1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The experience of owning many dolls

Sep 10, 2009

1. How did you end up with a large collection?

I went into this knowing there would be several. It's not unplanned.

How does it feel to own a lot of dolls?

Perfectly normal, thank you.

How organized is your collection?

Quite. Each of them has a basket for their clothes and whatever doll-specific props aren't in use at the moment. The baskets get stored in one spot, larger props and the photo area in another. There's certain spots dolls are displayed in.

I also have a log of what dolls I have and when they got completed.

Can you give a general description of how you usually play with or enjoy your many dolls?

By now most of them have certain others they hang around with, so they get posed and displayed and photographed together.

What do you consider the best part of owning many dolls?

I like everyone to have at least one friend or companion. ^^ If they don't have one yet, it's in the plan somewhere ...

How many dolls do you own and what do you consider a "large" collection?

3 big girls, 4 minis, 1 tiny. 3 in progress, one in transit, one floating head.

"Large" would be them not all fitting in the cabinet. I could get them all in now comfortably if I moved a few knicknacks to the other cabinet, if I really had to.

2. Guess I should probably put in my 2 cents here, hmmmmmmmm...

How did you end up with a large collection?
      It just happened, really...I have "collected" various things for many years, and this is an extension of that trend. I was okay until I got my first tiny, Fee, and then I discovered she had a lot of friends she wanted to invite to come and live with us.

I've had both good and bad experiences....I really enjoy being able to share my collection during workshops or presentations, and giving people the opportunity to see many of the dolls in real life. I enjoy being able to answer questions people have about the dolls. Most of the unpleasant experience had to do with people feeling that it was their business how many dolls I owned, and unfortunately the majority of those have been here on DOA. I've never had anything but positive feedback in real life. I guess from a money point of view, some see it as a waste, but it was my money to waste as I saw fit. One of the best experiences was at the last BJDC when I did the Tinys Meetup, and was able to "enable" quite a few tiny lovers to join the fever. As long as I still enjoy them and can afford them, the more, the merrier.

I count the ones I've ordered/paid for, but not "planned" ones. I only have a couple of floating heads, and I don't count them. I have never sold a doll.

I definitely keep track of order and arrival dates, company, mold, etc. I have a very good memory, so I know who everyone is without the need of any lists....having been a teacher for 20 years has helped with the name recall issue ;)

I tend toward tinys, but I definitely collect what I like and what seems reasonably priced. I prefer to adopt when I can.

Can you give a general description of how you usually play with or enjoy your many dolls?
      I have definite favorites, but everyone is out and displayed. I enjoy sewing for the smaller ones, and creating other things. I take a couple of dolls with me whenever I travel, and they become the subjects in my pictures. Through these dolls I renewed my creative interest in sewing, sparking the start of Pixiedust Designs.

Sharing them, and being able to use the information I've accumulated through having them to help others. I really enjoy the variety of different companies and molds represented in my hoarde. I enjoy having them around, because they're beautiful. Having other people like my wardrobe creations enough to buy them for their dolls is pretty great, too.

My group passed the three-digit mark a while ago. I think everyone has their own opinion of what a "large" collection is...I think it depends on your space, interest, and personal economy.

3. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Easy, you lurk the internet, you see new, beautiful boys who fit your characters like gloves and you go, "hell what, I got the money", so you buy them and they just keep coming and coming ^^;

It's nice, feels like there's lots of people living with you XD
      I do feel guilty when I spend a long time without giving one of them proper attention, and I try to tend to them equally.

I keep almost everything on the same place, where I know I can find it, and everyone is kept in boxes when I'm not playing with them.
      I usually put 2 SDs on the same box, since it fits nicely, and that way it feels like they won't be alone (weird huh), but it's a great way to save space in my messy room - not really messy, but way too much stuff for it.

Can you give a general description of how you usual play with or enjoy your many dolls?
      It depends of how I feel. Some of them are an easy, sweeter company. But I try to keep it balanced and not favor any of them too much, though the smallests are the best to sit on my lap.
      When I feel like it, I make day-by-day situations and play it out, sometimes take pics, yadda yadda....

