was fine. I love picking up a doll I haven't done much with for awhile and falling in love with it all over again.
      Space wise it's starting to get troublesome to find places for them, but that's just lead to me thinking about clearing out things in the house I don't use to make room. XD

Organised I guess. While I don't have a spreadsheet or anything like that, I always make a post in my lj the day they arrive, and I tend to remember at least the month of each doll's arrival/birthdate, if not the day itself. I can always check my lj if I need to remember.
      I will only buy dolls that fit into my storyline characterwise, and fit with my other dolls aesthetically. Every one of my dolls is connected to at least one other doll. There's two "worlds", but even they're connected by one doll.
      I've never sold a doll, and I really don't want to, so I'm really certain in the kind of dolls I can have. There's plenty of gorgeous dolls out there I love to look at, but I know that I couldn't own them because they don't fit, or they're not my style (really happy dolls for example don't work for me, I'm at a loss for what to do with them).
      The downsides to it are trivial things really. It can be hard to decide who to bring to a meet or a con (and if you decide to bring a large amount to a friend's house, transporting them can be a pain), and getting them all ready can take a bit of time. Also having friends tell you to stop buying dolls just because they feel you have too many dolls is annoying at times. You stop talking to them about your doll purchases pretty quickly. :P

My dolls are all inspirations in various ways. Some I love to photograph more than others, some inspire me all the time to sew for them, others emanate their characters so much I want to write about them all the time. Others I like to just have sitting on my desk while I do things on the computer.
      My dolls sit around my lounge room, so I get to enjoy looking at them every day. Most days I'll pick up at least one and just play with their hair or whatever. Changing clothes is a bit of a chore now though, I have so many clothes, wigs and shoes they're all packed away in a chest, so if I have to take it out to change a doll's outfit, I usually change most of the dolls outfits at the same time just so I don't have to take the boxes out of the chest later XD

The variety definitely. I love collecting from lots of different companies, each company has their pros and cons, and sometimes seeing another company's body has spurred me on to mod one of my doll's bodies for better poseability.
      My dolls also cover a lot of different styles and moods, which is fun for photography and sewing.
      Having lots of dolls to interact with each other is also fun. I love trying to set up scenes for photos or just to amuse myself - the more dolls in it the harder it gets, but it's still a fun challenge.

I own 15 dolls, but two are conjoined twins, which I consider one doll, so it's more like 14. XD 3 of those are floating heads, but I'm in the process of buying them bodies, so they'll be complete soon enough. My husband also collects dolls, and he has 5, so altogether in the house we have 20.
      I think I would definitely consider a large collection over 10, though even when I owned around 7 I thought it was a lot.

7. How did you end up with a large collection?
      From the beginning, it was only going to be one - my Ichigo.
      But then, my friends started nagging me that he needed a friend/buddy. Then, I finally got the one I'd originally decided on getting, but hubby'd said no to... then... then... I got sucked in to the "OMG, he's Gorgeous!" trap, and suddenly, three years later, I've got a room full of the buggers. All gorgeous. Each one special.

Guilt? Absolutely. Regret? Not often. But guilt. It's a killer. I often go through bouts of depression, and contemplate selling them all but my first and favorite, simply because I feel I'm not worthy. I'm nothing special. Maybe someone else out there would love this or that one more than I do. Maybe they want him more. I don't do anything in life that I feel makes me more worthy of the dolls I have and love.
      But I AM determined.
      I've done whatever it took to get the ones I have, from selling others I really didn't want to sell, to just eating peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches for a month, in order to be able to get them.
      I just hope folks don't hate me for having dolls they want but can't afford, or couldn't get. Because if I sold them, they probably still couldn't afford them, and then there we'd both be - without the dolls we want.
      Overwhelmed? Just by guilt.

DoA Profile. Boy, if it weren't for that, I'd never be able to remember which order they came in, and no way in heck I'd remember dates!
      Physically, they used to be organized by big boys in the back row, littles up front. Now, however, I have both that shelf AND a table! Woot! So, they're just higgeldy-piggeldy. :)
      Rules? "Oooh! Pretty!" has served me well.... :lol:

Photostories. Hands down. Never would have believed it when I started. No way. Had no stories to tell! Nothing to say - much like I am in person. :sweat
      But then the buggers started talking to me, and then...

