1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips/tricks for holding props in doll hands

Mar 26, 2023

1. Anybody got any tips on ways to get dolls to temporarily hold props like drinks in dolls hands for photos? Was thinking maybe tack, like what is used for eyes, might work?

2. That’s what I use. I have the white faber castell type but there are other brands that make a more neutral color stuff like scotch brand, it’s not so bright white.

3. I second the poster tack. It works great for smaller props and is easy to use and adjust.
      Another good thing to use is those tiny, clear hair elasics. They are very discrete and usually invisible if they are not in sharp focus. They can hold much heavier props.
      And both methods can be combined for even more hold.

4. I guess this is kind of obvious but lighter props are easier for dolls to hold! Maybe consider getting props made of light materials like air dry clay? I got a few food items from a con that were made of air dry clay as opposed to polymer clay since the artist was experimenting for 1/3 scale. She said she thought they’d probably be too heavy if made of polymer at that size.

As for tack, I haven’t used it for props but I do use silicone ear plugs! They hold eyes very well for my Dollfie Dreams.

#4 Chantelle, Mar 26, 2023
      Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    5. I like using clear elastics, like the small ones for kids hair. They usually don't show up in photos, but they're good for holding certain items.

6. I actually make polymer clay food and resin drinks for all doll scales, including 1/3, and tend to prefer the heavier materials because they look more realistic…..but yes, it is making it difficult for my dolls to hold things. Resin drinks in 1/3 scale are indeed quite heavy

7. I will sometimes use thin wire (like for faux floral arrangements) to help hold larger props (like swords). You can carefully place the wire around the ball joint at the wrist and bring it down into the palm of the hand to hide most of the wire. Because of its thinness, you don't see much in photos or you can easily remove it digitally.

8. i use museum putty which is a strong type of tack/mounting putty. just make sure you twist it a little to get that good seal

9. Either tiny clear rubber bands or Mack's silicon ear plugs (which I also use as eye putty)

10. 1- Use ultralight props wherever you can. Paper cups, food made of light clay, a sword made of balsa wood and not steel.
      2- Yes, those small clear rubber bands you can get for hair braids, or the stretchy jewelry elastic that is also thin and clear.
      3- Hide the attachment filament or putty of choice by position or camera angle. This can be fiddly but a little cinema magic never hurt.
      4- Why use one hand when two can be excused for a drink, object, or weapon? Wired or well posing arms mean you can have two hands supporting an object which means less dropping stuff.

11. This is a good point! I do agree polymer clay/resin drinks generally look more realistic! The weight is also something nice about them, makes them feel more sturdy/realistic.

However, for the air dry props I own, the artist did such a good job on them that I couldn’t tell the difference in material between them and the smaller scale props without picking it up! :D

12. Silicone earplugs like Mack's earplugs are my go-to for this sort of thing. You can tear off a small portion and make it easy to hide the silicone for photos. Check out my Iplehouse nYID Olivia holding the spoon in particular.

[​IMG]

13. Oh wow, that appears to work really well.

14. I like to use Zots, clear adhesive (both sides) dots that come in various sizes, are acid-free, and are easily removed from resin and most other things except paper.
      Even though they are flat circles, you can roll them up or moosh them together if necessary.

15. They're pretty good and easy to get, too. If you have a Walgreens in your area they've got a huge pack of store brand earplugs that you'll probably never run out of. They're also decent to use as eye putty from what I've heard though I've never had to use it myself.

I also use them with off topic 1/6 scale fashion dolls. They're very useful.

16. I was about to suggest this! I actually use museum putty on my dolls ears (they're detachable elf ears) and they stay on pretty well!

17. I don't have my dolls hold props too often, but I use poster putty/tack. I love the thought of clear elastics; I never would have thought of that!

Just throwing this out there for everyone who uses silicone earplugs. I know that the resin dolls are made out of is different than resin eyes, but be careful with it. I had a pair of resin eyes get destroyed/broken down by the silicone. I'm not sure if it would do that to doll hands, but it is something to be aware of.

18. Interesting. I've never had problems, and sometimes I forget I left the silicone in the hands for months at a time.

19. I hope it was just a fluke, but wanted to throw that out there for everyone.