Their interaction surprise/amuse me tons!!!!!!

And the last question:

I own 2 SD17, 2 SD13, an MSD and a YoSD. I'd consider a large collection to be over 40, because it grows a little beyond a normal person's capacity to play and care for all of them?
      I wonder what I'll do if I ever reach 20!!!

4. How did you end up with a large collection?

Well, it wasn't meant to be so large! I only wanted a couple, but found so many faces I could not live without! Some did move on, but most have stayed. And as those grew in number, not all are in the same story.

Some days there are too many and some days....well, if I lost any due to a fire or something, I would be extremely upset.

That depends! The dolls and heads all sit out. Clothing is MOSTLY put up, as are wigs, but some are out, waiting on me to put it back.

Well, some days I just enjoy looking at them, or taking them to meets or outside for photos. I have sewn for certain ones.

The styles they all wear! Some are normal everyday people, more or less, and some are rockers and punkers...they can wear stuff I can't! And the beauty in each one...sometimes it is just amazing. I can stare at some for hours.

Almost 47...and yes mine is large. I have a Volks Chika I have incoming and other dolls I want to order.

5. How did you end up with a large collection?

I always wanted it to be large, I just didnt know to what extent lol Otherwise, lots and lots of saving/scrimping and a love for storytelling

I love it. Even if I cant play with them all the time I see them in their happy little families and it brightens my day

Its not. Right now everyone tries to squeeze into one cabinet, later I want a bunkbed dollhouse to make entire rooms, but for now they all squish in and their clothes are crammed into one of my dresser drawers
      Can you give a general description of how you usual play with or enjoy your many dolls?

They are all part of different stories to its not overwhelming doing photoshoots with each or making living spaces for them. I like making clothes, painting them, modding them, writing about them, creating sets, and just generally toting them about/posing them

The diversity. You can have a doll for everything. "well this is my moody doll, my girly-girl, my bad boy, my robot.." etc

And the last question:

Right now I own peices(heads or bodies) or whole dolls of 6 SDs, 7 msds, and 3 tinies. In the future I would like my collection to round off around 25 or so, but who knows if thatll ever happen lol I dont like putting limits on myself :) I would consider a collection large once it hits the 30s or so, so im just getting started XD

6. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Like most people, it definitely wasn't planned. However, my first doll was the "El Special" where you get the dreaming head and the normal El head, but only one body. Well, it was the dreaming head I had really wanted for an orichara and I was using the El head just to practice painting and modding. One day, I noticed that the head looked awfully like a certain fanchara...

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I vastly prefer the 60cm dolls, so they take up a lot of room as I keep them in my bedroom because I like staring at them. There's no guilt about the "money spent," but there's just a frustration because I'm running out of room and I can't box them up because I want to look at them!

My dolls are definitely grouped, even in how they're displayed. If they have related stories, they are set together. For general purposes though, I tend to just divide my dolls into three categories: orichara (no preset story or just a fragmented story), fanchara (AU versions of established characters), and kashmir (an original setting with an involved story).

I can remember the order they were purchased and the circumstances involved in their purchase, but not exact dates or anything. I don't think I have enough dolls to forget I own one.

I uh. Stare at them. A lot. Hahahaha. I hate taking photos. It's so much work! And I'm not any good at it. I also consider all my dolls to be shells of whatever character they are--essentially glorified figures.

I do like painting face-ups though, which is the biggest creative aspect for me. Nearly all my dolls have my own face-ups, for better or worse. Having many dolls means I can paint different faces and different molds without dealing with commissions.

Variety! All my dolls are different in personality and looks, so when it comes to clothes, moods, or just what I feel like gawking at, there's always something different.

It's hard to lavish attention equally, but everyone gets a little love--especially if I find some new outfit that's just perfect for them. However, it's always hard to decide on just what one or two you want to bring to a meet-up. XD;

Including my DDs, I own 13: 10 SD-size, 1 MSD, 2 tinies. I've got a few floaty heads and a floaty body. I'm saving up for another SD currently as well, but that is the only plan for expansion.

I don't honestly consider it a large collection, especially compared to other doll collectors, such as those that replied in this thread! But I know to my doll friends/regular friends, it seems excessive. I joke about the "large collection" but I honestly mean it more in terms of space. I'm looking at the five that's crowding my computer desk right now--Hijikata is currently using my external drive as his throne, my DD is settled comfortably on my scanner, and a tiny is perched atop CD stackers, while my CP brothers are chilling on the only space on my desk not dominated by dolls or computer hardware--and it's like the old lady in the shoe. XD;

I don't even know what I consider a "large" collection though; I guess it's just whatever comfort level you have?

7. How did you end up with a large collection?
      At first I just wanted to get one doll, to make sure this was my "thing" before committing further funds to the hobby, so I chose a standalone character who wouldn't need "friends". After I decided I absolutely loved the hobby, I set the goal to get the main characters of one of my stories...and then eventually side characters started to creep in...and they continue to do so. ^^;;;

I guess off and on I feel guilty for owning so many, especially with all the people who would love to be able to have just one...but on the other hand, I really don't shop for myself at all or go do things that cost money like a lot of people do, so I also feel that I've just prioritized my spending in a way that pleases me...
      I don't know if I deal with the attention well or not...I bring a lot to meets when I know there will be room for them, because I'd hate for someone to miss the chance to do a resin comparison they wanted or see something in person that I had but didn't bring...
      I guess it doesn't always occur to me that I have as many as I do, as they're hardly ever all out at once...I feel extremely fortunate to have the amount I do, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed enough that I think I may stop acquiring new resin soonish...I don't want to have so many that I can't appreciate each one individually, or afford to clothe and accessorize each one to my satisfaction...

I don't keep track of exactly when each doll arrived, but I do keep track of what order they arrived in...I guess they're sort of grouped in my mind between "Main Characters", "Side Characters", and "Fun Dolls" (the non-story standalone characters).
      I follow a rough rule that the doll has to look like the character in my head/drawings, but if I don't like a sculpt a lot I won't get it. Also, if I SUPER love a sculpt, but have no character for it...I will occasionally make a character for it...but I'm trying not to do that so much. ^^;;;

I take pictures of whoever has a new clothing item or something new while I'm still excited over the new thing...and I do photoshoots/stories or make random items for them as the inspiration hits...just kinda sporadically. ^^;;;
      My main crew is finally coming together, starting to look finished, so I plan to do a series of photostories of my main story with that group when they all look like they're supposed to. :)

Hmmm...resin comparisons are much easier when you have variety...you get to experience a lot of different types of joints and posing (well, unless you only own dolls of the same company, I suppose?)...it's nice to have multiple personalities to play with in photos, some cheerful, some gloomy, some cute...I like having a balance of moods. XD

I have 12 full dolls and two heads at home, and 4 dolls on the way.
      I guess I'd consider 10+ a "large" collection...

8. How did you end up with a large collection?

I guess I caught Limited doll fever, and really got hooked by the thought that I wouldn't be able to get that doll ever again. Having been in the hobby longer I have learned that that is not the case, and if a doll is meant to be ours, then someday it will be. This has significantly lowered the number of incoming dolls I have currently.

I really enjoy it actually. The are alot of fun to just look at and really cheer me up if I'm having a rotten day.

Pretty good I think. I don't have a lot of space but they are all on shelves or in my cabinet. I wish I could get more organized with clothes and wigs. They are all together, but scattered between a few boxes. New goal is to get an area for them and store them all together to ease the "OMG I KNOW I HAVE THAT WIG SOMEWHERE!" craziness of late.

I love to sew for them the most, but also planning what I will buy/make next for them is really fun. I find that part more fun than actually ordering. I do take some photographs, but my skills are limited so maybe in the future that will be something to work on.

They just look so darn cute together. They didnt really feel complete until I had my first 4 Sd's all together, now it feels like a little doll family.

