1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Troubling language regarding skin tone

Dec 31, 2020

1. I would send them a message. Maybe even with some better fitting names for the skin tones? I think it might have bigger success, if they can go: oh yes the name fits and sounds nice. Instead of them having to search and discuss new names. Maybe you can find one or two names in context of the intented story line they want? Or overall. ^^

2. I agree with most of you're saying here, but I wanted to a add a couple of tips about the language barrier.

Keep in mind that most Asian companies don't have an official translator working with them, some don't even have count with anyone fluent in English on their staff, so it's quite common for them to oversimplify their descriptions and character's stories, causing texts as the one the OP mentioned.

On this same topic, my experience when dealing with BJD companies tells me that if you try to contact them with a whole wall of text they will simply don't read it. They're more than likely translating your text to their language with an online translator, so it's better to be direct and use simple phrasing.

3. may i ask what company posted this?

4. As an Asian, it’s only the tip of the iceberg of how rampant racism is in Asian culture. Im a bit of a pessimist about these matters but just don’t be surprised if they don’t care.

5. Also, for everyone saying this is racism, technically it is discrimination against color, not racism. It is not targeting a direct race, but rather "darker skin" which is something that is seen in MANY different cultures throughout time. At one point in time, many cultures thought that pale/white skin (like the kind that has never seen sunlight) was seen as a status symbol...like you didn't have to toil under the sun in the field, and thus your skin was creamy/pale. Even in cultures with predominantly melatonin-rich skin, there has been an emphasis on paleness being beautiful...but not from a racial standpoint. I actually watched a documentary on how some Jamaicans bleach their skin to extremely dangerous levels because 'pale is beautiful' versus their naturally darker tones.

I'm sure some people are going to scream "but it's racism because they don't want to look like darker skin tones" and, to a degree I'm sure you are right, but at the same time it doesn't always stem from such a place. The company is not saying the doll is ugly because it's (ethnicity/race here)" which would be racism. If the doll's race was naturally blue and the side effect made them darker blue it would still belong to the same race, but the darkness would be the negativity, not the race itself.

6. @errinreynolds I think what you're trying to point out is that it is more accurately described here as "colourism" which is a pretty universal thing (unfortunately) but can be more..overt in Asian countries. However, colourism is often racist by extension, since there are races that are all people with darker skin; but yes it is consequence of the larger issue which is colourism.

Unfortunately OP this seems like nothing out of the ordinary if the company is Asian, like others have been saying. In China I have heard common phrases and jokes about literally white washing people that I don't dare repeat. Skin bleaching is also a larger industry there and it is standard to wear foundation that makes your face lighter than your actual skintone. Colourism is deeply embedded into the culture. I guess what hurts the most is the fact that much of the time, it's not intentional but just taken for granted that the world works that way, because of the social environment many of them grow up in. A lot of people in Asian countries literally don't know better, but of course it depends on where you are. With all of this being said, there are totally people across Asia who aren't racist and promote anti-racism and anti-racist action. It's just that the expressions of racism and colourism there can often get away with being more obvious, for a lot of reasons.

7. Company response:

“Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Currently we are in vacation so I will remove the part as soon as we get back to the office.

Once again thank you for reaching out to us and happy New Year!”

Let’s see if they do. I understand people want to know what company it is, I’m not going to post it here and potentially cause a massive witch-hunt. If people want to discuss this with me privately by all means do so.

Have a fabulous New Year!

8. Light = good vs dark = bad is mythology coming from a time in human evolution when we *all* were still dark skinned, and it lives on as a motif in today's fantasy literature etc.

Fight racism wherever you can, we all must - but this isn't it.

9. I agree with @Mandagore. I completely understand how it's easy to be offended by this sort of thing (hey, I'm Jewish, and I cringe every time I see an SS styled uniform like the ones that so many companies, especially Ringdoll, love so well - yeesh, Hitler, much? And yet I know that's not really what they're intentionally going for), but I think that in this case, while easily interpreted as negative, in the company's eyes it's just the skin color reflecting the soul...like 'their skin turned more and more green, the more envious they became'. Dark equivocates evil in almost every mythology. Not that that they're saying people with dark skin are evil, but people with dark souls are evil.

I see a lot of dismay regarding skin tones, such as 'normal'...and I think people have every right to be disturbed, worrying if that indicates that everything else is somehow not normal. But...I'm pretty sure it's just an expression of the baseline color - as in, this is our standard (i.e., normal) color, plus we have the following colors. Beautiful white is an ancient Asian stylized perception of perfection, which is why Geishas painted themselves so - it's not like anyone can actually be that flat, white tone. I've also seen people offended by naming a resin color tan, as well. What? Tan is gorgeous. I sit out in the sun every summer in a most unhealthy way to achieve it. :XD:

I think it's great that you've contacted them and they're so open to a customer's concerns - and for the sake of the happiness of yourself and others who feel the same, I hope they comply - but honestly, I also think people read way too much into these things. Sorry, but I'm a devil's advocate by nature. :sweat

10. Yes, light vs darkness is an ancient human theme, but I think the issue here is the particular way it's expressed - turning one's skin from white to an actual human tan shade and being described as something that's "suffered." Especially given the wider context of colorism in Asian culture (something I've experienced firsthand as an Asian) I don't think the troubling implications can be dismissed so easily, and I'm glad the company was open to changing it. They often use language like this out of ignorance but I find a lot of companies and artists are quite willing to listen if they're informed of the problem. Like Sio2 changed the name of their "normal" color because of feedback.