But mostly just that smile that breaks out whenever I look at them.
      Oh, and the ab rubbing... idle, distracted, random leg/hand/butt rubbing...
      Head patting... the occasional kiss... or two...

No matter what clothing I buy (was that for SD or SD13? Did that say "long legs"??? Crap!), it will fit SOMEbody.

Um... currently, 30, but that number fluctuates. My Marcus Baskin was so named because he was my 31st at that time. Nine other names are behind him now, and I'm back at thirty.
      And a body waiting for Iple House to hurry up and sell just his head (WS Gentle Soo Ri)!! rar.
      "Large"? Ten. More or less. ;)

8. How did you end up with a large collection?

At the very beginning the price tag of even one doll scared me. I did not plan on having more than 1 or 2. Then Dolpa LA happened and having able to see so many dolls in person made me appreciate them more - customization etc.

So here I am 2.5 years later.

I do not really feel anything.... I feel worse about the outfits which I have never used LOL LOL

Of course once in a while there is the quilt trip blah blah blah then you downsize then you buy more LOL LOL

not very well

So that way I can have more than one Williams LOL LOL

Over 30 full dolls plus a few rolling heads.... more than 10 is large

9. How did you end up with a large collection?
      The stork brought them?

HAHAHA, I really don't know. I only intended to have one, maybe two when I first started. But within the first month, I had bought three and it just went from there. I kept finding molds and dolls I liked, and they just kept arriving. :)

Cool? I don't know... I really don't think about it much, to be honest. My brood is my brood.

It's not! I remember roughly when they all arrived, but I tend to forget actual arrival dates. :(

They usually stay in my room, out of the direct sunlight but I tend to talk to them a lot, and pet them. I've recently started taking more pictures in more locations, so I've started handling them more, and making them do odder and odder things.

I'm definitely more of a collector.

The variety I have. No matter what I buy, it will fit SOMEONE, or at least, someone will wear it for the time being. :D

I own eight. I think I have one of the larger collections amongst my doll friends here in my city, but I'm sure there are many people here who have larger collections than me. One friend of mine once had 19, and I consider that to be very large! :)

I think anything above 10 is a large collection (hahaha, two more to go... if I ever get bodies for my floating heads, I shall break this magic number by 3).

10. How did you end up with a large collection?
      It just sort of happened. :lol: In the beginning I never even thought about how many I wanted; never said 'just one' or 'just four' or anything. I ordered my first and while I was waiting I bought a second. It sort of continued from there. Though, my buying tends to happen in spurts. I like to save up a lot of money and buy a few dolls rather than one at a time if I can help it. ^^

I try not to, but I do sometimes think "Wow, that’s so much money I’ve spent." xDD I don't regret buying any of my dolls, but I do feel the need to hide them a bit so no one yells at me for having so many..but otherwise I love having a lot of dolls and I definitly want more! :) As for unwanted attention...in the doll hobby it's fine. The worst by far is at home. My whole family is always on my case that I have too many. They want me to sell at least half of my 'collection' and then only buy another if I sell one first or trade it out. I just flat out say no...but it's hard to live with day to day.

Also, I am totally in denial as to how many I own. :lol: I once spent almost a week trying to rationalize a way to make the number smaller. Like, Puki's and tinies don't count at all, neither do floating heads...MSD's only count as half a doll, and so on. I'm still getting over that, but I now count all but the tinies in my total...usually. Depends on who's asking. >.> haha

I haven't felt overwhelmed with my number since I got Julian, my 5th doll. At that point I didn't have plans for more really...he was a doll I loved that my friend owned and when she suddenly put him up for sale, before I knew it he was home with me. I have a very dark day when I felt truely overwhelmed with my 5 SD dolls. I had run out of space on the drawer where they had sat and it was getting harder to play with them all everyday....after I got over it and made more space I felt better and haven't looked back yet. :) In fact, I look at my mini horde and think that it's actually quite small. I can visualize who else I want to come home and I feel lonely and sad that they aren't here yet. >w<; (I have plans for at least 10 more...)

