1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Too many dolls?

Sep 8, 2009

1. I don't really ever feel like I have too many, I can always find another corner or closet to put them in. When it comes to BJDs I get creative at re-arranging my apartment :) I do re-evaluate my collection when I don't enjoy certain ones, or don't have motivation to complete them. But I don't mind if I get busy and they sit for months at a time, they are just dolls and they will be there the next time I want to take them out.

2. About 20
      Only weekends and daily admiration when I see my cabinet
      mmm good question. I think it depends on the doll but maximum 900-1000$
      No, actually I'm not.
      Yes I bought a nice one on IKEA
      No. This is a hobby and I enjoy them when there's no other serious commitment

3. i used to think that 2 dolls would be my limit and stared in wide-eyed fascination at others who have 20 or more! Part of my reservations dealt with guilt. "There are so many other things that I could do with that money," not deserving such things.

But as I've gotten older (the clock is ticking), I realize I need to enjoy life and make myself happy. If others can spend boo-coo bucks on sports trading cards, Nike sneakers, and freakin' cell phones that become obsolete in 6 months, I can definitely spend my money on a few dolls who make me happy.

Over the years, though, this view has changed. I definitely have more than two now with three more on the way (2 tinies and an MSD), and an additional 6 (mix of tiny, MSD, and 70cm) planned in the near future.

My goal is to create a physical representation of the family in my head that's been begging to be written about :)

Limits be d@mned!

4. I'm envious of the people who can afford so many dolls! I've only been able to buy one, but I feel like she needs a friend. XD
      I personally feel like any more than 5 is too many though.

5. I just get a kind of feeling like there are too many... And with that feeling comes the realization that it's been a long time since I actually did anything with a fair portion of my dolls. So I reevaluate, play with the doll and change up its style, but if it doesn't seem to help then that's who needs to go. I would rather have a smaller amount of dolls that I love to death than a larger amount of dolls where I don't pay attention to half of them. But somehow the "max" number keeps increasing, despite my best efforts!

6. For me...too many dolls is when I'm trying to take a picture and I can't fit everyone in.
      But actually...it's just when I can no longer fit them in my doll room.

7. I guess while you are happy it is no matter how much dolls you have. for one person 3 dolls it is too many, for other one the 100 it is not enough :)

8. I think part of it could even be the size of your dolls. I know that some people have more than ten Soom Super Gems, and I think one would be too many for me. I also know of several people who have a lot of really tiny dolls, and I think more than two Real Puki would be too many! I only collect tinies so far and have very strict scale requirements, so hopefully that will help prevent me from having too many dolls!

9. I also think the size of one's dolls in a collection is important.
      I have six big ones and I think that's ok (if I really fall in love with another SD, I might consider getting it, though. ^^;).
      Now I go more for tinies and MSD sized dolls. ^^
      For me my collection will be too big if I want to count them in my head and forget one. o_o

10. Okay, so I have a lot of dolls listed in my signature and apparently I'm one of those people with "too many dolls". I have around 34 at the moment, and I've been in the hobby for little over five years. To be honest, I find it a little upsetting when people gave me slack-jaw stares (or the online equivalent) and then make comments to me like "Whoa...30 DOLLS?!? I can't even..." Intellectually, I know most of these people mean their comments in a good way, but sometimes I get the impression it's a judgement especially when it's followed up by a comment like "How do you look after them all?" or "You can't possibly love/play with/enjoy/give attention to ALL of them!" Seriously? I don't look at other people's collections and go, "Holy carp! 50 DOLLS?!?" or "Aww...you only have one?" How many dolls people choose to have is only their own concern, in my opinion.

I personally think that someone can only have "too many dolls" if it limits other aspects of their life in some way. If a person has been spending so much money on acquiring dolls that they can't afford their home, food, medical care and basic bills, then maybe they've bought too many dolls. If they spend so much time with their dolls to the exclusion or neglecting of other real-life relationships and activities, then maybe they have too many dolls. If they feel overwhelmed or stressed by the size of their collection, then maybe they have too many dolls. Otherwise...have as many as you want.

How many dolls is "too many dolls", is largely dependent on the individual circumstances of the person. For some people, 3 may be too many and for some people, 50 may not be enough. What I really think is that only the owner of the dolls gets to decide if they have too many dolls or not. No one else should determine whether anyone has too many.

