1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling with your dolls: issues/ideas/etc. Part I

Aug 20, 2004

1. Thanks for all of your wonderful replies!

mystical-maz: I agree that "have bag will travel." And you're lucky you both have mobiles and gameboys! The only form of entertainment Drei has right now is her precious violin.

Loki: Thanks for the ideas! I'm thinking of using my mini school backpack that has an extra netting in the back, but I'm also going to pad that area so she won't get harmed. Oh, and I would call it a sweater; my mom would call it a jumper. It's also nice to hear that Aiden, Kitori and Hale were left in good hands during your trips!

Shan: Wow, Mitchell's lucky to have been to all of those wonderful places! (Hope you find someone to carry Shiina in South Africa!) But I would agree about the doll carrier thing; I'm planning on travelling light this year because our SUV always ends up chock-full of shopping bags on the way home. I'll probably be using my mini backpack, where I can also store some of my necessities. But it's nice that you go the extra mile to take care of your dolls and I'm sure it's a great experience to have them with you on your trips!

Arkady: I hope you enjoy your trip to Wales! Your handbag situation reminds me of my mom's many handbags; she can stuff her lunch and an extra pair of shoes in there! Though it's also good that it's nice and roomy. And I like your idea of the swap over; I might do that if I get another doll.

Again, many thanks to all of you who replied! I greatly appreciate it!

2. Oh, I have a lot of handbags - this one just happens to be the latest, though I did buy it specifically to fit a doll in, even going so far as to bring Ayame with me on the trip and size her up against the various bags in Marks & Spencers! (It's this bag, the Daisy Tote, in black - £35 - for those in the UK who are interested.) It's the largest of my bags apart from perhaps my Audrey Hepburn tote, but all my other bags are roomy enough to fit a paperback book in, as I tend to pack my bags full of all sorts of stuff; this means they're all large enough for a doll to sit astride and ride on!

The Daisy Tote is by far the most useful though - especially as in the past I've always had this amazing prpensity for losing umbrellas. It comes with a zip-up pocket that holds an umbrella, so I'm never caught without one - which means I don't have to worry about my doll getting wet! (Or, conversely, getting too much sun as it's a black umbrella that makes a handy parasol!)

I wonder how many other people buy outfit accessories with their dolls specifically in mind? :lol:

3. I'm goin on vacation in, like, two days and I am definatly taking Ani with me. He would hate to be left all alone and I wouild hate to leave him.

4. First of all, that's an awesome name for your doll...

This that I found I needed while I was at animazement this weekend with my doll (and that other people seemed to need as well)

first and foremost: MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER it was a lifesaver and Leech was wonderful and had one on her that i'm pretty sure almost everyone who didn't bring one used at some point.

STRINGING TOOL or a paper clip just in case. I decided to tighten my doll while I was there, but also if for some reason you're taking off a shoe and the S hook or other type of connection turns to much and releases the elastic, you'll definately need something to get it back with!

CARRYING CASE or bag that can go on your back or over your shoulder. If you have to carry other bags, dolls are hard to carry with them...I learned that the hard way...three bags + anya was very difficult.

Alternate shoes/oufits just cause it's fun to show people what they've got!

If you sew, sewing stuff. If you get bored, it's a great way to entertain yourself as long as there's nothing else to do. Just bring like a small project and hand sewing stuff for entertainment! Also, if clothes decide to come apart, you'll need that stuff ^_^ (I had a seam I forgot to sew O_o

hope that helps.

5. I just learned that my family is planning on going to Hershey Park this summer, and one of my first reactions was "I want to bring Tero!". XD Although I have a feeling I'll be to scared to take him out of the hotel room a lot.

6. Mostly on vacations I don't take any dolls. But this year, our vacation is to go to IFDC ( International Fashion Doll Convention) in Vegas, and the whole deal is about dolls, so I am gonna take Armand.

7. Wow, thanks for all your guys' replies!

Arkady: That Daisy tote is so kute! I love how it was designed with convenience, versatility and style in mind; the umbrella on the side is a wonderful addition! I also wonder how many people buy outfit accessories with their dolls in mind?!

leynano: You're lucky that you're going on vacation soon; I still have 4 days of school left + finals. :sigh I hope you and Ami have fun! But just wondering... Where are you guys going for vacation?

Bunnii: Thanks! I absolutely adore the name and there's a story behind the name that spans over 2.5 years-she was originally my alter ego, but I'll save that for another time... Anyhow, thanks for your ideas! I'll be sure to keep them in mind when I pack.

romanesque_gothic: Oo, that sounds like fun! But I'm also afraid of taking Fay out of the hotel room, a lot... Especially with where were going, it's either I hold/carry her in my backpack the entire time or leave her back in the hotel room.

gayle: The IFDC sounds like fun! I hope that you and Armand have a great time!

