1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh! He's not a girl!

May 16, 2016

1. Lue has gotten the proverbial "Oh she's so pretty.". He was wearing a conservative three piece suit with a tie and men's dress shoes, at the time. I think he also had on a short wig. I'm not sure exactly what I answered with, something along the lines of, "Thanks, yes HE is!" or "Thanks, but HE's a boy." Something like that... You know, with a bit of emphasis on the "he". ;)

I wasn't particularly outraged or anything, more amused by the typical assumption that "ALL dollies are girls" simply because the majority of the dolls that they grew up with probably were girls. Lol, they are just as apt to refer to him as a pretty BABY too, since many people automatically think of the infant type when they hear the word doll. :lol:

You have to remember too, that very few people usually really actually "see" what they are supposedly looking at, most of the time their expressed interest in something is feigned, to merely be polite.
      People mostly "see" only what they want and/or expect to see when they look. :roll:

#61 JRyu, Oct 20, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    2. I feel like I would be the same way. I would take the compliment and just be ecstatic that someone acknowledged my doll and the work I put into it.

3. Every one who has ever seen my Limwha Mono, thinks he looks like Taylor Swift. I'm even considering changing his name from Tristan to Taylor.

4. I don't get upset about it, because people do it to me all the time.I just gently correct them.

5. Oh god yes, I've made this mistake very recently. I commented in a picture thread on what I thought was a beautiful girl. The person who posted after me was obviously familiar with this doll and referred to 'Him' in their reply. I had to go back and edit my post rather hurriedly. I don't think all dolls are girls and can usually easily spot a boy but I sometimes get confused when there is no mention of gender in the post, especially when they are thickly clothed so no obvious signs. Some of the boys are extremely pretty.

6. i get annoyed with it so much. i dont own a SINGLE girl doll other than my cat, and it makes me angry because they constantly assume that just because my guys have long hair, theyre guys

7. Subtly reviving this because I honestly can't think of a single time this has happened to me (though it probably has and I just can't remember the specific time), and that really surprises me considering Aelic was originally sold as a girl. I switched his body because I wanted the KDF Darae head as a boy (so he never gets misgendered online; I'm just in the habit of saying "Kid Delf Darae boy" on all my pictures of him, because of the change). He has a really sweet face and a cute little smile...? I guess his clothes give him away, because he's always wearing jeans and Vans and either a hoodie or sweater. Plus he has a really light, natural faceup (so no makeup) and short hair (though my mom says his hair is too girly :roll:). I guess those are the qualities necessary for a "male doll" in the eyes of the public???

I really don't think I'd be annoyed if someone said he was a girl, especially if they were complimenting him. Like a lot of people, I'd probably drop a subtle hint in my response, but I'd find it funny too. Aelic does have a sweet, chubby face and he's an MSD, so smaller, so I wouldn't begrudge the person. I don't really care, and Aelic certainly doesn't considering he's made of resin. (Now, if Aelic was a big Impldoll boy or something, that might be a little weird... How could you possibly mistake one of them for a girl? :lol:)

8. I get the confusion all the time - mostly with people I know who aren't in the hobby - that assume my boy Jerry is a girl. My husband actually came in the other evening when I was working on some designs for him and asked why I didn't just buy girl dolls instead. Of course I want to buy girl dolls, but Jerry's a boy! haha his character has always been a boy. A feminine boy, but a boy nonetheless :)

9. My guys (and I only have guys) are fairly often mistaken for girls. It's likely a combination of being very pretty, long hair and their clothes sometimes being mistaken for a dress (quite a few wear kimono-style outfits). For the most part I shrug it off. It doesn't bother me unless someone continues to insist that they can't be dudes. At which point, I'll pants whatever guy it is and that usually settles things (and shocks the daylights out of the one who doubted).

10. Yeah it's a bit annoying (especially if I think my doll is particularly masculine) but I totally understand it coming from non-doll owners. As someone above said, dolls themselves are still usually considered a "girl thing" in society. And even if a doll has distinguishing male characteristics to our eyes, if he has a sweet/youngish face (which many boy sculpts do), somewhat long hair, eyelashes, etc... people automatically think, girl doll.
      I don't usually correct people when they assume my dolls' genders, it's not too big a deal to me. They're dolls, I'm pretty sure they don't mind (even if their characters might :lol:)
      I have actually had one or two of my girls mistaken for boys by fellow collectors, I imagine because of the immense popularity of feminine boy dolls in the hobby. I don't mind that either, it's kinda funny to me. Honestly I just use "they/them" pronouns now when referring to people's dolls (and people themselves) just to be neutral :thumbup but I wouldn't get mad at someone for mistaking my doll's gender. Or mine for that matter. It can be confusing honestly !!

11. It never troubled me and I think it never will. In fact sometimes I dress my boys like girls if I need female characters in my story. (except my 65 cm tall boy...simply because I couldn't find any dress that fits his masculine body) All I care are do they like nice and do they suit my stories (I love staging little dramas so every time there is a whole new story) That's why I don't think the gender of my dolls is important and I don't mind if someone mis-gender them.

#71 Moria_ash, Jan 24, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    12. I honestly don't care if someone misgenders my dolls in passing comments. Its never done with derogatory or negative intent.

My dolls are nonliving objects; they won't be offended.

Its a non-issue.

13. I'm not too fussed myself, but I'm also not the best at guessing the genders of other dolls. Though that might be due to the fact that a few friends cross-dress their dolls regularly, or swap heads designed for one gender onto the body of the opposite gender. Mostly I just stick to a compliment and waiting to see if the owner will identify the gender first, otherwise I'll ask.

14. Agreeing with a lot of folks; people mistake boys for girls all the time (in our collection Kyu, who has a lovely smoky eye look, and Zach, who's a girl mold anyways, are the most common mix-ups), and I don't bother to correct anyone who's not in the hobby. I'm working on a very heavily made up look for my newest boy, and I full expect to just roll with it when people make assumptions! It's not a big deal at all. The only time I correct is if I'm talking to a fellow hobbyist at length, like at a meetup.

15. I'm afraid I'll have the same problem when I'll buy my first male. I like androgynous boys, so I'm sure I'll buy a pretty delicate face lol.

16. Im completely new to the hobby, but this problem very quickly became glaringly obvious to me while I was looking for my first doll.

While I was browsing, I found myself skimming over hundreds of portraits, and about 10% of the time one caught my eye as "pretty", (I was looking for a rather elegant female at the time), it turned out to be male. On occasion this went as far as admiring the outfits and sets only to notice their name with the unsuspecting "M".

I can understand how owners of feminine styled male dolls can get frustrated, but I can't help but think owners should expect it somewhat, as it really can be very hard to tell! Especially with the number of heads I've seen that can be used either way, strongly saturated face-ups and popularity of strong blushing or make-up schemes.

Either way, as I see it, this proves there are plenty of beautifully crafted and finished dolls to fit anyone's tastes and gender preference, one of the big joys of this hobby in my opinion.

17. so i just opened my doll today and he's already been mistaken for a girl :XD: my daddy didn't believe me when i told him amour was a boy so i had to pants him (amour not my dad that would creepy and weird :barf) also i plan on dressing him in victorian era like outfits and a lot of those kinda outfits have frills so i bet this is going to be a thing.

18. Hmm, this has never happened to me oddly enough. Even when my boy (a DollZone Carter) wore a big puffy skirt. I think it's because I always say, "This is my boy, Morose." haha!

19. Just last week I was showing my mum pictures of a Myou doll boy that I was considering getting and my mum was surprised when I said it was a boy because she thought it was a girl, and she'd have gone on thinking that if I didn't mention it. Mind you, he had short hair in the photos I showed her LOL. I found it funny at that time, because of her reaction, but I imagined I would be pretty miffed if someone keep calling my boys "girls" when it's obvious they are boys, especially for bigger dolls, although I might be a little more understanding if I dress him in a way that is easy to misinterpret, like with long hair or flowing outfits. Anyway, I like my boys to be more K-pop kind of pretty than manhunt kind of hunky so I probably won't get that mad unless someone keeps calling them girls even when I've corrected them.

20. My Iplehouse Gentle Soori is always mistaken for a girl, even though he wears decidedly male clothes. But he has a rather feminine face, long lashes and long hair, so I get it but it is annoying.