1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling with your dolls: issues/ideas/etc. Part I

Aug 20, 2004

1. Maybe they're used to seeing tiny bodies in carry-on luggage XD

2. I just took Kaoru to Toronto for an anime con. Though, this summer I'll be flying to NYC. I was just wondering, if anyone has ever taken their dolls with them while flying, what did you do with them on the plane? I'm not so sure I want to take him with me.

3. Hi~
      I'm leaving for HongKong in a week and I'm so nervous about travelling with my doll >__<
      I planned to carry Sapphire in her doll carrier on the plane, but I'm worried about two things:
      1. when I go through the custom (or the scanning thing I dunno what it's called... :(), will I get weird looks if they see that it's a doll? And will they ask u to open the doll since it's strung together? I hope they won't ask me to do that ...... *_*

2. I will call the airline whether I'm allowed to carry such a long bag on board, but I'm worried if it would be a hassle to carry two bags running around the airport?

I would like to hear some of your stories and some advices can really help! thanks! ^^

P.S: if anyone have any experience travelling from canada to asia, can you please let me know how strict is the customs and Air Canada? THank you! ^^

4. There are a few threads already here that might help you:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22383
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20719
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19942
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6261
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2249
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=374

When I went to the UK in March I took dolls and had no problems going through the xray machines, etc.

You can usually only take 1 carry-on plus 1 "personal item" so if I were you I'd make the doll the carry-on (or if you have a doll bag/carrier, just put your purse inside (if you're a small purse carrier like I am it'd work) and then you could still have a regular carry-on too.

Have fun!!

5. They won't give you weird looks going through the various bag-opening checkpoints. I took my mini-me AG everywhere, and airport people never batted an eye. They've seen MUCH weirder, trust me. And they won't ask to you unstring the doll, since they saw through her in the X-Ray machine.

The two bag thing...how big is the other bag? It can get a little cumbersome, especially if you are in a hurry, but it helps if one of the bags has a shoulder strap.(Has flown with a baby...that was an adventure!)

Have no idea about customs, sad to say.

Relax, though! It won't be that bad!^_^

6. Once, some security people howled with laughter when my doll bag, carrying my CH Jun, went through the X-ray machine.

*^^*

Team America, the movie, had just come out, and they thought he was a marionette. ^^;;

That only happened the one time, though. Other times, they didn't even blink. One asked if I was carrying dolls, and I just said yes. I was just really careful to make sure no one squished them in the overhead compartment.

7. I wouldn't say I got 'weird' looks, but I have gotten a lot of oohing and awwing ^^ I fly all time with Alexander and I actually don't even bother with the carrier bag, I just carry *him*. But for such a long trip the carrier is probably a better idea.

I was nervous my first time too but it's actually pretty enjoyable,except when we get on the plane and Alexander demands that he gets to look out the window and so blocks my view the entire trip! I've even had some stewardesses ask if he wants any pretzels or drinks when they come around with the cart XDD

8. "I was just really careful to make sure no one squished them in the overhead compartment."

This is my only fear.

I am taking Armand (dollshe hound) to IFDC in Las Vegas this summer, and in his bag he is soooo long that I know they will make me put him in the overhead. And I am so scared that someone will put a heavy bag on top of him.

I don't care if people laugh, or whatever when I go through the scaner. I don't mind the idea of taking him out or anything else, I am just afraid of him getting brutalized in the overhead.

9. Since it's a flight to Las Vegas it may be a long shot, but maybe the seat next to you will be open and you'll beable to set him in the seat so he doesn't get smooshed @_@ When I had two dolls I wrapped the second in tons of bubble wrap and a sweatshirt and sat her inside a bookbag and put it under the seat in front of me, so at least that way I new where she was all the time and knew that no one was squishing her ^^;

10. When I went to Japan with Gabriel, the checkpoint people in the US were like "OOooooooo" and stopped the scanner for a momment so they could look at him. When I got to Japan they weren't really concerned with me having him, but the Japanese security guy wanted to see himl (just because he thought it was cool) so I opened his bag to show him off. On the way back through Japanese secuirty, you can actually see your stuff on the scanning screen, and I tell you one thing, it looks hilarious when your bag carrying your doll goes through. Because of the strings, it looks as if they almost have a skeliton and you see this body go through... really bizzare looking. But yeah, they won't care. I was afraid they would make me open up Gabriel too... but I think thier machine can detect if the eye-putty is explosive.