11. I'm coming up on 7 later this spring/summer. I certainly never expected my collection to get this big; if I go to a meet up again I may have to choose who will go with me x_x But so many dolls I MUST have...

I know someone who has 30 or more. I couldn't imagine having that many.

12. It's strange how easy it is to end up there, though. I was sure, when I started, that I'd have no more than 10, max. I now have 27 full dolls home, plus a floating head that needs a body, plus two more on order, and plans to order 3-4 more this year. And it doesn't seem overwhelming at all, honestly. I have no problem with this number of dolls, and no plans to part with any of them.

13. I can't fit all of mine in a signature! I have over 90, inching to 100 at least.

14. I also think the too many limit depends on the person. For some (like me) only a few is plenty, but for others, they could collect an infinite amount of dolls. It just depends on the personal preference of the person. I think as long as the dolls aren't impacting your life negatively, like money and social-wise and such, then you can have as many dolls as you want. :3

Though I will admit you can turn from a few-doll person to a many-doll person and vice versa. I've always considered myself a one-doll person, but I've been eyeing other dolls lately. xD

15. To me, too many dolls would be if you have so many dolls that you can't pay bills, you're struggling financially, maxing out credit cards, etc. Too many dolls would be if you find yourself in a frenzy to sell off dolls or doll clothes just to make ends meet.

I personally only have one doll and am perfectly happy with that number. If you have the money, time, and space for it, I see no issue with building a large collection.

#75 Sheyda, Jan 9, 2015
      Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    16. Yeah, I get what you mean. I ended up ordering a PukiFee Cupid from Fairyland just now x-x;;;

17. I don't think I could handle more than five, there's just no space here haha

18. For me, personally, "too many" is when I don't have space anymore, can't remember all their names and stories, etc. Right now I have fourteen (one tiny, six minis, and seven SDs), and I think I've just about reached my limit for resin dolls. I am getting some vinyl dolls, but I have space planned out for them already.

I think even if I came into money and could get more resin dolls, I wouldn't be able to have more than twenty. I'd start having trouble picking who to photograph :p

19. I had 'too many'. At most, I had 38 full dolls and a few extra heads/parts. I was overwhelmed by the collection. I enjoy roleplaying my dolls, but with that many, even playing one a day, it took over a month to play each one. I couldn't develop the characters fully, and I couldn't keep up with their stories. I couldn't afford to get proper eyes, wigs and clothes for each of them, and settled on a lot of cheaper options that I didn't really love. I have a doll room with individual rooms, but with so many dolls, it still looked cramped and messy. I stressed over them all more than I enjoyed them. Thirty eight was entirely too many for me.

I sold over half of the collection, and now I have 16 full dolls. That's still a few too many sometimes, but for the most part, I do have every one in the right shell, with the right wig and eyes, and most of them have adequate clothing and accessories. Some of them are paired/grouped with others, so they can be roleplayed as a group, instead of needing one-on-one play. I can now make sure each gets attention weekly. Eleven of them have their own room/space, and the other five hang out with the ones who do have a room. Having 1-2 dolls per doll room is much better looking than cramming 4-5 per room. Right now, I have no other dolls planned except to reshell one of the existing characters, so any extra cash I have can go towards getting clothes for those who don't have as much.

For me, personally, I think 13 would be the magic number. I'm just getting to a point where I'm not sure I can part with more without regretting it, so I'm biding my time before making more decisions. I know some people who think three is plenty, and others who have more than 60 but want more. It really depends on the person and their needs. There isn't one perfect number to fit every collector.

20. One of the most amazing things in this hobby is how it so perfectly accommodates the "different strokes for different folks" principle.:) Whether you're the type to have only one very pampered doll or an endless mass of them to enjoy, it's all perfectly fine and acceptable. In fact, things can even change for the individual as their interests and needs in this hobby change over time. I just read my response to this thread back in 2009, and was frankly amazed that I considered 10 dolls overwhelming at the time. But I collected very differently back then. I have since found an even more fun path to my collecting, and I can happily have more dolls within my theme and be just fine with that now. I've worked very diligently to seek out my crew and now have them all either home or currently on layaway...so it appears that I'm topping out at 14, which seems like the perfect number for my space as well as for me personally.