Um, I always list them off in order of arrival. Always. It helps me keep track. I try to keep their profiles updated with arrival date and such, but otherwise they aren't very organized. I shuffle them around my room everyday too, though certain dolls prefer to sit by some more than others and mini clicks have started. xD;

Whoever I'm in the mood for gets played with. I always take one to work with me, and sometimes it's a different doll each day, sometimes the same doll for days in a row. (Shae lol) But I do not take my white skinned dolls out if it's sunny so they don't get played with as much, though I love them just as much as the others. I'm just paranoid about them yellowing too fast. :P I also have a few dolls (ok, mainly Shae) that I bought with the express purpose of taking them everywhere and doing everything with...so they get played with more. My limited Soom Heliot gets played with the least...though I love him...he's hard to play with and he is my whitest doll. :lol: But everyone gets cuddles and movie time. A few even get to share my bed at night. (Shae...lol Makenshi and Caspien too)

ALL THE RESIN LOVE. 8DD No really. It's like...love x 1000. >w< Ok, uh..the cuddles? The massive overload of prettiness? The chorus of loving voices in my head? Which sounds the least crazy? xD;; All are true. I don't think there is ONE best thing about having many dolls. :aheartbea

I have...*goes to count again*20 characters. BUT but, some are just heads/faceplates...so I don't know if they count. >.> *in denial* Let's not tell my parents that number...ok? They never wanted me to have even 8. lol I think a large collection is maybe...10+? Over 30 is like...wow~ <3 'horde' or 'massive horde' is better. I wonder if I'll end up with that many? :sweat

11. How did you end up with a large collection?

I went from wanting 2 dolls (2 MSDs) when I found out about BJDs in 2005 to saying "no more than 4" (2 MSD, 2 SD) to "no more than 6". I have eaten my words at every chance. I didn't plan on having as many as I have now and I'm still planning for quite a few more.

Sometimes I feel guilty when I'm really down in the dumps or missed on getting a doll I saw for sale in the marketplace cause I bought "so and so" a week or a month before. But I don't keep it on the "down low" about how many I own or want to own. I support myself in this hobby and I'm happy with what I'm able to have. One good thing about having quite a couple of sizes and various companies is some girls that are new to my local group I have been able to show them just how small a puki is, how to change eyes, how the elastic is, how the resins feel different with different companies. The more I get the easier this will be. Plus I've started doing BJD panels at my local anime convention so having a wide variety and quite a few numbers helps with examples. Far as the incoming dolls, I don't count them until I have they on layaway or I outright bought them but haven't arrived yet. I have a few faceplates around but I don't count them as "dolls", just a part.

I have a website for my dolls so that is the only way I have ever been able to remember the arrival dates. I collect what I like for the most part, but I do have a rule never to have one doll in one size (ex. 1 SD), I need two min in that size. Like right now I have one regular body MSD and it bugs me she's "alone". It just has always done this to me cause having two dolls in one size makes it much harder for me to justify getting another that size which helps me stop from buying others.

I "play" with them as I see fit. Right now my one girl Shay is getting a LOT of attention, but in a week I'll be "playing" with one of the others for some time.

They just make me happy looking at them. Photoshoots are more fun, photostories are WAY more fun, and meet ups are too.

And the last question:

Right now, I'm at 8 with 1 of those having been planned. That is how hard I fell. Currently I own 3 puki sized tinies, 2 YoSDs, 2 slim MSDs, 1 thick MSD, and 3 puki faceplates. On the saving list is another 7 which are definate adds. So that would put me at 15....so didn't think I've ever get over ten :sweat.

A large collection to me is over 20+, a "scary" collection is 50+, and a "O.o" collection is 100+.

12. How did you end up with a large collection?

I didn't plan to have this many dolls. I was sure that based on what was out there in the BJD world at the time that I could find suitable looking dolls for at least four of my story characters. That number expanded to eight as more doll companies cropped up - once that number was passed I just decided to go with it. So now I'm looking for all of my characters plus a few extras because there's always a niche to be filled in the crew.

