1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The EYE of the beholder: which way do your dolls eyes face?

Jan 5, 2010

?
  1. Center

2. To the left

3. To the right

4. Looking up

5. Looking down

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I usually center the eyes from a side-to-side orientation, but usually just a bit higher in the socket to cut off the top of the iris by the upper lid, to avoid the headlight look. Then too, since I tend to do a lot of closeup shots in photostories, most will have the eyes just a tad inside of the midline, since that gives them a more focused stare. Purists viewing one of mine straight on from a distance have mentioned it looks a bit cross-eyed, but in photoshoots they are rarely shot flat-frontal, and usually shot in mid- to close-shots anyway.

I've considered shifting eye positions while shooting pics -- but since everyone is free-standing/posing, and I do a lot of pix, I just don't bother. I do like eyes cast to one side in some portrait shots I've seen, but IMO, it can get very tiring very fast in sequences of photos.

2. Most of mine are pretty much centered, however I normally have the head turned slightly off centre.

3. slightly off centered usually but I like playing around with different positions since i'm still new at positioning eyes!

4. I tend to put them facing forwards. Since I haven't taken photos of them, I've never felt the need to move the eyes 'as directed'.

It's also because I see FS posts where the eyes are looking so far top left (our right) that part of the iris gone and looks on the verge of rolling back into the head. Kinda creeps me out. Not to mention painful looking.

5. I do the same. The top of the iris on a human's eye appears to be slightly covered by the top eyelid. Since dolls don't have eyelids and are always in the :o position, I make it look natural with the slight upwards angle of the iris.

6. Hmm O.o My two animal dolls have forward facing eyes, and my fox spirit (Human body with fox ears and tail) has eyes looking slightly to the right (His left). Odd thing is, I think my incoming animal dolls will also have straight-on eyes, and my next planned human doll will have eyes to the right or left XD (My last human doll also had eyes to one side, but I don't have him anymore) It just seems right that way, I don't know what it is.

7. For me it depends on which direction the eye fits best in. :)

8. Depends on the dollie, for me. My Nina has her eyes up and to the left, makes her look all day dreamy with her wide eyes. XD My Mei and B&G both have eyes nearly center, mostly just because it looks better on them. My tobby has downward set eyes, because I find it makes him look like an unbalanced toddler. XD

9. Usually, dead center. But just lately I've preferred to set their eyes off to the side. Couldn't tell you why. Haha, I guess, which ever direction takes my fancy that week.

10. This is an interesting topic. I think I've put dolls' eyes slightly off to the sides for photos before, but I like to have them looking at me most of the time. I tend to feel strange about too much eye white showing, lol

11. Center mostly with the eye slightly "up" to avoid the deer in headlights look. If I put them looking to the side, I'd be frustrated. Look at me! :(

12. It depends on which doll ^_^ Lily's eyes are ma-hoosive, and I find them actually rather hard to place them anything other than center-facing, with some white under the iris. I think it suits her, though, it makes her look like a puppy @w@;

13. I usually put all my dolls (even the non eyehole heads), especially the males, eyes to the side. I think it gives them a more alluring, natural and lifelook look. The girls I do sometimes center to give an innocent look.

Whenever I put them centered, I find that they look a bit more 'dollish' than real. :shrug: But my sister likes some centered and some to the side. ^^

14. Berry House is full of dreamers. I don't like walking into the room and seeing them all staring forward. I tilt their eyes, for the most part, slightly up and to the left. That way they seem to be thinking about something rather than looking lonely. I remember reading somewhere that humans tend to look up and left when daydreaming, so that's what I went on. I do have one that tends to have her eyes looking to the right and down or centered, but she's a dreaming mold so it's hard to tell normally. :)

15. Almost every doll of mine (mostly my Soom boys) have eyes looking up, just cause I love them looking in a sort of raptured mood.
      I don't like a lot centered eyes cause they looks too much "dollish" for me, and the doll looks with no life in photos.
      Of course there are exceptions ^^

16. Nika would look more like him if his eyes were to the side, looking abashed, but since he has his right eye covered by his wig, (if he were a real person) he'd more than likely turn his head to see something because of the obstruction rather than look to the side.

Though his eyes are centered, they're moved up a bit to keep him from having that "deer-in-the-headlights" look. XDDD

17. Most of my dolls look straight ahead with the eye centered and the pupil of the eye touching the top eyelid (so slightly up I guess)and then I just change the eye position if needed. A couple of my dolls look up to the left. ^__^
      I love all the different eye positions and how different they make each doll look.

18. Well, for me it sepends on the doll. Either they are center or looking up in most of my dolls. I went ahead and put in center because my Volks ltds still have their eyes hot glued in dead center, so that makes the majority dead center. But, I do like eyes looking up at you. I also do not mind side glances for a photo shoot, but I don't like to keep them that way.

19. At the moment I have everybody set center, because for me that's the most versatile position, but I do have two of them that have been in side-glancing position because that suits their characters. I definitely try to get part of the pupil covered, though, so they don't get that shocked look ^^;. Setting them off to one side can be so expressive, though . . . maa, I need to tweak various eye positions anyways, I'll probably end up with some side-glancers in the near future ^^.

20. While most of my dolls have center facing eyes, a growing number of them have side glancing eyes. It doesn't matter if they're right or left but the sideways look can add a lot of expression to a doll. Some dolls just seem to cry out for eyes like that so their mischievious side can come out.