1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The EYE of the beholder: which way do your dolls eyes face?

Jan 5, 2010

?
  1. Center

2. To the left

3. To the right

4. Looking up

5. Looking down

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. For some reason they're always slightly looking up, but it some in the center and others a bit to the left.. :)

2. Depending on what they are doing in te pictures I take, all of their eyes are positioned in various ways. When I'm not taking pics, some usually keep their eyes to the right, or facing upwards.

3. all of my boys and girls are looking straight ahead - i tried giving my twin boys a slightly different look by putting their eyes in looking to the side once but it wasn't a good look for them. :/

4. Well, I chose to the right because three of my dolls look that way...while two others look to the left and one is looking center, but a bit up.

For me it's a combination of things. I really enjoy the sideglance, it makes my dolls look curious - as if they are trying to catch a glance of something. I found that in photography, if a center looking doll is not looking in the camera there is a higher chance that it may look like they are just staring off somewhere into nothing (though it has a certain atmosphere, too^^). But when a doll is pronouncedly sideglancing then even if it's not staring into the camera it seems like they are scrutinizing something...:sweat

Their personality also plays some role. My more mischevious characters have a more pronounced...sneaky...sideglance. The naive, cute one looks slightly off-centre and more upwards - giving him a dreamy appearance. And the one looking center has a determined, straightforward personality - I've found that light colored eyes looking center/slightly up give off a very determined feel to me :D

And of course the eye type also counts. One of my doll has a slight sideglance, because I can't look at narrow eyed dolls that look center without thinking "oh, that's one sleepy doll". So he's looking to the side to avoid appearing sleepy.

Other than that...I sometimes like to change where my dolls look. If one is looking to the side, they will still do that...just to the other side, and so on. I found that just with repositioning the eyes I find totally new aspects of my dolls (might be because they are not perfectly symmetrical and the other side of their face comes to focus?)

All in all I prefer a sideglance, but if the character (or eyeshape) demands, I do center, too :)

5. I like them looking slightly to the side--either left or right. I often have two dolls posting with each other and sometimes they will be looking at each other. I think they look better that way... as if they are focusing on something and not staring off vacantly.

6. It's interesting to see all the different thoughts behind eye position. For me, I varies, but I like having my boy looking slightly off to the side. Like he's thinking of something, or not wanting to look someone in the eye.

7. They are sightly looking up..since they look boring in the centre.
      Sometime..if the quality of eyes are not so good, such as iris in different position, put them into angle could make it looks okay than deadly centre.

8. mine are center slighty raised to give them that "bedroom eyes" look

9. "Looking up" is the closest to how I like eyes positioned. I like high-set center-facing eyes that look like they have heavy eyelids because only half the pupil is showing. I feel that it is more realistic, gives the doll a bit of an "attitude", and doesn't make them look so creepy and lifeless!

I also just love the "sleepy" look!

10. mine face all different way depending on my mood, usually to one side though ( for the poll i just counted how they are right now to vote though it changes regularily)

11. They're all a little different, although I think they're all looking up and to their left to varying degrees. I tend to change where they're looking a little bit every time I open up their heads.

Having their eyes looking away a little can make them look shy, sneaky, thoughtful.

I don't like putting my doll's eyes dead center of the socket... it always looks very... doll-like to me. Dead, lifeless.
      If you look at human eyes, they generally have the top of their pupils near the upper eyelid, unless they're widening their eyes... kinda gives them a shocked look as well.

I think eye positioning can add a lot of personality and life to a doll. :)

12. I mostly keep my dolls' eyes to the side - right or left, doesn't matter. I find the dead center look a little unsettling at times (lol) and I find it hard to get right, although I have one doll (actually, the one in my icon) who kind of NEEDED a dead center look because of his personality.

I can never get 'upward' right, somehow.

It's nice to be able to change a doll's entire look just by moving their eyes one way or another.

13. I'm a weird inbetween, but put "looking up" as my choice. All of my dolls their eyes are centered, but looking slightly up so I don't get the "dead doll eye stare" that bugs me a LOT with pictures of other dolls. I've noticed with regular human eyes they are not dead center and thus the main reason why the eyes are in the position they are for my dolls.

14. Most of the time, all my boys and girls are looking up.
      I don't like when the eyes are just in the center, they look like dead fish's eyes. It's a strange feeling, and I definitely dislike it! Oo

15. Right now, Dawn's eyes are glancing to the side. I hand-made some doll eyes until my glass ones come in, and the irises of these eyes are rather small for her. Makes her seem a little more 'wide-eyed' I think. So positioning to the side somehow softens it, especially since smack in the middle of her eye is the widest part but at the edges they thin out a bit. But personally, I usually do prefer straight ahead. Once her 'real eyes' come in, they'll definitely be straight ahead.

<3 ali

16. I usually pose my boys eyes to the right side, I think it looks better for him instead of dead center, I like how it makes his eyes stand out a bit more. A more life like appearance in my eyes.
      But that may change when my other boy gets here, they'd probably be facing forwards or slightly up, not sure yet.

17. I have a system - if the character is good-natured, the eyes are facing to the doll's right. If they have evil intentions, they face left. If they are neutral or don't know where their intentions lie, their eyes face forwards and up. I have one blind guy whose eyes are locked in a dead front stare.

18. It depends partly on eye shape and size. The ones with really large eyes I don't set dead center or they get the deer in the headlights look. For them, I set them up slightly -- not to the point where they look like they're rolling their eyes or are about to pass out, just enough that the pupils aren't in the center of the eye.

19. I usually don't like the center focused eyes (my BDF says "the eyes that see the world"), but it suits some of mine. I usually like side glancing, I think it's cuter. Cute is pan ultimate.

20. My dolls had their eyes at the center, but I tried to reposition them
      and I place them somehow on the left and other a little bit upward
      and what d' you know, it looks good on them! :3