1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To those Who Own Only or Prefer One Gender Over the Other

Jun 3, 2008

1. Which gender do you prefer? Do you ever have anyone ask you why you own or prefer girls/boys? Like they think it's weird you prefer one gender over the other.

I had a friend ask me puzzlingly, "Why do you prefer girls?" I told her, "I don't know really why, I just do" What would you have said to this?

I prefer girl dolls myself and own mostly girls. I only have girl dolls in the SD size, tho my biggest, a 70M is a boy! Out of all my dolls, I have mostly girls! I find it extremely hard to find a boy I like!

When did you discover that you prefered that gender over the other? How did you discover it?

For me, it just came with time, I slowly realized I was selling off all my boys I got & I tended to keep my girls!

So basically, I'm curious.

1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference?
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other?

Yea, I know many questions to start a discussion, but this was just all flowing thru my head, hehe!

I searched & couldn't find anything about gender preference already existing, sorry if it does & I missed it!

2. I prefer boy dolls, just look at my resin family ;)

Hehe, I only have one girl in each size (a Lishe and a Ren girl) and just because they're VERY special to me! It's so hard to find girl dolls that I really like...
      I'm planning on a Yo-SD girl too, but boys in my wishlist come first XD

Why do I prefer boys? Well, I guess it's just like in real life, I like boys better :lol:

3. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Hmm...looking at my collection now i have 3 girls, 2 boys and an androgonous doll. Im also planning to order another girl in the next month or so. So i guess id have to say i lean on the side of female dolls.

My mother in law asks me sometimes, she cant see why i would want an androgonous doll or a big boy doll. I think she understands about a boy tiny as she thinks hes cute.

3) What would you tell someoene who asked you about your preference?
      I basically explain that my collection is based on the dolls that really draw my attention regardless of gender. It just seems that ive found more female dolls that i like so far. That and i wont buy a doll unless i can find out what their name is first...its one of the reasons ive not yet got myself that lati blue boy i like..the poor chap just cant tell me his name or personality yet.

I dont think so, my mother in law is the only one that really says anything about gender. I think all her dolls would be girls as she says they are more fun to dress (which they are) but I love Ninde and Jaegar with all my heart and wouldnt swap them for petticoat wearers!

I cant say i prefere one gender over the other, altho i must admit girls are a lot of fun to dress! Im not really into dressing my guy effeminatly, id like any boy dolls i have to be macho men (Jaegar if you have met him is a bit of an egotistical sod),

4. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Female.
      It seems the bits of my personality that want to be expressed as dolls are all female.
      I've never had anyone ask (in person that is).
      See question 1.
      4) Do others think it's weird that you have this preference?
      If people think I'm weird, it probably has more to do with the fact that my female dolls have pupilless eyes and ridiculous ears. ^_~
      5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      It took time. I tried boys, but I just don't enjoy them as much.... as a rule. I'm totally open to the idea of finding the *right* boy someday, it just hasn't happened. I suppose I have no "inner male" to express?

Raven

5. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I definitely prefer male dolls. It's hard to say exactly why. You could say I'm just attracted to them more because I am a heterosexual girl and am just more attracted to males in general. But I think it's because of the way men have reacted to me all my life. I have always felt like I could relate to a man better in certain ways just because they, being a male, are the opposite of me and are kindof like a balance to me. Whenever I think of a guardian spirit or a teacher I think of a male, because they provide me that other half that I don't have. The problem is that I've never really been able to get close to a man without them developing feelings for me, while I on the other side just want to experience a platonic friendship. Since a doll cannot fall in love with me, and I can't really fall in love with it, it appeals to me as my way of experiencing a good friendship with a male. I can take it places with me, dress it, sleep in the same bed with it, and nothing has changed. Maybe it's weird to say that, but sometimes I do feel that that is why.

Not really. I've always drawn male characters and preferred males in my artistic endeavors. I think they would have been freaked out if I had gotten a female!

For a stranger on the street casually asking why I chose boys, I would just tell them simply that I liked the sculpts much more. But if someone wanted to really converse about it, I might get into my reasons.

Nah. It feels pretty natural to me.

When I looked at my long doll wishlist and realized only one or two on there were female, I figured I liked the boys more. ;)

6. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      wimmenz

hm... not really

well apparently i'm a closet lesbian? lol... part of it is most of my dolls are based on my own characters, and i generally play girls because i am a girl >.> it's easier for me to realistically write for a girl and relate to a girl character. i only have three boys (not counting buttons), and two of them are based on my husband's characters. they get neglected a lot in my pictures/stories because it's difficult for me to write for them without it seeming too stale or static.

no

originally it was balanced... girl, then boy, then girl, then boy again... then it was girl, then girl... then girl......... hehehehe oops ;)

7. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

Females, definitely.

