1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Turned off by a doll sculpt because it seems like everybody else has it?

Jan 7, 2010

1. Dolls no one wants to buy must have something wrong with them? More like there are so many companies, and when only a few gain huge popularity, newer people feel better ordering from them, and then more and more people end up with them because it seems a safe bet. I've only seen maybe... three or four other owners of Bluefairy Emilie. She's an adorable sculpt that I love to bits. The body is pretty too, the problem is it's only single-jointed (but BF is supposed to be releasing a new double-jointed body sometime). Let's see with the other dolls I have - Iplehouse Kyle, I could only find a few owner pics and haven't met anyone who owns him. But he's lovely! I have a DB Dolls Ninan who has blown me away with her incredible posing, adorable face sculpt and elegantly sculpted body... and that was a company that supposedly went under and no longer exists. Their dolls were absolutely amazing. There was nothing wrong with them - why did they go out of business? Maybe people were too busy buying FL dolls to even look at a lesser-represented company.
      I hate to type out things like this, it makes me feel a bit bad. I truly don't want to insult Fairyland or other popular companies because obviously they make quality dolls that people like. But I really do not think they are superior to many lesser-known companies that people only ignore because they simply don't know about them. I would love it if people would explore more companies (and artists for that matter - independent artist dolls are bomb!) and then if they really like that MNF Chloe the best... then go ahead and buy her! Don't stop yourself from buying a doll you like BECAUSE it is popular, but also make sure you aren't telling yourself you like that doll because it's popular. Lots of people having a pretty Chloe doesn't mean that is the only doll that will satisfy you. Maybe you really will like her sculpt the best in the end, but just make sure you have looked around and aren't settling because other people think that doll is cute!

#181 TheBodyVolcanic, Dec 20, 2015
      Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    2. @TheBodyVolcanic - Wow!! Sorry for having an opinion. I didn't know this was a thread where people are NOT allowed to have one. I'm not really going to argue about that. But for your information, I don't care much for Fairyland because the quality isn't stable and there's too many people who have them. I also don't like Volks or Luts because too many people have them as well. I never said I liked a sculpt because it was popular. I only said that I prefer sculpts with many owner pictures. It just so happens that I have two sculpts that are popular - and owner pic were a major factor in acquiring them. And yes...I tend to believe that dolls that people don't buy have some sort of problem with them. But people seemed shocked about that comment since you think I uttered it out of ignorance? I should elaborate, I guess?
      I myself own a sculpt that is unpopular because the head itself has strange proportions and is difficult to find a wig for. I noticed that even people who have it complain about it. I myself am looking for a replacement sculpt as it is not something I can mod to fix. You could say we were deceived by the company pics because they placed it in angles and covered its flaws with a wig and accessories. Because it was the first batch, there were no owner pics. Given a second chance with owner pics, I would not have gotten the sculpt. Even now, there isn't many people who have it. So I would say, yes, the sculpt is unpopular for a reason because there is something wrong with it. Unfortunately...I have other unpopular sculpts in my possession that I have been disappointed with. If there were owner pics, it could have been averted. That is all. Everything said is from my own experience. If you do NOT agree, please do not bash me for it. I respect that you have an opinion that is different from mine. Please be courteous and allow me mine.

3. @yuan_mdx I don't believe I was "bashing" you, but sorry if I came off as harsh. I do not think it was fair that you posted such a blatant statement as "Unpopular dolls MUST have something wrong with them". That is NOT an opinion. That was you stating something in such a way that it seemed you believed it to be a fact. It's fine for you to have an opinion but I don't think the way you worded it was fair at all and I offered counter-examples. Sorry you felt bashed by that, that was not my intention.

4. @TheBodyVolcanic - it's okay...I'll just go back and reword it so it offends people less.

5. I'll probably reword mine honestly >o< I think I probably misinterpreted your actual point. I felt like it was an attack on unpopular sculpts :sweat but that was probably just my own feelings and not your intent

6. I have a resin soul mei and I know she seems popular but i still love her to bits so it is not something I have personally felt so far in this hobby. It will be interesting to see if this changes over time though.

7. I would relate BJD dolls with any other hobby as well as other things such as music and name brand handbags. I think there will always be someone who likes similar things as you do and it's up to you if you like it even if it's "popular" and/or "mainstream".
      Everyone always try to be different and unique but in the end some people are very similar. The end goal, I think, is if you are happy. If you are happy with a doll, regardless of how popular it is in the community then I think you should keep them. If it really bothers you then get something else instead. I, for one, don't have a problem with it however I do understand why some people are into Limited Editions as only you and a certain amount of people have this rare beauty. Maybe if you like a big company's sculpt but want to be different then you can go for those instead.

I think that is the beauty of getting them. It's not so much as the sculpt but how you customize them and how they appear to you. Even though we're all humans, we all have different taste, personality, story, and fashion which makes us different. If anything, I would love to see your Tender Shall's new faceup :)

#187 JellysFancy, Dec 25, 2015
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015
    8. For me it's less so that I'm turned off by sculpts that have a great deal of visibility than it is that I end up paying less attention to them because they are more common.

9. Oh dear, yes! This has happened to mee many times. Unfortunately, no matter how sleek the customs are, the more I see of the same mold the more tired I am with it. However, it is also a great experience when you suddenly notice someone who did something unusual and amazing with a popular doll. I can honestly appreciate someone's work even more, when it stands out among millions of other styles of the same mold.

10. One of my favorite girls is a Fairyland F60 Chloe, so obviously not. ;) I get a lot of questions about her at meets because she's often not recognized as a Chloe, and people's reactions can be unintentionally hilarious when they realize they're admiring one. I think popular sculpts are popular because they're beautiful, and that's a good thing.

11. If anything this is what I feel like with the fairyland girls but I've come to realize that a good faceup or outfit can come a long way! I've found myself eyeing a tan littlefee Ante now.

12. No, I don't care one way or another if a sculpt is popular. Sometimes, a sculpt is not popular when it is first released, but then becomes very popular once owner pictures surface, or vice versa. Popularity is a trend, and what was once popular 5 years ago might not be so now. On the same note, I'm not bothered by having fullset dolls either. If I like everything it comes with that just makes things easier for me as I can do all my shopping in the same place :XD: