1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Actual Killers As A Theme: Going Too Far

Jan 12, 2012

1. I was looking at the new Doll Heart collection for Feb 2012, and I saw something that disturbed me: the naming/theme of some of the outfits is "Lizzie Borden Took An Axe" And one of them was Yo sized!

Now, I understand some people have a thing for the dark and macrabe, and there have been similar themes like this before regarding death and violence that have been accepted. (I almost put this in the thread about zombie tinies because of the death - children connections.) If it was based on, say, Sweeney Todd or any other fictional killer I would not have a problem. But I think using the name of an actual real life murderer who killed actual people when making a product like this is going too far. It trivializes and sensationalizes and glorifies the killings too much, IMO.

I can kind of understand that because the people who made and marketed these are not American, they might be removed enough that they don't think it's offensive; Lizzie Borden has long past into the realm of pop culture horror and stories told around the campfire. Maybe they think she's an urban legend, even. But she's not, and I find it horribly offensive.

What do you guys think? Over reaction or not?

Links to the outfits in question o FeatherFall (The other ones were "My Mother Has Killed Me", which I'm not really happy about either, but it's not based in fact.). :
      SD17 Clifton - http://www.featherfall.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=345_346&products_id=4053
      SD/SD13 Karley - http://www.featherfall.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=345_219&products_id=4056
      YoSD Riya - http://www.featherfall.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=345_348&products_id=4058

2. I'm actually not really offended by that...I don't think it glorifies anything either. If you find it offensive, don't buy it or look at it?? :/ In fact, I think there was a nickelodeon show that had some Lizzie Borden rhyme.

3. Sweeney Todd may or may not have been based on a real killer as well :D
      I can see the disjoint when it's tinies - little babyfaced axmurderess, fun! NOT. But think what the movies did w/Chuckie!
      & yes, there WAS a Nickelodeon (or some such) that did that - I remember my daughter laughing about it.

4. It's a bit tasteless, but no worse than Marilyn Manson (and the rest of his band members) taking on monikers of serial killers.

5. Overreaction. Whether it's based on a real person or imaginary. For the basic reason that if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. You can take your offendedness & click the Back button with it.

Also, it's only the sales-page photoshoots that include the grim nursery-rhymes (they've been doing Mother Goose themed releases for months now; last time it was Solomon Grundy). The outfits don't come with any gore on them. In fact the outfits have nothing really to do with the nursery-rhymes at all. So if you don't like the sales pages, but you like the clothes, then just buy the outfits secondhand.

Next!

6. I'm not offended at all. I don't give things like that too much weight in my brain, I guess. But it takes a lot to offend me. Plus, in my opinion, they don't seem to be glorifying or making light of Lizzie Borden and what she did. They're just taking a line from a nursery rhyme which children, who one could argue YoSDs are representative of children within the doll community, would probably sing. I did as a kid and I didn't sit around agonizing over the reality of the rhyme. I guess, to me, it seems they're not naming the outfit after a serial killer but after just the nursery rhyme, nothing more, nothing less. It'd be like being mad they named an outfit "London Bridge is falling down" because London Bridge actually did fall down and many people died.

7. I don't think they are glorifying anything by naming their outfit collection after an actual killer, they just used a name they thought would fit with the theme of the clothes and are trying to put out a new idea. I have to agree, if it bothers you a lot then just don't buy it I guess.

8. It doesn't bother me at all. Especially since it's only clothing sets and not an actual doll based on Lizzie Borden. Even if it was an actual doll it probably wouldn't bother me. I've always thought it would be interesting to stay the night in her house (they turned it into a bed and breakfast) but, not enough to make a special trip.
      Now, if we were talking about a still alive killer that enjoys every drop of publicity that comes their way, like Charles Manson, that might be different. Someone like him would probably never find out about it anyway.

9. I think they based it on the rhyme. The one that goes

Lizzie Borden took an ax
      Gave her father forty whacks
      When she saw what she had done
      She gave her mother forty-one

At least, to my memory, that was what it said. Dollheart has also other nursery rhyme themed sets, so I don't think they were trying at all to glorify killers.

10. Thank you. I wasn't sure what everyone was talking about until that jogged my memory. I do remember hearing that when I was a young child.

I don't think they're glorifying murder. It just seems like they're going along with the nursery rhyme theme, as gory as it may be. There aren't many "innocent" nursery rhymes. There would hardly be any left if they were that offensive.

11. ...and technically, Lizzie Borden was not convicted of either murder at her trial. People remained suspicious she did it, but she also could have been actually innocent, like it was decided at her trial. I think it's really overkill (pun intended :P )

12. Like one pointed out, Lizzie Bordon was not convicted, and in our legal system this means they are free of charges. So, they are more marketing on the myths and lore of someone like Lizzie Bordon. Personally, I love tales revolving around female killers. It is so fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Maybe if it had been 'Casey Anthony' I would have been more shocked but Lizzie Borden is just a piece of pop culture these days. That happened over a hundred years ago! I've seen cartoons, TV shows, and novels that ripped off that story.

14. I've seen worse. Living Dead Dolls, case in point.

15. Like what most people have said, it's just part of Dollheart's nursery rhyme themed collections and it just so happens to mention a person who may/may not have been an actual killer. Most nursery rhymes have rather gory origins...

16. The prices are more of a crime imo (sorry, couldn't resist....)

17. I could see it being offensive. I don't think it goes too far as, and people have already said it, Lizzie Borden was not charged guilty, but say if a doll theme was based after John Wayne Gacy or Albert Fisher--I'd probably be mortified.

It is a nursery rhyme though, and most nursery rhymes do not exactly have the most innocent of visuals. Like I said, I don't think using the Lizzie Borden rhyme is going too far, but I do see where you're coming from. I'm actually shocked that a lot of people here seem to dismiss possible offense as invalid...I'm not one for political correctness myself, but I can get why this is disturbing even if this doesn't bother me personally.

18. If I should be offended by a doll company using a nursery rhyme based on a person accused, but acquitted of double murder I think there would be no end to what I'd be offended about. Now, if this was about an actual killer (but this is about a nursery rhyme), it would be rather inconsiderate towards the loved ones of the victims, although, in this case I think they have all passed away in the past 120 years.

Using a recent murder case to push sales is offensive, in my opinion. Murder as a theme is questionable, but does not have to be offensive in all cases.

19. Isn't this almost similar to the topic of using historical figures? Like one doll company made a doll that resembles a Nazi soldier; or even Hitler? Or Volks making the BJD of Masamune and such? Though imo, if like say, using a recent murder case and using the killer's name? It would be just tactless and tasteless.

But really; like I am sure many earlier had pointed out; if you don't like it, just don't buy it. Hit the 'Back' button and move on.

20. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Anyway. I've got far more important, more in the present things to get offended over. Things that actually pertain to me and the world I live in.

Honestly, a sensational news story that happened over a hundred years ago isn't lore or just a story only to dollmakers in Korea - I bet if you ask any American under the age of 50 about Lizzie Borden, a good many of them won't even know who she is. A percentage of them might think she was a fictional character. Really old stuff, even horrible and scary stuff, gets romanticized all the time. In a hundred years, maybe someone will put out a doll of Casey Anthony, and nobody will care.