1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Turned off by a doll sculpt because it seems like everybody else has it?

Jan 7, 2010

1. Actually I think that's a pretty silly reason to not have a certain doll or to have one for that matter. Who cares what dolls other people have? If you like the sculpt that's all that matters. Two of my best friends & I all have several of the same dolls because we all really like them.

Plus these dolls are so customizable that your doll doesn't have to look like anyone else's out there. Even just a simple change of wig, eyes & clothes can make a huge difference in how each doll will look. And in the case of one of mine & my friend's dolls, I enhanced her a little bit, added eyeshadow & darkened her lips & the two dolls bore no resemblance to each other any longer.

But really, I think it all boils down to why do you care whether your doll is a popular one or not? I have dolls that are or were quite popular & others that few have even heard of. It doesn't matter to me. As long as I love & can afford it, I'll buy the doll.

2. Yes, I understand. I had a favorite band, AFI. I loved them to death, until thier last CD they sold out. I do not express my love for them anymore because I do not want to be lumped in with the huge group of people that only like them because it is cool to do so, but when they are forgotten I will still be there loving them.
      kindof OT, but I imagine that would go for a doll too. If I really liked it I would get it, and if it bothere me that alot of others had it I would simply tell myself I would still love it when they forgot, and then we would see who the real people are. I like what I like, but it's popularity does effect how I flaunt it. Hope that answers the question...

3. I don't think popularity of a doll would keep me from buying one, although I would def put it off in favor of a rarer dollie. But that's more common sense to me, since if I wanted something popular later, I can more likely find it second hand or the company is more likely to be still selling it.

It would never deter me straight out from getting my dollie though, that's for sure. I can make them my own, no matter how popular they are. I'd be cheating myself out of something I could really love otherwise.

4. I think I had some doubts before buying my Lishe because she everyone seemed to have one, but I got past that and got her. And now, even when I see other Lishe's, I don't think that she's a clone; the character and style I associate with make her her own entity. :)

5. I have toyed for ages about buying a Lishe.
      I really like the doll but would like someone to be able to do a very special face up, body blushing, small tattoo, piercing the lot. Then I would feel she was mine.

6. I'm not sure if I've felt that way before. Of course I've fallen for a limited or two (like the Esthy Peroth head and some of SOOM's monthly dolls), but it's not really because there's so few of them. It's because that particular doll appeals to me. And if I really wanted the doll I wouldn't care how many there was. It would still be different than all the others - even though they look the same, still be the character I created and I'd still love him/her all the same.

7. If there's ever going to be one hard and fast rule in this hobby, I really think it ought to be "Buy what you love".

Seriously, why bother about what other people have in their collections? Why let everyone else's choices dictate yours?

You're the one who's going to be looking at that doll every day, right?
      You're the one who'll be footing the bill.

So, why accept or reject a sculpt that you're attracted to simply based on rather or not other people think it's worth owning? Their dolls and their choices =/= your dolls and your choices... and I say this as the owner of both dirt-common dolls (A couple of Els, a whole tribe of Shiwoos, a School A and a Heliot-) as well as a few relatively rare ones (Eden, Kum Ran, Sphaler-). :lol:

8. You can spend a lot of energy trying to be different from the norm, but when it comes down to it, that's allowing other people to dictate how you think. If you want to be true to yourself, you'll buy what you like and the heck with other people.

One advantage of seeing the same doll everywhere is that you can see lots of owner pictures, and get a better idea of whether you're going to like that doll. :)

9. I loved the Bory mold, and when I bought mine and entered the Luts waiting room, I found out that a TON of other people were waiting for Borys as well. I though how awesome it was that so many other people liked the mold. ^_^ I was fun talking about it together.

I don't care if everyone else has one, because I love the mold, and that's all that matters. If someone else came up to me and said "You only bought that one because it's popular!" then that person is the idiot, and I would just ignore them.

Alistair is going to be a Luts CP El, and I'm friends with about 5 other people with Els. It doesn't change my choice, and even made me see how beautiful that mold is. By general rule, something that is generaly good or likeable is the thing more likely to be popular, and that does not devalue the doll in the slightest.

10. Letting peer pressure dictate one's doll collection is such a sad thing.
      That goes for refusing to buy something only because it's popular, too (not just buying something only because it's popular).

