1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Transgender/intergender dolls?

Jan 7, 2014

1. Hi! Does anyone on here own a doll that identify as transgender, intergender or similar? If so, was this something you planned or something you realized once you got the doll? Have you done any modding on your doll because of this?

I'm sorry if there is a thread like this already; I couldn't find one.

I hope to see some genderqueer dolls out there! :)

2. I have one doll, a Dear Mine Korat, who is genetically a boy but doesn't identify as male or female, so I guess he's genderfluid? I call him "him" even though that line of doll doesn't even have boy bits. But, he wears whatever he likes and likes whoever he likes. Haha. XD

3. None of my on-topic dolls at the moment, though I certainly wouldn't rule it out as a possibility...

Billy as a character is decidedly not genderfluid, but the first thing I made him was a little dress and he has a pair of girl shoes. The dress was the easiest thing to make so that he wouldn't be naked when he came, and the shoes are just irresistably cute. And Vince just wears whatever looks good, so his gender presentation is semi-fluid I guess, even if his gender is not.

I don't have any genderqueer characters prioritized in terms of dolls I plan to purchase, but I do have genderqueer characters on the big list of characters I'd love to someday buy resin bodies for.

I'm fluid myself and enjoy exploring gender as a concept through writing, and would like my dolls to have a wide range of identities and presentations because that's just another way of dealing with gender through art... but so far the resin crew is pretty much cismale.

4. I don't have any dolls like that but I have a friend who has a doll (the name escapes me), but the doll is based off a character she RPed in the World of Darkness setting. The soul was a human female but it ended up back on Earth in a male body. The same friend also has a character whose being is essentially spirit (I guess it was more male) but was then made into a human female. She's looking to sand off the boy bits for that doll so it's more gender neutral.

5. I haven't encountered/seen many trans dolls on the forum (I don't count MtF/FtM mods unless the owner intended the doll be trans as opposed to doing the mod for a different body shape etc).
      That said there are a few around, but as one's gender identity is not the be all-end all of a persons identity, they are often not advertised as such.
      I have one who is MtF, partially transitioned (top surgery, not bottom) and staying that way.

#6 eleniel, Jan 8, 2014
      Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    6. Honestly there's about ten thousand threads discussing dolls and gender on this forum. For some reason it's a really hot topic that people love rehashing over and over again.
      Here's one thread, for example.
      And another.
      And one more.
      And yet another.
      And that was only from the first page of results. The search bar, it is your friend.

7. DollAbbesse: I've actually been thinking about that since you said it and it does sound interesting to me, but god it would be expensive. But some MSD girl bodies have breasts small enough to be counted as non-existing and I guess you could work with that.

Razzy: I guess the word would be intergender (a person who identify as both genders, no genders or is genderfluid) :) How come you call them him if they don't identify as a boy?

Anneko: Aw I would love to see a picture of Billy in those clothes if you've got one!

vicemage: I will check that out :3

Scholar: Wow that sounds quite cool! I really like the idea.

Aoibara: Well, that does make sense.

eleniel: Do you have a picture of her? I would love to see her!

DromosMata: I would love to see him when he's done! ^_^

Harlequin-Elle: I did find those threads before starting this one, but they weren't really what I was looking for. Also, no one has really mentioned intergender dolls.

8. i dont have the dolls yet but i have one character who is half demon. when she is in her human form she has a girls body but when she transforms into her demon form she becomes a he and has a boy's body. and a second character who is a cross dresser. she straps down her chest, stuff her long hair under her beanie, and rocks boys clothes.

9. Just to be clear, Intergender is the same as being androgynous? this whole "a person who identify as both genders, no genders" thing is rather confusing *_* as far as I know, if your private parts are male, then you are a male and vice versa. You might want to be a woman, or feel like a woman but you're still a male unless you change your body and become transgender...I just don't get how one person can be 'genderless' or have 'both genders' (unless they're an hermaphrodite).

I don't want to offend anyone, human sexuality is very complex but this is the first time I hear that someone can be "genderless" so I was intrigued :sweat

As for the OP, I have one off-topic doll who is very girly, he likes to wear girl clothes but he has a male body. I never really thought about this, the doll just felt right with those clothes but as personality goes, he seems himself as a boy (yep, he's also gay). I don't think this is the same as being transgender hehe he's just a gay boy who wears girly clothes/make up but has the personality of a man (doesn't act/talk effeminate).