Not really. Mostly, with my doll friends, I'm just the one with all the girl dolls and they're the one's with the boys. Kind of a balancing act I guess.

I'm just more drawn to female sculpts. I actually do have 2 boy heads, but I don't know how long it'll be before I get around to getting them bodies. All these pretty girls keep coming out. xD;

Probably, but I think it's weird to only love boy dolls so we're pretty even in that respect.

Uh.. Well. I started out liking boys, but when I got my first doll it was a girl.. as as the second and third doll. And the forth. I find boy dolls that I like, but when it comes time to order a doll, there's always a girl doll I like more.

8. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Looking at my planned doll list, I prefer females. As an MSD lover, I find that the female sculpts are prettier for the most part, and for guys I'm so picky. More often than not, MSD guys look feminine, so.. :S

Nope.

Pretty much what I answered in question 1.

Nope.

It wasn't really a discovery, more me noticing that I couldn't find MSD male sculpts I liked while MSD girls I liked were easy to come by.

And a question, does your own sexual preference really matter when it comes to what doll gender you like? I'm a heterosexual female and I still prefer girl dolls.

9. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I prefer male dolls because I've always been a huge tomboy. I did play with Barbies when I was a child, and I had two My Little Ponies.. but after a while, I got interested in Lego and Transformer toys instead. I think the fact that I'm a tomboy probably influenced my decision to buy a boy doll as my first doll too. Also, being female myself... a female doll just doesn't really seem that interesting to me. I'm not saying they aren't pretty, but I tend to like the boys more and I like basing dolls off my own characters who are usually males :sweat

No, not really. Those that know me know that I like boys.. and those that know me really well know I love yaoi. Those that don't know tend to find out eventually; so in the end, no one really ever questions me about my preference since they know what my answer will be. Yes, I'm afraid I'm predictable like that.

Probably the same thing I said in my answer to question one. I find boy dolls more interesting and appealing than girl dolls.

Not that I'm aware of... maybe my mom might when she sees my doll, though I doubt she'll ask since she likes pretty boys too :lol: She might mistaken him for a girl though >_>

It was a gradual process. I have always written and drawn since I was young and I've created a ton of original characters; some female, some male. But in the recent years, I've noticed that I favor my male characters more than my female ones. I develop their stories, personalities and what not much more deeper than I do with my girls and if I draw, I tend to draw my male characters too... heck, even when it comes to drawing I have a preference of drawing males over females. I can never draw a girl pretty enough, but I have no trouble drawing boys *_* So, all in all, my past experiences definitely influences my taste in bjds... thus it will always be boy dolls for me :aheartbea

10. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Definitely girls. I think they're more suited for the slender stature of the dolls.
      Nope.
      As Vanilla.Sky and TheFontBandit so nicely replied in my intro post that everyone's different and you can't really become 'abnormal' in this hobby, I'd say no.
      Browsing around for the past couple of years. It slowly grew on me and I didn't realize how strongly I felt until I finally decided to get a doll.

11. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boys. I'll admit it has a lot to do with all of the "pretty boys" in anime and manga. xD;

Everyone I know has asked me "Why don't you have any girls?" (though I do have ONE now. xD;)

I tell them I like the male sculpts better, even though the girls are cute, but I tend to find more male dolls that I want. ^^

The only other thing is that, if I had too many girls, I'd spend far too much money on buying cute lolita dresses and anything I think is adorable. xD; So in the long run, having mostly boys saves me money. (I think. XD;)

Not really. ^^; I think most people are used to me. But now that I have one girl, and I want to get more, people are like "WHAT, you want another GIRL!?"

I didn't really think about it. XD; It just kind of.... happened, I guess. ^^;

I'm sorry I'm not very descriptive with anything, but I don't know what to write. xD;

12. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I mainly prefer male dolls... I guess it's because all I've ever owned were female dolls my whole life. I'm just bored with girls. : |

Well I do have all male original characters (with the exception of a few females that are dead and one that never existed) and people question why. I don't know really... I just have a fascination with the other sex, especially pretty boys/bishonen just because finding a guy like that in the world is really rare here where I live.

"I just like the guys better. I just find it harder to get attached to a girl doll."

Hm... perhaps a little considering I just have absolutely no interest in other girls at all. I just see every girl as another person who's just there... maybe I'm just really used to my sex.