I have 13, and one on the way. 7 Sd's, 3 MSD's, and 4 mini-gems (1 incoming). I think I'm actually getting close to being too large, but I doubt it will make me stop. I think 20 would be ideal, and anything over 25 would be to much for myself to handle. But again, the longer I am in this hobby it feels inevitable that I will get there!

9. How did you end up with a large collection?
      They just accumulated! I buy dolls to fit my characters, not dolls I have to figure out what to do with after I buy them.. so I always have some sort of game plan and am always satisfied with my purchases. This being said, I've never sold a doll! I role play with my dolls online and will get dolls that fit into what's going on.

It feels fine? I love all of my dolls. It really doesn't bother me or anything like that! I'd also like to note that all my dolls are the same scale and look good together. It's not that I plan it that way, but I have very specific tastes that kind of cause that to happen.

I don't really organize them, I guess. They are all in their carriers or boxes when I'm not playing with them. I keep all their clothing together in bags... so I have to go diving when I want a particular item. It's really not too bad.

I sometimes drag them all out to watch tv with me, but most of the time I'll take one or two out at a time and play with them. I photograph them, make clothing for them, do face-ups and/or body blushing/tattoos on them. As I mentioned, I roleplay with my dolls too.. with other people that role play as their dolls. I have just a ton of fun with my dolls!

I like pretty much everything about owning dolls.. I like being able to experiment with clothing designs for them, I like to 'customize them' and make them into their characters, I enjoy photographing them, just sitting with them, I enjoy the sense of community and all the very good friends I've made from having dolls. and I like being able to just have a physical representation of characters I've had for years and years.

I own 7 dolls right now and a floating head I got for free with one of them, but I really don't know how many I'll end up with. Not too many more, I think. I can only see getting maybe three more for now.. or I only have plans for three more, I should say! I think 30 dolls is a large collection. I've a friend with 20 something and I think I'm so used to being around hers that it doesn't seem like so many anymore.

10. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I had been collecting vinyl dolls for a very long time, so it was natural to merge into the bjd's. I had a story that was running through my head of a set of triplets, one boy and two girls who were separted when then were young. I decided to purchase three dolls at the same time. Well, my dolls needed companions then kids,then friends, cousins, pets, etc......You get the picture.

I love the feel of owning my dolls. I feel like these are truly my dolls, the other dolls I have, I see them as investments.

I actually keep track when I ordered the doll when I get an email when it ships and when I receive. I have emails and receipts in files. My dolls are in a separate room I call the Sanctuary(library/craftroom). I have the dolls on shelves and all the extra clothes and wigs, etc and have those in a rolling cart that has drawers.

Before I start anything, I'll sit down and just watch them for a couple of mintues, and decide what needs to be done. Do they need anything, should I move them to another location, do they need a change of clothes. I love doing those things.

The best part I think is you can create who every you want the doll to be. I like people to see my dolls and see a little part of me, part of what I can do.

At home I have 17 dolls ,but I have 8 dolls trying to make it home, by the end of the year I should have 25! What do I consider a large collection I guess I would say 10+.

11. Normally I read through old responces before answering, but I think I'll fly into this one blind.

I'm not sure I really count my collection as large, but it got the way it is through much buying and selling. I had more dolls just a little while ago, but I relized that I was metally spliting my collection into bjds I love and want around, and those I was just keeping around because they were cute, or I had a plan that I might do down the road. I've sold off all the ones I didn't love and kept the ones I really want around.

When I had more I felt overwhelmed. Now that I have a few less, but ones that I really love, I feel much happier. They take up a lot of space, but I feel like they belong where they are.

Fairly well orginized. They are divided into two groups with one outcast at the moment. The larger group has their own room that I'm building them, when I'm done that I plan to build the second group their own smaller room.
      The clothing could be a bit better, at the moment I just have one large box to hold it all in, so I frequently have to go digging around the find the pieces I want.

At the moment I still only take pictures of one at a time, there is definatly a learning curve to posing two or more bjds for the same shoot, but I love being able to pose them all togeather in their room.

I like being able to pose them interacting, not just for photos, but just for my own sake. When I walk past them it makes me smile to see them in their own little world, doing their own thing, having a conversation or cuddling on the couch.

