1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Three Letter Sculpt Names-Your Reactions To Them

Sep 30, 2011

1. I don't see why a company would be concerned about whether or not their doll's name is easy to search on DoA -- they have other means of promotion. Sometimes I have great luck with the search function, and sometimes I don't. If the sculpt name is too short I can look up the company name and see if I can find info on that particular sculpt in the threads that come up. It means taking more time to sift through stuff, but it's better than nothing.

2. This is something that has urked me as I have dolls with three letter names, of course its not the companies fault and I think theyre lovely names! But when searching for these dolls I do a Google search for them and add on den of angels, it gives me plenty of threads. Or I search through related threads I know theyll pop up in (like Iplehouse Soa, Id look in the Iplehouse database, waiting room, etc).

3. Also, it's impossible to use the search bar to find wigs or eyes when their model numbers are well...numbers.

On a note semi-related to the original topic, the search engine's time limit — "This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between searches. Please try again in x seconds" — is a frustrating hindrance to those who know what they're looking for.

4. Like many others have said, the naming process probably takes very little of our searching convenience into account -- in all seriousness, it would not enter into my thought process on the matter either. This may be a large forum, but they don't owe us that convenience, just as DoA doesn't owe every company exposure. Both are entirely fair.

Beyond that... aren't these names translated? Maybe I'm having a case of the dumb here and they print the names in English on the sites for home audiences in Japan and Korea and China also, but I somehow doubt that. I also doubt they come up with the translated or English names first.

5. I've got a two-letter example: Dream of Child Si. He was my little sister's dorrie choice and it was a pain to find owner pics of him--until we stumbled upon his database. So sometimes you can get lucky like that, finding a specific database for the sculpt. Sometimes you have to scour the "All"-databses; that's unlucky.xD

I use the " " method too, and know I'm not turning up as many thread as there actually are. Ah, it's really bad luck if you fall for a three-letter named sculpt.:doh

6. Soa is actually a very new basic release in the Iplehouse JID line which is part of the reason you can't find much about her. I have only seen two in owner pictures so far and they can be found in the Iplehouse JID thread in the size specific section of the forum.

Sylvin, who owns a Soa, started a database for her and a flickr group.

Soa Database
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?472250-Soa-Beautiful-(Iplehouse-JID-Soa)

Soa Flickr Group
      http://www.flickr.com/groups/1770166@N21/

Asa Database (includes all sizes EID, SID, JID)
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?372101

Iplehouse Mini (JID) discussion thread
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?462155-IpleHouse-Mini-Discussion-Part-Five

Iplehouse has ALOT of short names that make it difficult to search for under the limitations of the board's search function. I usually just go to the Database section and collapse it to Iplehouse, or I go to the size specific forum for the doll I am looking for and check the appropriate threads.

7. I'm sure companies don't think of DoA when naming their dolls, but I AM sure they think a LOT about DoA when marketing - this forum must generate tons of business, especially for the smaller & newer companies. How many DoA people bought Claude, for instance? Volks may not give us more than a passing thought, but IoS etc sure do :D