1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

They are just dolls, where do you draw the line?

Dec 17, 2010

1. Dolls for me, are really nice decorations and toys. I'm very attached to my dolls, but they will always be an inanimate object.

2. I pretty much agree with everything that's already been said.

Talking to things isn't something I've ever NOT done. I'm an only child and I get bored really easily so I think better when I talk aloud. My computer has a name and I talk to her. I talk to my pets and I talk to my car (who also has a name). It makes complete sense that I would talk to my dolls as well.

But dolls are dolls and do not come before my family, friends, and responsibilities. A few people have commented on the fact that some people say "But my doll DEMANDED that I get this." While I understand saying that in context of the character, had he or she been real, demanding it I always hope that these people don't put their character's demands before their own responsibilities.

As I side note, I ran into some financial difficulty earlier this year (graphic design student means hefty printing and material costs on top of regular school fees) and I made the decision to sell one of my dolls. While I was sad to see her go, real life comes before play time. I can always buy her again if I want.

3. I don't think you're weird either! Using my previous example, I could toss my favorite, 20-year-old teddy bear across the room and watch it land in a heap. It's just a stuffed animal. It doesn't even look human, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any feelings. However, that doesn't mean I don't feel bad for mistreating something I care about.

4. What is your general feeling of having your doll nude, does it highly offend you or do you feel it's just a doll it is not a big deal?

Leaving a naked doll lying around feels like neglect to me. But when I am making a new costume for a doll and need to keep trying it on them, I do let the doll remain naked until the costume is finished, although I would cover them up with the costume when I am not working on it.

Where do you draw the line and remember that they are only dolls?

Same as with my pets. For example, one of my guinea pigs is about to undergo a surgery tomorrow. Last night as I was petting her, I said, "You'll be going under the knife soon." My roommate immediately said, "Shhhh, don't let her know that, you'll scare her." My reply was, "She doesn't understand human language."

5. I collect dolls because they're pretty, I like to paint them and sew for them, and take photos or do photostories. I've never felt the urge to talk to them or treat them like a person and I've never understood the appeal. I'd rather have my dolls be dressed in nice outfits since they look much better but if all I have is crappy clothes, then nudity would be preferable. They do have beautiful bodies after all. I've never been uncomfortable with nude dolls, sculptures, paintings, etc...

6. I never forget that my girls are dolls, however I do like to bring out their characters like they are real people sometimes. As far as the nudity goes, I take a lot of tasteful nudes of them, I don't really care they are art to me :)

7. Animals are different. I've heard numerous tales of folks talking to their dogs, cats and other domesticated critters like they'd talk to a human and they clearly understand. Had my own experiences too.

I do hate for my dolls to arrive and my not have clothes and hair for them, but that goes for pretty much any figural collectible I have. They just seem unfinished without. Bears, otoh, can hang out nekkid. :)

Like others, I talk outloud much of them time. I also grew up like an only child (my sister is 14 years older), so lots of talking to dolls and imaginary playmates. I talk the computer, the TV. The bjd I talk to a bit more than my other collectibles probably because he requires more stuff. The other dolls pretty much come as is. But since bjd can have clothes changes and other accessories bought, I sometimes ask his opinion. LOL I think it's more my way to getting a feel for what looks good to me vs what would actually work best with his persona.

8. My doll is currently hanging around naked...I just blushed her body and don't want to put clothes on it til I'm 100% sure the sealant is dry. Also, Iple girls just look so darn good naked. I hate to put clothes on her, lol. And naturally my fiance doesn't mind. So until I make something new for her, she's just going to stand around looking good. I talk to everything inanimate (and I'm the oldest of four), except the TV, when it's on anyway. My computer has a name, my xbox has a name, my stupid sewing machine has a name... I talk with my cats constantly; as an off-topic note, I'd venture to say animals understand a great deal more than we give them credit for; whether it's actual language or just empathy they get I don't know. Dolls aren't that far of a stretch for me. I joke that as long as I don't hear anything talking back to me I'm okay; I'm not crazy yet.

9. My Marc is nekkid. O_O I feel so bad for not having anything ready for him to wear. BUT...he is my first doll...and I needed him to be home before I could make things.