11. I stood up everytime someone came by and told them I had fragile valuables in my bag and *not* to put anything heavy on it, please. I am shy for myself, but I can be a tiger when defending my kids.

Grrrrrr.... :daisy

12. Silly random statements about travelling with odd items (coming from a person who travels with far too many props and costumes):

1. If I can at all help it, there is no way in seven hairy eyeballs that my doll will go anywhere near the overhead compartment if it can be at all helped. The bag can go up. I'll put the seatbelt on over him. I can live with that. But nononono...no overhead unless it's nearly EMPTY, and even then I'll probably pull him out as soon as the seat belt light comes off.

2. For the most part, if you tell them that the bag has a fragile doll, they'll usually be aware and watch out...but not always. In that case, you might want to add an extra baby blanket and maybe some bubble wrap.

3. I'm seroiusly considering building a custom reinforced vessel of travel for my little demon when I have him..one, because he's big, and two, because I can make it to my own standards of durability. If I thought a violin case would work...it would be tempting!

13. I took Syra with me flying, last week, or a two weeks ago. Had no problems with her through the scanner, the flight attendants loved her too. I wouldnt worry.

14. Janne said
      "I stood up everytime someone came by and told them I had fragile valuables in my bag and *not* to put anything heavy on it, please. I am shy for myself, but I can be a tiger when defending my kids. "

That's definately what I will be doing if they make me put him in the overhead!

15. awwwwwww
      thank you so much for the awesome links and awesome advices!!! ^^
      I feel so much better about carrying her with me!
      I hope Aircanada is fine with the bag dimension ... ... if not then I'd have to check her in with my luggages :(

I'd better not dress sapphire in gothic lolita dresses, just in case people may think I'm a crazy 20 year old freak >____<

Most people think dolls are cuter when they dress like barbie *sigh*

thank you so much again! ^^

16. The last time I travelled by air was before 9/11, so I dunno if they're any more strict about strange carry-ons, now... but back then I was traveling w/ a carry-on bag & 2 stuffed rabbits more-or-less the size of a BJD (I was only actually carrying one at a time... they took turns being squished in the bag). Nobody looked at me twice (and I was in my late 20's at the time). I agree w/ everyone else... they won't ask you to unstring the doll, 'cuz they'll be able to see that there's nothing in it when it goes through the Xray.

That same trip, I was wearing a jacket that I'd ripped all of the seams open on, then re-attached them w/ many, many safety pins (ooh, punk chic! ;} ). Every time I went through a metal detector, I'd set it off, & every time they'd ask me if I had any weopons, keys in my pockets, yadda yadda yadda... You guys think it *might* be the half a pound of safety pins I'm wearing? ;P

17. hehe. I had Hale in a volks carry bag on the way back from Singapore, and while nobody in Singapore said anything, the lady on the Xray machine in Sydney gave me a funny look and asked if it was a doll, I said yeah, and she (amused) said it looked scary on the machine because obviously it had inset eyes, and the eyes weren't showing up on the machine, giving it a skull-like look with hollow eyes. She checked that he wasn't made of wood (we've got really strict quarantine laws here) and after I said he was plastic, she said that's fine and that was the end of it. I think she was more amused then anything else.

I'm sure you'd be fine wiht a doll bag on Int'l flights. The girl at the domestic desk said that the bag was too big when I rang, but I had no trouble on the int'l flights with my backpack and the doll bag. Just fit it into the overhead locker, and make sure it goes on top of everything else! ^_^

Have fun!

18. Love that, what a great soundbite. ^__^ That describes me to a 'tee', too!

19. So, I'm leaving for England tomorrow for ten day long trip. I've never been, so I'm pretty excited. The one thing that's been weighing on my mind recently, though, is what to do with Yuki. I'm the kind of person who takes him everywhere with me around town, so I'd like to bring him with me. But there's always the vauge nagging worry that he'll get stolen or something if I leave him in the hotel room. I haven't been able to come to a definite decision, so I figured I'd ask everyone here. What are your feelings on bringing your dolls with you on trips?

20. If were you staying with family, it might be okay.. but to be that nervous about leaving him in the room now you've made me neurotic! :oops: If you're worried about that, I would leave him home, and bring him home a souvenier and beg for forgiveness. >3