1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Treat dolls like children, friend, or simply just as an inanimate object?

Mar 28, 2011

1. Not sure how I treat them. Maybe as an inanimate object but also a friend or just something to spend time on? I mostly keep my doll on a shelf and really only take him down to take pictures or maybe comb his hair. Sometimes I move him to my desk just to stare at him for a while or to keep me company while I'm busy. I think about him a lot but I try not to mess with him so much for whatever reason. Can't say I've tried talking to dolls, talking to any object makes me feel weird. :sweat

2. They're inanimate objects to me. But living alone and being used to cats and dogs that I do talk to it doesn't seem at all far fetched for me to talk to my dolls in the same way as I talk to my pets. I mean, I also talk to my fish and I know for sure they can't understand and maybe can't even hear me... So I don't feel it's weird to talk to a doll.

3. With each doll they start off as an inanimate object— a ‘hunk of expensive plastic’, mostly. But after a while I get super attached to some of them, mostly after working on them for a while, handling them, and learning about them. I try my best to think good thoughts and put positive energy into them while I work on them or do maintenance, but sometimes a doll never becomes more than an object while another becomes something more than just a doll to me!

4. I would say I treat my dolls more like pets. I love them and will play with them some, but if I ever talk to them it's just to tell them how pretty they are.

5. I treat mine as very expensive objects, not going to lie if I were to give them personality or treat them otherwise I think they would severely creep me out ..... I like to take them out and dress them etc because they’re pretty

6. Inanimate objects.

7. That gave me a giggle haha, I want everyone to see mine but everyone around me seems to be terrified of dolls

8. I treat my boy doll and my floating head like prized possessions and talk to them occasionally, but that is only because they aren't complete yet. My Resinsoul Mei on the other hand, is my precious little girl. She is definitely treated like a member of my family! Even my sisters get her furniture and props they think she would like.

9. My dolls are objects for me. I don't give them a name.
      I dress them nicely, I put them on a shelf in a natural position.
      I like to look at them but I never speak to them or things like that.
      I use to speak to my rabbits or even my plants because they are alive, but not my dolls.

10. i treat mine like an affectionate pet maybe :lol: i would talk to my cat in the same way that i talk to my dolls sometimes. you know, stuff like "what are you doing?" if they fall over. "stay still, i want to take a picture. fine. be like that. you're not cute"

i have no idea if that's strange or not. i'm influenced by the fact that my dolls are ocs or character inspired as well.

11. To me, my dolls are inanimate objects, but they are shells for characters which are very dear to me. I don't talk to them, but I do change their clothes and take pictures with them. But I also plan to have them out on display as soon as I can move into a slightly bigger apartment than the one I have now. Not so much friends or pets, but certainly more than inanimate objects such as the artwork on the walls. Maybe mire like my books?

12. I treat my dolls like they are my children, even though some of them in character are fully-grown adults. Part of the appeal of this hobby for me in the first place was having that aspect of bonding, which seemed much more popular in the early days. Any time I take my dolls somewhere outside the house with me, it makes me feel closer to them. My memories of my dolls over the past fourteen years are halfway between memories of times with friends and memories of writing stories, and those memories will always be a meaningful part of my life. At home, I will sit with one of my dolls in my lap or near me while I am reading or studying, or carry one with me if I take a walk on my property.

13. My dolls are inanimate objects for me. I love them because they are beautiful but I love them as objects.

14. I treat my BJDs like I treat most inanimate objects that are special to me. I treat them with care, and sometimes I say something soft to them like I would my cat, it's just fun and nice to do. I don't have conversations with them.

15. Somewhere between inanimate object and uh, maybe pet. He can spend months, even a good year on a shelf without me thinking much about him but sometimes I feel like taking him down and keeping him on my lap while I watch youtube before work or play video games. I don't really talk to him outside of when I'm working on, and I talk to him the same way I'd talk to my plants in the garden or my laptop. At least my onions are alive, but not exactly animate... But yeah. He's plastic, but special plastic that sometimes I hug. Not my "baby" or whatever.

16. I guess if I had to say the best way to discribe it is that my dolls are existintions of myself. Who live precariously in their own world experiencing the things in live that either I am unable to have or have not experienced and never will.

17. And bodies I don't have! :lol::lol::lol:

18. I see my dolls as inanimate objects, but at the same time I am attached to them. Buying stuff for them, dressing them, taking pictures, naming them and ect helps me "bond" with them in a way that is a little hard to explain. They are definitely my prized possessions.

19. Inanimate object ... with a personality ;-)

20. I treat them like my children. Except I know they don't actually go anywhere when I go to work.
      I get clothes for them, sometimes a little prop here and there. I'd talk to them when I get home. Of course they don't talk back, but it's the same with teenage real life kids, right? lol.