I currently have 5 full bjds, with 2 on the way, one floating head, and at least 2 more planned.
      I think a large collection varies depending on the size. I think for sd or msds around 10+ can be considered large, or tinies maybe 15+, but I also think it depends on the person. I hate having extra stuff around me so if something isn't being used/loved on a regular basis it has to go, for example I only own 2 pairs of shoes because that's all I use and having more around would bug me but, for some people that's nothing.

12. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Well I intended to just have two: Josslyn and one really special one. Then I intended only to collect dolls that were chocolate brown like Josslyn and Adia. My husband smirked and said I'd end up with 7. I found my really special girl and ordered her, but then I found a little boy that was too cute. And then, and then, and then.. Suffice to say that my husband gets an annoying little "I told you so :3" grin on his face whenever I talk about a new doll I like as I not only have 7 but have almost doubled the prediction. XP

How does it feel to own a lot of dolls??
      Not that different from owning one or two. The annoying thing is trying to figure out who to bring somewhere and transporting the lot. It's easy to forget how much stuff they each "acquire" until you have to move it all.

I know everyone's name, but I keep a spreadsheet of my dolls in order of order date; here they're organized by arrival. The spreadsheet has names, companies, and other details (eyes, clothes, etc). Some of my dolls are siblings or otherwise related, but when it comes to being displayed I usually group them by size. This is more of a practical issue; my yo-sizes are in the living room while my minis and SD are in my room.

I play with my dolls by changing an outfit, repositioning, dusting, and the occasional cuddling. As a young girl I lovingly destroyed my dolls, but I never saw it as such until I got older. I realized that I liked looking at my dolls and imagining their conversations rather than speaking for them, and that I liked seeing them all neat and pretty. It's kind of sad because I actually did more with my Barbies in terms of customizing, crafting, and play playing than I do with my bjds.

The variety and the stories that form in my head.

I have 11 dolls, one on layaway, and one head. I consider a large collection one that is 10+.

13. I have past 60 now, and am only getting certain ones now. If I can't even create a name, no. No matter how pretty. I have finally worked out, kinda, how certain ones fit in the story!

14. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I honestly don't know. I started off knowing that I wanted to own at least a male and a female in every size. It kind of ballooned though as I found more and more dolls I liked so currently I am working on owning at least one doll from each of my favourite companies.

A bit scary sometimes. At times I feel like I've gotten out of control and that I will never be able to just stop getting more dolls. I also feel guilty at times that I've spent all this money on dolls when I could've saved that money for school or a vacation.

I don't know how many people know exactly how many dolls I have but I have had the "Woah you've got a lot! Maybe you should slow down buying them?" comments from people who do know my habits. Usually that makes me feel a bit ashamed that I've only been in the hobby about 3 years now and have bought this many dolls in that time alone. I know I need to slow down but when I have a bit of extra money and see a particular doll I love I just can't stop. I've had even worse issues with LE dolls as I always seem to be drawn to them somehow. In general I try not to advertise the number I have because I really do feel bad about how much I've spent on them.

I also feel bad at times because I have all of these dolls and I don't think I've spent enough time with some of them. I feel like I want to develop characters, clothing, stories, etc for each doll but every time I go to do it, something comes up or I get scared by how many I have and wander off to not think about it.

At other times though, I'll just walk by my doll shelves and will not be able to help myself from smiling. Seeing all of my dolls and all of them looking wonderful just makes me stop and realize that I got into the hobby because I love looking at the dolls. I didn't buy them to play with, I bought them because they were so beautiful and inspirational to me that I wanted to own them and have them around me so I could see them every day.

I do keep track of when each doll arrives and have it usually written on my profile here. I want to make sure I have record of that because I like knowing how long I've had them or how long it's taken me to bond or get used to having them around.

I don't have any rules for buying them. I have dolls from at least 6 different companies and plan to add 3 more companies to that list. I like how different they are and I like seeing the differences in them. I bought each doll because of the differences from the others and am glad I did. Otherwise I wouldn't have my lovely rag-tag group that I do.

