1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling with your dolls: issues/ideas/etc. Part I

Aug 20, 2004

1. I expected trouble when Krina came to Florida with me on spring break, but was pleasantly surprised. She was in her ResinSoul bag, which in turn was in my carry-on backpack. The moment my pack went through the scanner always made me nervous, but she went through in both Hartford and Orlando without incident. Maybe they're jaded. xD

2. I had one in my backpack at the airport... they scanned it through and then the lady picked it back up and scanned it through again. Then she called another security person and they pointed and talked about it for 5 minutes. I swear they thought I had a little man in my bag. >.>

3. I traveled by plane with my MSD back in October of 2011. What I did was wrap him in the blanket he came with and put him into my shoulder bag, along with my keys/wallet/ect.

The bag had to go through the x-ray of course and the x-ray technician gave me an odd look, but that was the most of it. They didn't stop me or anything.

On the plane I double checked on him to make sure his face-up was still alright, but I didn't pull more then his head out of the bag. He was fine the entire trip, even though I switched planes.

One thing I suggest, however, is to remove the wig and clothes and carry them separately. When I took him out after arriving, his clothes were terribly wrinkled (which was terrible, as they were the only ones I had with me!) and his wig was extremely messy. Thankfully it was a fur wig, so it was fixable, but I couldn't imagine what it would be like if it weren't!

4. I'm also quite worried about travelling with my dolls, I might be moving countries in the future and a bit worried about how to pack my dolls><

5. I think the only place I would take any large BJD is Japan.
      I had a close call last Thanksgiving. I had brought my first doll, an SD girl, with me to said town/hotel before, but at the time I just didn't feel like protecting her from my nephews/housekeeping. On that trip, the hotel burnt down while we were away eating with family. I lost everything I had brought (laptop and school books/notes being the priciest
      :doh), as the building collapsed (we were staying on the very top floor). Turns out the hotel was not responsible for compensating guests due to icky insurance liability claims. Luckily, my parents insurance covered our other possessions.
      Side note: That hotel allowed pets, which none were harmed thanks to the bravery of the employees who checked all rooms for animals. Usually we bring my dog, who we just so happened not to bring that time. O__O I got so lucky.

6. I've brought a tiny with me to Japan. I thought it wouldn't be much of a trouble, but then I forgot to factor in that I planned to do -a lot- of shopping. Then combined with the fact that there was not a lot of time I wanted to take pictures + bringing the doll about would mean my bag is very bulky/big, my doll just ended up room-sitting my hotel room oTL

I keep my doll in a padded bag inside my handcarry! Didn't face any problems at all :) But there was a constant worry that what if something breaks during the flight XD

7. I have travelled with at least one doll a few times before. When flying, I always take them in my carry on luggage. I had a doll carry case with me on my last trip to Brisbane, and when it went through the x-ray machine, the security guy through it was funny, and called me over to look at the picture. xD My dolls looked hilarious all curled up together. Haha.

8. I would only take tinies on vacation with me, like Pukifees. That's the perfect size for travelling. Everything bigger than them is too tall for me, I need a doll on vacation that is easily to carry around and fits easily into my bag :)
      I would only take tinies on vacation with me, like Pukifees. That's the perfect size for travelling. Everything bigger than them is too tall for me, I need a doll on vacation that is easily to carry around and fits easily into my bag :) I never had one with my when I travelled by plane, though. I'm sure that could be a funny experience^^

9. That would depend on where I go. But I think I couldn't decide which one to take anyway, so I guess they'll just stay home together. ^^

10. i don't know if i would ever concider traveling with my dolls unless is for the purpose of taking photographs on a specific kind of scenario, like the beach for example. other than that i think they are staying home. first i'll be too lazy to carry them, and second i'd be scared to death of them getting damaged

11. Since I collect dolls there is no money left for vacation anyway :sweat
      But if I'd ever go on vacation again, I'd surely take at least one of my dolls with me. I love the idea of taking pictures of my dolls at foreign places. I would take a tiny and also SD sized doll with me, depending on the trips I'd choose which one is safer for taking with me.

12. I don't think taking one doll with you on vacation is a problem if you don't mind having it with you all the time. I wouldn't trust just leaving it anywhere. Hotel, bag on the beach, etc. Think about it like traveling with a pet. You have to make sure you are ready to be taking care of it all the time.

13. I always take one or two of my doll when I go to vacations .
      I prefer take tiny doll ;-) I never had any problem ^^

14. I don't really take a doll with me on vacation unless it's for a Con.
      Not sure if I'd take a doll with me on a 'normal' vacation. Doubt it, kind of, unless I knew I'd be near a place that's perfect for a certain shooting and I wouldn't have that in my own area.

15. I'm planning on taking one of my smaller dolls, Damien, an AOD LeLe with me when I go away in September. It will be the first time I've brought a doll on holiday before and I'm hoping it'll go well. I chose him as he is small but not as small as the pukis and, unlike them, he doesn't have hands and feet that could fall off. He's also one of the less expensive dolls I have and I think I could easily replace him or his faceup if something terrible happened.

16. I wouldn't take a doll with me on a normal family vacation with my husband and children. However, if my sister and I decided to take a trip together, just the two of us, I'd definitely bring one, and ask her to do the same. We rarely get to play together in person living in two separate states. :( One of these days I am going to have to take her somewhere with me....

Rini

17. HI,

I did it once when traveling abroad. I must say everyone was starring. From people that thought they were beautiful. Others thought I was plain old crazy! It was amusing in itself seeing the different reactions.

I definitely will do it again on my next vacation.

18. I am going camping at the lake. I plan to take a doll to do some beach pics. I will leave her in the truck instead of the tent though when we go out. I am more worried about the sand than her getting stolen.

19. I think my toiletries are heavy enough for the trips i take. Unless there is a serious cause for my dolls to be there, no , i never take them w me. Plastic melts!!!!!

20. I'm heading over to Scotland in a few years and I'm so paranoid about my doll getting damaged or lost or costing more to take with me that I'm actually having to put off buying my doll until I get there which is a bummer. I'd love to have one now but most of my dolls will be SD and they'll be a pain to move overseas. I'm pretty tempted to buy a puki puki though, Ante is totally calling out to me and I think I could make sure she's totally safe.

The key's probably in packing it well so it's cushioned and secured, but it's still scary.