I see Marc as a wonderful focus for my creative energies. It is also comforting to have something to work for, as I can't have a pet. I highly doubt my Grandmas' cats would sit for outfits, let alone wear them. >_>
      It helps to distract me from my frustrations, by doing something positive. Rather then wallowing about in negativity.

It's also a wonderful conversation piece. XD~!

10. I really love my dolls. I have been collecting dolls in general since I was 3 years old. I always talk to things. Dolls, pets, plants, the house (ow you stupid house! When I run into a wall) I say things like: Oh he just had to have that jacket, he is so spoiled! Or if I drop him again he will pack his bags and move out! But it is all in fun. I know the dolls are just dolls. My daughter always kids me and asks which doll I would grab in a fire and I always say my Mecha Angel because he cost the most! In reality kids and pets would be the only things I would rescue in a situation. I don't mind leaving my dolls nude if I am waiting on an outfit but I don't take them out in public that way because someone might be offended. I do put jackets on them when it's cold mostly because it looks good but also it makes me cold looking at them! I love them to pieces and they are great fun but still only dolls. JMO.

11. The dolls are what they are to me -- dolls. I have purchased them and they are whatever I make them, per se. They are beautiful and may have a back story and their face may give off a certain personality, but this is because they were made by humans who created them this way. They're just dolls to me.

12. When do you stop to realize they are just dolls?

All of the time? My dolls are very dear sentimental possessions, but they're not alive or my friends or anything of the sort. They have characters that I have given them thanks to the power of my imagination, and any sort of personality they have is strictly from me.

What is your general feeling of having your doll nude, does it highly offend you or do you feel it's just a doll it is not a big deal?

I have no issues with my dolls being nude. I rather like the way they look naked, and while I keep them boxed most of the time, they are always stored naked in their boxes and if I do leave them out there is a high likelihood they are going to be naked. I honestly only own 1 pair of panties amongst all of my larger dolls. It's just not something I really care much about covering up. I don't feel dirty about it, or think they get offended. They have no opinion. And really, I also collect anime PVC figures, if someone is going to bitch about nudity in my house it's going to be about those and since it's my house and my stuff, you don't like it, you can leave.

Do you talk to your dolls when it isn't play time?

I often talk/yell at my dolls while handling or photographing them, but that's how I am about a lot of things. I am rather talkative lol. I do spend more time talking at my computer and my car than the dolls usually because complex machines are always out to give you grey hairs.

13. When do you stop to realize they are just dolls?

I've never had to catch myself to remind myself it's just a doll except when the tension on the strings has made one of them move their joints on their own. ^-^

What is your general feeling of having your doll nude, does it highly offend you or do you feel it's just a doll it is not a big deal?

I feel safer if they are nude, in the off chance the clothing stains them, even after being treated. I'll get them dressed and ready before meet-ups, and photoshoots, but otherwise it's naked time, all the time. They stay in a bag, though, when I'm not messing with them-- the dog eats everything and the cat likes to chew on things, though not actually eat it.

Do you talk to your dolls when it isn't play time?

I don't. I don't even talk to them when I'm doing stuff with them, though I will silently imagine their conversations some of the time. It's not that I think it's crazy to talk to inanimate objects, but I never really spoke to my toys aloud when I was a kid, everything was just imagined, so it's the same now that I'm an adult.

14. I know my dolls are just dolls. And a good half of them still sit around naked because I haven't had the time to make them clothes yet. OR I don't know exactly how I want them to dress, so haven't designed anything for them yet. Since Halloween, they've been sitting packed away in a box, unless I need to pull one out for something specific. They got put away so I wouldn't risk them getting hurt/damaged Halloween weekend when we had people in and out of the house all weekend, with high energy levels (hey, it's a favorite holiday for us, and the people we had in and out...so I was aware that someone COULD fall off their shelf, and get damaged without anyone noticing right away) and haven't unpacked them because we're moving next month, so it made more sense to leave them packed up until we move.

