1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

True MSD scale size

Sep 4, 2016

1. I ordered my boy on August first or second and he is the Akagi doll 47cm Yair sculpt and I know that 40cm to like 49cm are basically MSD sized but a lot of the clothes say between 40cm and 46cm....or 45cm depending on the shop. So is 47cm's really an MSD size? Because a lot of websites consider MSD to be small like the minifee slim msd size. So is my boy really MSD sized?

2. Hmm... this is a tricky question because colloquially, we say that all dolls between 40-50cm are "MSD-sized". However, while we may attach that word "sized" to the end, MSD stands for "Mini Super Dollfie" which is a term exclusive to Volks's BJDs. Long ago Volks was the first company to make BJDs commercially popular. So when they came out with their "MSD" or "Mini Super Dollfie" line, we started picking up a bad habit of calling all BJDs in 1/4 scale "MSDs".

But this is now even more vague because
      1. 1/4 scale = 1/4 the size of a human. But humans vary in height and body structure. While I am 173cm tall, which means a 1/4 scale doll of me would be 43.25cm tall. But I have a friend who is 180cm. A 1/4 scale doll of him would be 45cm tall. People's sizes vary, so obviously dolls will vary as well.
      2. Many companies are now coming out with big baby or more baby-ish looking dolls in 1/4 scale. So while we will call them "MSD sized" colloquially, they don't have any of the proportions of what we've considered to be MSD sized until now. Their height is the same as a standard "MSD" but they're much thicker everywhere else.
      3. In between sizes are becoming popular. I would never consider a 50cm doll to be "1/4" scale because that would mean if we blew that doll up full size, it would be 200cm tall. That is an extremely tall human. Like touching the ceiling all the time tall.

The short answer is Yes and No. Your doll is not an MSD because he's not from Volks. "MSD-sized" has now become a very vague term. Your doll will be considered "MSD-sized" pretty much everywhere because his proportions still fit in with the 1/4 scale. He'll just be taller than the average "MSD-sized" doll.

3. Thank you very much.

Tags: