1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Those eyes...are we obsessed with beauty?

Sep 14, 2008

1. A good point shasta, it is a rather odd thing, to base our doll choices off looks doesnt it? But i think that because when we are looking for a doll, we latch onto the first thing that we can associate to, which is of course how they stimualte us visually upon that first mouse click onto thier picture.
      We make our choices about our dolls later i fell, true a doll may be pretty when we buy them but we make them ours when we bond with them and in some cases develop thier personalities, i suppose it is a kind of reverse inner beauty

2. I used to think I was all about their face but after chosing Lupin over Spinel I know I'm not so much into the perfect look as I am the perfect look for the character.

3. I think everyone is obsessed with beauty, and all are beautiul ^^

4. To me, beauty is only made through imperfection. What can be found to be the most incapacitating imperfections often only impact the outer beauty of the person. My boy is filled with small, and some large impurities that make him what I consider absolute beauty. His body slowly as he ages matching his sinning black heart with time. As he slowly repents and tries to bore himself anew he loses more pieces of his outer beauty.

However, I don't think young beauty is actually very attractive. I find it to be foolhardy and ignorant. In comparison, when I find a young looking female doll, who is around 17-24 and then see one more accurately displaying a "Woman" nearer to 30-40 I find myself quite stricken with envy. The essence of sexuality, for me, is not presented by youth, but by experience. Not the girl that could be a playboy bunny because nude she is a vixen, but the one that could give a taunting grin and know men will follow her.

I can see how we are hooked by outer beauty here, but for me, I like flaws more than perfections. When you have flaws, people look for your perfections. When you have perfection, people will look for your flaws.

5. I know I am obsessed with beauty... beauty of all kinds... I think the problem most people have is that they are obsessed with perfect beauty... I don't know. That may be obvious...

6. I think everyone want to be pretty, and beauty is mesmerizing so it draws your interest.
      There is a little Gollum in all of us! XD

7. It's simple in my opinion, people are more attracted to beautiful then ugly. Now, this all depends on that person's individual tastes on what is beautiful and what is ugly. I know I certainly have wierd tastes. Although when you get something that is so beautiful, like a picture perfect Hollywood celebrity or a doll that is just so unearthly beautiful it's almost like a hallow kind of beauty. I honestly think that's why I prefer male dolls over girls, girl bjd's are just so....perfect.

8. There's nothing wrong with with admiring beauty, so long as we are not obssessed with it, or exclusively love aesthetic beauty in people. A good way of seeing it - which I find, at least - is that beauty is a blessing (I believe, from God). I never used to think this way until a few weeks ago, when it hit me as I read the book of Esther, in the Bible. Since then I've had a different perspective on beauty. Admiring beauty in people - and in objects, which our dolls are - is perfectly fine, but we must make sure that we don't make that the most important thing in our minds.

As for character, my dolls generally have all the good qualities of humans and none of their bad ones - they're honourable, kind, sensitive, brave etc. A part of the reason I collect dolls is because they offer an escape from the cruelty and other horrible aspects of mankind (which we know can be pretty nasty, to say the least), so my dorries are beautiful - both outside, and "within". :)

9. Well there is an assumption going on that all people buy these dolls for their looks or faces only .

Like orangey said there is no inner beauty to a lamp because it is not alive. The dolls may have an inner beauty , its what the owner gives them a personality .

10. Loving and valuing a doll for its looks is not something I feel badly about. We are all taught not to love and value other human beings based solely on their beauty (or lack of) but I don't think that same lesson applies to dolls.

In spite of the fact that most doll lovers like to ascribe some human attributes to their dollies, we are all aware that they are NOT human so there's not really a need to reconcile why we love them for their physical beauty.

11. The dolls are things we like, and as humans generally like beautiful things, we like beautiful dolls. We don't need to think about beauty being a playing card or those who have no beauty being reviled because in 'dolly world,' theres really nothing more than getting the doll you like, making it look the way you like, and giving it the personality you like. Think about it. There is nothing further than the material beauty of these items; they are nothing more than pretty things. Go ahead and get a scarred doll, or an ugly sculpt, if you can find one, and claim that you like it because of its golden heart. Will it make it anything more than a doll? Nope. We justify liking these dolls for their beauty because it is a basic human instinct to be drawn towards beauty, and to glorify it. It doesn't make a good person any better or a bad person any worse, and it certainly doesn't make you look bad just because you like a pretty thing. There is beauty also in imperfection with these dolls, which is why people paint scars on their dolls' faces and bodies. Some people don't want them to be wholly beautiful, which makes them even MORE beautiful. If you really scrutinize it, dolls are very shallow objects. So if you have trouble for liking things only because they're beautiful with no extraordinary or redeeming traits, then maybe you shouldn't be into these dolls. That is all they really are, after all--beautiful objects, made for the sake of being beautiful. Nothing more.

12. if it wasnt something you wanted why would you buy it? There is no sense in buying a sweater you hate just because you hate it. there is no point proven or lesson learned. You just waste your money on something you dont want and dont need verses buying something you want and dont need.

If you want to look at it from a moral perspective, God made the world beautiful but diseases in the mothers womb cause babies to have imperfect faces and bodies. The person is no less a person but its in our nature to love beautiful things because that is the way God intended things to be.

13. I think this is more "journal community" material.
      I'm getting that you're asking why we rely on beauty as a factor more than personality?

14. I get your point, because beauty is not how one should measure a person's "worth" or anything like that. But that doesn't mean that we can't enjoy beauty, right? :3

I mean, just like food xD We eat it because we need it, it's healthy and nutricious... but it also tastes good :3 and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the taste ^_^

Let's say these dolls... are simply taste, simply beauty to be enjoyed. I don't think that is a problem at all :3

15. even though we may try our hardest to love first what is on the inside, we tend to get caught in the outside. As human we like beautiful things. When we see them they normally make us happy. When you look at your doll it makes you happy, not just because of the outer beauty, but also the inner beauty which comes from the doll parent. So essentially the beautiful little doll we so lovingly take care of is an extension of our own inner beauty.
      :)

16. I see no problem reconciling my attraction to the beauty of these dolls with the way I value people. It's apples & oranges. With people there's an entire inner life to love & I value that far more any physical perfection. Sure, I'll look at attractive people but my idea of beauty is a little out of the norm so it's generally not the young, model types that I'm drawn to anyway.

As for the dolls they're like a piece of art to me. Again, I often find myself drawn to ones that are other than just a pretty face. In fact I sold several dolls because they were simply pretty with no underlying character or emotion to their faces.

We each have our own ideas of what constitutes beauty. And there's nothing wrong with indulging yourself in objects that have a pleasing appearance to you. People are a completely different matter & if someone's main consideration is the appearance of their friends, well, I, for one, find that rather shallow.

17. Recommended dosage of grain of salt for this post: 1 1/2

This is interesting. Can one compare the beauty of a doll to the beauty of a person?

There is certainly beauty in nature, beauty in art, and beauty in people. I don't think the dolls necessarily feed on that superficial kind of beauty, in my opinion, because dolls aren't human enough to rightly emulate those things that could be called superficial. For instance, if someone with the same look as one of the dolls right down to the scale and ratios came walking up in full size they might be, well, seen as not beautiful to society. They'd be seen as rather odd.

Beauty is such an individual thing. And seeing beauty in something, no matter surface beauty or not, is an act of appreciation and reflection and acceptance in your own beauty.

What we see in others is what is in ourselves. So if we pick a doll that expresses our own inner beauty we ARE connecting with ourselves. Just the same as if we picked a painting that spoke that same beauty to us.

If you really want to get "new-agey," think of dolls as an expression of the love we are able to give to others. We basically let all of our love and adoration in our dolls and they are a receptacle of love. They can do nothing else but accept our love. Firstly, what a model to follow. Secondly, what a teacher that they can teach us to love so unconditionally.

You're completely valid in your concerns. These dolls can reflect an unattainable beauty in humans sometimes. But I think that they won't restrain your ability to see inner beauty and might even amplify it.

18. Definitely.

Though, haven't we always been obsessed with the way we look? Even more so, it's obvious how obsessed we are. Injecting are behinds into our face, sucking the fat from our bodies the moment we save enough. We rather starve ourselves then, eat healthy. Rather workout and lose weight the hard way, then have surgery for it. When did surgery become okay?

I do believe the dolls only promote our obsession, but also lessen it. We now have an output for our need to be beautiful. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on ourselves, we'll push it into a doll. A doll we'll know will always be beautiful. A doll will not wilt with time, will not receive wrinkles. A doll will always be flawless. We are our own worst enemy.

19. It's human nature to love beautiful things... noone can say they like ugly things. Also, there's nothing shallow about beauty. If you look closely, the most beautiful things were not made by human hands.

I think it's near impossible not to take physical attractiveness into account when you interact with others (unless you're blind). Statistically, beautiful people have more caring parents, more friends, are looked after better by teachers and mentors, get better jobs, and generally have a great life and get to live it longer, too.

Thing is, people don't wear their souls on their sleeves, so to speak... from the moment we first open our eyes, the first thing we see when we meet others is their face, and we obtain first impressions largely from their attractiveness and treat them accordingly. If a person were ugly as sin, your immediate reaction would most probably be "NO!! Get away from me!! I don't want to be seen with you, let alone know your deeper self...". Ultimately the person may save his/her image by showing other attractive traits (e.g kindness, loyalty, honesty) but that's only if others manage to get over the fact of his/her ugliness.

The way we treat inanimate objects are a different matter altogether. Because dolls don't have souls or personalities that they can actively communicate, the degree of attachment we have to it solely depends on its physical traits. Ergo, just because you like dolls for its beauty doesn't mean you like people for their physical attractiveness only. Peace.

20. ''Some tame gazelle, or some gentle dove: / Something to love, oh, something to love.''
      So says the barely known (for a reason) British poet Thomas Haynes Bayly. Isn't that what they are - something to hold our love, from whatever crooked, strange or remarkable hearts we love with?