1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl over Resin?

Sep 8, 2016

1. Ive been in the hobby for almost a year. I have collected 5 dolls from different companies and I love all but one of them. As I'm looking for new dolls, I find myself searching for more vinyl dolls than resin. I'm starting to like the vinyl dolls a lot more than I thought I would. Has anyone else gone through a time where you wanted more vinyl than resin? also is it alright to post pictures of dollfie dreams and smart dolls or is it only resin dolls that are allowed to be displayed?

2. Vinyl dolls have several advantages over resin dolls, so I can see where you're coming from. I know people who exclusively collect vinyl, and others who have a mix of vinyl and resin. It's totally up to you!

I generally prefer resin, but I do have a Dollfie Dream that I love! There's a Dollfie Dream on my wishlist, too. :blush

Dollfie Dreams are on-topic for DoA, but Smart Dolls are not. At this point in time, the rules for determining an on-topic doll are pretty silly but it looks like DoA is starting to change their policies, so maybe Smart Dolls will be on topic someday!

3. Thank you for informing me on the rules. Yeah I have a mix of both and while I'm going more into vinyl, iplehouse is still my all time favorite company so far. I cant wait to get my hands on the EID Aaliyah doll. She has been my grail since my small time in the hobby

4. also is it alright to post pictures of dollfie dreams and smart dolls or is it only resin dolls that are allowed to be displayed?[/QUOTE]
      my vinyls and hard plastics aren't allowed or my US resins. I did half and half about a decade ago then didn't buy any more of anything really except Pullips and then dolls people have gifted me with for models to make them things [like the porcelain and a Phincen]. Will get more of those as well as some Junky Spots but am gravitating more towards resins completely. I like the ball jointed do to posing and fixability if I ever get the nerve. I found the bjd woman I had saved before that has put together great tool sets for that. I like to be able to change ot eyes, hair etc.

5. my vinyls and hard plastics aren't allowed or my US resins. I did half and half about a decade ago then didn't buy any more of anything really except Pullips and then dolls people have gifted me with for models to make them things [like the porcelain and a Phincen]. Will get more of those as well as some Junky Spots but am gravitating more towards resins completely. I like the ball jointed do to posing and fixability if I ever get the nerve. I found the bjd woman I had saved before that has put together great tool sets for that. I like to be able to change ot eyes, hair etc.[/QUOTE]
      that's why I like the dollfie dream and smart doll. I can customize them just as much as resin. that's another thing making me gravitate closer to them lol

6. ]
      that's why I like the dollfie dream and smart doll. I can customize them just as much as resin. that's another thing making me gravitate closer to them lol[/QUOTE]
      I have heard of the natural skin feel on their listings and was wondering if they had coated them. All on my nonresin Tonners I am having issues with [not bad but there and maybe mental, lol] as once their joints get loose it is over. I love my little Ais and Pullips but not happy with how fragile their wrists are for the larger nonAi/Pangjus. The Junky Spot cats make me feel comfortable over the idea of using them to try to start faceups when I get the right materials. Y'all scare me with the hazard warnings on the sealant sprays

7. I have heard of the natural skin feel on their listings and was wondering if they had coated them. All on my nonresin Tonners I am having issues with [not bad but there and maybe mental, lol] as once their joints get loose it is over. I love my little Ais and Pullips but not happy with how fragile their wrists are for the larger nonAi/Pangjus. The Junky Spot cats make me feel comfortable over the idea of using them to try to start faceups when I get the right materials. Y'all scare me with the hazard warnings on the sealant sprays[/QUOTE]
      I think the dollfie dream has a realistic skin feel but the smart doll has a "toy" like feel. I really prefer the build of a dollfie dream over a smart doll but I like how light a smart doll is. yeah pullips are very fragile with their small limbs but they look great on their stands lol. I own 5 of them. pullip was my gateway drug into the hobby lol

8. I started with vinyl and have quite a large collection, got interested when I bought resin version of the vinyl. Have been buying resin bjd since. Have actually considered downsizing to increase room for mor bjds.

9. I have a few little vinyl Ais and Pullips that convinced me to finally take the leap into proper resin BJDs because I liked the increased variety of resin dolls, but I still like my little vinyl collection.

10. @NekoNyanMew Dollfie Dream is actually grandfathered, not on topic. Functionally it is the same (you can discuss them, share photos, sell them, etc), but is different in regards to the evaluation of other similar lines. Dollfie Dream are allowed here because they were previously on topic before DOA established itself as a forum specifically for resin ball joint dolls - allowing them to remain was more fair to the owners of these dolls.
      However as they are grandfathered, they do not have any bearing on the evaluation of similar, new lines from other companies (such as Smart Doll).
      dollfiedreams.com is a fairly active forum dedicated to Dollfie Dream, but they also have subforums for other vinyl dolls like Smart Doll.

@glynjay Its actually pretty normal to have interest in various materials and types of dolls. I personally have a MDD that I adore - and I have found that I like her and my resin dolls for different reasons. Many owners on this forum collect more than just resin bjds and not being resin doesn't make them inferior - just different. One of my friends has a huge collection of Monster High dolls, etc.

11. @eleniel - The fact that Dollfie Dreams have been an integral part of Den of Angels since before it became a forum should shed some light on the Smart Doll (and similar vinyl dolls) situation.

The rules are strict for a reason and I completely understand that, but if Dollfie Dreams were grandfathered in simply because they used to be on topic, and other new, almost identical dolls are not allowed, then why are new Dollfie Dream releases considered "grandfathered" in?

Smart Dolls are, if I'm not mistaken, almost entirely compatible with Dollfie Dreams. If new DD releases are 100% allowed, then it only makes sense to me that Smart Dolls should be allowed too. I can see why other dolls like VMF50 would differ, though. Regardless, that's why I think the rules should be re-considered. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

12. Dollfie Dream is grandfathered as I said. I am quite aware of their history on the forum and in the old yahoo group.
      Smart Doll and other similar lines were not around when the forum was established or when the tooicality decisions were made therefore were never allowed so cannot be grandfathered.
      If you'd like to debate moderation team decisions further please do so in Ask the Moderators.

13. Its just something about my vinyls that I love. there are a few resin that I am really excited to get in the future. my grail doll is a iplehouse Aaliyah. I think after her no more dolls for a while lol. I'm also looking to get the doll leaves Asa and ringdoll Boyce

14. I have one resin (i think) and one vinyl
      While vinyl are more elastic resins are more durable

15. I only have one vinyl but I want to pick up my first resin this coming year.:dance (I don't have enough money saved yet to get her by the end of this year.):...(

16. I don't really like vinyl for BJDs (it's fine for my 1/6 dollfies and obitsus and similar) because you can't effectively carve or sand it for modding and I can't not mod.

17. i am into both of them