8. Bunnii's post reminded me! Definitely if it's an extended holiday, bring Volks cleaning sponge or some equivalent, to quickly take off fabric stains and other marks. I also bring along a piece of plastic-coated wire (my cheap stringing tool) and a pair of jewellry pliers (which I use to take their heads off, when changing clothes or restringing). They are invaluable should any unfortunate incidents occur. ^_^

Hope your finals go smoothly, and your vacation, too! ^^

9. Thanks, shan! My finals have been going smoothly so far; I made a Frittata for my cooking practical on Friday and I think I did pretty good on it. Those who tried it said it was good, so I'm happy about that!

10. Ah! I'm glad this topic came up, for I have a similar question regarding dolls and planes.

Next year I'll be going to Japan with a friend. We should get our FCS dolls before we leave (if we find we can't pick them up when we are there) and we'll take them with us. I wanted to take my FCS on the plane with me, in hand luggage. This may seem OT...but has anyone else done this? Did you have problems getting on the plane with a doll?

Its just if they say we can't, that would mean that my FCS would have to go down to the plane in whatever bag I was carrying...and I'm not the least bit comfortable with that!

O.O

Any help would be greatly appretiated ^^

11. I'm getting ready to travel from Florida to Texas by bus for A-kon, and Kaitou is coming with me. I have a backpack that he fits in pretty well (though he has to be kneeling rather than laying flat). For padding I use his two pillows that came with him in his Luts box.. One on bottom, one wrapped around his upper body/head. I only plan on keeping him in there when I have to change busses, the rest of the time he'll be sitting on my lap.

As for accessories, I packed all of Kaitou's nice clothes, fur wigs, + Kage's head (wrapped in bubble wrap!) in a small box (one that Luts sent one of Kaitou's outfits in). That's going in my other backpack.. I also have a small bag with my scissors, pliers (for head-switching), Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, my little stringing tool, and my Testors Dullcote, just in case. Since I'm going by bus it's not as much of a safety risk (I donno how these things would be on the plane).

For the trip he's wearing an outfit with long pants and sleeves, so that his body doesn't get too unneccisarily dirty. I'm going to keep my eye on him the whole time, though, and I hope our first trip goes rather uneventful. ^_^

12. I took Yukio to Virginia Beach with me last summer . . . .

I mostly left him in the hotel room . . . but he was there ^^;;;

13. Well, I took Darryl and Luke Alan with me when I went to Montana over spring break, and I took Darryl, Talon, Luke, and Aiko to Sakura-con with me for the doll meet there.

I also plan on taking at LEAST Talon, Darryl, and Wren when I go down to visit the Redwood Forest in California this July. However, I'll probably break down and end up hauling the whole brood with me.

:oops: I need to get/make more doll carriers by then. Oi. **sighs**

14. SapphireMusings: I'm sorry that I don't have any info about traveling on planes, but I'm sure someone here can help you!

KisakiSama: Have fun at A-kon! And thanks for the tips; I'll keep them in mind for both trips!

Edan: At least Yukio was there with you; I'd miss Fay too much to leave her behind-even only for a week-and-a-half.

Kiyakotari: Wow; it must be great to have a whole brood of dolls with you when you travel! Good luck with all the doll carriers, too!

15. I travelled from Boston's Logan Airport, through Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, to Salt Lake City, UT with four of my dolls in carry-on luggage (small wheel-y suitcase). The only problem was not having room under the seat in front of me for the suitcase. :evil:
      But the suitcase was light enough to tuck in the overhead compartment.

Security gave me no trouble at all--I just had the dolls X-rayed as all carry-ons are.

This was, obviously, domestic flight.
      Don't know about international travel.

Ann in CT

16. just wondering: what did the airport staff think of your dolls?
      when they saw them x-rayed, I mean, I guess it looks quite funny/weird, I know the airpost staff all had fun/thought it was cute when they saw me carrying my big my little pony plushie

17. Whatever they thought--they didn't say anything. I guess it didn't look that weird.

Ann in CT

18. When I go travelling I don't bring my dolls but I think I might bring Dollshe Mai or my petite ai bec. they are small :wink:

19. When I got to see my parents in the country I almost always bring my dolls, I'm bringing one of them with me to Canada next week, and I'm sure I'll bring them to Melbourne when I go (if I can make it) when I get back from Canada etc I can't see why I wouldn't! :D

20. As long as you adhere to luggage size restrictions, there should not be a problem. I've brought a doll onboard with me several times, on international as well as domestic flights.

That said, for the sake of convenience, I am increasingly putting my dolls into my check-in luggage, well-padded of course, and in a hard box or carrier. I've done this on 12-13 hour flights, as well as a 14 hour flight with a transfer in between, and haven't had a problem so far. ^_^

Someone suggested a really good idea recently on the forum, which balances convenience and doll safety: hand-carry the head, to make sure the all-important face-up stays intact, and put the body (either whole or disassembled) into your check-in luggage.

And I've never had any funny looks from the staff manning the X-ray machine...that I know of, anyway! XD