I have mixed feeling about having so many dolls. I really enjoy having them all and I don't want to be without any of them but having all of them on my dresser is kinda scary. That's a lot of time, effort and money concentrated in one place. And as a friend of mine says "It looks like a soccer stadium".

The concentration of money is what I think about the most. I have a second job on top of demanding full time work to pay for a percentage of my doll purchases so I can't feel too bad about the money I've spent. Some of that money wouldn't be in my pockets without the dolls! haha! I still feel some guilt when I add up what I've spent, only because I. love. having. money. in. the. bank. But I do have money in the bank so that makes me feel better.

I don't really keep track of arrival dates but I know the order in which they arrived. I sometimes visually organize them by height, character age, family relations or group prestige!
      All of my doll stuff is very organized. I don't see the point of owning something I can't find.

I admire them every night as I'm falling asleep after a hard day at work. ;)

My second job is doll related so most of my dolly playtime is working! I take pictures of them almost every night for the last two weeks of every month. On my two weeks off I'll rearrange them, change some of their outfits and maaaybe take some pictures. I do have friends who own dolls so we'll hang out at each other houses, talk about new doll stuff and drink champagne. And again maaaybe take pictures. :sweat

Here's the only odd playtime thing: I never dress my dolls in new clothing the second it arrives. I tuck the clothing/wigs/shoes away so that some day when I feel like chaging their outfits I have something new to play with. I've had some outfits and shoes for years before anyone has ever worn them.

It pleases my eye to see a lot of variety. Just seeing my crew in three dimensional form pleases me every time I see them. Really nailing a look and feeling I've made another avatar, something that comes across to someone unfamiliar with the character feels good and having a big group to look through for hints of difference is a part of creating them individually.

I have gotten better at doing face-ups having painted most of them several times. I guess that's a perk too. I don't have to wipe too many faces off to get more practice!

When the two dolls I'm waiting for arrive I'll have 19 dolls (18 large, one mini), four extra heads and various extra arms, legs, hands and horns. And I have a few more planned. But here's where I mention that my partner also collects dolls and she has 15 plus several extra heads, etc. at least five more planned. Right now we're hoping to keep it under 40 total. ahem. argh.

I think more than 8-10 is a large collection if you only have large or mini dolls. I don't even know how to count tinies! Do you have to have more to make a large collection because they are so small? Or is that the way of thinking that makes tinies so much trouble?

13. I never thanked people for their replies. They were interesting to read as I keep seeing threads about small collections (or how people fail to stick to 1, 2 or 3 dolls). It's nice to hear people's thoughts on owning many dolls.
      I'd still like to hear more. ^_^

14. How did you end up with a large collection?

Just lucky, I guess. Some were Meant To Be and others drifted along.

Wonderful.

I have collected dolls all my life so, when I saw these, they were more beautiful dolls to collect.

I have a chart to keep up with the names, company, date of arrival. As for the dolls, they have houses, shelves, and tables.

I buy clothes for the big dolls, make clothes for the medium dolls, and keep the tinies in doll houses. I have some on my computer desk, a couple on my bedside table, and the Leekes are on a shelf over my computer.

Seeing all the beauty makes me happy.

I have many lovely faces to look at every day.

I have 46 dolls and I am buying a body for a floating head, so 47 soon.

I admit that 47 dolls is a large collection. But I love all of them. &#61514;

15. How did you end up with a large collection?
      At first I was just planning on having Nayo. He was going to be more of a shelf-baby, but I was still going to photograph him and whatnot. But he came with Lye.
      And then I joined a BJD forum (not this one) and was exposed to more dolls. And then I fell for iiru. And it just tumbled from there xD;;

The money-aspect comes to my mind sometimes...but I collect a lot of things so that's not just limited to dolls. It's kind of scary how much everything in my room would cost all added up... ; A;

I think it kind of annoys some of my irl doll friends that I have a lot (and it's really not that much compared to how many I want). The person with the second-highest count in our group has three...

