1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

UK BJD Shoppers

Oct 19, 2016

1. I was going to say 'Don't worry, it can't get any worse' but........
      I'm not sure which is worse, Brexit or the newly elected US president. On Brexit I feel sorry for the British (I am one), and well..... the US election, I feel sorry for the entire world.

2. that's how I live anyway! :whee: NEVER ever watch the news, or read it - I had no idea the elections were yesterday (or whenever they were LOL) Although I used to be a total news-addict, it made me so stressed and anxious all the time! So I decided that life's too short for me to make myself miserable over things I have no control over! Telly is on all day tuned to either pop music videos or kids cartoons - think happy thoughts! Dance a little :dance Play with dollies :chibi Pretend it ain't happening - I love the very wise quotes from Kung Fu Panda Kung Fu Panda (2008) - Quotes - IMDb

3. I like your philosophy Elve, and you're right, the news and the papers are best avoided. I really enjoyed those Kung Fu Panda quotes, thanks for the introduction I'll take more notice of him than our politicians. Oh.. and play with dollies.

4. I just want to cry.

I think i'm going to transfer some money and buy that doll I was saving for just to cheer myself up because I am SO depressed right now. I just...

I can't deal with this planet any more. I need good things, nice things, positive things or i'm going to just... break.

5. Do it, there's nothing quite like a bit of retail therapy to improve the outlook. Not only that but you will have something lovely to look forward to. Go and have a little chat with your other dolls, I'm sure they can help.

6. Yeah i'm just paranoid about customs. UK Customs are money hungry around this time of year, every year at christmas they open my sister's parcel to me from Australia and charge me a fortune in ransom to receive it. It's just flat out nasty. Which rather sets me against them. I should NOT have to pay to recieve my own damn christmas present and usually the fee is more than the things are even worth! It's mental.

To those who've ordered direct from companies, did you end up paying customs? I'm looking at ordering a very custom Resinsoul (Sun is being very obliging about my weird requests lol) and the cost is fine (it's like £175 including postage for a complete custom colour and clear resin parts) but if customs get their grubby hands on the parcel, it could end up very very expensive and i'm not sure if it's a risk I should take, or if it's better to order through our UK dealer Carol and wait till the new year.

7. yes dollies should be available on prescription :ablink: shame most people are terrified of them LOL - their loss! :whee:

oh yes DO IT :thumbup if you have savings and won't suffer for it, that is! I don't have any income, so once my tiny savings are gone, they're gone - but such is my faith in the future (or stupidity - whichever way you look at it) I've spent nearly £400 of what's left in my bank on dolls this week .... now I put it like that, I've shocked myself LOL - but it has made me feel that huh - life goes on, and it's not all bad! I was SO miserable being sensible refusing to buy any more BJD - fighting it every day. But now I think it's money well spent if it gives me something creative to do, inspires me, and makes me happy and fulfilled. It's like saying 'everything will be OK' and believing it enough to act on it. Yes you could say I'm delusional :cool: You just don't know what the future will bring though, so why worry about it? Live in the present, as Oogway wisely said to Po

8. Well I've had two dealings with UK customs. The first was a gift from the US. The value of the gifts was about $35 and the 'Revenue men' wanted to charge me £65 to take delivery. I chose to send it back to the states and fortunately the sender was willing to post it again. The second time they charged me about £10 plus the 'handling charge', still more than the tax on the true value but acceptable. My last dealings with them was for my doll who arrived about three weeks ago. She was ordered directly from DollsTown and when she was dispatched they sent me a note saying they would put a value of $80 on her and mark as a gift. I ended up paying £32 to the revenue men which again included the handling charge. I was lucky, I think the tax is about 26% so on a £460 doll that's a lot of clothes and boots. I think it's a lottery and quite random, you could be lucky. Either way if you budget for worst case at 26% any less is a bonus. If they do charge more than the value of the item you can provide an invoice and claim a refund from their website. Refunds can take up to three months but you should get it.

9. PS - just seen this post after I posted the above - Customs on that parcel will be £35 VAT + 5% duty is £8.50 + handling fee is £13. Total max (it's never been the max for me) £56

I've ordered lots direct from China - sometimes I get customs, sometimes none at all, nothing to do with time of year or parcel size it's totally random! I've never been charged full whack though - usually it's around £40 max (£13 of which is that dratted handling fee from parcelforce)

I always factor in the full amount of customs before ordering though, and I save up for it while I wait. Like the mirodoll body I just ordered, I worked out what it was including import fees and decided it was still worth ordering. In general Angelesque's prices are good though, and no worries about customs, just a longer wait.

10. Eugh, £56 extra I could buy a whole other blooming doll though. I don't have a lot of money, i've been saving for months so it may be safer to go through her just in case. It means another month wait as she's due to order end of this month looking at delivery in the new year, but given how much I hate christmas, it might end up a timely pick me up to arrive shortly after that stressful and super depressing time of year. A nice start to 2017.
      Certainly her prices are generally good, I mean, looking at the shipping rates it's actually weirdly cheaper to order from her than direct for most orders. I assume because she keeps the prices down thanks to bulk shipping deals.
      Still, it's like $30 postage from RS direct and it's £5 from her lol.
      I did email her but i'm waiting on a reply and a quote for doing this slightly complicated order.

I don't trust customs or parcelforce not to really screw me. I'm just not lucky enough to avoid a huge fee

11. After what happened today, I somehow wish my Avengers Team would not just be dolls, but come alive (although maybe better not, I just could not fulfill Mr. Stark's requirements regarding a laboratory).
      Somehow I feel we are surrounded by idiots owning the highest positions in the world - no, I will not name them, as I do not want to take any risks.

I am still hoping that we discover to really live together on this planet. And I really, really pray to God that Mr. Trump will not check whether his atomic bombs really work...or wants to use them otherwise. After all, these things are just there to impress...nothing more (so yes, I think these bombs are utterly useless, amongst all other weapons).

So I will also play with my dolls and hug them. Personally I am glad that I placed my final order before the US presidential election.

12. Wel guys...I am in total shock too @Purple Monkfish !!! I can totally understand your feelings and wanting to remove yourself from society!!!
      Also, the comment made about Brexit feared for UK, but Trump I fear for the WORLD is very true!!!
      I am very politically aware, and find my dolls are a wonderful antidote to the world of horrors around us!!!
      I wanted to ask @elve about my impending order from DollMore??? I am making payments for him for a while yet, but wondered about asking the company details of what they will do when he is shipped. Should I just let them send him, and see what happens when he arrives, or should I contact DollMore and ask them to take certain measures such as under declare the value?? As I have got zero experience with this matter, I would love to hear what you think? And maybe how to approach the company? I would hate to mess things up, or words get lost or mixed up through translation!!! My guy on order is a big, expensive dude!!! But I have wanted this type of doll and dreamed of them for too long, he he I had to,order through the company, as he is a limited doll which Angelesque doesn't carry.

13. Dollmore as far as I am aware will always under declare without being asked. Personally, I would just let them get on with it rather then contacting them and asking them to under declare, as that is against the law, and that written evidence could be used against you in the unlikely event customs get uppity. You can't be held responsible, on the other hand, for what someone does in Korea without your consent, and there is very little customs can do as long as that is the case. dollmore will choose a lower value that they think is 'believable' - so you may have to pay some tax, but not the full price, this way.

#53 Sillypeach, Nov 9, 2016
      Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    14. yes I agree with Sillypeach - it's illegal to REQUEST they declare a false value (tax evasion), so you just have to hope for the best (and cross your fingers LOL) The most I've payed in customs is about £50 I think - and really it's just another expense for something expensive in the first place - if you think the doll's worth buying, you'll survive another £40 or so in customs fees - soon forgotten when you open that box and see your doll at last. I always save up the customs fees while I'm waiting for the doll to be despatched, so it's not such a hit - just save about £20 a month (assuming an average 3 month wait for a doll) which is only £5 per week - and if you end up with some spare cash after paying customs, then you can buy a wig or clothes for the doll, so it's all good :)

#54 elve, Nov 9, 2016
      Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    15. @Sillypeach @elve thanks for info...my BAD !!! I wasn't aware of the illegal nature of under declaring dolls...still very much a noob...and people talk very openly it seems, about this.
      @Ipledreamer, sentiments very well worded. I agree totally.

16. oooh the exchange rate is 79 today! So shall I wait for it to come down to 70, or will it go up to 85 if I wait? Glad I'm not a broker - it's basically a gamble! As soon as I ordered a mirodoll body, the exchange rate improved - which is typical - it would have got worse if I'd waited LOL

17. Just do it. Throw caution to the wind, live on the edge. use some of your reckless abandon, as you say it can go either way. It's not going to make a huge difference if the rate improves or drops by a couple of points.

18. Oh My, I cannot believe I have just seen this, I paid some off my layaway yesterday!!! :doh
      But I am pretty sure I could have paid it up until Monday...Argh!!!! Like you said this is very much a gamble :chomp: and with the USA news as is even more so!!!
      Definitely a roll of the dice :ablink:

19. well it's probably only cost you £1 more paying it yesterday than today, so nothing too bad :) If I'd bought a £600 doll yesterday, it would be £6 cheaper today - which isn't much - but when I started this thread the same doll would have been £24 more. So day to day it's not a massive fluctuation in price, but it could be quite a difference month to month!

To buy or not to buy - that is the question :?

20. Not so easy when you've no income at all, dwindling savings, no real job prospects, Christmas knocking on the door, and 12 years to survive till retirement LOL - I'm bad enough as it is so don't encourage me! :mwahaha *tempted again*

Just before I got carried away to the land of Doll Chateau on Friday, I had to use my debit card for FIVE POUDS :doh urgently - and then my sensible head muscled on in while I was floundering around unable to checkout my HUGE EXPENSIVE DOLL for want of a fiver :pout: And sensible head forced me to pay a bill instead - so I now own my sofa, dining table and bed :thumbup Would rather sit and sleep on the floor cuddling the lovely doll I almost bought though! Darned convention - forcing me to provide guests with seating :sigh