At one point I did try to do rotations. Each doll would be out and about the room for a day or two before heading back on the shelf to be replaced by another doll. It worked fairly well because I had a bit of private time with each doll to try to get a character or ideas running about them.

I did end up forgetting to keep up with it after a point when I got too busy with life. Right now all of my dolls are just sitting on the two shelves they share and I'll sort of pick up and pose a different one depending on my mood.

Having a variety of dolls to look at. It's nice to look on the shelf and spend time looking through everyone's faces, clothes and faceups.

Currently I own 10 dolls and plan to get about 3 more. I think anything over 5 is fairly large although that could just be me. I think when you are having trouble fitting all of your dolls on one shelf (and not just because of their size) then you have a large collection :).

15. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Originally I was going to get a couple of different sizes to sew clothes and sell them...well, that never happened. I found I just liked cruising the MP looking for scratch and dent dolls, and then I developed a taste for more expensive dolls, but I couldn't part with some of the ratty dolls (though I have sold or passed along a lot of dolls), so they built up, like lint in the dryer (but more fun).
      It's both wonderful and annoying. They do take up space, and I have to keep them in boxes unless I am actually working with them, and I would much prefer to keep them in a more accessible way, because I love looking at them. But I can let someone snore in a box for a month or two, and then have the fun of rediscovering them after they have been "away."And no matter what the clothing item is, someone can wear it. As long as they are SD clothes..I succumbed to one tiny but that is it. Really. No tinies. Not even adorable deer-antlered ones from Soom OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE..ahem.

I'm not sure wrapped in tissue in a box is organized, but I keep a list of who is here, and the parts and heads are in a separate storage area. Each doll has it's own labelled box for it's clothes, wig and shoes, though some do share items and I am forever digging to remember who had what last. Shoes are especially elusive. I don't keep track of arrival dates, though I do have a list of sold dolls and their owners and postage receipts, for tax purposes (I pay sales tax on my sold items).

I like customizing them; I put wonky faceups and homemade wigs on them, annoy my family members with them, and take photos and consider plot lines with them, at least the ones that are part of my ongoing sf story. I take them apart and look at the engineering of the joints, make homemade eyes for them, and use them for drawing practice. I mix and match heads and bodies. Hours of fun when I should be working.

No matter what my mood, there is always a doll that fits..or needs work so I can procrastinate doing something more useful.

Uh, I think it's 36 but some are sharing bodies and I just rotated out a couple of heads..I try to have a one in, one out policy but that hasn't been terribly effective lately..I just bought back a head I had before. :o I also have a lot of random parts I don't count. I still have dolls I'd love to own but I haven't really decided if I want to add to the headcount yet--I'd rather keep it around 20 and just go nuts buying clothes and making props..but I like the ones I have.

16. I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread but I am procrastinating other work I am supposed to be doing so I'll add my warped perspective. ;)

I have always been a doll collector. It's not unusual for me to eventually accumulate particular dolls I enjoy and when I phased interests out of other dolls and moved to BJDs, I just prefer to spend my money on BJDs.

How does it feel to own a lot of dolls??
      It's natural to me but they don't overwhelm me, strangely enough. I love having the variety because there is always a doll to suit my mood.

Pretty organized but because of my OCD tendencies. I have a database, my doll clothes are organized by size, I have wigs in 2 bins and shoes in another. I have an "In Process" bin that I sort as needed but is a catch all for new items or items in transition (am I going to keep it or sell it).

I play by changing clothes and putting together different looks for my dolls, posing the dolls in scenarios and especially with my tinies, I have dioramas and homes for them so I play by fixing their homes up as well. I occasionally take pics or do photo-stories but I am not the best photographer so I have to be in the mood to do that. I occasionally sew when inclined to and occasionally enhance my dolls but I don't do faceups from scratch. Not my thing. :) I know my limitations.

The variety for sure! There is always someone you can play with and bond with especially when you need a change. You can create massive, complicated storylines and histories and develop your universe how they are all connected. And it's fun to go to meetups throughout the year and be able to take different dolls each and every time.

