1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The obsession with beautiful boys?

Feb 16, 2007

1. Ah. This thread is quickly becoming a vent for something unintended, isn't it?

To answer the origional author of this thread, Kiril's character, while not necessarily girly (just gay), IS going to be wearing some things that people may consider as girls' clothes. The reason behind this is because he's in a visual band, and because looking at a man in a dress cheers me up :lol: It's a purely psychic thing, and I don't know why it does, but it does. It's a comfortable zone for me, since most of the men I've grown up around and admire wear "girly" outfits, and look relatively girlish all around.

Also, I'm a sucker for adrogenity ;)

To those who are getting aggitated over what the author has said - there's nothing wrong with wanted to understand the "why's" and the "how's." It's a type of education, an insight into what other people are thinking and why they think things. It's not putting things or people down, and it's not meant to insult anyone.

It might as well be that a person hasn't grown up in a culture where such things are acceptable, yet is open-minded enough to want to understand the whys and hows -- again, education in the making.

For example, I might be talking to someone with blue eyes and later realize they're contacts. Let's say I find their natural eye color very pretty, but want to know why they wear colored contacts to hide such a pretty color. They might answer that it's because they personally don't like their natural eye color, and prefer the blue since they like it better/find it more appealing. It's nothing to get offended about if someone's just trying to understand something uncommon or even semi-incomprehensible to them.

That's my two-cents, and I hope THIS doesn't offend anyone, either. :|

2. It comes with my obsession with certain bands >.> They wears what is normally girl's clothing.

3. agreed, and for this particular topic of cross dressing or gender bending, I have seen at least 3 threads on it just in the last couple of months. I'm a bit baffled as to why the same discussion keeps coming up over and over again. seriously, it's personal taste, there is nothing to "get". if it's not your taste, just accept that other people have different tastes and move on, please. to keep harping on it is not only disconcerting from a doll point of view, it's disconcerting to those of us who have similar themes running through our real lives. the more people act like "ooo this is weird" the less likely i am to want to share on the community.

4. Hee, not a problem at all Zagzagael, Fad was just a term that started popping up a lot, but it didnt feel quite right.

Fancy you should mention Animuses (animii?) X3 my elfdoll is basically mine. X3

5. Very interesting thread! I only have a couple of disjointed observations to add -

While I haven't felt the urge to crossdress my boys (Lol, I never dress feminine myself! Just too clothing-lazy!), I do note that their perfect bodies, in contrast to normal human bulgy, saggy, hairy ones, do seem to inspire all sorts of clothing choices that would never work in the real world (or perhaps outside of a park in Tokyo on Sunday afternoons).

I think for some people who are creatively isolated in real life, the doll provides the vent for styles the owner either couldn't pull off or wouldn't dare pull off in real life, and as such, should be enjoyed. In one respect the question itself, "Why do you crossdress your boys" is at its heart the same question as "Why do you play with dolls". They both assume that what you're doing is a substitution for something not showing up or missing in your human world. BigBrownMutantBullCookies. All creativity is an embellishment of the human world. Skim past the aspects you don't personally endorse or enjoy. Personally, I like the adjective "flamboyant" for a lot of the clothing things I see. It doesn't get used enough these days, and IMO sidesteps the gender thing. After all, "real" men in certain past ages dressed flamboyantly as a matter of course!

And then there's the matter of MSDs in general and minifees in particular. They're more like pixies than people, and I love the extremes in dress people take them to, from total glam and glamorous, to mini-goth, to outrageous imp. There's just no correlate with these dolls in real experience.

Were I more sartorially adventurous, or if it fit the character bios I come up with, (or if I could afford more expensive outfits!), who knows what my boys would try.

If this hobby were indeed predominantly comprised of crossdressers, etc., you'd think that those of us doing what could be construed as minimal or conservative choices would get negative comments. (Hey, how long you gonna keep them in the same pair of jeans?) I wonder why there aren't any threads like "Why do you keep your dolls so close to real-life conventions?" Someone suggested checking out the database threads for a more representative sampling, and I think that's a good suggestion. Not everyone is up to photostories or gallery splashes, and some probably feel that their dolls are so *normal* others wouldn't be interested in them, but will add to the particular sculpt threads. And there are a lot of people who just don't post their dolls at all. Doesn't mean they're not around.

6. Oh, and given the title of this thread. Yes, I am obsessed with beautiful boys, although the definition includes interesting-looking boys and handsome men. That's my personal hardwiring, and the older I get, the less I feel obliged to justify it!

7. Since we've partly ventured into a discussion of cross-dressing, I'll just go ahead and toss out my usual statement about that... Just to get it over with, since you know it's inevitable. :D

Not every boy in a skirt *is* crossdressing. Not every outfit that someone with 21st century Western sensibilities might think of as "girl clothes" really is intended for girls. My crew mostly wear very traditional, Asian period costumes... and not all of those (Particularly the more formal outfits that Kosetsu, Tsung-Li and Tien Jen wear-) involve trousers. Likewise Keirian's 12th century magus' costume, a period monk's robes, or any number of fantasy-inspired costumes.

So, just keep in mind that a male in a skirt and long hair don't necessarily always mean "girly-boy". It may just mean their owner is going for a specific historical or fantasy look, or a traditional male style from a time and a place with different standards than our own. ^_^

The animus point is also interesting... and I'm with Zagzagael that it's something we don't explore very often, in spite of how many of us I suspect it applies to on some level. Friends of mine have joked for over a year now that Harumatsu... my first doll and my favorite among the Turtle House crew... is my familiar. A small projection of some part of myself and my own personality, filtered through the lens of a fairly traditional male point of view.

