1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The obsession with beautiful boys?

Feb 16, 2007

1. Slash/yaoi is the one to blame here I guess xD. I also belivethat a lot of companies make pretty boys because they'll sell more than a more manly sculp.

2. I personally think the pretty boy sculpts most of the BJD males have is aesthetically pleasing. I can dress them in anything and it won't look too odd or far-fetched because of how androgynous they look. I can accessorize them any way I want as well. There's a certain freedom in that, and I find that male dolls in general look cooler than females. (There are exceptions though.) However, I am attracted to masculine, manly, and handsome men. Pretty, delicate, and feminine boys hold no attraction for me. But they're nice to look at. :lol:

3. I don't like girl bodies, I don't generally like girl faces, but I love girly clothes, so I have male dolls that are essentially girls. And then I pair them up sometimes, because why not, and I have no girls. =w=

4. Personally I like effeminate men, both in real life, and drawing or portraying them in a story. So when I discovered these dolls they seemed like characters out of my own head. They fit my ideal of male beauty, so I'm mostly wanting to get more androgynous-looking dolls.

As for cross-dressing, that can be viewed as a way to rebuff the rules of binary gender roles. I'm assuming that a lot of people want to play with the gender line. Since a lot of people can't do that in real life, they use their dolls as a tool to express themselves.

5. I've known I like long hair and slender builds on men for years. It's just personal preference. When it comes to male dolls, a lot seem to have the runner's build rather than body builder muscles (or I'm just not looking for the large muscles-entirely possible). Long hair is easy to make happen due to wigs. On the idea that if someone wanted to dress a doll in dresses, they should have gotten a girl, I think that's ridiculous. Clothes don't make the gender. That's like saying if you put a girl doll in pants, you should have gotten a boy. I have one dress that one girl and one boy share. The boy isn't a cross dresser in my story, but the dress looked good on him and, silly as this sounds, he seemed to like it. Neither wears the dress as often now simply because I found clothes for both I like better.

I tend to draw more effeminate men simply because that's the aesthetic I'm attracted to and I think that translates, to a certain point, into dolls.

One thing I've noticed is that hair length tends to define gender, at least with the people I've interacted with, a lot more than clothes. Long hair equals girl (doesn't matter if my doll is sitting on the shelf shirtless and obviously male), and short hair equals boy.

Beautiful boys, or at least the bishie aesthetic, I think is more non-threatening than the overly muscled men. I see body builders and become afraid I might be crushed. I understand that some women are attracted to muscles and that's perfectly valid, just as its valid not to be. It's personal opinion. I think to a certain extent, I'm a bit jealous of beautiful boys since they look more amazing than I ever will and with my dolls, especially Richard (who is on his way).

6. I just like the male form... muscles and long or short hair, or slender and bishie... It's all good...
      [​IMG]10-07-Tedros_1131 by aprilllee, on Flickr

#186 april, Jun 7, 2016
      Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    7. I personally don't care for the "girly boys". I do have some boys who are thin or have long hair, but none have heavy makeup, or wear girly clothes or jewelry (excep Dhani on occasion, but it's like short jean shorts or flowers in his hair, not lolita dresses heels). I don't mind if other people do, and I've seen some who are very pretty, but it just isn't my thing at all. I much prefer the masculine guys.

The boy/boy relationships is another story entirely. I do have several male dolls in relationships with other male dolls, but it's honestly mostly due to a lack of girls! I don't really like having my dolls date each other, I prefer them to date other people's dolls, usually my sister's. And she doesn't own a single girl. In the role play community, finding female characters who want monogamous relationships is also difficult, there are so many more available boys. So really, a lot of mine just came down to the fact that I wanted them to be with a partner, and boys were easier to find.