I am in the upper levels of excess, I have to admit. I currently have 90 complete dolls: 6 SD, 10 MSD, 74 tinies. I have 3 floating heads and a bunch of PukiPuki faceplates. I don't feel it's a lot because they are mostly tinies and you can have more tinies occupy a shelf than MSD or SD type dolls. Do I feel guilty? Sometimes but I work hard for doll money and my household in good shape, my kids are healthy and are not lacking, my husband has his own hobbies and interests. I budget well and with planning and patience, I have added all these dolls to my collection and I am where I am.

For me, if someone had over 30 dolls and they were mostly SD and MSD, that is a large collection to me where as I have 16: 6 SD and 10 MSD. But my tinies tip the scale and I hit too much after 40, seriously but I love Pukis and I am a sucker for the small ones! I don't think I can part with anyone right now. The ones I could live without are already sold and gone.

17. How did you end up with a large collection?
      I just got looking at dolls...and then there was Soom...They just kinda...Added on. I have no idea how. Really.

Well, I'll admit. I haven't bonded the best with some of them because they were kinda impulse buys...But I would never sell any of my collection so they are lessons that I should think about what I really want. I'm sure that I will bond with them equally once I get them all done. Some days I really question my collection and wonder if I'm in over my head. Other days I think, 'oh hey, this isn't so bad, I love them all!'. So maybe once I get them fully up to my likings I won't feel so regretful on some of my purchases.

I do have the dates of every arrival. They are recorded on the computer and in a notebook because I'm a dork like that. :L I am currently in the process of perfecting them all, and I'm getting rid of things I don't need. I do keep my dolls tidy though. As in, I don't leave them laying around. They are in safe spots and I can locate them easily in my room.

Basically I look at them and decide who I want to photograph/have sit on my desk beside me that day the most. Then the next day I do the same thing but pick a different doll.

You have lots of options to choose from when it comes to photographing them or choosing a model for clothing items and such.

I just bought another doll so my total comes to 16 at this point. Sometimes I feel like my collection is too big but then I find out many collectors have more than I do and they can manage it so I don't feel so bad to be owning this many dolls. I'm not sure what my limit is I know a couple years ago I made a list of every doll I wanted and it was well over twenty dolls. It's changed nowadays but I really have no idea what a large collection to myself is. In general I'd say once you get past ten dolls it becomes a larger collection than most. It's truly about what you can handle and how many make you happy.

18. How did you end up with a large collection?
      Originally I wanted only 2! But somehow I continued looking and falling in love with more and different sizes. Then I planned to get dolls of every popular size (mainly because I always saw great outfits and the sizes I currently owned couldn't wear them). Now I still find so many wonderful doll releases and can't stop when I see one I completely fall in love. I started to plan for several doll themes (I need some elves, demons, steampunk, uniform boys,...), so the collection is still growing.

It's both wonderful and also annoying sometimes. The wonderful part is, I have many different dolls to play with and can get them all kind of outfits. But the annoying part is free space and dust! First it looked great how I had placed them on my desk, but now they are all standing as close as possible, which reminds me on mass animal farming.

I have all my dolls with arrival dates, character info etc. on my website and Flickr (website needs to be updated urgently!). As for the outfits and wigs there is only chaos. I have stored that in every free drawer and dollbox available. But I always find what I'm looking for :)

I love to look at them all the time, change their outfits, sometimes changing their whole style and take pictures. Some of my dolls get more attention, but I love them all!

I can buy almost every outfit I love - there is always one who can wear it! And it's such a great feeling to have this large group of dolls standing right next to the place I use most of my time.

I own 47 dolls at the moment, some on layaway and some floating heads. 20 large, 13 mini, 14 tinies, 10 heads. I think a large collection depends on the free space. If the space is tiny (like mine, I only got one room for them, and the dolls are surrounding my computer desk incl. shelf) about 10 would be a large collection.