My count is done on a character (in the house) basis, heads included.

Sometimes it's overwhelming, usually it's not. I wish I had more time to play with them, but next year is going to be a lot easier school-wise.

I can get kind of ocd about organizing things, so I keep track of when they arrived and when listing them out I always do so in order of arrival.

I tend to go for what I fall for, but of those the 'will definitely buy' ones on my wishlist are the ones that fit perfectly/have story lines already set up with the rest of the crew. The only doll on my wishlist I'm really unsure of is PW Punky Beetle; I really love the sculpt, but I don't know how well he'd look with iiru (they're the same size range). We'll see -guilty pleasure?-

Photoshoots or admiring them, mainly. I want to get into sewing, but the 'no time' issues comes up again. Will definitely sew more during the summer though. I'm getting into doing face-ups as well, haha.
      I pick who I'm going to work with just depending on how I feel at the time (lol, so specific). Sometimes I just feel like messing with iiru or Nayo or Victor, and etc.

The variety of the sculpts and getting to know each individual one (how they move, their best angles, and so on).
      And then photoshoots and soon-to-be photostories (developing the characters and having them interact) <3

I currently own 7 full dolls and 4 floating heads with 15+ more planned @ w@;;

Unsure, orz. I guess I'll say with 8 or so.

16. How did you end up with a large collection?
      In the beginning I was pretty happy with one. I didn't have a whole lot of free time with university and work, but as I finished school I had more time and there were dolls I really liked. I splurged for my birthday and got my second one and that started it. I realized how much fun it was to have multiple dolls and have them interact. So I started buying more and realized I love modding them too. Two of my dolls were sort of accidental buys. I got a practice head and found it a cheap body and got a doll that needed work really cheap and ended up falling in love so I never resold her.

I like having them all. I don't think about how much money I've put into each doll, but when I first buy them and I'm waiting I do tend to think about what else I could have spent the money on and feel guilty. Then I see them and realize its very much worth it and they aren't about money anymore. My collection isn't about size and how many I have or have spent. I don't think about that I have a lot of dolls. I'm not posting photos to brag and say 'Lookit what I've got! See how much I spent!'. I post photos because I like how my dolls look and like to take photos of them. I collect dolls I like and they all have different styles so each one is different from the rest.

I forget how long I've had each doll or when exactly I got them, but I don't forget which ones I have. Each doll stands out and I think if one of them didn't I'd sell it. If I can't remember I have it, that's a sign I don't really need it. I do have rules for each doll to keep their stuff from getting out of hand. Each doll has a theme colour and a specific style for their wardrobe so I don't just buy clothes that I think are cute and have no doll to wear them.

I get inspired for photos or to make them clothes or props and then I'll play with that doll or dolls more than the others. Sometimes I just want to play with one. I have favorites, but I like them all alot and have a hard time putting them in order of favorite to least favorite or which would be easier to sell if I had to.

All the different styles. Each one is so different it gives me a lot of options. If one day I want to do something pink, I have Pom, if I want gothic and dark, I have Thema, and if I feel like something moody and cranky, I have Aero. The more options I have, the more I can do.

I think for me too many is when I do forget what I have. Each person will have their own number of too many. I only have 5 dolls right now with about 3 more planned to round out my collection. After that I'll probably still want more and keep collecting as I can. Even when I'm not playing with them, they are out and posed since the room always has dark heavy curtains pulled closed so I get to see my dolls at all times and even that is a way I enjoy them. So long as I have the room to display them all I think it won't be too many.

17. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I started buying dolls to represent specific characters of mine, and it's a large cast. On top of that I have another decent sized storyline going, and I like to every now and then buy a doll just because it's pretty, rather than to suit a character. All that leads up to a lot of dolls.

Good, normal, uh...it's just what works for me. I'm very happy to have them, and it feels like it should.