When I first set my eyes on a Homme Ducan I knew that i'd much rather have a beautiful male doll rather than a beautiful female. Dolls that look like pretty girls are everywhere, guys that have that gorgeous appeal are rare in the western doll world that I've been in for the last oh... about 16 years of my life.

13. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

my taste is pretty even it seems as far as gender...but I prefer *pretty* dolls, like girls. I like cute things and girly/nerdy boys so I tend to avoid the 'manly' sculpts. I prefer girls I guess, but I have an even amount of genders planned, with one girl head on a boys body. Its kinda complicated ^___^;;

ah....not too often. My friends already know I love pretty and cute things so they laugh that all my boys are as pretty as my girls. But its like the music I listen too...the bands are all pretty guys haha

I like what I like. And what I don't like is muscely sweaty guys.

Sometimes I think my friends don't know what to make of it. I say I want a girl with boobs and a boy who looks cute in a skirt. I'm weird so they've come to accept it about me.

Um.....a very long time ago....before I even got into dolls really...The dolls I like are more an extension of my personal likes in people and characters. I don't care if its a girl or a boy so long as its cute to look at.

14. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Boys, all my dolls are boys. :) I'm a tomboy and have always related better to males. I'm not into pink froofy things or makeup or long pretty hair. Also because I'm straight I find boys more pleasing to my eye, yaoi, etc.
      Not really.
      I like boys, therefore I own boy dolls.
      No, no one who knows me was at all surprised.
      I've always wanted boy dolls to play with and dress up, but there was a horrible lack of them when I was a kid. I'm making up for lost time. ;)

15. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? All my BJDs are girls, I think because growing up I had dolls of both sexes but I used to play with boy dolls more because the articulation was better. Barbie was really stiff where as action man could bend all his joints.
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? No, no one has ever asked why I like girls better (you're the first) :)
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? The same reason I just explained, I spent most of my childhood playing with boy dolls now I have girls that are articulated. I have a whole shelf filled with action men in my bedroom, three rows, I don't need anymore boys!
      4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? Not at all. I'm a girl after all. That shouldn't matter.
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? I'd always planned on getting two girls and if I ever had a third it should be a boy but I ended up getting another girl coz she had a sweet face and even more joints than the other two. It's all about the joints baby ;)

16. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

Boys... Hands down. I have 3 girls. And 8 boys.

BJD people no, but my other doll collector friends do.

Its about the only area of doll collecting/hobby-ing where there is a good supply of attractive male dolls who aren't just accessories Let's face it Barbie Ken is just an accessory!...

Yes, and no. People who know me real well know I've made male dolls in the past and draw characters and write stories... It does seem a bit odd when you consider I ahve 50 other non-BJD dolls and almost all of them are female.

When I got into BJD the boys just started piling up. I've never sold anyone, so my collection is an accurate reflection of my purchasing habits, I think.

17. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Female, because I understand the female body better then the male body, plus I find it had to find boys that fit my personal preference for men. (The closest is Iplehouse) I like strong, hard looking men.
      I have been asked once or twice
      I normally tell them I just don't find boy dolls I'm personally drawn too.
      Some people in the Hobby, but other then that no.
      Looking at pictures, and finding reasons why I didn't like the boy molds and finding reasons why I liked the girl molds. I just prefer the soft gentle female faces and bodies of the girl dolls. Plus I have always been a bit of a girly girl, so picking dolls with frills and lace isn't a big stretch.

I do have a floating boy head, but he is supposed to be for my boyfriend so I'm not even sure that counts.

18. ) What gender do you prefer & why?

Female. I dont really know why...

So far no. I do have one boy but most of my dolls are female. I guess most people dont give it a second thought...and theres the fact that I dont tell them there anatomically correct. XXD

I guess I just prefer female sculpts thats all.

No not really. I just like more feminin dolls thats all.

19. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer the boy dolls myself, just because they're too cute to resist.

Yes, my mom =_='
      She complains to me everyday about how I only like the boy ones and never want a girl. That really isn't true considering I've had my eye on a SD for a while now.

That I simply prefer the boy dolls over girls, I find them to be cuter that's why.

Not really, I mean there are a lot of collectors out there who are the same-they just like them better.

When I bought my first MSD. Now that I look at any doll that I want, they tend to be all boys.

20. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer males... because I prefer looking at males, and I like shonen-ai.
      Nope.
      I'd tell them it's because I prefer to look at males, probably.
      Nope.
      Right away. I wanted a boy doll first.

I do want girl dolls, but events keep conspiring such that they get pushed down my purchase list over and over...