1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Two or Three Part Torsos?

May 23, 2020

1. I'm a three part torso kind of person. I like the extra joint for further posing. If a doll's body only has two parts, it's 99% likely going to be a deal breaker for me. I will go as far as to ordering an old version of a body or a different company's body for three part. This is also excluding YoSD sizes for my preferences, as I prefer MSDs, and I know YoSD sized dolls seem to work better with only two part (I think, again I'm not into the size haha).

2. I prefer two part with the joint right along the rib cage. It’s best when it’s done in a way so they can slouch naturally.

I don’t like two part with the joint at the hip or three part because I love pretty hips on dolls and the break kind of ruins it for me. They might pose better but I feel like they lose a lot of their beauty.

One piece though...never ever again! I’ve owned two dolls with no torso joints at all and while the body was pretty, the posing was so bad they could barely even sit, and it looked stiff and unnatural.

3. Two part torsos. I like having a joint along the rib cage. I really do not like the separation at the hip with three part torsos, that, and every single time I've handled there part torsos the dolls always love popping out of the hip joint :sigh

4. Anything but not one part torso... Not only the posing problem but also a night mare when come to restringing*_*

I love both two and tree part torso equally though.

5. For right now, I think I like two-part torsos better, I have one MSD doll with a three-part torso and I find that extra joint from the three-part tends to get caught on clothes a little too easily and that bothers me more than I enjoy the opportunity for more posing.

6. I like 2 and 3 part torsos so long as they're designed well. I prefer the joint to be right at the bottom of the rib cage as the ones with it "hidden' under the bust usually don't have much movement and look very unnatural when bent.

Really though I'll take any joint as long as it's not the useless cut style joints that have no purpose other than to raise the joint count and give a false sense of complexity to the sculpt.

7. Same here. I don't like that separation either. Three part torsos are in like somewhat my deal breaker ahha

8. I actually prefer the two part with the line around the upper chest, and the long smooth line down the torso. The three part is not necessarily a deal breaker for me, depending how the doll looks, and it is better then the ones with just the line around the very middle of their waist. The middle line ones look the worse to me.

9. I guess it depends? I have a 3 part torso yosd that I love the body on but all of my three part torso SD I dislike so I glued the hip joint together on them. So I guess I only like 3 part on small dolls but for any big ones I prefer 2 part.

10. I'm a huge fan of super posable dolls with a lot of mobility, so my preference is to three-joint torsos--two-joint ones are totally fine, though! I have to echo the sentiment of 'as long as they're designed well,' as that plays a lot into my decision-making, too.
      I don't think I'd go for a one-piece torso unless it was a micro or something similar. In that case, I'm not looking for posing too much as I am just...cute sculpts.

11. I like two-part torsos with the joint seamlessly at the underbust- gives some movement with a clean look. But I do wish for a way to have a poseable three-part torso that didn't look like a slice at the center of the chest. Ribcage joints look like a good middle ground, but I've yet to find one I completely like.

Some dolls have an underbust joint that barely works though and it makes me wonder if it was even worth having that joint :mwahaha If they don't have much mobility then it's almost like a single one-part torso!

12. I like both if I think it looks good. I prefer girl dolls with two part torsos where the joint is right under the bust. Boys look better with three part torsos, but I'm still a little picky about them. Luts Senior65 Slender body looks great, but I'm less excited about the more muscular versions with the lower torso joint.

13. For me it depends if they are well engineered and the hip joint doesn't eat my dolls bottoms. :sweat Otherwise I do like both for better posing.

14. I've always aesthetically preferred 2 part torsos... I'm not a fan of the underwear look a lot of hip joints give on dolls. But I recently got some 3 parters (Doll Legend and Doll Family H!) and they don't look quite as awkward in person as they do in photos.

Unfortunately I still feel like 3 part torsos are mostly superfluous for me, since I've yet to have one that really works well in clothes... if I can't see the joint I always feel like I'm "forcing" it and I'm going to break it. :sweat And if I manage to make it work it will inevitably eat any clothing nearby. So all of my 3 part torsos are effectively 2 part torsos anyways...

15. For me, having a 3 part torso is a deal breaker.
      I remember seeing a doll that was amazing but once I saw it had a 3 part torso, I was like nope, not happening.
      I have to admit though, my fairyline girl is an acception as she is a centaur half the time.

16. Most of the dolls of these kind that I own are very old, so most are two-part-torsos, but I much prefer three-part ones. I own and collect 1:6 scale figures, and I just prefer the range of motion that a three part torso (when well designed) can provide, as opposed to the limited range of a two-part one. Having said that, I prefer aesthetics over posing ability, but if the body looks aesthetically pleasing (to me) and there is a two-part and a three-part option, I'll go for the three-part-torso. The only time I would go for a two-part if the three-part was also an option, is if the joint partings were placed in a way that was unpleasant looking to me. Then I would go for the two-part or neither. I'm very specific about aesthetics and more importantly very weird. (:

17. I prefer three-part torsos if they're designed well, because in my experience two-part torsos don't bend realistically at all. But as is obvious from my collection, that's not a priority. :lol:

18. I love 2 part (or even 1 as my old volks sd10 girl is) and any time I had a 3 part one, It was bending in unexpected moments and required sueding. 2 part are more stiff and, when clothed, when bending, their posing is just as realistic a of the 3 part. Also, when nude, it just looks better.

19. I prefer the two-part torsos with the joint right along the rib cage since I don't like the aesthetics of a three-part torso. I also have no use for the extra joint and usually find the extra point of flexibility more annoying than useful.

20. For me it depends on the doll. I have a few dolls with two and three part torsos that are designed such that the torso joints aren't really functional in any way.

The flexibility of three part torsos is useful, as long as they're like my Rosettes and Minifees and actually really flexible. But I will take a two part that actually does allow flexibility within the limitations of a two part torso over a three part torso that can't actually do anything because there's a giant resin stick sticking up through the pieces.