10. Intersex is the word for a human being who has both male and female sex genes/traits/genitalia-- 'hermaphrodite' is no longer applied to people, and some consider it offensive, though I know it wasn't meant that way just now. Just letting you know! Intersex individuals sometimes identify as one sex or the other, but not always, and as with a lot of trans* folk, this doesn't necessarily correlate with what surgeries have or haven't been undergone (though surgeries on intersex people is usually done to them as infants, often without consulting parents beforehand). And some people identify as bi-gendered, or genderfluid. Bi-gendered people would consider themselves simultaneously male and female regardless of their physical/genetic makeup. Genderfluid people may feel that they are male, female, both, or neither at different times.

(whew, sorry for the big infodump!)

Anyway, here's Billy in his simple dress and girl shoes:
      [​IMG]

Sorry the lighting is so terrible... there's one with better lighting but the shoes are cut out, and the shoes are really the best part. I love the little cat-face mary janes. The fact that my only tiny is a boy can't stop me from using them. (so far he only has the one super-simple dress and he mostly wears his dino costume but that's not to say he won't have future girly things... and Vince is often mistaken for female when in his long wig and all his pink stuff)

Anyway, the dress was made so he wouldn't be nude-on-arrival-- or at least, would be able to then be dressed soon after arrival. Which is why it's simple, basic, and not pants despite Billy's gender identity and in-character unlikeliness to be in a dress... but yeah. I might have to make him a cute skirt or something sometime.

11. Chaste was going to be a girl that dressed and acted as a boy but somehow when his head was complete (face-upped, wig, eyes) I just looked at him and thought 'nope, you were born a lad weren't you?'. HEis character has still retained a lot of the feminine traits however. It could possibly be because I bought another girl doll during getting him complete. I'm not really sure!

12. yumi~: Physically determined sex-at-birth and gender are actually two separate things. Sex at birth tends to be determined by the present genitals on an infant, usually determined on a binary basis. (That is, you're either a girl, or you're a boy.) However, intersex people do not fit into this binary system, and there are several other conditions that can make sex-at-birth differentiating a flawed system (for example, an XY who didn't have enough testosterone to have their genitals become a penis, or an XX whose testosterone overrode their chromozonal sex and as a result, their genitals became a penis. There are other conditions as well, such as XXY or XYY and other reasons such as infant sex changes due to botched circumsicions (but these days this is generally frowned upon)).

Gender, however, is much more fluid. Imagine, for the sake of simple comparison (though the issue is actually much more complex), that there are a whole bunch of people and you had to line them up from the most outgoing to the most introverted. There would be one person at either end of the line, with the rest scattered somewhere in between. Also, depending on the moods of the participants, this order might change. One or two people would always be standing where they were, but the others might move around. This is what we call a spectrum, and a sliding spectrum, and it is in this way that a person's gender acts. Some people (like me) have a very strong female-identifying gender. Others have a strong male-identifying gender, and a lot of people are in between and some days they can feel more one than the other, or a little of both at the same time, or any combination in between the two outlying points. Even people who identify as one gender or the other also do this. For example, there are days when I want to wear pretty dresses and a bucketload of makeup because I'm feeling particularly feminine that day, whereas other days all I want is to wear hoodies and sweats and play video games, and I can't abide dresses and makeup. I always identify as female but some days are more female than others.

Also, your physical sex and your gender might not match up. This is where someone identifying as trans* comes into it. It's important here that these people don't just "believe" that they're not their assigned-at-birth sex. They actually aren't. A trans*woman is a woman, and a trans*man is a man. It doesn't matter what their physical sex is because what matters is their gender. In fact, it can actually be really really harmful to people to tell them that they are not the gender that they identify as - and it's also a really big dick move besides.

In answer to the OP's question, however, I have plans for one intersex dolly, for my phoenix character Adelaide (Lai.) She's a female identifying character who shares some of the properties of the phoenix such as rebirth and strong healing capabilities.

((Apologies if anything I said in this post is inaccurate. Feel free to correct me if I have any misconceptions.))

