1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The state of the market - prices, availibility and trading practices

May 13, 2011

1. I'd say it depends on the brand, style and age of said body. Older or less-popular types are going to be harder to resell, and there's few, if any, people who will be willing to buy them at original retail value.

2. As someone who has been around for a long time now,
      I have to agree 100% with beamlette. It depends, many
      factors will affect resale value. However, from what I have seen
      it is mostly about the popularity of the maker/brand or the sculpt
      (that goes not only for bodies, but for just about everything else
      that is bjd-related). (:

- Enzyme

3. I have to disagree. There are two major factors involved in how much a body is worth secondhand. One is availability, the other is demand. Is it a body that's hard to get new? Is it limited edition? Is it no longer produced? Are there twelve of them currently up for sale?

There are some bodies that everyone wants, and they get snapped up the moment they hit the MP. There are others that sit and sit for months, because they're commonly available bodies and the seller has them priced near-retail. I tend to do a lot of eye-rolling when I see those.

More or less, a commonly available body tends to go for about 75% of its original price. Sometimes less, if there are a lot available, sometimes more, if it's the only one on the MP at a given time and someone really wants it. But definitely don't expect to get your money back in this economy.

4. I would be a little cautious about upgrades though, there might be less people willing to pay a close to original price for a single jointed body like resinsoul, when they could just order it or the new version for the same price. Same goes with minifee bodies, the original b-line always sells for less than the a-line, even though there is only a 10$ difference when originally purchased. The only other thing that I can see afftecting it would be color, tan bodies without heads or green, or yellowed would have a harder time because people have to resin match or dye or sand to get it to fit the head they have planned for it.

5. It might also be affected by thread age; I would think that a seller would lower their price if significant time was passing, and they had no takers.

6. I've sold a body for more than what I originally paid for the whole doll and I've sold a body for 25% of the original price. Although most doll bodies can be sold close to retail price if there's no "upgrade" available (older single joint model VS newer double joint model for example), it depends on demand and supply. If you have a body nobody is interested in, you may have to drop the price a lot before you have a buyer. If you have a discontinued body people are treating like it's the cure for cancer, then you may even make a profit by selling.

7. You'll probably see the most drastic reduction in price for a doll body that is damaged.
      Damage can include but is not limited to: cracks, stains, gouges, breaks, severe yellowing or marbling and missing parts.