A large collection is going to draw attention, good or bad, so how do you deal with that?
      I've never gotten any negative reactions, though every now and then someone will post something silly about people with large groups of dolls. I don't take a lot of pics, or I haven't in the past. I didn't have a camera for a long time, so it wasn't a case of keeping them under wraps. I know a fair number of people in real life that have quite a few dolls themselves, so they're certainly not in the position to give me any problems, lol. If people want to harass me about the number of dolls I own, then they'd really need to get a life--I'd have a hard time taking that too seriously. I mean come on, of all the things to be concerned about, the number of dolls someone owns just shouldn't be one of them.

I wonder how many people enjoy owning a lot of dolls and who are sort of in denial of owning that many.

Well, I'm not in denial--they're all sitting in my living room where I walk past them and look at them constantly. It becomes obvious that there's a lot of them sitting there when they're all looking at you.

Very. This is something that is very important to me as someone who has a large doll family. I have two large shelving units from IKEA that take up a wall that they sit on, and I keep all their clothes organized in decorative boxes that I keep on another set of shelves. If I feel that they and their things (because lets face it, a lot of dolls often = a lot of doll stuff) are not organized, I will not bring anyone new home until the situation is remedied. Disorganization is the only thing that can make me feel overwhelmed--I don't like the idea of possibly losing any of their things or them not having a safe place to sit.

On the whole I'm not a terribly well organized person, the dolls are pretty much the exception around here.

For hands on play, I rotate through the group depending on who I'm in the mood for or what projects I'm working on. I also like to write about their characters, and I feel when I am writing I am playing with them--it's just a mental game rather than a physical one. I just recently got a camera, so I can take more pics, I write about them, I do a little sewing, I've done a fair number of their faceups, and sometimes I just enjoy sitting with them, fussing over them, changing their clothes.

Being able to bring so many characters to life. Having them as dolls that I can interact with is very inspiring for me, and encourages a lot of creativity. Having a lot of characters means more character interaction which is a lot of fun. It also means that I have different doll groups, so if I'm not in the mood to play with one, I can go to the other--it always keeps things fresh.

And the last question:

I own 21 full dolls, and two floating heads. I don't know where I consider "large" beginning, as that's pretty relative. I feel like I have a lot of dolls, but I know there are people out there that own more than I do.

18. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I personally wanted only three dolls in the beginning. A DoT Lahoo, Ducan and a girl. But as I was still writing their stories, a larger crew of characters began to appear, and so my wishlist grew more and more...
      I also tend to instantly create a character for a mould that I fall in love with... and so they demand their own story crew.
      I really just unconsciously went on saving for and buying my dolls, and then I started to notice that the collection became larger than expected. And it's still growing, as I haven't completed my wishlist and more and more wonderful mould appear before me...

I really love all my dolls and I'm very happy to have them with me. But I never felt something like pride for owning a certain number of dolls. As a hobby, I don't think that someone who has 20 dolls should feel more important than someone who has one or two - hobbies were made to make us happy, and people can be happy with whatever number of dolls they have. My collection makes me happy, and that's what really matters. I take pictures of them because I like to, and not because I want to show them off.
      I feel a bit bad during college year because I can hardly give them attention, specially to all of them... but I'm really glad to know that when I get home, they will be waiting for me.
      Also, sometimes I feel really sad and disappointed when hearing that other people are counting how many dolls I have, and talk about it with other people behind my back as if I was doing something wrong. I can't get it at all. And I am not the first person who started to feel this way... I mean, why in the world would people waste their time by counting how many dolls other people have? And even when these other people are not counting their own collection themselves...?
      Lately I've been thinking of selling some dolls in order to reduce my collection, but it takes just one look at them for my heart to melt and I totally lose the guts to do it...

I usually group them by stories, and I keep a small list in a text file with each doll's status... the ones at home, the ones ordered, on shipping, wishlist (also organized by story)...
      I used to write down the arriving and order date of all of them, but I think I've become lazy. But I do know when they have completed a year at home or so... especially my first boy, who has the same arrival date as one of my friend's birthday. lol

Mostly during holidays... I just play with the one I want at the moment, or one that I feel that needs more attention. I don't really keep a schedule, it depends on my mood. When I'm unhappy, I like to get the ones with more delicate and caring personality. When I'm electric, the ones with a most energetic personality. And when I'm really patient, I usually get the ones that are harder to handle (like Hyperion, my Sard with his hooves or the ones with body blushing). And I own mostly SD13 sized dolls because I feel comfortable holding them. Unfortunately the MSDs and Tinies are a bit left out because they're so small I can hardly feel them when I'm hugging them... >_<"

To see all those characters in a form that I can actually see, feel, hug them. And to know that all of them have (or will have) their complete story crew to interact with and, in my crazy mind, not to feel lonely without their friends. Also, it's great to see many different dolls in different styles, personalities, etc.
      It's also great to see all those faces you love when you get home from a hard day. <3

My friend told me 43... including the floating heads, waiting and layaway ones, but I really haven't actually counted it. Hah.
      I think that's a big collection, specially since they've taken all the space in my room. But I think that something over 10 or 20 dolls is already a big collection...

19. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Well, I never really planned to have such a large collection, but I am glad I do! I knew I wouldn't just stick with one but I never thought it would escalate to the amount I have. My problem is I feel sorry for em on the marketplace, and also if I see a good deal I have to snatch it up! I have always loved collecting things, from lego to Pokemon cards and memorabilia, and finally settled down with a collection of aesthetically pleasing things.

My dad is the one who usually asks "So, how much are they all worth?"
      SOMETIMES....rarely I feel a bit of guilt spending money on them but I think, well, people collect fast cars, handbags, shoes, I just picked something a little more unique.
      I love to share my collection, I have a database website of them all, I take them to meets, I try to juggle it so they all can get out.
      It makes me feel quite happy to have so many happy (and sulky) faces around my room. I dont just have BJD, I have a variety of other types of doll too, mainly Pullip. The only thing I really wish is that I could have a bit more room for them all, as I need to put some shelves up to home the incoming ones. They can live on my bed for now XD. I don't think I will stop collecting. Though, a bit of a guilty pleasure is thinking how I must be one of the only people in the UK with such a large collection (not that makes me any better than any other collector of course ^^).

I NEVER note down arrival dates etc. They arrive, and it's like they have been here for a long time. I could do with some new costumes for some, but I know thats next on the agenda :).

I do randomly pick who gets attention or who gets out on a meet etc. I like to vary whom I play with but, as for photography, the more photogenic/poseable ones usually take presidence. I don't like to do this, but I find myself doing it automatically at times.

Having a lot of friends xD. Really, I love variety, and having lots of different companies and moulds makes me happy. I love the thought of "adopting" many peoples dolls, I would love to open a museum haha!

And the last question:
      I think this really depends on the owner. Some people may consider 6 to be a large collection, some 100!
      Ok, at the moment I have (only counting BJD):

39 full dolls.
      7 full dolls on the way/being paid off.

15 heads (Some have bodies on the way)
      3 on the way, a possible 4th and a couple of minimees....

That will be a grand total of 67...I'm almost at 70! Yikes!

20. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Frankly speaking, I told myself I'd stop at just TWO. But then I got tempted and started creating characters for more dolls than I had. Eventually, I planned a family. I currently have 5 dolls, but I used to have more than 10.

It wears you down alot really.. other than money issues. Because after some time.. I realised that some of the molds were impulse buys... and that... they don't really "fit in" with the character I had in mind. Sure they are pretty, and they certainly dolls on my wishlist.. but.. the just "bond" isn't there. Strange, but true. that's why I sold off part of my collection.

Pretty messy actually. At first I thought I had it all planned - which dolls to get first and so on.. But then these plans tend to change! Like when a limited edition doll is released and it catches your eye. This happens all the time for me actually =w= And then I kinda stray off my original plan :sweat

I tend to be abittttttt biased with some of my dolls (hey who doesn't!) and most of the time, these dolls are more favoured upon and played with. But the rest of my dolls get attention too because I do make some of my dolls to be part of a certain "group" or "class" and sometimes, my favourites just don't happen to be in it ^^;

The feeling of satisfaction I suppose. Like.. you've manged to actually "create" the characters you've planned for.

Currently 5. But I used to have more than 10. I guess I will consider anything more than 10 a large collection.