1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you said you wouldn't do but did anyway.

Nov 19, 2013

1. Not sure if this thread already exists but the wording is somewhat vague so the search came up with nothing.

Anyway, what doll related things have you found yourself doing that you said you wouldn't?

For me when I ordered my first doll I told myself that for the price I was paying I wasn't going to get anything smaller than SD size. My first doll is an Island Doll Amy in SD size (she's gorgeous) and her name is Clara.
      My second doll is a Magic Time Draculria called Beatrice, a YO-SD...so clearly I pretty much ignored what I said I wasn't going to do.

I suppose for me ordering a large doll made sense because I didn't know if I was going to stick to the doll hobby and I wanted something substantial for my money. Even then spending £300 on a doll was hard but when I spent £175 on Beatrice I was totally fine with it, the price no longer bothered me because I knew what I was getting was extraordinary.

I also have on order 4 MSD sized dolls.

The second thing I said I wouldn't do was get anything bigger than 60cms. I'm a tiny person (five foot one and very slender) so didn't want to be hauling around something too heavy.

I've ordered three dolls that all stand around 66cms.

I wasn't going to order fantasy style creatures...don't ask me why I'm not even sure why myself, I love fantasy, heck I'm writing a fantasy novel.

One of the MSD's is Impldoll Moon and she has horns and cute fantasy ears. I mean sure the rest of the body is human looking but again, she's definitely not human.

Also Beatrice, a vampire with gorgeous long pointy elf ears.

Apparently I'm very bad at keeping my word.

I find it amazing how much has changed from day one to less than a year later buying different styles I thought I wouldn't buy.

So what about the rest of you? Did your doll plans change drastically?

2. At one point, I never thought I would get a YO sized doll. I thought they were too childish and too much like baby dolls. Seems Soom managed to change my mind on that one as I now have four and would like to add at least one more if the right boy comes along.

3. Paying beaucoup $$$$$ for a Volks Limited ~sigh~ swore up & down, no no no, at least not the Fullset. Then Ryoma happened....

4. Buying a pre-order doll. XD Did it.

Also said I'd never go for an Anthro...

Then came Pixiu and Elizabeth.

RAAGH DOLLEHS! Y U COST SO MUCH MONEY!?

5. My problem is more that I say that I will do something, but then go back on my own word and change my mind XD. When I ordered my first doll, I was actually saving up to buy a DOT Ducan. He was the first sculpt I fell in love with, but when I decided while I was still saving my money that I wanted another, less expensive doll fro the same company (Kirill) I decided that I was impatient and wanted a doll now. So I bought Kirill just so I didn't have to wait for another $200. I also recently was saving for an SID Eva when I stumbled into a fantastic offer in the marketplace and goodbye savings... She'll still get to my house eventually, it might just be a while...

6. I never thought I'd purchase or be interested in the SD size due to how immense they are in comparison to what I started off with, 12cm was the initial size BJD I started the hobby with - but now 16cm tinies and SDs are my loves. I also never thought I'd want a vampire doll, complete with fangs - and now I have one who I love very much and think she looks more like a kitty or a wolf with teefies than the stereotypical vampire.

If I had told myself back when I started the BJD hobby that I'd at one point end up with lots of SD girls and a vampire, I think I would have looked at myself with disbelief :o But I'm glad I did venture out of what I thought were my limitations on purchases and love those dollies all the more. :aheartbea

7. Buying a limited. I always told myself I'd avoid them due to their low availability and high prices. Then I saw the SD sized Mo from Dollzone...

8. I said I would never buy a second - third - fourth doll but here they all are, I also told myself there would be no fifth but I think that will change next year. Another thing I said I wouldn't do was buy clothes and that I would make them all myself, turns out I'm very lazy and impatient when it comes to sewing.

9. Buy anymore.

I always, always, always say that I won't buy another. And now Luts Dion is staring me in the face, and Iple's got a Christmas event. Why do I even bother?

10. Let's see, I said I would never buy a doll on impulse again, I said I would stop buying heads until I got bodies for the ones I already had, I said I wouldn't buy any more dolls until I saved up at least $600 (I had to promise this to my mom, I didn't have a problem with buying dolls less than $600 before reaching $600), I said I would never get an MSD again after failing to bond with two in a row (dammit wishlist you betrayed me), I said I'd never get any dolls bigger than my 70cm guy (DAMMIT WISHLIST), aaaaand I said I would never go in debt over a doll. (The last one, thank god, has not happened in a very long time, and hopefully never will from now on.)

11. HEADS

Good grief. I forgot. Yeah, I have that problem- it's always, 'NO MORE HEADS TERU. I MEAN IT.' "Yes purse. I promise I won't... now why don't we have a quick browse through the marketplace to say farewell hm?"

12. I told myself I wouldn't fall in love with a second doll while waiting for my first... Well, I'm still waiting on my first and I've fallen for a number of others (at least all for my one OC).

Now I'm stuck wanting a doll that MoC has in stock (or getting her through the event starts in a week or so), and a doll that was is most likely not going to show up after EMS lost the monthly order for MoC that I was in. :|

13. I bought a PukiPuki, although I said that I would loose something this small and wouldn't dare to spend money on it. Haven't lost it (keeping her in my cabinet), so that fear was unwarranted!

And I once said that I'd never get a Volks SDGr body, because I wouldn't have use for it. Well... that was before I started selling my own dolls. It's funny how a business gives you all sorts of new reasons you don't need to buy pretty things <3.

14. Buying a limited anything...I ended up buying and eventually selling a limited head.
      Unnecessary modding...now I'm all the way to the point where I'm trying to get into doing an extensive chest reduction/sanding.
      Actually doing my own doll's face-up...swore I'd buy them all with company face-ups, or send them out to professional-ish face-up artists...but now I'm ordering them all without so I can do my own face-up on them.

15. ...buy girl dolls. I wasn't into girls at all, and though I still adore my boys, I'm glad I now also enjoy owning girl dolls, makes for much more variety, especially in body types :D

16. I never wanted to buy an MSD since the are so tall. Now I own 3 of them, one on the way and to more to be ordered the next days...

17. Told myself I wouldn't buy any more dolls until I had bodies for my floating heads. Then discontinuations happened.

Told myself I wouldn't buy a doll unless I had 100% of the money on hand (i.e. no charging it to CCs). Then discontinuations happened. Gee, I'm seeing a pattern here!

18. I told myself that I would't let them invade my life until I graduated both levels of college that I'm on track for. But then I got Lilium (<3) as a gift, I just got my Alberta, and now I looking for the opportunity to sneak in DC Austin :)

19. said no more dolls... two on order now, sigh!

20. I told my boyfriend that I will not buy the bigger dolls(sd) because he thinks they are creepy. I've already planned my next doll and he's 68cm..haha. My boyfriend doesn't know yet.