1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guide: For new BJD Owners

May 15, 2010

1. I'm a new BJD owner that's done a LOT of research. and would like to share my opinion of my very first experiences and needs while having my first doll.

These are items based on MY opinion and they are in no way an intrusion into what I think you should do with your doll. It's simply a guideline based on my fact findings and experiences gathered from all over to one simple place.

Use them as needed as any tool of knowledge is a credible tool to share. Thanks for viewing.

Now here to start. These items you might want to purchase at the same time of getting a doll, or while waiting for the production process, which can take anywhere from 2-5 months depending on the company.

1.Wig Cap

2.Eye Putty

3.Light Colored clothes

Safekeeping Box

5.Place to store.

6.Magic Eraser

7.Wig Brush

Wig Cap/

Even if the Resin may or may not be UV resistant, one thing all of these materials have in common is staining. I wig of a dark color that you may leave on for a while will stain their head. A wig cap, can come in silicone, or a very light mesh-based cap that will protect their heads from staining. They're relatively inexpensive but they go fast. So try and get one when you have the time and money.

Don't panic if you can't find one asap. Staining won't happen instantly, but you should knock out the worry before you forget. It's easy to get caught in the moment. They range from $2-5 dollars on most reasonable sites depending on their quality.

Eye Putty/

Eye putty is especially mandatory if you plan to experiment with your dolls eyes and feel the need to change them up a bit. It's also something that once you stock up on, it defeats the worry of running out. It's also very cheap and greatly needed. Though try and go for a brand that won't dry-up.

CONT IN NEXT POST:

2. Safe Keeping Box.

[FONT=Tahoma,Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif]For those who have small children or pets, you'll need a place to keep your dolls tiny items, especially if they're 25-45cm tall.[/FONT]

It's also good for the sake of keeping organized, but some people thrive on chaos.

If you feel like being creative, you can find a local craft store like Micheal's and buy a blank wooden box for cheap.
      You can decorate it yourself or leave it blank, just make sure it has a latched so if it falls everything won't tumble too.

A place to call their own./

Along with keeping your doll items safe, they also need a space to lay/sit.

You should NOT keep them some place high, and I know you think that they'll be safe if they have a stand. But in a worse case scenario, say an earthquake, or bumping hard onto their standing place, the higher they are, the harder they fall.

Try and keep them above ground level, just to make sure. Plan where they'll be before they arrive and you cut out the worry of an extremity occurring.

It's also nice to give them a space of their own if you can. If you can't...then you can't. Don't stress over it.
      Our lives are not geared to be perfect for a doll so don't beat yourself up over it.

Wig Brush/

You'll need a wig brush for their little doll hair which brushes tend to range in price from $2-5 USD.

But DON'T use an old one that you have lying around, because we have oils in our hair that might damage the wig. Remember, oil free products are always used for ABJDs'.
      An old Barbie wig might suffice too if you need something for now so don't abandon those barbie materials.

Light Colored Clothing/

Odds are you're probably looking into a million outfits for your new one, but I'll give you a tip that might help you make a decision
      Choose something light and NOT red.

If you're cheap or that payment just took a chunk out of your money, buy something they can wear safely for a while.

Like the wig, clothes will stain the resin too, so If you're stuck between that pretty black outfit or that shiny white one, go for the later. Unless you can afford both. In that case, don't be afraid to make multiple purchases keeping a balance of color.

Magic Eraser/

And finally a nice Magic Eraser.
      Many BJD companies offer some of these on their sites but I bought a Mr .Clean magic eraser from the grocery store that of course needs no chemicals or soap.

Just wet and wipe! This will be needed if your doll ever gets dirty from you touching it or a stain. Also if you want to wipe their face up/makeup you might want one of these.

Don't scrub too hard as to not scratch the resin.

And don't wipe ALL OVER their face, if it gets a stain. You could DEFINITELY wipe off their face UN-intentionally if you do this.

Also you can wipe your doll, but putting them in water could damage the elastic strung inside, making it weaker and less tightly wound.

3. And here are some things to remember and some tips.

*Heat Resistant Synthetic Wigs vs. Normal Synthetic*

Heat resistant wigs are good if you plan to flat iron or curl your
      dolls wig for a certain style or touch up. Some wigs such as Mohair
      might have a mix of heat resistant synthetic and normal so lookout for those
      on some sites.

*What is Mohair?

Mohair is a type of wig composed of fur and
      typically costs less than a synthetic, though it's not
      unpopular. Mohair is suitable for styling without gel
      because the fibers tend to 'take their own shape'

They have a 'dull' look to them with little shine,
      but are good for dolls who are have more of a
      'casual' look. They are also easy to dye and make.

Wig Mist & Shampoo.

Wig spray and Shampoo is necessary if you plan
      on styling or gelling your dolls wig.

Spray is used to prevent static
      from building and is especially
      good if you buy a curly or wavy wig which
      will need the maintenance to prevent
      the build up of static.

Shampoo does just what is said
      and should be used to clean your
      doll appropriately or to remove gel.

Velcro for Wigs.

Companies will also sell Velcro
      to prevent a wig from sliding off
      of a dolls head.
      Even if the wigs size may say it suits
      SD, that doesn't mean that it will
      be a perfect match.

To prevent you from having to sell
      the wig entirely upon discovering it
      doesn't fit, companies made a two
      sized Velcro strip that sticks to your dolls head,
      allowing the two sides to to come together
      to fit the wig in place. They're also relatively
      cheap.

Shipping.

There are many pleasant surprises in the BJD
      world and shipping is NOT one of them.

For an SD(60cm) sized ABJD shipping tends to cost $60-75USD!
      So make sure you count that in the purchase of your first doll.
      Official dealers for your company are a life saver, since the
      short distance allows the shipping to be cheaper.

Though I've only seen killer shipping prices for asian
      doll companies(though they make the dolls so it's hard to avoid)
      you should always see about shipping, especially if the shop is outside
      of your country. So don't go on a shopping spree just yet.

Problem? Research it LAST.

This might sound crazy, but if you obsess over
      what might happen to your doll, odds are
      once it happens you'll have forgotten what to do.

Besides the basic precautions you CAN help, anything
      that might happen to your doll most likely will happen so fast
      you won't have time to prepare at all.

It's better to SEE what you're dealing with first, opposed
      to doing tons on 'problem' research and either 'spook'
      yourself or forget 'what to do, when'.

Once you can actually explain the issue first hand,
      you can help it faster. So basically, wait until you HAVE
      the doll to look up issues about the dOLL in specific, so that
      you have a realistic scale of exactly what's wrong.

So thank you guys for viewing.

I'll be posting some links later once I gather all of the
      best candidates and sites. Take Care:)

4. Uhm..you CAN'T stain your doll by using a magic eraser. You..can't.

5. thank you for all the info :) really helpfull

6. My mistake. I meant SCRATCH.
      Let me change that.

7. Thanks! I hope it helps.

8. Mohair wigs and fake fur wigs aren't always the same thing... "Mohair" *can* be used to describe the fake-fur kind, but it's also used to describe wigs made of real fur, either still on the hide or sewn into wefts and put on a regular fabric cap like synthetic wigs have. (Check out Tinybear's thread in the Marketplace commissions section to see what the real fur kind look like-)

9. Thanks! This will help others SEE the difference right?
      Any info is good info:)

10. It should... "Real" mohair usually has a pretty distinct look, and it's different from most of the fake fur ones.

11. Sure.
      Would you mind if I update the guide with this info?

12. Mohair, in its truest sense, refers to textiles and fibers (thread/yarn) made from the hair/fur of an angora goat.

I believe that--in the world of dolls & bears--this term is often used to describe synthetic materials that are thought to have the look/texture of actual mohair, but people should be aware that wigs (and clothes, for that matter) that are made of genuine mohair will have different reactions to heat & cleaning chemicals than will synthetic fibers.

If you see a wig or garment labeled "mohair", it's wise to confirm whether it's actual mohair, or a synthetic substitute.

ETA:

on second reading, it seems like this part:

refers mostly to wigs that are also commonly called "fur" wigs. These are generally made of a synthetic "fur" plush fabric, and can be almost any color and various lengths are commonly available. Iplehouse, Dollmore, & DOD all sell wigs of this type & call them "Mohair" generally, though Dollmore notes in the product info that it's synthetic materials. From looking at the pictures of the 'Mohair' wigs on the Iple & DOD site, I can say that they appear to also be synthetic, rather than actual mohair.

I checked a few other BJD wig sources, and all the ones listed as "mohair" appeared to be synthetic. It's probably safe to assume that your 'mohair' wig is synthetic unless it's clearly marked as "Genuine Mohair" (and it will probably be a good deal more expensive), but it never hurts to ask to be sure.

In terms of wig care, Volks sells some care supplies on their site, though there may be cheaper substitutes available for some of these products. The hair brush they sell, for example, looks like a big tooth brush, & I don't recommend it for actually brushing or styling doll wigs.

High-quality doll wigs (what is mostly available through ABJD companies) are made of Kanekalon--the same material used for high-quality human wigs. For this material, you'll want a brush with metal bristles, not plastic bristles, & not metal with a plastic tips. Bristles of either of these types can cause static electricity to build up in your wig (which will make them harder to style) and may damage the synthetic fibers that your wig is made from. You can buy a good wig brush here and a smaller pick here. Either are recommended for caring for a BJD wig, though--honestly--I got a wig brush at a human wig shop for less than USD$5.00, and it works just as well.

13. A couple of things:

a) It's...not particularly necessary to stock up on eye putty. It doesn't need to be replaced with every eye change after all.

b) Keeping dolls and/or doll belongings near ground level, if you have small children and/or pets, is a very very bad idea. In fact, it is easily among the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen given on this forum. Ever. I would never even dream of leaving my dolls or their things within easy reach of my child (or, more specifically, my child's grabby friends) or my very curious cat. There are a rather large number of threads down in the Customizing subforum from panicked owners whose pets chewed up their dolls, asking how to fix it; why in the world would you invite that sort of thing? Additionally, cat hair in clothes is not considered an asset if you choose to sell those clothes...especially to the myriad people who are allergic to cats. If you don't have pets or children or clumsy roommates or a tendency to trip over things then fine, leave your dolls wherever you want to. To me, the risk of earthquake is much much lower than the risk of child or pet destroying a collection I sank several thousand dollars into.

c) There is an incredibly extensive thread about how to avoid staining from dark clothing; it's possible and really not that difficult. The excellent Basic Doll Care thread also has some good instructions to follow with regards to this situation...any situation, really. :daisy

14. Hi guys!
      Thanks for all of the extra info.
      Though I want to clear up that this is a small list, and a small guide.
      More of a small reference. I could put the link to
      the extensive thread here if necessary.

And as said these are MY opinions. There just reference to help.
      I'm sure newbies will find what best suits them, but I wanted to make
      a small heads up. :)
      Thanks for sharing, guys.

15. I think it's a good idea, AnnoDomini. I think a lot of these ideas are touched on in other "newbie" threads, but (as far as I know), all of this info isn't aggregated anywhere else.

I do think it's important, though, that an information thread geared towards beginners have information that is as clear and accurate as possible, that was the only reason I added the info I did. :)

16. Three posts' worth of advice isn't really small...:sweat

The problem is that it's...not phrased as your opinions. It's a 'guide', which implies teaching someone what they should do. Guides are around to educate and lead, and that's how you've presented yourself and your opinions here -- as something to advise newbies on what they SHOULD do, not just saying some of the things that worked for you personally. Additionally, it's THE guide -- which to me implies the final word on all these matters, the all-encompassing thing that should be followed.

I recognize that you may have found things that work for you and that's great -- everyone's needs are different. But, well...I've been around here for three years and seen any number of pet- and/or child-related disasters that had to do with dolls being within reach, and I have a hard time seeing a piece of advice given that directly contradicts everything I've seen in my experience, and could potentially cause a great deal of harm if someone follows it and their dog chews up their lovely expensive doll. I mean...maybe you haven't been part of the forum and the hobby long enough to see all these threads but they're definitely there -- browse through the Customization forum, there's still several floating around. :sweat Like I said in my earlier post, if it works for you, that's great. But you have this phrased as gospel-truth that you should not put your dolls up high out of reach (bolded emphasis yours) and, well...that's the point when it stops being your opinion and starts being something else entirely.

Maybe some different phrasing might have helped...? (And it's a General Discussion thread...discussion is going to happen and people will weigh in with their opinions, agreeing or disagreeing. Just the nature of the beast. :))

17. I have to agree with Tez on all counts tbh. Staining from clothes is really not the end of the world or indeed really worthy of a mention since it's not only easily avoided, but we're discussing resin dolls here, not vinyl, so there's no lasting damage done even if it DOES stain.

It's great that you wanna help the newer crop of owners, but perhaps it might be easier to help someone who's already done this in the form of BJDWTF so that all the information is in the one, pretty well known place rather than in here where, as has been mentioned, people will always weigh in with their own experiences.

18. Woohoo, I have all of the above. 8D

Also, if anybody is worrying about brushes, and has/has a child with an American Girl doll, the brushes from that company work wonders for BJD wigs. Though, they're rather big, so it's probably better for MSD or larger sized wigs.

Before my boy arrived, I was fretting over a brush. But, then I found out that I somehow have 3 American Girl brushes. o3o Which is strange, because I only have two dolls from there, and I only remember buying one brush. I mean, one might have come with the hair care kit and I forgot, but I sure as heck didn't buy three. xD

So, now I have one brush for each AG doll and one for Toby. 8'D Problem solved.

19. Thank you so much to everyone in this thread. It's nice to have info in one place. I am currently deciding on which bjd I want to order first. It's nice to know I'll have plenty to do while I wait for her to arrive! lol

20. Yay! Good luck in your search! You might have already seen some of the threads where people discuss whether a first doll should be cheaper, smaller, shorter, taller, more common, less limited, not tanned, etc. (exhibit A [yes, I started that one! :lol:] & exhibit B). The basic info you need to get from these threads is this: your first doll should be one that you love. If it's more expensive, then saving may take longer, but having the doll you really want is going to be much better than buying one you just kind of liked, but was cheaper than the one you actually wanted.

That said, if the doll you really want is one of the "cheaper" ones, then there's no reason to avoid getting that doll, so long as it's the one you really want.

Personally, I think there's enough info on DOA to help most people avoid some of the scarier "beginner mistakes" if you just poke around enough. :)