1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinies- too often budgeted as "inexpensive"?

Mar 24, 2010

1. Realistically, tinies less expensive than other dolls on a general scale. Sure, Volks tinies have a higher price, but they're all limiteds, and compared to the SD (or larger) counterparts, they seems cheap in comparison.

I don't consider tinies to be "inexpensive" as far as all items go, but realistically, the average smaller dolls are much less than the average large dolls. I also don't tend to worry as much about them getting too expensive just for being a LE; they're definitely the easiest to find that's closest to their MP value.

2. I love my tinies, but they are so much harder to sew for that the larger dolls. So, having to buy their clothes can make them more expensive too.

3. I am a sucker for the pukifees, puki pukis and the bambicrony Ai elves. The limited edition BC's can run $400 plus.

But they are so f'ing gorgeous!!!

4. Many tinies do cost less than, say, a 70 cm male doll, and the Soom fullset tinies are significantly less than the Soom fullset large dolls, especially if you can confine yourself to buying just one of the tinies and not the pair. I'm generally not a tiny fan, but every once in a while I'll see a tiny or an anthro that appeals to me, and I'm often happily surprised at the smaller bill.

However, I don't really think they're that inexpensive. A lot of tinies cost 300 or 400 dollars and there are actually MSD and SD sized dolls you can get on Marketplace for that. Also, when I've fallen in love with a YoSD it always seems to be popular AND sold out, and if you want the default wig and outfit for it as well you always end up over on Y!J spending way way too much money - like easily the price of a larger doll. It's pretty annoying to me that Volks never releases the Yo's in just standard release as it jacks the price up to a pretty annoying degree, in my opinion.

5. They are deceivingly less expensive. I'm going based on PukiPuki's price range since I'm more familiar with them. The basics cost around 163 dollars (including faceup) or so. While say a MiniFee basic is roughly around 420 dollars (including faceup) . So per-inch the pukipuki costs about $40.75 dollars while in the Minifee per-inch it's $26.25 (ROUGHLY don't quote me on my math, I could be HORRIBLY wrong and correct me if I'm wrong. Plz) Resin-wise you're getting more bang for your buck with a minifee. But my theory is that the money for pukipukis lie in the engineering, you have to take a large and extremely posable(?) doll and shrink it down to 11 centimeters. That takes a lot of work to make right and work means higher pricetag. You may not be paying up-front as much money as with a larger doll but when you get down to the details the tinies are more expensive.

6. I think that the prices of tinies- just like the prices of other dolls- are all over the map. It's easier to find less expensive ones, although if you are looking at it as a "Pay-by-inch" thing, they're more expensive. But I don't consider the price-by-inch when I'm looking at dolls, I just pick the one I like best.
      Also I've been :doh-ing at all the mentions of "It's less resin, it should cost less.". Isn't that awfully similar to "It uses less cloth so it should cost less.", which is something that is fairly commonly known as NOT true on this forum?

Just my 2cents.

7. My thoughts exactly. I keep coming back and reading this thread, and it seems to me that no one is really answering the question because no one's really sure what the question is to begin with.

I bought tinies because I like that size, and because they could all live in the same house as my other dolls. I bought Brownies specifically because at their unsustainable prices (oops! oh well, not my fault!) I could get two dolls, a full set of hands, and some other accessories for the price of the Puki I wanted.

I also have no use for any doll that's bigger than a tiny - larger BJDs hold no appeal for me whatsoever. The only reason I can see myself buying anything larger would be if/when I finally crack from trying to sew clothes at 1/6 scale or below. :...(

It actually had little to do with their finite cost. Cost-per-inch? Really?? It's a doll, not lace trim.

And in the end, why does anyone else care how much my dolls cost? *_*

8. The smallest I want to go is 23-27cm. Anything smaller just seems too small to me. At least the 23-27 stuff will look right next to my 1/6 scale dolls I can't talk about here.

9. I think the truth of the matter is less that tinies are "not as expensive" and more that spending large sums of money on expensive dolls and doll items, as we so frequently do in this hobby, has the effect of desensitizing us to how much they cost. It's like velocitization. (For those who aren't familiar with this, it's what happens when you go from driving very fast, such as on a freeway, to suddenly driving in an area where speed is more restricted, such as in town. Most drivers find themselves initially having trouble adhering to the lessened speed limit, because their senses have become accustomed to the heightened speeds they were traveling at previously.) Buying dolls that cost $500, $1000, or more does the same thing - it makes it easier to make large purchases, because we've gotten used to them. And many tinies (though certainly not all) ARE somewhat less expensive than larger dolls made by the same company. (Even if the cost of a tiny from company A might be greater than that of a 60cm from company B, the costs of the 60cm from company A is usually greater than that of the tiny from company A, and so forth). This makes the effect easier to write off as a simple case of the tinies being less expensive, but there are actually more things going on.

10. The prices for dolls are so diverse it's hard relativating... my Mei 'only' cost me 170 USD (incl shipping) BTW the shipping fees also seem so much heftier on a lower price doll uah shipping is 1/5th of the price of the doll haha or ooooh only 1/10th.
      I'd really like to buy Dagger a really nicely made dress. I've made almost all her clothes up to now (also because she had he difficult size) and I dont sow bad but a qualtiy detailed dress would be nice...but dresses that cost 80USD (ex shipping) seem just way to expensive compared to what it would cost me to get another doll.... the brain works weird that way...

and to stay on topic...most tinies cost more than my Mei >.<"

11. If we look at the price tag when comparing an SD-sized doll and a tiny from the same company, the tiny will naturally be less expensive. And I think it's exactly what it is. No matter what we say about cost-per-inch or general cost of items (it became easier to find items for non-standard dolls recently, but I think it was not the case just some time ago), it's the initial label on the doll that makes one think "how neat! And I can save money!" But this is just until you look at price for clothes. I mean _good_ clothes, with enough detail and carefully sewn.
      As for the more / less value... I don't think one would be getting more or less when buying an SD instead of a tiny, or vice versa. What's important here is not the size, but the amount of love, time, and care put into the doll. This is what should make it valuable to the owner (:
      I mostly own MSDs, but my house will be suddenly swarmed by tinies in just a couple of months - I found several dolls "I just must have" 0__o" And I can say that yes, I can buy two small dolls with my salary and have enough to pay the bills, commissions here on DoA and buy myself a couple of new sets of clothes. Whereas I would only be able to buy one SD and all those other things I've mentioned. Perhaps just one set of clothes for myself instead of 2-3 (: