1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To you, is a bjd an art piece or are they a doll?

May 7, 2019

1. I think they are both! They are definetely art forms, but at the same times they are dolls to be played with and attatched too n.n

2. I'll answer with a literary bent. In the "Makioka Sisters," the youngest sister has built a reputation making and selling beautiful dolls. Her family isn't happy when she plans on becoming a dressmaker, as they consider her dolls artistic and thus highbrow.

3. I say both! :3nodding:
      I see my guy as a very interactive art piece.
      I totally play with him, but also like to display him when I'm not and I highly appreciate the art involved.

4. My dolls arent just dolls or art pieces. They're just really comforting to have because I get to be part of a community that is mostly so full of love and appreciation. They're more than dolls but definitely not just art pieces for me. I just love having them and sharing them!

5. I guess I’m in the minority, but I see them as dolls. Really customizable, toy-mostly-likely-to-come-alive-in-the-middle-of-the-night, realistic dolls. I was dragged to too many art museums/pottery shows/Mom’s painting class/etc. as a child to feel excited about the word “art” :sweat These dolls are totally for me to play with :lol:

6. They are just dolls to me.

7. I see them as a canvas for our creativity and as an outlet from reality. They are definitely not dolls like barbies, although barbies can be used the same way, bjds for me are made for artists only while barbies are made for children and adults who want to use them as their creative outlet. I wouldn't give a bjd to a child, they are fragile and require work.

8. That is a really good question! I'd say both and maybe even more.
      When I see a blank doll my immediate thought is always that those dolls are peices of art. But they are not the kind of art that you'd find in a museum. There is something much more personal about them. I love how you can take such a pice of art and add onto it with your own artistic ability and craftsmanship.
      Ofc they are also dolls. but I think it doesn't end there.

9. Dolls ARE art pieces. They have a long history of being an art form all over the world. Even Barbie or Bratz or Monster High... someone had to sculpt their faces and engineer their articulation.

So both? I collect them more as a personal art project and display piece than a "playtoy" but I think that's sort of just a grown-up way of playing...

10. For me, they're definitely art. Just like some of my friends put up paintings they did or pictures theyve taken, I have my doll on display in my room, posed for me to look at. Often she can become somewhat of a fixture, but so can most artistic items. In the end, they are most certainly NOT toys. At the very least they are hobbies, at the most wondrous works of art.

11. For me they are just dolls & toys,their worth to me is make me feel better when I play with them.

12. For me, they're both! But I'd say I definitely admire them as art pieces just sitting on my shelves more than I actually play with them...

13. Both, they are a piece of art, beautifully sculpted and also a doll.

14. Well, I collect things like figurines and to me a bjd is more a collector's item. I always tried to keep them in perfect original condition. I wouldn't be able to play with it carelessly. I am too afraid of damage. So they are more a piece of art to me. And also a good way to express my interest in cute things :)

15. For me they are collector itens. When I think about dolls it comes to mind mass production toys.

16. They're both to me, but especially if the sculpt is more of something to be displayed opposed to "played with". When I say played with I mean dressed, posed, pictures, etc. I have a couple of dolls who will never be changed in clothing and are in cases for display purposes only and I have dolls that I change their clothes, photograph regularly, etc. But at the end of the day dolls are both to me an art piece and a doll.

17. I see them as changeable and posable sculptures, and a wonderful outlet for creativity and imagination. And lots of fun to play with too! :love

18. both! i like to display her as an art piece but also play with her and play dress up with her as a regular doll!

19. Little bit of column A, and a little bit of column B. I like being able to play with, and dress up my doll when I feel like it but I also get a lot of enjoyment out of just having him sit on display nearby in a room because he's a really wonderful looking doll.

20. Maybe the original is a work of art? I see them as collector pieces and the sculpture as art. I guess I treat my dolls as pieces of art because I display them rather than play with them in the traditional sense. I also own other types of dolls which are one of a kind pieces or were produced in very small numbers. The one of a kind pieces I absolutely consider art. The costumes, the face ups, it's all artistic.