I name all of them, as they are all characters of mine, my husband's, or friends', that go in stories together. I talk to them (but I have always talked to inanimate objects) when I'm working with them, and when I'm not. When making posts about them in the dolly community, or in e-mails to dolly friends, I often have the doll being talked about 'say' something on the matter...sometimes others 'chime in' too. But I do that when I'm talking with people about the characters, too, when not even discussing their 'dolly forms'. It's because I can hear how the characters would respond to something, in my head. It's part of the storytelling with them. Knowing what they would do or say. And it's fun to add that in when involved in online 'play' with/about them.

I always find it odd when people talk about neglecting a doll, and it needing a better, more loving home, because they haven't played with it in a while. It's not a child, or a pet, who needs attention daily. I always think 'but it's just a doll. What's WRONG with it sitting on a shelf or in it's box for months at a time?' Just like I think it's odd when people say they are limiting their collections so that they can be fair in giving all their dolls even attention and time, because if they have more than a certain number they find that some dolls get 'ignored' for long periods of time. Not that I'm saying that those people are wrong in how they view their hobby. It's just a way of looking at it that I don't understand and think is odd. Mostly because my dolls spend MOST of their time totally ignored, waiting until I have the TIME to play with, or work on, one of them.

That said, however...I DO get a REALLY strong emotional attachment to inanimate objects. And once I'm attached to something, I have a REALLY hard time letting go of it. Dolls are among the items I have the HARDEST time with. Which is also part of why I have no fear of modding my dolls to get them how I want them. I get so attached that I won't get rid of them. I've had a few times where I THOUGHT about selling one or more of my current crew. When we've needed money, or I found another doll I really wanted. But in the end...I just can't go through with it. The closest I've ever come was giving a doll to my sister when I could no longer look at the poor thing. But that was an extreme circumstance, and not likely to happen again. So while I KNOW they are just dolls, and my family and pets come first, along with the bills, house payment, and all that fun stuff, I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon, if ever. A choice between my family, pets, and dolls is obvious. My family come first, pets second, dolls third. I may have a LOT of dolly plans, but in times like my family is in now, they're JUST plans, wishes for the future when things are better. I look, I want, but I don't hit that 'buy' button without the OK of my husband. Be it a new doll, or something for a doll I already have. I have so little time for my dolls because MOST of my time is spent with my kids and husband. I love getting a few free hours, or a full free day (once in a blue moon, I even get a full free weekend) to work on and play with my dolls, but I don't choose that at the expense of those in my life who need the attention and time.

15. Hm, I have to say that my two dolls are more than simply dolls, to me. I'm one of those who believe that inanimate objects can posssess a soul, and I feel that my two dolls possess a soul. I treat them with respect, but at the same time, I'm aware of the fact that their doll bodies allow them to do things that humans can not. For example, I found this really nice bag, a camera bag, for my everyday bag. I was able to make a space in between my wallet and my sunglass case for Kyouko. In order for her to fit into it, just right, she has to fold herself up in a way that can be awkward. Since we both know that this is currently the safest, most efficient, and most effective way for me to carry her around, we're both pretty cool about it. When it comes to dressing and undressing her in public, well... I'm actually not exactly sure whether it's appropriate, not so much because Kyouko would mind, but because of the fact that she's anatomically correct, and others who may see may actually take offense by the sight of nude resin/vinyl body. The last thing I want is someone accusing me of being a pervert, simply because I wanted to straighten her clothing up, or something. On Kyouko's part... she seems to really like her body, so she doesn't seem to mind showing it off. Her boyfriend, Adlewyrchiad, however, seems to like being covered up. :D

If something should happen to damage my dolls, well, it would definitely upset me. But my beliefs are remarkably flexible. If I had to replace my dollies, I know that the original soul wouldn't be lost. Rather, it would simply house itself in its new shell, as it knows its original was ruined beyond repair. Ah, such is the convenience of being a doll!

I do spend a lot of time talking to my dolls throughout the day. I'll bring Kyouko with me when I go out and about, mostly for comfort and as a coping mechanism, as I'm in constant pain due to some issue that has yet to be diagnosed, and I am not permitted to take any pain medications, as the doctors are still unsure as to what is going on with my liver and/or gall bladder. But she's also my artistic muse, so if there's a beautiful piece of landscaping, I may want to snap her picture with that landscape in the background, or if I'm waiting for something, like a doctor's appointment, I can spend some time sketching her, as her face and body lends itself to perfecting my manga-style artwork. (I'd bring Adlewyrchiad, but he's a little too big for me to easily carry him about town. So I leave my studies of the male bishounen for when I'm at home and in front of my drawing table.)

