1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Those eyes...are we obsessed with beauty?

Sep 14, 2008

1. I definitely think that inner beauty is more important than physical beauty, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong to appreciate physical beauty. Also, art is something that comes from a person's heart and soul, and to me is a representation of the artist's inner beauty. Everything on this earth is flawed, yet if you look with love, you can find beauty in everything. I don't think there is anything to reconcile here, it's just a matter of your attitude.^_^

2. Since dolls don't have inner beauty (although some of them have so much expression, you think they just might) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Society and our upbring has determined beauty for us. We can only accept that or redefine it for ourselves!

3. Being a heterosexual male who likes female dolls, I feel these issues hit me twice as much. I like my dolls cute and beautiful, but what does that say about my views on women? Does it say anything at all? Does it make me shallow?

I don't really have any answers for those questions. I just know that I like my dolls and how I like them to be. If a doll isn't physically attractive to me, I'm not interested in her.

Still, I cringe at stories of other types of dolls where people will just throw away the (usually cheap) dolls and keep the outfits. I feel sorry for the dolls, no matter what type of doll they are, that they're being discarded. I might not like them, but I have an appreciation for them because somebody could have loved them.

I guess my views on how dolls can be loved and cared for makes me a bit less shallow since I can see beyond their looks a little bit, but that only goes so far. I still don't want to have anything to do with those dolls.

Speaking of loving dolls, I do love my dolls. Well, I don't love them just because they're pretty. It's because I put so much care into them that I end up putting so much love into them, too. There's a history and an attachment that turns into a bond. Lots of people bond with their dolls, so I think we all understand this in some way.

Perhaps the bottom line is that we operate purely on looks at first, but our relationships with our dolls mature into something that goes beyond looks. At least, that's how I think I am.

4. I think for most people who have fallen for them is because of their amazing physical form. Dolls were made as an icon of perfection. But the idea of perfection is not the same to everyone.

5. Lolz, of course we're obsessed with beauty. I think the first human being that says "looks don't matter" is a liar. XDD

Aw man, now I look like a jerk. >.<;

Honestly, it's not anything bad!! I really believe it's human nature. Humans are attracted beauty. BUT- it's individual perception of beauty. I've cruised the internet more times than I care to count and seen quite a few dolls with people leaving comments like, "she's so beautiful!" and "absolutely gorgeous!!" and things like that- and I really... just, didn't like them. Take for instance, DZ Mo and the new Unidoll Kaito. I know plenty of people who have DZ Mo's and absolutely love them and think they're beautiful, but I really... REALLY don't like either of those scuplts. Really. (No offense to Mo owners. XD)

So- obessesed with beauty, yes. Eye of the beholder, yes. It's a give and take.

6. This is so true, and the way I look at everything really. I know some people who are extremely upset by the fact that I don't find every single one of their dolls beautiful. But they do, and that's what matters - even if they don't necessarily see it that way. X3

For example, my Pierrot Baha. Some people think he's hideous (and are quite vocal about it :lol:) and think I'm mad for buying him, but to me he's beautiful, and I appreciate the detail of his face-up and the hours and hours Docshul must have spent perfecting it :aheartbea Other people not liking him doesn't upset me, it's just the way life is :lol: Fewer people to wanna buy him off me ;)

If we all found the same things beautiful, there'd be little diversity in the the world - both doll and real. Our varying tastes are what make this hobby fun! :D

I think in terms of BJDs we are all obsessed with beauty, in one form or another. I, personally, like all my dolls to be flawless. Because no matter their character, these expensive hunks of resin are designed to be flawless and I'm not paying a fortune for something just to hack it up with a scalpal :XD: But some people have very different ideas, and like to scar, pierce, burn and otherwise 'mutilate' their doll. That's still beauty. Each flaw tells a story. Every nick and scratch has a purpose. Whether it's to accentuate the doll's character or attitude, or to give insight in to the character's past, it has a reason for being there. What I might find 'ugly' in a doll can also be beautiful if you look at it with a different set of eyes.

In terms of people (which I think it closely related) I think that sometimes looks really don't matter I'm afraid!! I've found some of my most thrilling conversations have been with people whose looks would give the initial reaction of 'aah!' From an attraction point of view, I think looks matter more than many people would let on ;) (I know they matter at least somewhat to me!! :lol:) But some people allow looks to colour their ideas of what a person might be like on the inside, while others will take the chance that their looks could reflect their personality and just hope they don't. However, oftentimes I find the exact opposite is true - the prettier or more beautiful or more handsome a person is, the uglier their personality much of the time :| Anyone read the book Memoirs of a Geisha? Hatsumomo is a perfect example of this :3 Not every time thank goodness (I like to surround myself with the nice pretty people ;)) but I think that's one good reason why we love our flawless dolls so much perhaps? Because beneath their stunning exterior there's no viper waiting to strike :lol:

So yes, we are obsessed with beauty, in any possible sense of the word. That's not to say we'll all believe the same thing is beautiful, but you know what they say: "One man's trash is another man's treasure" ;)

7. Beauty is different for everyone and I perceive what's inside of something rather than the physical attribution it gives. And yes it may be true that there are things that are not very pleasing to the eye but so long as there is at least one person on this entire world find it beautiful then it is beautiful. I see a lot of beautiful sculpts of doll that others aren't very interested, likewise, those who see other sculpts that are very intriguing and beautiful, I find it not attracted to my eyes, not because it's ugly or anything it's just something that doesn't click with me.