1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

vinyl vs resin

Jun 21, 2009

1. I have owned two dollfie dreams in the past. I think they have gorgeous bodies and awesome posing but each time I was just too worried about staining them. If I ever have another anime like doll, it will be resin.

2. Please don't leave. Vinyl lovers unite! :) I have close to 30 vinyls - lots of vinyl love here. :D

3. Many of us love vinyl dolls, it's just that they are offtopic on this board, so we just talk about them in our blogs/ livejournals/ flickr accounts and so on...:) I have 4 obitsus (3 with Pawn heads, one with the GliB resin head) and a dollfie plus with a miniature Kira head (one of Volks' Four Sisters, made Barbie-size).

4. I have an Obitsu... compare to my resin BJD... she does pose really well... even can stand on one feet (^^)v which is very hard for my resin BJD to do that (can be said impossible XD )... Just got her default head faceup... looks so sweet too (very anime-manga style)... For the stain... I do agree that it's a lot harder to clean them (T A T)

5. I have and love both, but I must say I do find myself liking my Dollfie Dream more than my other resin dolls. She is personally more aesthetically pleasing to me, but I'm also an anime fan. She was also my first so there's probably some bias there too.

Comparing them, it's really a matter of preference. Where resin will yellow, vinyl stains (vinyl will yellow too, but much much slower, and resin can stain too but not quite as easily. And there are plenty of ways to avoid both as much as possible). Vinyl is soft and flexible, whereas resin is hard. Dollfie Dreams (since I don't own any other vinyl doll I can't say anything on their posing) can hold a pose forever, but resin dolls have a much much wider range of motion. Someone mentioned warmth... I actually find resin to be cold and unpleasant to touch, it takes a very long time for my dolls to absorb any of my heat, whereas my vinyl girl is far more comfortable for me to handle and warms up more quickly (I live in a cooler climate and my dolls are kept in a very cool area). Pricewise they're about equal nowadays. You can easily find a resin for less than a vinyl, and some vinyls (primarily limited DD's) will go for much much more than most resin bjds. And then there's weight. Resin can get very heavy very quickly, especially if you're carrying around a larger sized doll for an extend period of time. Vinyl on the other hand is very very light and is much easier to carry around for a while, even if the doll is of the larger variety. Having held both my DD and my soom fairy (a small resin 27cm doll) I can safely say that they weigh about the same, and my DD is far larger than her. My resin MSD sized doll actually weighs about twice as much as my DD and is the smaller of the two. Vinyl does seem to be more durable from a fall, but I don't think they could handle the same abuse from rough handling/posing/playing that a resin strung bjd could simply because there's only so far the internal skeleton can go before snapping. Resin can be sanded and more easily customized, where on a vinyl only certain parts will take well to sanding.

All in all, one isn't necessarily better than the other. It all depends on what you like, and what you're looking for in a doll. I went with my Dollfie Dream for my first doll because at the time she was cheaper and readily availible and like I said before, I'm an anime fan so her anime look appealed to me.

6. I have had a big Obtisu and a hybrid resin/vinyl doll and lots of little OT Obitsus. I much prefer resin.

The vinyl dolls are cute and pose really well, but I like the weight, feel, texture and look of resin better. I've had a lot of vinyl/plastic dolls in the past, and I just like a change.

The vinyl dolls are nice, just not for me.

7. I will be purchasing my first resin doll based on sculpt and personalizing it to my standards. However, I will also be purchasing Obitsu dolls to create cosplay figures of my favorite anime and manga characters. This thread has been incredibly helpful in informing me what to expect from each material. Thanks to all!

8. I have a beautiful Dollfie Dream for years, and I adored her. She was superior at posing to any of my resin dolls, so my favorite when it came to doing outdoor shoots. Her body was also lighter, so I could put her in more precarious positions. Resin dolls tend to flop under their own weight sometimes. Vinyl dolls also don't chip when they fall on their faces, lol.

I did end up selling my DD, but that was mostly because I wanted to change up my collection and have some different dolls. I have a couple new Volks SDs, and I love them, but I do miss my vinyl girl's posability. The thing I like better about resin is that it can be repainted more times... the vinyl heads tend to absorb the tint of the paints after a while.