13. solitary agent: Aw they're so pretty :3 As I asked someone before; how come you call them "he" even though they doesn't identify as a guy?

moondust07x: Well that sounds like cool characters! If you ever get resin bodies for them I would love to see them :)

yumi: Anneko explained this pretty good. There is a great Vlogbrother-video about the whole thing you can find here.

Anneko: Aw Billy is cute ^_^ And go for the skirt! It would look so pretty.

Rockin' Resin Addict: I would love to see a picture of him :3

Chibihaku: Thank you for the explanation! Now go become a professional Wikipedia-writer haha :) I would love to see Adelaide if you get her!

14. I have Rachel. She's still identifying as a girl at the point the doll represents her, since the character is still fairly young and hasn't been exposed to the idea of other options just yet. I will probably eventually have an adult version of the character in doll form, but I haven't thought that far ahead. I'd need to find the perfect sculpt first.

[​IMG]

I still need to do a lot of research on this topic, since I admit to not knowing a lot about it - not enough to really write Rachel a little older with confidence just yet. I don't want to do it all wrong and make people mad at me >.< Chibihaku's explanation was a good start! Thanks! But I know I still have much more research to do.

15. I have boy dolls which are dressed/wigged as girls, and girls dressed/wigged as boys. I did feel a bit guilty for doing this to them at first, like they even care LOL - Or rather I felt guilty dressing a 'boy' as a girl - I have no guilt dressing a girl as a boy since many real life females dress like men and aren't very feminine (as in conforming to the age-old stereotype - which is out of date these days IMO) But to dress a boy as a girl seemed 'cruel' somehow - mainly because in real life males are very much pressured to conform to the age-old macho stereotype - ridiculed or criticised if they don't, from about the age of one month old! How I dress my dolls is nothing to do with gender preference or sexuality though - it's just a matter of which clothes I'd like them to wear - whatever I think looks nice or cute etc. I have managed to convince myself that a tiny resin penis shouldn't dictate to me what clothes my doll can wear. In an ideal World, the same should apply to real life men/women, regardless of biology - it's a shame stereotypes dictate so much and limit so many people in their choices really.

16. I used to have a character who identified as androgynous most of the time, though leaned towards male more often than female, if leaning either way. Sixx had a Doll Chateau male body, and the character was born male and never had any surgeries/mods, never felt the need to. Gender pronouns were generally avoided when referring to Sixx, though no offense was ever taken IC or OOC if somebody used 'he' or 'she'. I also had a doll named Leander, who had a male body (doll and character), but always dressed and identified as female. In fact, many people never knew Leander was a male doll/character, aside from her boyfriends and their owner/players!

Before I got into BJDs, I had an off topic doll named Blue whose character was born intersexed, but identified as male. The doll itself had no particular gender (not detailed like BJDs, and a body of a child/preteen), but the character had both male and female parts, though neither were fully formed.

I no longer own either doll, since the stories kind of fell through and I lost the bonds, but nothing says I'll never have another!

17. @elve my 11yr old has been cross dressing boy dolls in everything from wedding dresses, to tube dresses to bikinis...I find it ok, I actually feel sorry for them :-).
      Im very old school, before the term goth or grunge was defined the way it is now...in my day, guys had no problem wearing eyeliner and dark nail polish. In the late 80's they also wore pincurl hairdos, and that was also a dancehall trend. They were very comfortable with their sexuality.
      To translate that into doll world, I think it's just as awesome, I'm waiting patiently to get a boy dolly, I might just have to get him a bro or two so they could be a crew of little weirdos, that's how I like it, and I'm glad to see people who can do as they please with their dolls openly.
      Now think about this...some little boys play with girl dolls dressing them up etc..how different is that from girls cross dressing boy dolls? It's an innocent comment, so please don't hang me. I just see it all as harmless play, I guess as my moot point.

18. Well, he doesn't really identify as 100% male OR female, so he's not too bothered about the pronouns. Since he was born and raised male, he's used to being "he" and doesn't worry about it, and if he gets referred to as a "she" when dressed in girly clothes, that doesn't bother him either!

19. My newest doll was assigned female at birth, but identifies as a man. He is shelled as a doll with a female body, because there is no such thing as a sex reassignment surgery in his universe, but he binds his chest, which means the doll will be modded to appear like that.
      I always refers to him with male pronouns, and luckily every doll owner I know does the same.