There's some merit in that observation...

8. well imo, guys can wear skirts, nothing wrong with that, it's just that generaly, human hairy manly legs arent that sexy:eek:
      bjd have perfect legs so why not show it off xD

on topic yes i like pretty boys, it's a matter of taste, i'm sure there are a lot of people like me, but on this forum there are perhaps tons of other doll genres i might not like, the kind of doll you have depends purely on taste imo

9. Okay, 'fad' was not the right word to use. But trends do exist on this board. It is very easy to see that when a good photographer/face-up artist gets a new doll, maybe once unpopular or disliked, and portrays them in a good way, there is suddenly an upsurge of others buying that doll.

People have influence on others. Gay and cross-dressing dolls are not a bad thing. It just have become common in the fandom. So what started these creative trends? Why are people interested in exploring these ideas with their dolls?

General Discussion is to have discussion about the dolls, and inevitably, as we the consumers shape the production and portrayal of these resin beings, there comes discussion about why we make the choices that we do.

While each person's doll is unique, they share traits. There are many gay male dolls. I myself have thought this because people want male dolls, and then wish for them to be involved in relationships, but don't want a female doll/character.

It's natural that people want to know more about others they share a hobby with. I am interested why so many people have male dolls, over females. I myself, love both, and have done so since I became interested in BJDs. I actually thought I was abnormal for this, when I first started reading the board. I don't really like El all that much too.

Taste is personal, but it has roots in the inner and outer social world. And when so many people have very similar dolls, is it not a fair thing to wonder why?

10. Maybe for some people, it started with someone else's dolls. But an interest in beautiful boys tends to span across media. I started noticing manga art of beautiful men; it was so novel because in the West, the ideal man is super macho. Now I like collecting images from photography, manga, American comics, fine art, sculpture, music bands, and also put these ideals in my own drawings. It's only natural that this would transfer over to my dolls, but the dolls were not what started the fascination. You'll notice the same thing in answer after answer: "I love beautiful men in JRock, manga, fine art, history..."

There's a more general interest in the beautiful boy that's common to a lot of women. Now as to why... That's been asked over and over and over in every community and fandom where pretty boys appear, and answers vary considerably. I'm an aesthete, I love beauty, I love visual stimuli. I think beauty lies in grace and fluid lines. I have certain ideals. They happen to fall into the "bishounen" category. That's really it...

11. Hmm... I kind of have a different answer... I have a sort of intersex issue, and rather than agonize over it, I kind of grew to like my feminine-ness. So I don't really like the rules that say 'these clothes are for girls, and these ones are for boys'. I just... wear stuff from both sections... so so does Adrian^.^;. He's as femme as me! And just like that doesn't make -me- a girl, it doesn't make him one, either.

12. That was a beautifully worded answer. People were getting upset by others wanting to know why there was a common aesthetic on the board. They didn't need to be.

I know that I, myself, prefer the androgenous, in both male and female. I like to stretch the common percieved gender beauty. But I don't like men in dresses :sweat

I love beautiful women and men, and I think that comes through in my tastes in dolls. It's interesting to see where others draw their inspiration.

13. Well, I'm a major fan of anime and yaoi, and I'm planning a few crossdressing boys xD So I guess that kinda contributed to it xD But that's just my opinion.
      I think I like crossdressing boys because they're feminine [or, at least, the ones I'm planning are xD]. Manly guys are intimidating for me. So I prefer boys who are a bit more girly, because I can relate to them. ^-^

And I totally agree with keii_chan xD "human hairy manly legs arent that sexy :eek:
      bjd have perfect legs so why not show it off xD"
      BJDs do have perfect legs, neh? :D

14. I personally just think effeminate boys are hot. =3 For real life, I don't like boys wearing make up, but for the dolls a little can bring out their features better.

15. These "psychology" questions are fun to read -- love the diversity of opinions expressed.

In real life I find couples of any combination (girl/boy, boy/boy, girl/girl) "making out" in my presence to be disconcerting. It's kind of like if two people were having some really great looking desssert (chocolate cake?) and didn't bother to offer me any!!

With dolls I don't feel left out (no matter which pairing) because they are made of resin, so to all you BJD "couples" out there, I say "go for it!"

16. I love masculine guys... It's just that they don't exist in BJD form. This is why I'm trying to work on my own sculpt.

17. There are a few ;) try looking at Volks' SD16 boy Yukinojo Sawaragi, any of the newer Iplehouse boys, the new Elfdoll boy, the Latidoll boys, any doll from Bishounen House..there's just so many to choose from now!

18. Nope. None of them are manly enough for me. Too skinny, noses are too small... I'm working on sculpting a chubby male body at the moment, based off a few guys I know, combining their best attributes.:aheartbea It's slow progress, but I think it will pay off.

19. Sometimes I feel a little boring because I have a bunch of boy dolls and they all dress like pretty normal men xD; I think crossdressing and girly boys are more interesting because they have a wider variety of options. It's actually pretty hard for me to find casual male clothes for my boys.
      One thing I really like about the SD13 volks boy body is that it is pretty boxy/manly. I mean, it's not all that muscular or anything, but it gives the impression that it's a man xD;

20. Hey now, I think human hairy manly legs can be pretty sexy! At least, on my man :D :fangirl: :aheartbea :love