1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The nomenclature of “face-up”

Oct 28, 2020

1. I was talking with a friend about dolls a week or so ago. They’re not in the hobby, but they were very interested in hearing more about the hobby, which I am always down to talk about!

Anyway, today they messaged me and asked whether the term “face-up” derives from “make-up”. I thought it was an interesting question, and thought I would ask.

TL;DR: Where did “face-up” come from as a term?

2. I'm assuming that yes, faceup did come from the term makeup. You're not putting makeup on a doll though, you're literally putting their face on. Hence, "faceup".

The Wikipedia article always explained it well, I thought:
      "BJD face paint is referred to as a face-up, to note that it's not just make-up, but all the facial features that are painted and customized, including eyebrows, lips and blushing to enhance features."

3. Roflwaffle I didn’t even think of using Wikipedia. That’s interesting, though! I’ll make sure to tell my friend. :aheartbea

4. I think it's a contraction of 'face makeup', I noticed that a lot of asian companies will call it just 'makeup'.

5. I've always heard it was the combination of face and makeup, specifically that even if your doll has a natural "no makeup" look, you still have to paint a face on! I actually have seen one or two faceup artists who have different prices listed for "faceup" and "makeup", the difference being whether the doll has a simple natural look or heavy makeup look, though this doesn't seem to be the norm.

6. I recall in the old days it was originally a term Volks came up with, they were the first company creating BJD, and that's how they listed their dolls coming with factory painted faces. I remember there was a website (can't recall if it was official Volks or not), telling a bit about the history of how Volks began creating BJD, or how the idea came to be (I believe it was mostly about Mikey, the daughter of Volks' president, whose name I can't recall).I don't recall if there was an explanation why they chose the term "face up", or if it was a simple misuse of the langue, or a term they wanted to be used for their face paintings. I remember some companies would use "body brushing," instead of blushing to refer to blushed body services (for the dolls), so I guess it could just be broken English. I don't shop for BJD, so I have no idea of the later term is still used, but I recall finding it funny when I read it for the first time. (:

7. I have wondered where it came from. Volks call it メイク me-i-ku, so yeah makeup.

8. I have no clue as to where the term „Face up“ originates, but I might be able to shed some light on the terms „Body blushing“ vs „body brushing“:
      Being a Hellsing fan I noticed that the name Alucard frequently got translated to Arucard. It seems to be a speciality of the Japanese language and the transferal of Kanjis into „normal“ alphabet writing and basically r and l are often used for each other, as both express a certain similar sound in speaking. It seems to come clear by the context then, for example as Alucard is obviously the reverse for Dracula the version with an l is correct and used in canon material. However if you were looking for merchandise you found quite a lot of stuff using the other version. So I would assume that ‚body brushing‘ is a translation error, albeit a very fitting one. :3nodding: