1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The EYE of the beholder: which way do your dolls eyes face?

Jan 5, 2010

?
  1. Center

2. To the left

3. To the right

4. Looking up

5. Looking down

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I think that "cross-eye" should be added to that poll! :3nodding

Ryuichi and Ichi's eyes are both slightly cross-eyed, as well as Etsuko, [Ryuichi's twin sister from an RP I'm in] but everyone else I'm a caregiver of looks more or less straight ahead, since I think that it makes their eyes look like they're following you. *goes to read the rest of the thread*

Edit: I'm getting ideas about eye placement now. I might experiment with the heads in the headbasket and see what they look like with their eyes places in different directions! ;)

Ryu

2. I usually make them look right ahead with the eyes slightly pushed upwards so they
      have a relaxed look. (So that a part of the iris is not visible) Even humans who have their
      eyes wide open look a bit odd to me. Like their constantly surprised or creepily staring.
      However, if I find it more fitting to give them a slightly smug/annoyed look (depends if they
      smile or not) I place the eyes so that they look to the side.
      For this reason I'm not fond of high dome.

3. I prefer the center. That's how Emma's eyes were, and will probably remain. Because they're in the center, they can look like they're looking towards the camera when she's turned sideways.

4. YAY! I'm not the only one that thinks of the D&D monster!!;)

I'm experimenting with my basket heads by moving their eyes around, but its somewhat difficult when they don't have bodies yet to get a true feel.:sweat

Ryu

5. Straight and center is my preference since I like tracking eyes there's very rarely need for moving the eyes.

6. It really depends on the doll and the eyes I'm using. Right now, most everyone is looking straight ahead, but in a few cases they're directed upward.

7. I try to avoid photo sessions with a single eye position. I am a big fan of opening the scull and turning the eyes in their sockets according to the expression I want the doll to have at the moment, especially if several dolls interact. It really adds realism to a photostory and life to a portrait. That's why glass eyes with long stems are a godsend to me. ;)

8. I put all my eyes in the center. I tried putting them so it looks like they are looking left or right and didn't like how it looked.

9. My boy Aki tends to seem like his eyes are looking off in another direction when i turn his head even though his eyes are centered. I think his expression and the lighting that seems to 'change' it for me so I dont need to adapt.

10. I haven't changed her eyes yet so she's pretty much looking forward but when I change her eyes I think that I'll have her looking up because I think that looks cute :)

11. I put mine looking straight out - and no moving them to show more white. I just like that look and photographing them like they're looking at me.

12. I wish there was a "no preference" option. I usually start all of my dolls out looking straight forward but I change the position they are looking every so often to give them a 'fresh' look. :roll: Hehe

13. The vast majority of my BJDs look directly forward. A few have a slight side glance one way or the other that I think is cute. Maxim (my DollZone Hong) is the only one who has a definite all-the-way-over side glance, because when his eyes are centered he looks cross eyed!

[​IMG]
      The side glance gives Maxim a baleful glare that most of my other characters dread!​

My DollZone Wing, Ithamar, also looks good with a side glance.

Tadashi, my Volks Tony, is an interesting study in eye positioning. His gaze is usually direct, because I found out that when he glances to the side, he looks horribly guilty! LOL!

Linda S.
      galatia9

14. I seem to set my dolls eyes facing straight forward most of the time. Though, in some cases, I think it depends on the sculpt as much as it does the faceup and the eyelashes/the length of the eyelashes. Even the eyes themselves, depending on their relative depth, along with the depth of the eye well also probably plays a factor.

15. Most of mine look forward/slightly up but I have one with side-glancing eyes. He's got a smaller iris size, and looking straight forward makes him look a bit deer in the headlights.

16. My first doll had her eyes centered, but I didn't like it. So when I put those same eyes in my second doll, I put them up and to the right, so you could see the whites of the eyes under her iris and to the left of her iris. But it didn't look very realistic, so next time, when they each got their own pair of new glass eyes, I put them centered but they were looking to the right. The only part that was white was to the left of the eye, and I think it looks a lot more real.

17. I almost always have my only girl's facing the front, but recently I moved them looking to the side a little! Not sure if it will stay though, probably only temporary.

18. I don't think I will change my doll's eye position much, haha, it seems like that would end badly. But I think I'll mostly keep them straight ahead, even though I've seem some neat pictures with the eyes looking in different directions.

19. I've never actually thought about moving my doll's eyes around... I should try that sometime. I'm sure it brings more life to their character. :)

20. A while back, there was this great tutorial floating around that a user made, of how BJD eye positioning conveys mental or emotional states, and how to do it right... I don't know if anyone still has that link or not, but if they do it would be awesome. EDIT: So I found that post, I'm dumb. Derp.

In the spirit of that, everybody has a way they like their doll's eyes to look. What's yours? Do you like a demure little downcast to the eye, a mischievous upturn? Etc.