1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Turned off by a doll sculpt because it seems like everybody else has it?

Jan 7, 2010

1. I buy them if I fall madly in love with them. I don't care what other people have or do with their dolls. If this kind of thing bothered me, I would probably try to sculpt my own.

2. Hey, I happen to think Iplehouse Akando is gorgeous! ;)

But seriously, it bothers me not at all how many people have a particular sculpt if I like it. In fact, I sometimes like it better because then I can see all the different things that their owners have done to customize them and it gives me inspiration of my own.

One-offs, limited editions, and OOAKs are fine too. I think the most important thing is that people buy what they love, and don't acquire a doll solely because it's one that no one else has.

3. I get what I want and if a lot of people have it... well then I get to see beforehand how that doll will look in different style =D

I do not really care if its too popular... I find it really sad that there are a lot of people that do not want anything popular.

Its like saying that, you like a doll, you buy that doll, you love it to no end, all of a sudden its popular, you sell it.

Thats really sad for me. While I like it having ore "limited" dolls, its not because they are limited that I buy them, its because I like them.

4. Not in the least, for me. :)

My first doll was an El- a doll that was common as hell when I got into this hobby (and is still popular, though there are proportionally less of them about these days.) I loved him when I got him, and I still love him now! ;) I also own 2 Lishes- a doll that was so popular, I felt the need to get it twice! :lol:

I do enjoy having dolls that are less popular (and with my 2 Minimees, virtually unique), but that does not detract from the pleasure I get from my more popular sculpts. 9 times out of 10 a doll is popular because it is beautiful, and why should I deny myself the chance to enjoy something lovely, just becuase I was not the first person to get one?

5. It's always bothered me when people say they don't want or like something JUST because it's popular. I've run into that problem a lot with anime fandom as well. If you like something, who cares how many other people agree with you?! I would never let a sculpt's popularity deter me from a doll I really love.

6. The other nice thing about buying a popular mold is price & availability. If it seems like TONS of people own a certain mold, that's probably because it's a good quality for a reasonable price, and you're likely to be able to find it very easily (as opposed to endlessly searching for a rare mold and paying top dollar). This is an expensive hobby, and when you find something for a good deal that is really attractive... of course that's gonna be popular.

I've always been a fan of "do what you love". If you love and El or Chiwoo... who cares if a message board full of people you may never meet also have that same doll...

7. Wow, but it does kind of bother me that so many people seem to have a problem with those who do care about popularity/uniqueness. It's not like it's a bad thing if someone finds the commonality or rarity of an item to be important. It's just one other factor that some people take into consideration and others don't. Just like some people care if they wear the same dress to a party and others wouldn't mind if they went to a school with identical uniforms. Being different just for the sake of being different can have its own merit. Not caring at all either way is also cool of course.

What I do like about being artsy is that I'm capable of making things completely unique and special, one of a kind. Like faceups. If I could learn to sew, that would be awesome too. I'd love to make my own clothing designs (though that's probably far off, haha) . But I do like learning about popular things since they usually have a reason to be. At least in most things, like video games or movies; whenever I see some popular doll sculpts for the first time, lots of times I think 'wow, why is that so popular? I don't like it at all!'

<3 ali

8. I love the idea of having an OOAK but buying a popular doll and puting on a different wig, eyes, clothes makes it to a certain extent an OOAK.
      Although I do like the idea of owning a doll with a one of face up and body blushing, just to my specifications.
      I would love to do that myself to a limited edition doll but am sadly not that talented.

Orion x

9. Well, another way to look at this - since I'm fairly new to BJDs, I was in two minds about the doll I bought (Honey Delf Candy) because nobody else seemed to have one, and I was worried that there was something wrong with them that made them unpopular :XD: Now I have her I know this isn't the case, but for a while I was tempted to go with a Littlefee JUST because lots of people had them, so I assumed they were good haha in the end I'm glad I went with the Honey Delf because I love her to bits. Maybe I just have strange taste because I seem to be attracted to sculpts that not many people have :sweat

10. The popularity of a doll is not something to sway me one way or another. I'm one of a few people on this board with a Soulkid Katie.A, and one of many with a Kid Delf Bory. If I love a doll, I'll do my best to obtain it; it only sucks when it's a popular limited. :sweat

The only way I can think of a way where I wouldn't want a popular doll is if a friend has one (with the exception of one), because if I can see it in person, that's almost as good as having it. :>

11. For me, it's not so much everyone else has it. But if I see it so often in so many threads/doll meets, than it starts to lose it's appeal for me. It's like falling in love with a sculpt only to find out a few weeks later, it doesn't have the same "shine" anymore.

12. Nope, since I do have SIX Els. :lol: As many others have said, all the Els (and Shiwoos, Borys etc) are different looking. Even my twin Els look different with their default faceups.

13. Exactly how i feel. I may start out being very enamoured with certain new release sculpts, then after tons of people get them and post their threads featuring them, I sometimes lose interest. There have been exceptions though. There are a few fairly popular sculpts that I like enough, that I still do like looking at them periodically. Especially if the owner styles them really well and/or uses creativitity in the way they present them.

14. Six?! I'm impressed! :D

/random

15. I like what I like and that's all. I have three dolls and one more coming. One of them is a limited one and when I discovered her I didn't know that fact, so telling this, everyone can have their own idea. I'm in the hobby but I try to be a bit out of it, I'm not quite aware of some dolls and obviously, their prices and owners, so it's impossible for me to reject a model just because it's a popular one.

16. Well, I've sent my Tender Shall away to have her default faceup changed. I guess seeing that other Tender Shall with default wig and faceup finally pushed me to do it. I'm not the type of person who tries too hard to be different, though. I wouldn't give my doll a bizarre faceup and mulltiple tattoos and piercings just to make her stand out, and I don't do that to myself either (although I find that people who do that to themselves and their dolls are cool.)

I find the idea of making my own doll sculpt appealing though. If I had the talent I would. If I had all the money in the world I'd commission a doll company to make a one-off doll sculpt just for me, LOL! I think I see my doll more as a child of mine rather than a thing I own (although this would definitely change when or if I have REAL children). No two human facial structures are exactly alike (except maybe for identical twins) and I want it to be the same with dolls, but I know that's unrealistic so I'll just have to rely on modifications.

17. Not at all. Buying a doll that you have researched and love is going to be a decision you wont regret. NOT buying that perfect doll just because a handful of other people have it too is something you're likely to regret. With so many ways to customize it and make it your own, by the time most people are finished with it the doll sculpt is nearly unrecognizable anyway! :)

18. I don't think a sculpt has ever turned me off because alot of people have it, all-though having a doll not alot of people have is fun too. Let's say I've never looked away from popular sculpts hehe. All-though I have been turned off by alot of the male dolls looking very androgynous which is why I mostly have females :)

19. Almost every DOD doll turns me off except for Kirill, since I fell in love with him at first sight.
      But year, DOD... I cannot see them anymore x_X Especially Shas and Camines. Sorry but they are everywhere and they always look the same.

Oh and DZ Mo is everywere too. And since he is available in SD now, he will be even more everywere Q__Q;;;

20. First reply on the thread, but I think this sums up my feelings the best!

I used to own a Fairyland Esther head that I planned on using, but ended up stashing it in a drawer for ages. At some point I searched for Esthers here on the board, just to see what others had done with them, and there was not a single one. In fact she was only mentioned in a thread about ugly molds. I was then inspired to paint the head I had and photograph it, not because I wanted to be cool and different, but because I wanted to show that it had potential. I actually hoped it would inspire other people to get Esther themselves.

So, I enjoy it when molds I like are popular. Then I get to see more of them. :P