1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected Lessons Learned from the Hobby?

Mar 21, 2012

1. I've learned that once you have something you really want (a doll, for instance) you can live without shopping for other goodies. Since I set my heart on getting a doll, I've stopped justifying expenses to myself for things I really didn't need, like clothes (I have enough clothes for 5 people) and shoes (I wear the same pair everyday, why should I buy more that I won't wear?). It's like no purchase is going to make me happy until I bring a doll home, and that has taken the fun out of wasting money--a very good thing for me.

2. I've learned to trust people who have never held/palyed a BJD doll before.

And I hope I can learn to sew or make other funny things related to the dolls =D

3. Optimism! Never give up, never stop looking. It's a small world, and a small hobby, and sooner or later you'll find what you're looking for.

The other thing is that BJDs were one of the things that finally motivated me to get a part time job. I'm so grateful for that, because it's taught me a lot of interpersonal skills and patience I can't get through studying, and there's a sense of achievement that comes through earning my dolls myself.

4. Patience and money management. two things i've always struggled with but thanks to my girls, I've done a complete 180!

5. I would say that I learned to establish priorities because I can't afford dolls easily, so I needed to decide which one has priority. Nowadays I do the same thing in other aspects of my life. :)

6. Me dolls have forced to study to photograph, sew, knit and draw. The most important - have learned to be able to wait :)

7. SUPER GLUE AND DOLLS DO NOT MIX. o,o
      Why I tried this... some lady said that is how you adhear eyelashes to doll heads. I found out the hard way just how corrosive super glue is to resin. I was really mad for weeks. I ended up having to sand my doll's face and remove her face-up. It was awful. She still is faceless.

8. I've learned that it is OK to sell a doll that you've spent several hundreds of dollars on. If you don't bond with it, chances are that someone else will. You get to use the money for a different doll (or clothes, wigs etc.) and they get to have a doll that they might not have been able to afford otherwise or that's been discontinued or something. That way two people are happy.
      Patience and money management... Not so much. I cope with wait times by buying my existing and incoming dolls more stuff ;) A very good thing that came from this, however is that both the incoming dolls and their incoming stuff (and finding/making them stuff and such) help me cope with the gruesome diet I've been on for the last few months. Yes, I've spent a lot of money, but I've also lost 21 kilograms so far (3 sizes). So I don't feel bad about spending so much at all! (sorry if this is ot).

9. i've learned to expand my crafting abilities, how to do faceups (an ongoing process) how to blog and am constantly improving my photography skills

10. After looking back at a whirlwind year of dolls, I've noticed that being in this hobby has taught me many things. Some superficial but others that might just stick with me all my life.

I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one out there. I'd love to hear some of the lessons you've learned during your time dabbling in dolls. Whether it be financial or spiritual what kind of things has having a hobby like BJDs taught you?

11. Never say "never" !

Try to make something with your own hands, it's less difficult than you thought !

12. Dolls, like people, really do have their own personalities. Don't try to force them into being something they're not. They might turn out to be something better than you imagined.

13. I've learned not to quit half way, even when things are going bad. The end product always comes out good, no matter how bad it is at the start! (this goes for faceups, crafting, sewing for dolls, trying to get your grail...)

14. The doll hobby, like life, is full of second chances and fresh starts. Don't fear change; it may be just the thing you (or your dolls) need.

Giving something away can bring as much - or more - happiness than receiving something.

15. Patience is a much-needed virtue in this hobby! But you soon find out that good things come to those who wait.

I've also learned a deeper appreciation for the talent and artistry displayed on DOA. Clothes, faceups, photoshoots, wig-making, modding; so much creativity is rampant here.

The recast issue, while I'm sad that it has become the problem it has, has also given me a greater appreciation for all the work that sculptors put into these beautiful dolls. It makes me want to do all I can to support artists in their fight against recasting and bootlegging. I want to thank the true artists for not giving up, and sharing the beauty they create with us.

16. I learned to be patient by waiting for the doll to come to me

17. In order to obtain BJDs I FINALLY learned to use a computer, and to drive a car at the age of 49, (so that I could get a better job so I could afford dolls). I already knew how to design, pattern, sew, and paint, but I am s-l-o-w-l-y learning to be a better photographer. Patience and budgeting I have always been able to do, but I think I am improving at still.

- Now if I could just figure out how to restring the bloody things!!!!

18. I've learned patience (waiting for my doll, his clothes, etc to get to me). My constant buying of jewelry has stopped because I've found that I'd much rather buy him things than spend the money on buying myself more jewelry I don't need (this shocked my husband, he didn't think anything would stop me from buying jewelry, lol). My doll also helped me to not game as much as I used to because I wanted to spend the time with him (again, another shocker to my husband as he didn't think anything could tear me away from gaming).

19. I think now, a year in the hobby, I have learned that you should go for the dolls that you *really* want. Even if they seem huge or really expensive, or just a long wait away. I like my first girl and won't part with her, but I have a head and a full doll that probably won't stay with me. So, I guess the lesson is that even if it's kinda nice looking, readily available and/or cheap doesn't necessarily mean you should buy it.

I don't know if it's such an "unexpected" lesson, many people tell newbies this exact same thing. Sometimes you think you know better or think you want something despite not being 100% into it.

20. What I learned from this hobby, are "patience" and "hand-sewing technique". :XD: I used to be very unskillful at sewing stuffs but after I got my first doll, I became like a sewing machine. And I have definitely now more patience for waiting something or someone too.