1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

UK BJD Shoppers

Oct 19, 2016

1. Ha ha I like your thinking Elve, yeah, lets go for it, after all the exchange rate could get even worse.
      "walking from the smoking ruins in a post-apocalyptic UK - but with our arms full of pristine, ludicrously expensive dolls haha"
      Brilliant quote with slightly wild and mad crazy bonkers undertone, that's the spirit. Ha ha.

2. Hi everyone!
      While I'm not in the U.K., I truly sympathize with you! Seeing what's happening here in the US and with you, I've been buying more dolls and their stuff while I can. Reading about your higher costs has made me a little reckless too. :doh

The future seems so uncertain, I'm finding happiness in my BJD hobby more than ever. I really hope the pound starts to go back up for you all, soon! :thumbup

3. Well, I am also really sad about the events in Britain, despite being German. Dollwise, I really wanted to place my final, grand order with Angelesque - but alas, it was too late, Brexit was already through and prices went up.

For the future, we will see what happens. A little part in me (though this grew very tiny in the meantime) still hopes Brexit won't happen. After all, don't we all live on the same planet (who we treat very badly - yes, I see Earth as some kind of entity)?

I also wanted to make a family holiday trip to Scotland next year, but this also won't happen anytime soon. Too insecure. But we shall see...there is still hope in me.

4. ah yes that's a problem for you too ipledreamer :pout:

thanks for the good wishes kurogane - if only we didn't have customs fees on dolls too, there might be some hope :eek:

Mister M I'm glad you appreciate the mad crazy approach LOL - if only I could stop being so sensible *sigh* half a bottle of gin would no doubt help but I don't drink any more so no reckless squandering of money taking place here!

So today I've been battling to persuade myself to buy the doll chateau body I want from jeeryama on ebay.com, as she has a 15% discount sale ending soon, plus another $15 discount for every $200 you spend - it's a good offer! But the body which would have cost (with delivery) a 'very reasonable' £300 less than 6 months ago is now around £375 - and I just CAN'T get over that extra £75 :horror: Not with the threat of customs fees too - the icing on the cake! I'm sure this must be killing trade stone dead.

5. @elve
      Can I ask you about the customs fee issue??? Do ALL dolls from China or other places worldwide get charged customs fees???
      How are customs fees worked out???
      I have not had the pleasure of paying them, yet!!! And I kinda forgot all about them until you just posted it, which causes me some concern now!!! Oops, fingers crossed.

6. @HoneyRyder: Usually there are custom fees onto BJDs. I think that customs know by now what BJDs are and their value. During the last two years, I managed to get only small items such as wigs or clothes through without having to pay customs. But whole dolls? Difficult, I would say. Somehow I got used to add the fee to the doll price.

7. in continental Europe they always seem to get the full whack of customs fees - but here in the UK it varies a huge amount and doesn't seem to be strictly monitored or adhered to. If you buy anything costing more than £15 (it used to be £40 a few years ago - those were the good old days!) it is liable to VAT. If it comes from either Japan or USA you can be sure of getting the full charge due, plus the post office's handling fee, which was £13 last time I got charged a couple of years ago - it may have increased now though, or even gone down. So annoying if you only buy something low cost from America, like a wig - if it's more than £15 total including postage, you'd pay 20% VAT on that, which is just £3 - BUT you also have to pay the post office handling fee too!

If you buy something totaling with delivery more than.... £135 I think it is? you have pay customs & excise duty as well as VAT. Duty varies depending on what you import (just google it if you need to know - there's a big list of categories on gov.uk) I think it's 5% on dolls (used to be anyway). But more often than not, Chinese companies don't declare the value correctly on the parcel, so you won't pay the full amount, and sometimes there's no charge at all, even for a big doll! It's a bit random, so you never know what you'll be hit with till you get the 'ransom note' in the post, telling you your doll is being held captive and will only be delivered after you've paid the ransom! I always pay online and arrange delivery, but you can go to the sorting office and collect if you like. It's best to save up the ransom while you're waiting for the doll to be made though - plenty of time usually. Then if you get undercharged you can buy some doll clothes or something with the money :whee:

8. oh no it's happening :horror: apple have hiked their prices up 20% overnight due to devaluation of £ - an entry level macbook is now £200 more than it was last night!

so having ALMOST checked out the dolls I want several times today - maybe I should just do it, incase they cost even more tomorrow? :shudder

ETA - found this chart - when I bought my doll heads on the 6th of October, they were £1 cheaper than if I'd bought them on the 7th (2% more) and they would now be nearly £3 more than when I bought them. So this chart is worth checking if you want to buy something in dollars. Divide 1 by the number on the vertical axis (today it's 1.21) then multiply the result by the price in dollars - but bear in mind paypal rates differ slightly and there's a currency conversion fee which is sometimes passed on by the seller (Alices do this)
      British Pound | 1957-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast | News

#28 elve, Oct 28, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    9. I had my DollsTown delivered last week via EMS. She was in customs for a couple of days and I read on the tracking that the duty had been revised, I broke out in a sweat. I needn't have worried, a day later it was cleared and with Parcel Force. So, instead of waiting for the paper notification (which I recieved today, over a week later) I rang the depot on the tracking, found out the duty and fees and paid over the phone. I was lucky. DollsTown had stated on the declaration the value at $80 and 'Gift'. What I ended up being charged was £19.52 Import VAT plus £13.50 Clearance fee. £33,02 I thought was very reasonable.
      For anyone in the UK don't wait for the postal notification if you have tracking, phone the depot and pay, they deliver next day.

10. Have you tried John Lewis? They are still the same price.

11. yes that's what I do - impatient :whee: And no I don't want to buy any Apple products LOL - waste of good dolly money :ablink: but the Telegraph found it newsworthy, and it demonstrates just how much prices are changing overnight at the moment in the UK. I think now Apple have done this the pound will carry on going down in value :pout:

Having looked at that chart again I can see that if I'd bought the Doll Chateau body I want on the 6th of October, it would have been £14 cheaper than it is today. So if you're buying something cheap like a wig or a practice head, the price rise won't be significant, but if it's an expensive doll, it will be quite a bit more. Glad I'm not a Dollzone dealer any more LOL

12. @Ipledreamer, @elve , @Mister M ... Thankyou guys for taking time to read and consider my questions, I really appreciate your input.
      Elve, you are a font of financial knowledge and Wizardry!!! Thanks for all the examples and info. I am glad you're not a DollZone dealer too, or you would be off my Xmas card list this year!!! Been waiting on a May order for a stupid length of time now, infact it's been that long the doll I ordered feels like old hat now, heh...
      Mister M...thanks for sharing your recent shipping delivery info, I find it very helpful to hear other people's recent experience. I am now a whole lot less anxious than I was!!!

13. Oh golly gosh, you've been waiting since May, oh that must be awful, I had a hard time waiting for my DT but she wasn't a pre-order and only took a month, if that. I'm glad you're feeling less anxious about the charges and I do hope your lovely Doll Zones arrive soon.

14. thanks HoneyRyder :whee: And only 5 months waiting? I waited 7 months for my last Dollzone doll :horror: Not the dealer's fault though - I ordered direct from DZ as I was the dealer LOL - I think Dollzone and Doll Chateau (sister companies) are becoming victim of their own success - they're just so popular there's a massive backlog of orders for them to plough through constantly - But for the price they really are lovely quality, unusual, characterful dolls - I think they're well worth the wait :thumbup

15. Phew!!!! It's so good to hear that you think they are worth the wait etc...
      My only other new bjd dolls are all Doll Chateau, which took a good 5 Mths to arrive, due to the Chinese New Year ( they said), and have never been disappointed. This is my first DZ doll, so I am really hoping it will be on the same quality as DC. Were you a doll dealer for a long time? It seems a very stressful position to be in, I watch Angelesque and there is always someone moaning!!! He he he

16. no just for a year - till I ran out of money (you have to order monthly with them). It was impossible to compete with Angelesque as people prefer to stick with what they know - tis human nature! And unless you place a really big order, you pay so much in postage and customs fees on one or 2 dolls, it would sometimes have been cheaper for me to buy the doll from Angelesque LOL - I always made a loss. It was fun though - I enjoyed setting up the website and everything. Dollzone staff are lovely to deal with too :hug:

17. I've been able to buy more from the UK since the £ value went down. Normally i couldn't afford to buy a lot of things, because the £ was so expensive calculating to €. I feel bad for you, but i can't help to say i'm enjoying these rates quite much:sweat
      But hey, now that more people will buy from the UK, economics must improve right?

18. I guess it's good for someone somewhere then! :thumbup The good news for us in the UK being a slight increase in the value of the £ today - might not last though, and to put it in perspective it's an £18 difference in price on a doll costing $600 today, compared to a couple of weeks ago - which is a new wig I guess, if nothing else :)

meanwhile I've decided to stick to tinies for now - or mirodoll for larger dolls - and only buy in-stock dolls from dealers or dolls which are typically less than a month to dispatch. I don't think I could cope with waiting 7 months for a doll, only to find I paid £80 more than it's current value :nosebleed

19. and now the US elections are over, the $ is strengthening against the £ again :pout: It can only get worse *sigh*

20. HOW is the dollar strengthing on THAT NEWS!??? it's like the worst freaking news ever and yet markets are loving it? WTH? don't they remember how many times that idiot's declared bankruptsy? and now he's in power? I'm too mad for words. I just... just when you thought humanity couldn't get stupider.. they go and do it. I just.. I don't want to be here anymore. I think i'm freaking DONE.
      I'm just gonna like, move to some island somewhere in the middle of nowhere with my dolls and my kids and pretend like the rest of the world doesn't exist because I can't deal with this world any longer.