19. How did you end up with a large collection?

Almost since day one I have wanted a large collection. Whenever I see someone with more dolls, especially those with 30, 45, 50 dolls, and I have seen posts by people like this, I am so jealous. Always have been. Especially those with a large number of larger dolls. I love the big ones, having one 90cm myself and a couple more ideas for other 80 or 90cm dolls planned out. So when I see large collections of large dolls I am super jealous! But even the hordes of tinies makes me jealous, cause its to much cute not to be!

Generally, I adore them all, and it is a happy feeling. Unfortunately my mother, whom means a lot to me and for various reasons I still live with (I pay rent though, so I'm a good girl lol) is not to supportive of my hobby and doesn't like the dolls. So I do feel a bit guilty at times because I know she doesn't like them and it makes me feel bad. Also my girlfriend doesn't have the ability to have everything she wants so when I can get a doll I want I feel just horrible. I'm excited about it and want to share but at the same time I feel so bad. Same with some friends I have who only have one or two for lack of funds. I'm that kid of person though.

Ahhh well I have a book I'm filling in with everyone's names and profiles. To help me remember everyone. All of them are on my bookshelf so I can see and recount them, which I do often so I can remember how many I have. (16, counting floating heads, and a couple of dolls that aren't on topic on DoA, if I add in my reborn that makes 17 XD but I usually don't count him )

I sorta go with "Oh I feel like giving Bernard a photo shoot today" or "Well I got some Halloween stuff so its Pumpkin's turn" or "Poor Charls needs a photoshoot, lets play with him today" kinda deal. I do have a clear favorite, so I handle him a little more. I will say I don't like them all equally, but I wouldn't dream of selling them.

The diversity, and just the massive amount of pretty. Everyone is so different and I like so many things that I need many many MANY dolls to take all of that into consideration.

I guess I have a large collection. Like I said, about 16 dolls, counting two floaters. I think once you go over ten you have a fair sized collection. Over 20 and your reaching extra large. 30 or more is just massive and if you reach 50, your insane (in the best possible way!). One day I want to be insane. XD

20. Interesting questions.

I lost my frickin' mind. I started with just one, who I thought was just the coolest thing ever. I'd never liked dolls before, but there was something about the BJDs that was different. I kept hanging around the doll store, and looking at them online. Ordered a couple here and there, but that wasn't where they mostly came from. The relationship I was in wasn't good, and every time we would fight, he would find a doll online (Ebay or something) and get it for me to make up for fighting. We fought... a lot. I let myself be bought by dolls and put up with an emotionally awful relationship because of resin. Did I mention I lost my frickin' mind?

It was awesome. Though now I find it sad to think that I was so lonely and miserable that it took that many dolls to help me feel anything but depressed. The feeling of acquisition was addictive, and now I sometimes think I recognize it in others in this hobby. I loved every single one of the dolls, but towards the end, it bothered me that I'd traded my life and my heart for resin.

Now, not so much. Then, very. I had a list of every single doll that came into the house: name, type, when they were acquired. And I would take a picture of them as soon as they arrived and put it on my Flickr so I could keep track of them. But not now. Now I only bring them home if they really speak to me, and they generally move into a dollhouse and just become part of the family. No lists needed to remember their names anymore. :)

I keep a blog and use them for photography and story telling on there. I'm involved with dolls every day, whether it's dusting one of their houses or photographing them. They're always around. I live in a house with a bunch of roommates, and it's wonderful. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I like that they can interact with each other in my little world. It's like a little village here. There's a coffee shop where they hang out, and I love that they all have their own little stories and likes and dislikes. With multiple dolls (with so many dolls) I can explore a lot of different personalities and dynamics in my characters. I like that a lot.

Currently, I really don't know how many dolls are here. Probably right around 100 or so. But they're mostly tinies, so in terms of sheer resin-mass I don't really consider that a large collection. The 300 some I had a few years ago, when I'd lost my mind, THAT was a large collection. But I think that "large" or "just right" is something decided by each person individually. Three dolls may feel like a large, overwhelming amount of resin for someone. It just depends on how you play and how you relate to the dolls.

Interesting questions. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's replies. I hope your curiosity was satiated. :)

- Wendy