11. I've always been drawn to the unique things in life, and BJD's are no different. However, I buy the doll that fits me; my personality, my lifestyle and my tastes. If that means I buy a sculpt of one of the popular dolls, it's because I like it. Not because everyone else and their third cousin owns one. It's okay for you to choose to not buy a doll because the sculpt is popular; It's your opinion, your choice and your right.

12. I wouldn't avoid a doll simply because it is a popular mold. Except for my DOC Petsha, I seem to naturally be drawn to sculpts that aren't quite as well-known, however. :sweat

13. I really want a DZ Megi, and I've noticed that a lot of people have that sculpt. But it kind of makes me want to have one more because I've seen all the neat ways people have customized their Megi.

14. I think over a year ago, I was not likely to get into BJD's. No time, other things on my head and they're darn expensive. But then I fell in love with a sculpt a good friend of mine has and decided to get this one too :). And even though it's the same sculpt, there's a lot you can modify even without modding. Change a wig and it's a totally different look :)

15. well I can understand your feelings....

As for myself, I somehow always stuck with unpopular things, not only in dolls, but also in foods, mangas, music, shampoo/soap (yes, shampoo & soap), etc, BUT I don't force myself to hate a popular thing, even in the cathegories listed above. People mostly love naruto, I don't. Not because of their popularity, but because I don't like the story. But many people love doraemon and so do I...

As in dolls, I don't own a doll yet, but the sculpts I love and I want are mostly unpopular.. When Little Monica first came out, I fell in love and researching them further, and loving them even more. I don't expect them to be unpopular, I even thought that LM will be very popular.

Indeed sometimes popularity put me off, like I used to like DOD Kirill. It's not like I hate him now, it's just that he's not the doll I'm going to buy anympre. Not all because of he's very popular, but also coz 'love at first sight' for me usually doesn't last long.

And I usually "poisoned" people around me to like what I like too. Like, I showed my friends pictures of Little Monica dolls and saying "aren't they beautiful? I like them more than DOD now etc etc.." So I think that means I don't mind people to like what I like?

And no offence guys, but I *more* hate people who force themselves to be popular rather than to be unpopular...

So the point is, I think it's okay to feel like that, as long as you don't FORCE yourself to hate what you like or to like what you hate. If you really like something that's not popular, think that as a blessing ;)

16. Honestly.. yeah, kind of. ^^; I mean, when I went to look at Minifees, I thought Shiwoo was cute, but I didn't want to go to meets and have one of like a dozen Shiwoos or something. XD; But it's not like I was totally in love with Shiwoo. I just factored in its popularity when I picked a head.

I enjoy the idea of being able to look at a doll that I might not be able to see all the time at meets. :3 If you think of yourself as part of the collective group of doll owners, it's like you already own all the popular dolls. XD;; So there's almost no need to get them, even if you love them.

17. I feel that way when it comes to default face-ups. I want to try my best to make my dolls as personal as possible, I don't mind having the same sculpts, but when they have a beautiful default face-up that I'd love to have I feel very inclined to look for something else, something I'd feel okay with customizing :/

18. If I really, really like a sculpt, I'll probably buy it, even if lots of other people have it, though, my tastes aren't usually in sync with whatever is popular (not that I even know what's popular! I live in a cave!).

19. I think everyone wants to have something unique, something that's theirs alone. But that's the beauty of this hobby. Even with the exact same sculpt, it's all in how you customize it. Two identical sculpts can be customized and modded and look so amazingly different it's mind-blowing! Some of the popular simple sculpts can be even more unique than the LE sculpts even in my opinion because many of them keep similar outfits and characters to the original, not that I'm criticizing them. I've been trying to choose a first doll for months now and I decided on a MNF Shushu and I couldn't care less that there are tons of them around because I know once I get her she'll be MINE because I'll make her mine. I think it's silly to give up on a sculpt you love just because there a lot around. When I decided on Shushu I had no idea how popular she was. I'm glad she is, it's given me the opportunity to see the incredibly varied ways other people have customized theirs.

20. not ... really....
      i dont mind having the same mold as everyone else but i do mind if i have a doll that LOOKS like everyone else.
      for exemple, i want a certain doll. not so many poeple have it. but most of them who own it, bought him/her a red wig. then i'm NEVER going to buy a red wig for that doll!
      but the mold . no. i have a lusis. everyone seems to have this doll! @_@