1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Waining interest?

Sep 12, 2017

1. Happen to me as well as hobbies come and go but dolls have always stuck around :) I tend to leave a hobby a little only to go back, rediscover it and go back into it :)

2. My interest comes and goes mainly due to finances, LOL. If I had an amazing income you better believe I'd be spoiling my current dolls with more outfits and eyes and wigs, haha. Since I can't do that as often as I'd like, I kind of put them to the side until my interest peaks again. Looking at new dolls or accessories to buy is expensive, but I knew that coming into the hobby. I just take breaks from time to time. My DC boy has been in his box for a couple years just because I'm trying to work on a new look for him...eventually. I think it's an inevitable thing with any hobby; it isn't just full-throttle 100% of the time, and that's okay.

3. I definitely go through highs and lows with interest in the doll hobby.

Sometimes I don't feel like sewing and sometimes another hobby is grabbing more interest so that's where the disposable income is going...

4. For me it comes and goes sometimes, as with most of my interests. But i feel like if its something that you really truly enjoy itll come back eventually. I just took like a year long break without touching my dolls much. I didnt worry a ton because i knew id get back to it like i have been lately.

I feel like sometimes it helps to just let the waining interest pass.

5. The scary thing is when i stop buying doll stuffs! Well i am saving up for a trip to Tokyo in Feb next year so i cannot buy any doll stuffs now if not i wont have any money to buy doll when i am there! But bcos i dont have anything new, i kinda neglected my dolls! :(

6. Have you ever felt disappointed in a doll? I've heard about people not being able to bond with their dolls, and up until recently I was in absolute love with the only full doll I have (other than her I only have floating heads), but it seems like now I lost that "love" I felt. It's just like I was building a bond with her and everything was going so great, but then something changed. I had got in some new wigs and outfits and even bought supplies to try a faceup on her, but for some reason when I look at her right now all I see is disappointed. Like I no longer feel that love for her. She was my first ever real bjd, so this is heartbreaking. I've been trying to interact with her for the last hour and all I ended up doing was putting her away and crying.

I honestly don't know what to do. Should I sell her and start anew? She holds so much sentimental value to me, so I don't know if I can part with her, but unless I do I probably can't afford another bjd for a while. Maybe that's for the better?

Has anyone felt this way?

7. My only suggestion to deal with this is to try something new. Not to sell the doll, but try something new with her... if you've been going with a modern feel for her, maybe try something fantasy. Or science fiction! Do something that will pull you out of the funk you've been feeling. When I was feeling like selling some of my dolls, I found a new story to tell with them - and it worked!

And if that doesn't work, put her away for a while and don't worry about it. Sometimes you just gotta let these feelings cycle through.

8. I would concentrate on Real Life for a while. When you find doll stories and ideas start bubbling again, she will be there waiting. That is the good thing about dolls - they are not aware of the passing of time!

9. I would say don't stress it as well. Take your time and focus on something else for a while, until the excitement comes back - it usually will when you start feeling inspired again. Or at least give it some more time before selling her; from my personal experience I regret selling several dolls I felt most connected to due to losing interest in them for a moment, only for it to return when the dolls were already gone and with their new owners. :kitty1

10. Try to take some time for yourself right now. It could be that you're forcing yourself and that's why you're getting stressed. If you really do decide to sell then putting them in a box and out of mind may help you decide if selling is the best option. At times I have felt stressed with my doll because I felt like I had to do more with her but the love for her keeps coming back.

11. I've been collecting dolls all my life, I'm 52, so it's a long time. I don't always "fall in love" with dolls. At some point in life, I never looked at the dolls. I keep them away safely. I got involved in other hobbies, busied myself with work and life, traveled, adopt a pet etc. It is normal to take a break from doll hobbies. You just run out of interest. Don't sell the dolls, just keep them away and like what Vehngence said, spend time for yourself. Get on with life. Enjoy other aspects of life. One day, you will be interested in BJDs again and you will find your dolls waiting for you patiently.

I am currently not in the BJD hobby, not actively looking for new acquisitions, not even accessories. Some of my dolls are on display at home on my shelf while others are in storage. I don't spend time with my dolls anymore but there are up time and down time in this hobby. I expect to get more involved later.

12. A quick tip. Have someone else do her face up. You get a few weeks off and by the time you see her it's a whole new start.