I do think saying "it's just their culture" is a bit of a copout. It's an explanation and we obviously can't expect the same standards across every culture, but the BJD hobby is a global one and these Asian companies are selling internationally, so I think it's fair to consider how things would look to a wider audience. Hopefully as people become more aware of these issues colorism will become less of a problem worldwide (and it absolutely is a global issue, look at the huge amount of business skin lightening creams do not just in Asia but India and Africa as well. That's why I think it's always worthy to at least discuss even if it may seem minor.)

11. Not sure I understand. Are you saying that people should change their cultural standards of beauty in order to become more PC? That's not happening. Each person's aesthetic is their own, and demanding that they say otherwise is demanding a lie. If they change their text to please a wider audience, it's all about the almighty dollar. Personally, I don't think colorless skin is particularly appealing, but I'm not offended by people who do. I have a mid colored skin tone and way too many freckles. I am what I am, and I don't care if an Asian culture finds it less than beautiful - because the people who love me disagree. Is it so wrong to accept cultural differences when it comes to aesthetics?

12. Yes, because colourism leads to inequality. Colourism breeds racism. Colourism is a bad thing in Asian culture (I'm Asian, I know). They may NOT have meant it, as I said at the beginning of my post, it may be a bad translation. HOWEVER, equating overuse of magic causing the "side effect" of skin darkening, is troubling in its wording. If you want to argue all day that this is "culture" be my guest. Harmful practises are harmful no matter where they come from.

"Light = good vs dark = bad is mythology coming from a time in human evolution when we *all* were still dark skinned, and it lives on as a motif in today's fantasy literature etc.

Fight racism wherever you can, we all must - but this isn't it
      ."

You're right, it's colourism. Still a bad thing. Whether inadvertant or not.

13. Ah well, don't want to argue at all - one can only agree to disagree. I believe that you can change people's words but not their hearts.

14. Here's the full part of the quote FYI

"But they wanted to be more and more powerful
      and got lured to the dark and started to use dark magic.
      And due to excessive use of mana
      they suffered many side effects
      and their white skin got darker and darker."

If honestly you see nothing wrong here, that's fine. I am a DnD player and I have no issue with Drow (dark-elf) characteristics as they are non-human. If you think equating normal, human, tanned skin to a side effect of dark magic isn't inherently dodgy, that's cool I guess.

15. Yes, I read that. Go back and read my original post, not the most recent one, and then disagree with that. It's just what I think, no offence intended. I never meant to cause distress, and I don't want to argue, it's just how I feel on the whole subject. And I really don't care to say more, because apparently it's misinterpreted. So anything further on the subject is the last word, and I don't mind. :XD:

16. No one's upset, no one's angry. I read your post multiple times. I still think you're wrong but entitled to your opinion. Have a good 2021 :D

17. Ditto, lol...it can't be any worse than 2020! :thumbup

18. I can't help but to note the "and" in the last line of that text. It does not actually say that the dark skin is a side effect, it says the suffered side effects and that their skin got darker. That makes it sound like two separate things, the way I read it. I'm not a native english speaker either, but wouldn't that be the same kind of sentece as if I said "I saw many colourful birds and a horse." No one would believe that the horse also was colourful, nor that it was considered another bird, right?

About the "normal" skin tone, while I do agree that it's not a good name for it now, I believe it originally stems from the fact that earlier in this hobby most companies offered only white and a light skin tone and between those two I think most would agree that the light skin tone is a lot more normal for a human than a solid white is.
      By now, though, with all the colours available it makes more sense to simply describe the colours. Personally I don't care if they use food references or whatever, as long as the name holds some information on what the colour it is.

19. This exactly. People are entitled to have subjective taste in aesthetic but we also can't pretend that beauty standards exist in a vacuum free of historical and sociological context. There's a difference between having a preference purely from aesthetic and having a preference because one is thought to be inherently lesser than the other

Anyway I hope the company will rethink their perspective after being emailed. I don't think it is bad to reach out to BJD makers about it and be informative. No actual witch hunts though (as it has been brought up earlier in this thread), that doesn't exactly encourage people to listen let alone change their perspectives at all.

#39 aestellica, Jan 2, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    20. I completely agree with all of what you’ve said. Thank you for saying this :)