1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Turned off by a doll sculpt because it seems like everybody else has it?

Jan 7, 2010

1. May be not the sculpt...but in my case, it's the face up...there are a lot of 'same face up' picked for JID I but so far, I only see 1 boyish style (it's custom request not the boyish style option to the company if I'm not mistaken...I asked the owner about it)...I used to love JID I girly face up...and turned off when seeing it too many...I thought of boyish style, then, but for other reason, in the end I'm turned off to buy JID I (until now)...it has nothing to do with the sculpt...haha...

2. Absolutely not. If anything, it would be an interesting challenge to make it stand out.

3. I sit on the fence with this. There are plenty of dolls I see on the forum repeatedly and I sometimes sneer because there *are* a lot of them, but then I remind myself not to be such a snob. And I remind myself of this because I understand that there must be a big appeal for that particular mold--otherwise it wouldn't be so popular. I just happen to have different tastes apparently. I can't make an unbiased judgment as a doll owner: I admit I aesthetically hate minifees and their overabundance but adore LittleFees despite a similar abundance (and you *know* how popular these two sculpt lines are). So no, I guess I'm not turned off by a doll sculpt because it seems like everybody else has it--at least most of the time.

Boy, I *am* a snob. Lol.

4. I do sometimes get "turned off" by a sculpt that can be perceived as a relatively common in the BJD community. I think that feeling would be more prevalent in me, since I have no face-up or customizing talent whatsoever and I'm going to end up getting the default face-up. That's not my only factor in choosing a doll, though. In the end, I don't want to not get something I want just because someone got it first. My doll and your doll may have the same face, but their stories and experiences will certainly be different, and that's unique enough for me. :D

5. I actually like having other people with the same doll as me. It makes me think that I don't have such bad tastes after all. :)

6. Popular or not - doesn't matter to me. I either like a doll enough to get it or I don't. Whether there's two more people out there owning the same sculpt or two hundred - never mind.

That's how I go with basically all my hobbies. Soundtracks, e.g. I'm kinda collecting them and yes, I am a little proud of owning some that aren't really all that common. I don't like the common ones any less, though. They're all great music. Same with dolls. They're all great dolls. And not getting a doll you like just because there's lots of other people who own that same sculpt is quite silly, imho.l

7. I doubt I'd care that much. If I wanted a doll, I'd want it because I'd like it; who else owns the doll is irrelevant.

8. My attitude about this hasn't really changed much. I find it thrilling to see what people do with sculpts that aren't very common or popular and I decided I wanted to be one of those people. Even though I never get tired of looking at the very popular IH Akando I still don't want to get him because I feel like everything that can be done with this sculpt has already been done. So instead of buying him I just look at all the gorgeous pictures of him.

9. I love the way everyone thinks they're so weird, different, creative, & against-the-grain simply because they didn't buy Popular Sculpt X - and then you go into their profile and see that they own two each of Popular Sculpts Q, Y, and Z. :lol:

Maybe it comes with age, but I purely don't give a crap what everyone else has. I would care if I could, but I just can't. Waste of energy.

I've got common dolls & I've got odd dolls - and every one of them had something special that called out to be part of my collection. Otherwise they wouldn't be here.

10. I do...I get irritated when I know almost everyone have it..it just make 'em boring..
      I like something different...although if I love the doll so much then I will re-think about that..
      And..that's why I love LE doll..because just few will have them..:)

11. +1 to this. I choose a doll because I like him, it's that simple. Anything else can be customized (e.g. wig, clothes). I'm a new doll owner actually and my first doll has the default clothes and wig as the doll maker's (DOD) official photo. But I'm slowly getting new stuff for him so that he don't look so much like a cookie-cutter doll :3

12. Hmm well firstly, if I really wanted a sculpt nothing would stop me. But I agree, unusual and uncommon things appeal to me above anything else - it's the same with naming things and a lot of aspects of my life - so I would find a very popular doll quite off-putting, unless I really did like the mold.

But at the same time, one of the first things I do when I see a scuplt I like is to do a quick check on flick/deviant art/DoA to see who else has them and how they've customised them - but that is basically to see how the mold looks with a different face-up and style so I can see how much potential it has rather than to see how many people have them.

I suppose it would depend just how many people have them and what the doll looks like.

13. I like having people with the same dolls as me too, but just because I LOVE to see owner pictures! I seriously don't care about how many people have a certain doll. Its completely irrelevant. I am not a fan of this trend of stopping liking things just because they get popular!

14. It was almost that way with my migidoll Ryu. I had been pining for one before they became really popular, but by the time I had enough money for one EVERYONE had one! But I was in love with the mold, so I got it anyway, and he's every bit as lovely as I thought he would be. I love him.

15. I love to see owner pics of people who have the same dolls as I do, but it doesn't happen that often with many of them. Sometimes I feel a bit overdosed on some molds because it feels like everyone has them, but it popularity seems to run in phases and there's so many options out there that this feeling never lasts long. It wouldn't deter me from getting a doll I really wanted to see many of them, though.

16. Nope. If I like a sculpt I really don't care if nobody has it or if 50,000 people all have it. I just buy what I personally like. I probably wouldn't pay as much for it if I knew there were 50,000 of it out there rather than zero, but that doesn't equate to being "turned off", it's just economics.

17. Nah.
      I love Chiwoos. Actually the more I see it the more I like it.
      Though when it comes to owning one, it does make me want to work extra hard to make sure he/she has something a little bit more unique. :>

18. What other people have or want does not affect me too much in deciding which mold I get. I own some very popular molds (Volks 4 sisters), but then again I own some less sought after molds (Volks MSD Yuni). Really, I just go for what I like regardless. I do, however, find it easier to chose to buy a doll if there are more than just the company pictures to go on. One issue with liking less popular molds is that there are less pictures to help you make up your mind. However, that has never deterred me and neither has seeing a ton of pictures of a mold I like.

19. It's hard when you like something but don't want to be following the crowd. especially since you want yours to be special!

20. I am laughing here as I think this sums it up for me, too. I'm still new enough at this that i don't even know which dolls are popular. The dolls I own are the dolls I like. I studied BJDs and what is out there for a long time before I made my first purchase. I wonder if some people feel pressured to buy - especially a somewhat limited edition - when they hear everyone else excited about it. This is definitely NOT the right way to choose a sculpt. I find if I am drawn to a "hot" doll, I am probably mostly drawn to the hype. Over time, I've learned to be cautious when that everybody-wants-her-better-order-before-it-is-too-late syndrome. Rarely am I satisfied with my purchase if I get the idea of purchasing because there is a stampede.I also think a popular doll may seem like a good idea but if you see the same doll again and again and are feeling bored with it - then it was never the right choice for you. The ideal doll should continue, over time, to evoke imagination and happiness for the shear pleasure of knowing it's your own. And so, I love every doll that is comin my direction - or is here - and I don't even know if they are popular or not. They are just the right ones for me.