13. I have felt that way. I got my first almost ten years ago, and while he still holds a lot of sentimental value, that's about it. He's MSD, I prefer SD now. I feel like his head is too big for his body. I no longer own any clothes or accessories or even a good wig for him. He's damaged and yellowed and probably not even worth $100. He doesn't fit in with my current crew in aesthetics or size. I don't feel he's in condition to display. BUT! I hold onto him anyway. He usually stays in his box in the closet, but sometimes I bring him out for a bit. I can't justify selling him, since he was my first, even though he doesn't meet my current criteria for buying a doll.

In other cases, I've also felt very uninterested in a doll. Sometimes, taking a break from them works. Often when I start losing interest, it's not because of the doll, but because of negativity in my life making me lose interest in things I normally love, so then it's best to just take a break, and feel that renewed love later when I'm feeling better. Sometimes trying different names, personalities, styles, etc might help. Sometimes focusing on writing their story helps the bond.

But sometimes....it really is just gone. If you're not totally sure, put her in her box for a month or two. If you don't miss her and have no urge to pull her out of that box, it might really be gone. Then you might want to consider selling her or trading for something you like better. While many people keep their first forever, just as many end up deciding they like a different doll much better and do sell the first. There's no wrong way to enjoy the hobby, so if letting her go would make you feel better, don't feel guilty! Even though they can feel like little people at times, in the end, they're just resin, they won't be upset or hurt by it.

14. I was away in the forum for about 2 years, lost interest in BJDs. Caught up with my other hobbies, busied myself with work, pets, pay bills etc etc etc. I came back to the forum because I wanted to attend the Volks LA Dolpa in Aug this year. I have been in the hobby for almost 10 years but never attended a Volks only Dolpa. I did not plan to acquire any dolls, only wanted to experience a Dolpa, meet people and admire their dolls. In the end, I took home a Yo-Midi, a doll stand and 2 pairs of boots. I felt tempted to enter the lottery for SD17 one off Williams but did not do so. It was a great experience, I know what to expect if I attend another Dolpa. I love the people I met. :hug:

I still am not active in the hobby. I keep all my dolls including the new Yo Midi :apirate:, post in the general discussion forums here, interact with people online but I don’t spend time with my dolls, taking a break.

One day, I am sure interest and love will return. May be then, I will find Williams in the future.

#34 stargazer_i, Oct 12, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    15. Oh man, this happens to me quite a bit. I just took one of my girls out of her box after quite a few months and I feel inspired again to sew for her... but who knows how I will feel later. As much as I have moments where I want to sell my girls I'm glad I didn't.

16. Sure, it depend on of I'm able to do some work on them or not. And it definitely depends on if I got time, or if I'm very busy.

Currently, things have been a bit slow, but that's because there is a lot going on in my life. Still, everytime things calm down a bit, I think about new modifications and do research on how to pull it of. I'm currently in the process of restyling all of them and it takes time to come up with good ideas.

17. I definitely feel the same way. When I started the hobby I would look at websites selling dolls for hours on end, on Flickr to look for ideas and inspiration for hours as well. Now I am going to be selling my whole resin collection because I just don't feel the same attachment to them anymore. I think part of the problem is that I've gotten so busy with work and real-life stuff, and when I started the hobby I had much more time.

18. If you're in the hobby a long time, it is natural to take breaks. I've not been one to sell off my dolls, although I've done a few sales and trades when I haven't bonded with one. Also, frankly, the dollar value on a lot of my collection has gone down a lot, except for maybe the Dollfie Dream dolls. I have the room to store them, so I do. But when I have some free time, I take some of them out of their boxes and the magic is still there.

19. Many people's interests will come and go, it's no worries. But for the dolls in my case, when my interest wains, I break out the ol camera and I will take shots of the dolls in different settings. That always gives me a me appreciation for the dolls. Also gets the creative juices flowing. Which i think is key to keeping interest in something.

20. Definitely. I was really into the hobby in my starting years 2012-2013, nowadays not so much. I graduated from high school in 2014 and had to save money for college. I'm still in no place to be saving money for dolls unfortunately. Dolls can wait. It does feel like I've lost some interest, but I still love them so much! I know it's because I haven't been able to make any purchases for them or for a new doll. So, for now, I've been on a very long hiatus. I know the dolls and the community will be waiting for me when I return. :)