Hm... so where do I draw the line? Well, I certainly wouldn't harm myself for the sake of my dolls. For example, I wouldn't starve myself for several days just to get them that special dolly item that they really seem to crave. Whatever is in my budget is within my budget. If it's outside my budget, then they'll simply have to do without, or wait until I've finally saved up the money, over time, to buy them that special thing, or settle for a more affordable compromise. My life doesn't revolve around my dolls, nor should it. I need to make sure my real life is in order. My real life relationships with my husband, family, and friends need to be maintained. My social life, in general, needs to be maintained. I have a myriad of other hobbies and projects that I would like to see completed. I need to ensure I'm doing well in school, and once I get my teaching credentials, I need to ensure that I'm doing everything I can to be the best mathematics teacher that I can be. So, while I like the idea of integrating my dolls into my life, I will not allow them to TAKE OVER my life, if you can see the difference?

16. It's kind of fuzzy... On the one hand, of course I don't believe my doll has a soul, and of course I know he's just sculpted resin (albeit beautifully so), but then I watch one of the Toy Story films and I feel like I have to give him a cuddle and promise not to forget about or replace him... what can I say, I'm a softie when it comes to that stuff. I'm not delusional, but I am very sentimental about toys, because I grew up without very many human friends. When I was a kid, having a strong emotional bond with a toy kept me from being lonely all the time, and I can't help remembering those feelings now.

I kind of feel a little hurt when other collectors (not just on this forum, but toy and doll collectors in general) have the 'well, they're not real, I think it's crazy to talk to them/talk about them like they're real' attitude. It's a valid attitude to have, but there's a difference between someone having a disconnect from reality and someone being playful. Hanging out with someone who's dead serious about hearing voices from an inanimate object? A little creepy. Someone who says an off-hand 'now he/she's asking for a boyfriend/girlfriend/guitar/dress/motorcycle' is just having fun with their hobby. And if the doll has a definite character that they embody, it makes even more sense for the owner to talk about them like a person, because when you write, you're (hopefully!) creating a fully-fleshed fictional person, and when you style a doll to represent that character, the doll stops being just a hunk of resin (at least until the so-inclined owner re-shells or retires them). I try not to get butthurt over it, but I always wonder how someone who collects dolls/toys can be such a 'stop having fun, guys' person when someone gets strident on the 'they're not real!' issue.

I've got no problem with dolly nudity-- Vince sits around naked if I'm working on clothes for him and he's between fittings, he has no shame. But, I live in a house with people, and while those people are adults who don't have problems with silly things like that, I just prefer to keep him decent most of the time. After all, he's got pants-- in fact, now he's got two light-coloured pairs of pants so that I don't have to just leave him in his 'modesty leggings' to avoid staining from the black pants. It's pretty easy to keep him clothed if he's going to be out of his box.

=^__^=
      Anneko

17. They are just dolls, really nice overly expensive adult toys and that is all they are. They are not real, they cannot be neglected or abused, they are not real life human kids. They are a wonderful outlet, for sewing and other kinds of needlework, prop manufacture, photography and fantasy. That is all they are and I love them for it

18. My line is very fuzzy. I know that my trio are "just" dolls, but I'm very superstitious. I believe in luck and curses and omens. I feel that my dolls are good luck for me, and I like to have them nearby. On the other hand, I know that my dolls' personalities come from my imagination, and I don't think they'll ever say a word to me.

19. I remember foremost that they are dolls and that is a big part of how I enjoy them. Remembering that foremost also helps remind me to be gentle with them, which if I thought of them more as pets or friends I would probably be rougher. I guess I handle them like I handle original old photographs, very gently because there is a sentimentality to them as items and because I know they are hard to replace. I specially remember they're dolls when I strip them down - remove the eyes, wig, clothes. Maybe restring them, assembling and reassembling just kind of screams 'toy' to my mind and that's not a bad thing at all to me, I love my toys! :)

20. Oh, ok. Thanks for explaining!:)